• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What really happens when you send a letter to 'Any Canadain Forces Member'?

ENGINEERS WIFE

Inactive
Reaction score
Not sure where exactly to put this. Searched, but couldn't find the answer.  Mods, move if you have too.
When someone, such as myself, sends a letter to 'Any Canadian Forces Member' what exactly happens to it?  Besides the obvious, goes in the mail to Belleville, on a plane at Trenton.  Who, what and how do they decide where and who it goes too once it hits the ground in the sandbox or wherever it's sent?  I'm just really curious.  And I know that some smart Army.ca member will have the answers.  Thanks, Robin

I can answer what happens when it hits the Pl level, they usually come in batches and we divide them up between the Sects. From there they are given to either pers that don't receive a lot of mail or people that can be counted on to reply.

Engineers Wife,

That is so true, we use to get so many of them.  A lot were from schools, and from the Granny Bgd (2 that really come to mind).  I still have every letter that I got, and I replied to everyone of them!!  To the school kids, I would just write to the class, as the questions were all the same.

For me, it lifted my spirits, knowing that people took the time to write.

Onboard ship they are given to the Chiefs of Department, who gives them to the P1s, who passes them down to one of the P2s who asks if anyone is interested in responding. there is usually never any shortage of volunteers. Answering letters from children and veterans seems to be the particular favourites.

Starlight31 said:
Engineers Wife,

That is so true, we use to get so many of them.  A lot were from schools, and from the Granny Bgd (2 that really come to mind).  I still have every letter that I got, and I replied to everyone of them!!  To the school kids, I would just write to the class, as the questions were all the same.

For me, it lifted my spirits, knowing that people took the time to write.

Thanks for this - I sometimes send "Any Cdn Service Member" postcards to some of the more far-flung missions, and it's good to hear they get read (I assumed that even if I didn't get any responses).

Thanks for all the responses, always glad to hear they get to someone.  And they put a smile on someones face.  I, personally, have sent out 11 so far, with $5 worth of Timmies cert. in them and I have gotten one thank you from a soldier in OMLT.  I really don't expect a response, as I get that they might be a little busy with other things, but it sure is nice when you get one.  Makes my day ;D  Thanks for letting me know, Robin

- 2002, in Kandahar, my SSM handed me an opened envelope and said "You're the only one anywhere near her age - YOU write her back." 

So, I did.

In Africa, Postie used to bring 'em to the mess hall - the envelopes were much tastier than the food...

I kept all mine too - wrote about dozen replys, mainly kids - one was from the Granny Brigade. Now I have the honor and pleasure of helping the Granny Brigade directly!!  I love my job sometimes!!

Back