• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What MP Dr. Keith Martin didn't say about Afghan healthcare

Babbling Brooks

Inactive
Reaction score
Martin wrote an op-ed in yesterday's National Post that cherry-picked the facts so blatantly, I had to rebut it.  Which meant doing some research that led to some interesting statistics on the progress being made on Afghan healthcare - some of which surprised even me.

http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2007/08/martin-misleading-on-afghan-healthcare.html

Add this post to the growing list of "things you won't read in the mainstream media."

Gee, you think Member of Parliament Dr. Keith Martin  is having some difficulties deciding which priorities he should follow?

I acknowledge that charity is difficult, and politicians pouting from the lobby-bar of whatever Hilton they are staying in tonight should be ignored in principle, ... but,

I think there is something to this one, (which of course is a retread of the same issue from months ago).

With all the Billions of dollars looking for something useful to do in Afghanistan, and many long-term useful UN or World Bank, or global charities doing lots of good things, .... but,

Whoever is running the Canadian Military Medical Unit in Kandahar should be given $100,000 a year to improve health care in the neighbourhood.  He can (likely) buy a truckload of basic medicine, bed sheets, ... from Pakistan or the local market, pay nurses salaries, repair the generator, fix the roof, ... and maybe even send a doctor or nurse for a weekly visit to improve things.  This is a drop in the bucket for the Billions of available charity, and the immense Afghan health problems, but we have the people at the scene and with the knowledge, and I am sure they are doing some charity themselves, but if we gave a slug of money they could do much more.  The same $100,000 sent to World-Health-Organization Zurich-Office, would take 3 years to find its way to Afghanistan, and 90% would be consumed in expenses. 

There is always risk that the money might be stolen or not spent, but a "canadian", "doctor", "soldier", are good enough credentials to just send him the money, and let him leave the base for a few hours to "make a difference".

Babbling Brooks said:
Martin wrote an op-ed in yesterday's National Post that cherry-picked the facts so blatantly, I had to rebut it.  Which meant doing some research that led to some interesting statistics on the progress being made on Afghan healthcare - some of which surprised even me.

http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2007/08/martin-misleading-on-afghan-healthcare.html

Add this post to the growing list of "things you won't read in the mainstream media."

great blog brooks. I've seen some of those stats before but forgot where. It's another thing I can show everyone I know about the good the media doesn't show.

Whoever is running the Canadian Military Medical Unit in Kandahar should be given $100,000 a year to improve health care in the neighbourhood...This is a drop in the bucket for the Billions of available charity, and the immense Afghan health problems, but we have the people at the scene and with the knowledge, and I am sure they are doing some charity themselves, but if we gave a slug of money they could do much more.

DualCore, you're right, something like a targeted $100K could do a great deal of good in the hands of a front-line medical professional at a place like Mir Weis.  There are some issues with doing it like that, however - which doesn't make it a bad idea, but they need to be taken into consideration before taking that course of action.

There are a million such projects in Kandahar that could use $100K, or $50K, or $10K.  And we can't do them all, so we prioritize.  When you followed the links in my post, I'm sure you noticed the Canadian donation of $6K worth of medical supplies and linens to the police hospital, and the $37K worth of diagnostic kits donated to help nursing students at Mir Weis.  These piecemeal, one-off efforts are good for quick-impact where you can do them without distracting from the bigger capacity-building projects (like the $5M CIDA put into a polio vaccination program to immunize over 7M children in Afghanistan).  But there's only so much money our country is willing to donate, and there's only so many projects that money can be spread over before becoming ineffective.

Achieving that balance between immediate relief and long-term development is a tough problem, and one with no definitive answers.  Even the doctor to whom you'd give the money would have some difficulty deciding what to do with it.  Do you buy medicine with it?  If so, what happens when the supply runs out?  Do you buy thousands of bandages, or do you buy a couple of high-priced pieces of equipment (x-ray machine, difibrillator, etc)?  Do you spend it all hiring more doctors and nurses?  Do you pay a local construction company to improve the facility, the infrastructure?  Or, do you go the opposite way and invest the $100K in something safe and give them a monthly stipend to supplement their meagre budget?  The bandages probably provide the best bang for your buck right now, and the monthly income probably the best bang in the long-term.  Which is more important?

Speaking with a friend at CEFCOM a few months ago, I asked if more money for development was required to get reconstruction moving faster in Kandahar.  He told me that while more money is never a bad thing, there's only so much that can be done quickly with the infrastructure - or lack thereof - in Afghanistan right now.  Few skilled tradesmen, few doctors and nurses, few educators, etc mean that the ability to actually use the money available right now is limited.  In other words, the money isn't the bottleneck in the system right now: it's the capacity to spend it effectively at a local level.

Or, put another way, the problem trying to drink from a fire-hose isn't the water supply, it's trying to get some into your mouth without losing half your cheek.

I know that's only one fellow's opinion, but as he was working on the file every day and had spent time in Kandahar himself, I thought it worth noting.

Not an easy problem, that's for sure.

And thanks, forcerecon85, for the kind words.

Knowing the Doctor/MP for a number of years and having read his article through twice I disagree. His so called cherry picking of facts is based on an expert opinion of someone who has been there and done that. Again going on memory I think he was Medicine Sans Frontier a couple of times in the Angola/Namibia/South Africa go round. In 2000/2001 he was very good in assisting me to ensure I had my facts straight and gave me quite a lot of useful information/pictures of his own to strengthen my arguments etc. I think the problems lies with the one mentioned by name NGO and the reference to others. One I surmise is the fact they are not the ones deciding how to spend the money or are spending the money and therefore getting the credit for it. Also the publicity that goes along with that credit. They have a pretty good lobby group bending his ear. And again if memory serves me right they all packed up and fled for the boarders when things started getting excited. Actually the only thing I really hold against him is that he is a politician now instead of doing amputee surgery on children in conditions that make AFG look like a university teaching hospital like he used too.

my .02

edit:grammer

Born in London, England, Keith earned his Bachelor of Science (1982) and Doctor of Medicine at the University of Toronto (1986). During his university years he held several jobs to pay for his education including being a correctional officer, and medical researcher.

After graduating he worked in British Columbia as an emergency room physician and general practitioner from 1987 to 2006. He has been a Member of Parliament since 1993 winning five general elections in the riding of Esquimalt—Juan de Fuca on Vancouver Island.

In 1992 he organized a relief program that allowed British Columbians to clothe more than 15,000 African refugees.

Dr. Martin’s work in Parliament has been quite broad and includes; health care, international affairs, international development, defence, social program renewal, the environment, and poverty reduction amongst others. In Parliament he has championed important legislation including, a National Head Start Program for children, democratizing parliament, banning landmines, saving our health care system, preventing deadly conflict, etc. He has been a delegate to conflicts in the Sudan, Colombia, the Middle East and Zimbabwe and has provided emergency relief in a number of areas including Southeast Asia after the tsunami, and Sudan. He has held many positions in Parliament including Parliamentary Secretary for National Defence, and holding the Chief Opposition Critic posts in Foreign Affairs, International Development, and Health. His work on the environment has been recognized by the Sierra Club. In 2004 he received an award from ICROSS International for his humanitarian efforts and was named by Macleans Magazine as one of the top 100 Canadians to watch.

Dr. Martin had a nationally syndicated TV show Beyond Politics from 1998 to 2002. He has written a bimonthly article in his riding for ten years and has had more than 100 articles published in major newspapers across Canada.

On January 23, 2006 Dr. Martin was re-elected for a fifth term as the Member of Parliament for Esquimalt - Juan de Fuca. Since then he has served as both the Official Opposition Critic for International Cooperation and the Official Opposition Critic for Foreign Affairs.

http://www.keithmartin.parl.gc.ca/bio.asp?lang=e

"After graduating he worked in British Columbia as an emergency room physician and general practitioner from 1987 to 2006. He has been a Member of Parliament since 1993 winning five general elections in the riding of Esquimalt—Juan de Fuca on Vancouver Island." Hence the work with Medicine Sans Frontier.

This is the same person that told veterans at a Senate Committee on National Defence and Security during a special session on the spraying of Agent Orange in Gagetown, that " it was sprayed to protect the soldier's"

Some protection.

I agree that something needs to be done, but I'm also aware of several instances in which clinics were destroyed, physicians and nurses kidnapped and killed for accepting NATO assistance during the Village Medical Outreach programs. Arms reach assistance through NGOs seems to be the best way to deal with this.

I, for one, would not volunteer to be the sole NATO health care provider tasked to "help out" at Mir Wais, and when we show up with the obligatory FP troops to do things, we tend to make a target of the facility.

This is something that CF (and allied) health care providers anguish over. It's a horrible situation to have a facility only miles away where we're required to keep X % of beds clear to handle the next MASCAL involving ISAF/ANA/ANP, and it's something that we discuss regularly around the coffee pot.  We've also been forced to send civilians to almost certain death or permanent disability by discharging them to less then stellar follow up care in order to keep that facility "green" to accept new patients.

We could, for instance, send medical stores over, but it's a matter of transfering appropriate technology, not just sending "stuff". We are also starting to send medical mentors over with the OMLTs.  People don't appreciate how much infrastructure is missing to support a modern health care system.  Are medical gasses even being produced in K'Har?  I'm not sure.  Parenteral nutrution formula and feeding kits?  Autoclaves? What about rehab equipment?

I've worked in the developing world, and when Westerners show up and set up high-end facilities, we still can't modernize an entire health care apparatus overnight.  Taking patients from the UK-donated, Local staff/Norweigan/French/UK/Canadian-staffed facility and sending them across the parking lot to the general care ward was similar to putting them in a time-machine and zapping them back 20 years or so.  I'm sure as soon as the expendable supplies ran out the standard of care dropped, despite the best efforts of the Western-trained physicians and nurses.  I've seen an MRI sit idle and unused for months because the country that donated it wasn't willing to fund the costs to Siemens to send a tech to fix a minor glitch.

Heck, even in Bosnia, onthe eve of EU membership, clinics had simple devices like glucometers, donated by Canadians, unuseable because they'd run out of test strips.  Do we donate a 20-year supply of items with a 3-year shelf-life only to have them age out on the shelves?

There's no easy solution, and I'm not saying there's not things we can do, but I'm a little annoyed to hear Canadian health care providers ( and Dr. Martin is not alone in this) gnash their teeth over this from their hotel bars when they're not stepping up and donating time, effort, or money to fix it.

PMT

As someone who's actually been to Mir Wais hospital, I can stipulate that some of Dr Martin's comments are accurate. What he doesn't mention is that the UAE has agreed to fund improvements for the hospital to the tune of several million USD. Of course as with all government funding it will take time for the money to arrive in theatre. In addition, the improvements may not be readily visible, particularly if they involve things such as salaries, training, and other intangibles. Yes, Mir Wais needs lots of work, but the whole of Afghanistan's medical system is bigger than just one hospital, as evidenced by what was not in Dr Marin's article. The improvements to medicine in Afghanistan must be jointly directed at improving access to health care in the rural communities, while improving the existing systems in the urban centers. Until the medical rank and file of Afghanistan is replenished, many of the improvements that Dr Martin desires are a long way off, and throwing money at the problem is nothing short of wasteful. Education takes time to deliver and acquire, and one doesn't grow a doctor or nurse overnight.

Well put.  First I've heard of the UAE investment, and that's a great solution...moderate Islamic nations getting involved.  Charity is one of the central tenets of Islam, and it's nice to see in action.

ModlrMike said:
As someone who's actually been to Mir Wais hospital, I can stipulate that some of Dr Martin's comments are accurate. What he doesn't mention is that the UAE has agreed to fund improvements for the hospital to the tune of several million USD. Of course as with all government funding it will take time for the money to arrive in theatre. In addition, the improvements may not be readily visible, particularly if they involve things such as salaries, training, and other intangibles. Yes, Mir Wais needs lots of work, but the whole of Afghanistan's medical system is bigger than just one hospital, as evidenced by what was not in Dr Marin's article. The improvements to medicine in Afghanistan must be jointly directed at improving access to health care in the rural communities, while improving the existing systems in the urban centers. Until the medical rank and file of Afghanistan is replenished, many of the improvements that Dr Martin desires are a long way off, and throwing money at the problem is nothing short of wasteful. Education takes time to deliver and acquire, and one doesn't grow a doctor or nurse overnight.

I have seen the place as well.. Dr. Martin is not off mark, and does make a relevant point in his NP article. If we can substantively support and develop the city's largest hospital, it would be a very visible way to demonstrate an improvement in quality of life for the average Afghan family.

I'll agree, he's not completely off point. However, dropping millions of dollars worth of equipment and technology into Mir Wais when there is nobody to maintain or repair it is wasteful. Low tech, far reaching, community based initiatives will do more for the Afghan health system that brining one hospital into the 21st century.

An "official" reply from Beverley J. Oda, Minister of International Co-operation

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=5b12ffb3-527b-4b30-9b89-ef1049accbd8

Our tax dollars are saving Afghan lives

National Post

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Re: Canada's Missed Opportunity In Afghanistan, Keith Martin, Aug. 21.

Liberal MP Keith Martin suggests that Canada has "neglected" health care in Afghanistan -- this could not be further from the truth. We are among the world's leading donors to the country and we continue to work with trusted partners, such as the World Health Organization and UNICEF, who are helping improve the health of the most vulnerable Afghans.

The number of Afghan mothers who benefit from the aid of a skilled childbirth worker has almost quadrupled since 2002. There has been a marked decrease in the infant death rate since 2001, with 40,000 fewer infant deaths per year. Today, 83% of the Afghan population has access to medical facilities, compared to a mere 9% in 2004.

In Kandahar, hundreds of thousands of children are receiving vaccinations. Since December, 2006, CIDA's lead support to the World Food Program has resulted in assistance to over 200,000 needy Kandaharis. In addition, Canada is a strong supporter of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), which is playing a lead role in improving public health care delivery at Mirwais Hospital. Canada's most recent contribution to the ICRC totalled $3-million. With Canadian assistance, UNICEF is also helping establish a Maternal Waiting Home at the hospital; once it is once fully operational, it is estimated that the facility will benefit more than 1,000 female patients each year.

We recognize that many challenges remain, and that rebuilding Afghanistan will take time, but we are seeing concrete results and we are resolute in our commitment to help the Afghan people emerge from decades of conflict, oppression and poverty.

Beverley J. Oda, Minister of International Co-operation, Ottawa.

© National Post 2007

Accurate or inaccurate, Dr Martin's article did one piece of good work. It elicited a response from a government official which actually talked about real work in Afghanistan and the good Canadians are doing there. We need more of that ... a lot more!

Patti

Back