• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What makes me a skilled or semi-skilled LCIS tech?

• Thread starter Thread starter T59
  • Start date Start date

T59

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day,
I have a quick question about the LCIS trade. What does it take to make someone semi-skilled? I think the expression speaks for itself but are there official guidelines the recruiter follows? I am submitting my application in no less then a year(mother is ill) and I think it would be good to collect assets for recruitment.

Are certifications enough to be semi-skilled?
Ex: Comptia A+, Comptia Security+, MCSA....

Would it be right to say that a college degree would make me skilled?

Thanks guys!

Hey T59,

I am sure someone will clariy me if I am incorrect on this but here goes...

Skilled:  You are 5A qualified in the trade from previous service, Regular or Reserve Force equivalent to the Reg Force, and require no training and can be posted to a unit upon enrolment/Component Transfer.

Semi-skilled:  You have some training which can be bypassed, but require the MOC courses, or some of them, before being posted. 

The first requirement for LCIS training-wise is POET (Performance-Oriented Electronics Training).  If you don't have a EET course, forget bypassing that.  Then you have your MOC training (Apprentice I believe) for LCIS.

I am currently doing a Component Transfer from Reserve Armoured Recce to Regular Force ATIS Tech (226), so I just happen to have all this sorted out in my head...I think.   ;)

I have 3 years of college (a 2 year Network Admin diploma and Post-Graduate, Information Systems Technologist) in Information Systems, 17 years in the CF BUT not in the ATIS trade, so I am semi-skilled and will be course loaded on POET before anything else.  I have lots of certifications (CNA, CNE, Master CNE, MCP, A+ and Network+) and while they don't make you semi-skilled, they will be in your favour when you file goes before a selection board, as in they won't hurt your application.

Hope that helps you some.

MRM

All the info I was looking for ...  and fast! 

Thanks for the prompt answer mrm!!!

Okay, sometimes you have to eat your words.  Here is one such time for me.

I was informed by the CFRC today that I was granted POET and MOC trng bypass for ATIS.  I have no idea why.  I honestly think I would benefit from the MOC (Apprentice) trng as a minimum.

Having said that, also consider the fact that I have been in "a little while" and have my courses up to SLC (Senior Leaders Course, or ILQ now) so...I obviously get to bypass BMQ and that stuff.  (I hope  ;D).

So you see, there is no rhyme or reason.  IF you have no previous  military experience, you may be granted "Acting Cpl" upon completion of BMQ, which is an Incentive posted on the CF Recruiting website. 

If you have previous service and education/experience relevant to your trade of choice, you may/may not get granted some qualifications. 

Having said that, my MCpl, who has 1 year less college than me, no industry certifications, considerably less "military T.I., courses and qual's" was given an offer for the same trade and has to do POET/MOC 3s as it stands today here in Halifax. 

Either way, I will finish with this; at no time is bettering your education and/or experience going to be a bad thing.  Nor will it ever hurt your application to the CF, if that is what you choose down the road or are in the process of.

I wish I could give you the key to how they decide what qual's you get, but I am unsure.  It does seem however for a "tech" trade like LCIS or ATIS, that a 2 year EET course is a better education than the one I have (I.T. specific).  Seems.

Hope this helps some, and I really enjoyed contradicting myself in such a short time!

;)

*editted for laziness and spelling in En-grish.

I was looking on the web to understand what is a LCIS.
As a civy, army acronyms are another universe :).

Then I found this :

Logistics (Support), Naval Reserve Officer  (LOG)

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/career/tradeinfo_e.aspx?id=1159

Yummie!

OK, now fire at will ; ) !

Try the CF recruiting website, Land Communications and Information Systems Technician...under the Army job listing.

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/army/index_e.aspx

Back