• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What location for sports programs.

Yodle King

Inactive
Reaction score
I am currently looking to join the army as an NCM.  I live in Calgary at the moment.  The question that is really on my mind is concerning military orientated sports programs.  I know that I would have to complete Basic and Trade training first before I would need to worry about this. 

Since I have to state a preferred location on my application, I was wondering if there were any garrisons that are large enough to house a competitive sports team.

I just realized that I have not stated which sports I am interested in.  The sports that I grew up playing were Football (Soccer) and Rugby.  Would really like to play rugby while i am serving my country.  I know that they currently have a team at RMC, but not sure about the CF.

Any help or clarification or web link on where and what sports programs are offered would be a great help. 

Most larger bases have sports teams.  That being said, you can "state your  preferred location" all you want.  Ultimately, the military will post you where they need you.

Most bases have inter-unit soccer and their is CISM soccer as well.  Rugby is hit or miss, mostly miss.  My suggestion if you want to play rugby, find a close team off base and play with them.  You'll find that teams that are close to the base have quite a few military members.

Thanks for the timely responses.  Well in my case, depending on where I get stationed all I can do is hope for the best that there is a good local rugby community.  Seeing as how the sport is quickly becoming popular across Canada (hell we are making qualifiers for the World Cup now).  I just know of popularity on the west coast though (Alberta and British Colombia). 

Anyone on the east coast (Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, etc.) know how the local popularity of the sport is?

Errrm, Ontario and Quebec were moved to the East coast?

He's gotta be using one of those new maps. The ones that show global warming made the sea rise swallowing NS NL and PEI.  ;D

I also wondered this, as I was a hockey goalie for years at a high level, and want to get back into it after joining up. I miss the team aspect, and the bond that ensues as a result. I'll be joining the Reg. Force Infantry in roughly a year and a bit.

From personal experience, I know that Kingston has quite a good rugby program.  Dedicated coaching staff (a former team Canada head coach is quite active with the organization), and they currently field 2 men's teams.  We used to play against teams from the Ottawa region (there are quite a few), so you should be fine if you ended up there as well.

http://rugbyottawa.com/

I have no personal experience with any of the other areas you mentioned, sorry.

I know greenwood has it's own hockey rink, or at least it did about 8 years ago when I was in Peewee, any other bases have their own rinks?

px90 said:
I know greenwood has it's own hockey rink, or at least it did about 8 years ago when I was in Peewee, any other bases have their own rinks?

Nope.  It is illegal for any member of the CF to play Canada's National Sport.

George Wallace said:
Nope.  It is illegal for any member of the CF to play Canada's National Sport.

That's a harsh law. Firing Squad?

Back