• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

what if u have a baby and want to be in the regular army?

crazyn

Inactive
Reaction score
hey all a friend of mine has been looking at the army but we are trying to figure out what would she do having a child and wanting to be in the reg force? if any o u guys got an idea please speak up
thanx all
crazyn :threat:

Well, first off, I would hope she would have a partner before planning on having a baby....lol

After that, it really depends on her situation. My best friend got married, had two kids and is still working with the RCD's with no issues, but her husband is also a civilian, so he is able to stay home while she is away.

My best advice would be for your friend to figure out which is a priority for herself. If joining is, then join and worry about the baby later....there are many years in the future for her to have a baby, don't let reproducing get in the way of a dream. I waited until I was done having kids before applying, but I really wish I had done so sooner, rather than later.

Hope this helps.

crazyn said:
hey all a friend of mine has been looking at the army but we are trying to figure out what would she do having a child and wanting to be in the reg force? if any o u guys got an idea please speak up
thanx all
crazyn :threat:

Everyone has to have a family care plan. That means if she is deployed for 6 mos to the Stan she has to have a plan in place to take care of her child. She doesn't get to DAG red everytime a deployment, the field, sea duty, courses come up. the CF is family friendly but she has to be realistic...she will be required to be away from home...so plan on it now or don't join.

Stay home.

Doesn't matter if you are in the army, going to university, or working a career, this is a major life choice. And it is you choice.

As for timing, you should expect to join and work for 3-6 yrs before you are fully trained and capable so that giving birth will not interfere with your career progression. The mistake too many make is not getting fully qualified before  getting pregnant, and being delayed on career courses and work experience because they are away from work for 12+ months. In the case of trades this qualification would be after QL 5 Cpl level.

Of the two choices...getting pregnant, or joining the military... both may involve a 20+ yr commitment, but you can't release from being a parent.

I have a 5 year old daughter. Single father. I am thinking of applying as a DEO next spring after I prepare myself for selection and complete my university education. At present, I have discussed this issue with my parents, and they are willing to look after my daughter if I am deployed.

The criteria I am trying to assess at this time is what MOC will serve as the most stable for a single parent? My education puts logistics and health care admin as my top options. As far as element... I wanted army, but after discussing my situation with a few active and ex-members of CF, I have been told the army element may require 6 month deployments every 2 years, navy is less, and air force would be the most stable. Once my daughter is old enough, I would love to serve in the Armoured regiments, but I have years to go before that becomes a reality. Does anyone have any comments that may give me a little more insight on what my best option may be?

I may be able to shed a little light on this subject. I am currently a reservist on a B/A ( have been for years), and am currently expecting my second child. My husband is a reg force engineer, and I am going reg force after this maternity leave, next year. I have talked to a friend who did recruiting and she gave me some great advice. 1) To go in the same element as hubby, which will give us a greater chance of almost always being posted to the same base. 2) Go into a trade that will not deploy as much as the engineers can. IE: I am looking at RMS Clerk or Postal Clerk. That way I can still deploy but not as frequently as the hubby. 3) Have a back up childcare plan. IE: What to do with the kids if Hubby and I are both deployed, or both tasked out of our area for a while. 4) Don't expect the military to bend over backwards for you, just because you are a servicce couple. Other people can do it, so can you. If you have any specific questions PM me, and I will answer them, if I can.

"... and air force would be the most stable. Once my daughter is old enough, I would love to serve in the Armoured regiments, but I have years to go before that becomes a reality. Does anyone have any comments that may give me a little more insight on what my best option may be?"

- Well, the Air Force does not have Armoured Regiments.  I have been armour for 29 1/2 years, and my advice would be to seriously consider whether you want to be away from your daughter three to nine months of the year in the field, taking a course, teaching a course, or deployed on tour.

You should consider the Reserves, where you can pick and choose your time away and courses.  If you go Regular and your family situation becomes an administrative burden, you will not receive much sympathy from some of your peers, who have to carry the can for you.  Career progression is based on a lot of things, but two under-stated ones are Postability and Deployability.  If you can't compete, you will be bypassed - and that is as it should be.

"My best advice would be for your friend to figure out which is a priority for herself. If joining is, then join and worry about the baby later....there are many years in the future for her to have a baby, don't let reproducing get in the way of a dream. I waited until I was done having kids before applying, but I really wish I had done so sooner, rather than later."

- Good, sound advice.  In fact, it could go both ways. I would say, don't let the dream get in the way of 'reproducing'.  The family is the priority - the job is merely how you feed it.  Who knows?  A few centuries from now, historians may conclude that the decline and fall of Western Civilization (that is to say, civilization) was due to too many women working and not enough producing enough babies (future soldiers).

Young women having children may be doing more for the long term defence of Canada than a lot of people in uniform are at the moment.

Tom

The thought of joining armoured was something that may considering happening fifteen years into the future/a complete restructuring of my military career. My question pertained to whether there may be a position in the Air Force or Army that may keep me located in a relatively stable environment that I can work while keeping and raising my daughter with me. The recruiters I spoke with made it seem like if I joined as a logistics officer I could always keep my daughter with me, unless I were to be deployed. Besides the 14 weeks for basic training.

If this is not possible, then the army life will obviously not be for me.

Most support trades are fairly stable. Besides going on course and such. You would get advance notice of most courses you are slated for. Most of the clerks I know do not go away as frequently as you would  if you were combat arms.  The recruiter sounded fairly accurate, as least to my knowledge. There are a few single fathers and mothers in the combat arms that make it work. Yes you will be away more then a support trade, but it all depends on what you want to do, and what you think would be the trade for you.

My old man transfered fom Armd to AVN Tech when I was born and spent 10 years in Winnipeg, and he was almost always home (with the exception of a voluntary Tour to Haiti).  He was a single parent and it worked out fine.  If it's what you really want to do, no doubt you can make it happen.

Yes, this is something I have been seriously considering for over a decade. It always seemed like it was one thing or another that kept me from handing my application in. Almost 15 years after I first considered it, I am at it again. Combat Arms is something I have decided is not for me (I mentioned Armoured as a personal ambition for the future... when my daughter is in her late teens at least), while my daughter is young, for my daughter's best interest, thinking of her, I planned on entering CF through support services of some form for now. Logistics, Health Care Administrator, and Aerospace Control are the top things that relate well to my education. My question for the group, now that I have clarified what MOC I am considering, is which element would be best for my situation.

Thanks for mentioning it is possible by the way.

Keep in mind that as a clerk you can easily be posted to a combat arms unit deploying or getting ready to deploy in the future. Of the six of my clerk buddies who got posted here to Pet, three of us were told to expect a tour in the near future.

Just so you're aware and don't think that as a support trade you will be guaranteed complete stability and stay in one place all the time.

That's fully understood. As a contingent, my parents have already given me their full support in joining CF. Regardless of where I am posted, they will always be on a standby notice to either come get my daughter or stay with her should they be retired by the time I am deployed. Either way, I want to join CF, but in the most 'ideal' MOC for my situation. There is no point in making things any harder than the have to be. The best case scenario (in order of importance) would include the following... 1) stable environment for my daughter... who will more than likely be 6 or 7 years old by the time I complete selection/acceptance/training etc., 2) relevance of my position to my degree in business education, and 3) proximity to my parents who live in Southern Ontario (we can travel... but closer is always better of course)

Back