• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Into the Fire: A Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War
Authors Dakota Meyer/Bing West

The Far Reaches of Empire: War in Nova Scotia, 1710-1760 by John Grenier.

I know I should get a life, but I know almost squat about the subject other than the little I remember from history in public school.

Old Sweat said:
The Far Reaches of Empire: War in Nova Scotia, 1710-1760 by John Grenier.

I know I should get a life, but I know almost squat about the subject other than the little I remember from history in public school.

That sounds interesting, there is short book by LCol Hand on the French Fort Beausjour that would make a good follow up to that book.  I recommend it.

fraserdw said:
That sounds interesting, there is short book by LCol Hand on the French Fort Beausjour that would make a good follow up to that book.  I recommend it.

I have a copy, thanks.

Just received in the mail "Tragedy at Dieppe" by Mark Zuehlke, it has been added to my reading pile.  Currently reading "Armageddon: The Battle for Germany 1944-1945" by Max Hastings.  Much like all the books I have read by this author I am enjoying the book and recommend it to everyone.

NinerSix said:
Same here.
Same here again. I am `supposed`to do a review for Trident. His books are like Frederick Forsythe`s in that they are VERY detailed and in the weeds (in a good way) only Mark Zuehke`s are NOT fiction.
Have the collection in front of me:
Liri Valley
Ortona
On to Victory
Holding JUNO
Operation HUSKY
Terrible Victory, and
JUNO Beach

Pat in Halifax said:
Same here again. I am `supposed`to do a review for Trident. His books are like Frederick Forsythe`s in that they are VERY detailed and in the weeds (in a good way) only Mark Zuehke`s are NOT fiction.
Have the collection in front of me:
Liri Valley
Ortona
On to Victory
Holding JUNO
Operation HUSKY
Terrible Victory, and
JUNO Beach

Yeah, the wife works for the head office of our reginal libraries. She said if I like this one that hes got plenty more available. Looks like I have some reading to do...

For anyone interested in Special Operations, the book Killer Elite by Michael Smith is a good read. It was first published in 2006 and had an update re the bin Laden take out in 2011.

It covers the history of the Intelligence Support Activity, an organization responsible for battle space preparation for units such as Delta and DevGRU. These folks go in ahead and establish intelligence networks and do telephone etc intercepts prior to the deployment of Tier 1 operations.

The book is generally well written and provides some excellent insight into the battles that special operations units had with conventional force military leadership until the early 2000's. It also provides a much better understanding of how special ops missions work.

Reading Kratman's Countdown: M-Day.

Great book, highly recommended. Had me cackling manically less than 2-dozen pages in.

Reading The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the League and Change the Game Forever by Jonathon Gatehouse.

It's pretty great read, very interesting to see it from the Commissioner's point of view and just how dismal of a state the NHL was in before he was basically handed the job to fix all its problems.

Just finished The Black Company by Glen Cook. First book in a while I enjoyed reading.

PrairieThunder said:
Reading The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the League and Change the Game Forever by Jonathon Gatehouse.

It's pretty great read, very interesting to see it from the Commissioner's point of view and just how dismal of a state the NHL was in before he was basically handed the job to fix all its problems.
Yep, the NHL is awesome now.  :nod:

Most enjoyable hockey season I've seen in years  :rofl:

Kat Stevens said:

Yeah I was just thinking almost midway through November and my Leafs are undefeated. ;D

Just finished "Double Cross  The true story of the D-Day Spies" by Ben Macintyre.  This was a very interesting read to say the least.  I was aware of some of it such parts of Operation Fortitude and the phantom army led by Patton in Kent.  Overlord's ultimate success can be to a great extent laid at the feet of these men and women from both sides of the conflict.  Well worth the effort.

http://www.amazon.ca/Double-Cross-Story-D-Day-Spies/dp/0307888754/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352727557&sr=1-1

I just started

"A Soldier First"
autobiography by General Rick Hillier, retired Chief of Defence Staff

Journeyman said:
Yep, the NHL is awesome now.  :nod:
Kat Stevens said:
Danjanou said:
Yeah I was just thinking almost midway through November and my Leafs are undefeated. ;D

So, I guess I'm not the only one enjoying the hiatus of hockey. :nod:

recceguy said:
So, I guess I'm not the only one enjoying the hiatus of hockey. :nod:
No, you're not.  I'm hoping it'll last all winter long. 

War in Afghanistan: Eight Battles in the South

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/War-Afghanistan-Eight-Battles-South-Sean-Michael-Maloney/9781894673495-item.html?cookieCheck=1

Back