• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What are you listening to/fav type of music

"Knife party - Deftones" right now,

"The Fragile - Nine Inch Nails" is coming up next..

Piper said:
"If this is Austin" - Blake Shelton

That's right, I like 'soft' country songs.

Its alright, muffin. You're not the only one.

"Remember When" - Alan Jackson.

AC/DC
Dr. Dre
Snoop Dogg
Eminem
Common
Obie Trice
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
etc...

Gonna dredge this sucker up,

It'd be amazing if he'd tour again matty but he just suffered an aneurysm, 2 of the 3 people I know who suffered aneursms have died as a result so I'd be psyched if he just lived period.

Listening to "After the Goldrush" right now, this is what music should be, there is no reason Bob Dylan should be more famous than Neil.

"nails the feeling you get sitting in a coffee shop in North Ontario (anywhere the North really) breathing a deep sigh and going "ah...hell.":

- The 'Hoito' in Thunder Bay.

On my 'Woodstock" double LP, (33 1/3) they announce them as CSN&Y.

I like 'Powderfinger' lately, though 'Harvest' got played a lot in Da Ranks, Ledra Palace Hotel, in Cyprus, 78/79.

Tom

Tom, just got shivers, I've been to the Hoito and that is the only restaurant I've been to in Thunder Bay.

Thought it's not what I thought of at first though,
What "Helpless" made me think of first was this place in Sault St. Marie, I cna't remember the name but it had a "typical" fifties diner feel(big puffy boofs with very cream colours) and it was a shitty day in January; I had to clear driveways that morning and all I could feel was "There's no point, it's just going to snow right over."

Oh man..Canada's too small.

"Oh man..Canada's too small."

- Yeah, Che, unless you have to drive from Petawawa to Thunder Bay to go on leave in the winter!

;D

1.  Wake up in Barracks F16 (8CH(PL)), load car and start driving.  It is snowing.  I am hungover.
2.  Neil Young on the cassette player.  Run out of windshield washer in Mattawa.
3.  Still snowing in North Bay.  Still hungover.
4. Pull into Laurentian University, RV with buddy from Thunder Bay (doing his masters at Laurentian, now prof in Kelowna).  Still hungover.
5.  Go to Students Union Pub to plan trip.  Hydrate seriously with C2H5OH  5% solution in a hops base.
6.  Wake up next day.  Still hungover.
7.  Start driving.  Still snowing.
8.  Pull into SSM, still hungover, still snowing, Niel Young still on the cassette player.
9. Heavy snow.  Player eats Neil Young.  Steely Dan subs.
10. OPP close Hwy 17.  Find a roadside motel with an arrangement with the Liquor Licence Act of Ontario.
11.  Hydrate to replaced sweat caused by driving in snowstorm and dealing with the Neil Young eating cassette player.
12.  Wake up in motel.  Drive to Thunder Bay, still hung over.
13.  Return Trip: Just read up the list.  On eastbound leg, Bee Gees ('Main Course") replaces eaten Steely Dan.

Repeat the next Christmas (1981?)

Regards,

Tom

Oh brother you can't make that shit up.

I have many, many friends in the UK who think Canada is an exotic land, miles away from an inconvenience and when you try and explain to them that living here is really just a series of very cold inconveniences (many of which result from too much Keith's..don't start ;D ) set to a decent soundtrack they tell you that they think Mounties are "cute in their red uniforms and it can't be all that bad."

If you don't mind I'm going to copy and paste that little speil and send it to a few of them with some changes.

No Probs.  Someday I will RoadLog Thunder Bay to CFRS Cornwallis in the winter - done in one trip because I could not fall asleep after I woke up in the passenger seat  0800 New years Day 1986 as my car was spinning off Hwy 11 at warp factor 7 someplace east of Kapuskasing.  Fellow instructor Rod _____ was driving.  Had to dig out through a window. Coffee all over the inside of the crew compartment.  Went for a walk at -35 and found a guy to pull us out using a schoolbus and chains.  OPP saw schoolbus on road on NYD, thought they would stop for a chat...

We had left from a NYE party. Stopped at my parents and my Mom made us 1800 miles worth of sandwiches.

;D

Hey Rod, you out there?

;D

Tom

Tom,
I made the journey from back east to T Bay in the middle of January awhile back. Heading for Winnipeg. (solo) I stopped in Terrace Bay as the OPP had closed the highway due to a moose strike (I never sat in on the "moose awareness briefing") It was -36 and I was thankfull I was not a brass monkey...., I decided to grab a coffee at the only restaurant open in town. Thinking I'd strike up a conversation and pass time I asked a local seated beside me, "what do people in northwestern Ontario do all winter?"
Without any hesitation or trace of a smile replied matter of factly; "drink beer and watch hockey"
It was a Revelation.........I had found Shangira-la

......And now you know the rest of the story.

Andy

P.S  My eaten Guess Who tape also lies on the side of hwy 17. I can't help thinking that hundreds of years from now all those audio tapes will be found and people will speculate that it was some type ancient offering to the hwy gods to ensure a safe fossil fuel powered land journey across the Canadian shield

Sorry, Piper, but the MudMen's sirens are sweetly singing into my ears at the moment.

Check out their first album; Dropkick Murphys and Real McKenzies' fans won't be disappointed with this offering.

"When I get Where I'm Going" - Brad Paisley and Dolly Parton

;D

Card_11 said:
"When I get Where I'm Going" - Brad Paisley and Dolly Parton

;D

Thats a good song.

Check out "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" by Trace Adkins. Or "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" by Kenny Chesney.

Andy, you are truly living the life of dreams....

You don't by any chance have Neil Young on 8-Track, do you?

Tom

Tom,

Sorry only Box Car Willie. It is nearly impossible to find an 8 track repair facility out here. I will continue to search the scrap yards. I would travel to T Bay but I heard most of the vehicles there still have tubes in the radios. 8 track is still a couple of years away.
Without rail service the city must count on the spring ice breakup so the ships can unload supplies, (flour, sugar, salt and other sundries)

The land that Ottawa forgot..........

"The land that Ottawa forgot.........."

- No kidding.  I heard they have maps in Toronto that show James Bay going all of the way to Duluth, Minnesota - there is no Northwestern Ontario.

"but I heard most of the vehicles there still have tubes in the radios."

- EMP hardened Lada's.

;D

(In the background, Neil Young is singing "Wake up Mama there's a white boat commin' up the river...")

Tom

But seriously, what drew me to this post and getting back on track, the Classic rock radio station here in Thunder Bay is truly classic. (The Giant 102.5?)
Neil Young, April Wine, The Guess Who, Deep Purple, Nazereth etc. Seems to me coming through here in the late 70's I was listening to the same music. Is it retro chic? I fear not. they never changed the music collection. I may tire of listening to Neil Young's encounter in White river.....lol, but they mix it up enough. Every now and then they venture into Guns & Roses or ZZ Top (just to keep us modern)
Anyone who is from this area or spent time in NW Ontario can probably relate to the fact that not only is the music retro, Mullets, acid wash jeans and puffy hair and muscle cars are a common sight........ and hippies.
And they say PEI is a little behind
On the other hand, political correctness, human rights, environmental concerns, language laws, and all that are not big sellers in the area.
Refreshing? Frustrating? depends on the individuals mindset I guess.
I shall continue to enjoy the area for what it is (and the fishing is great)

Back