• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

weekend BMQ 25 NOV

Bombproof hehe..
Anyway, is the bivy the small bag thing or what? (I should probably get off my ass and look at all the labels but hey lol)
Is it on the kit list anyway, was it supposed to go into the valise origonally?

the bivy is the bag that looks a little like a sleeping bag but its made of gortex and yes its suppose to go in the valice on the bottom

You will find the bivvy bag to be one of the best pieces of kit....EVER!

time off for good behaviour is almost over, has anyone got a solution for the kit problem yet, I like the bivy bag idea, question though, how did you fold it and where/how did you attach it to your ruck

i used bungee cords. but i emailed my Sec. Com. he told me

"  Bring only what is on the kit list however, if it all does not fit into your ruck then utilize you duffle bag"

Do you guys keep the bivvy bag squased down on the very botterm an throw the sleeping bag, etc ontop? Or do you do it the smart way; put the bivvy bag in, open it up, an put your sleeping bag, etc inside of it, that way it keeps everything dry.

I keep my sleeping bag and such in the bivvy bag, already all set up, squished at the bottom of the valise...and then have the Ground sheet folded at the opening, wash basin is at the very bottom of the valise...The first thing I'll take out at the top, the last at the bottom

Sig_Des said:
I keep my sleeping bag and such in the bivvy bag, already all set up, squished at the bottom of the valise...and then have the Ground sheet folded at the opening, wash basin is at the very bottom of the valise...The first thing I'll take out at the top, the last at the bottom

Why in gods name would you put a wash basin in your rucksack or valise - is this on someones kit list?

That stuff is supposed to stay with the CQ!

The CQ is a Company Quartermaster - the "beans and bullets" guys who are part of your company. He is the one that drops off water and rations in the field, and stores your weapons and other kit when you are not. He is almost always a WO, and will have 2-5 storemen working for him.

When you stop your operation/exercise, a good CQ will usually be there with water heaters, hot food and your follow up kit (which contains shave kit and wash basins)so you can get a shave and a bit of a wash every few days, or he will have it all set up back at your base camp.

I guess it is a course thing, because I've never heard of anyone bringing a wash basin to the field! It's big, easily broken, shiny, and unnecessary - but if your course staff says so - do it!

I've had it on kit lists before...I don't really care much as my ruck ususally doesn't leave the back of my pod...plus I put it in and didn't bother taking it out...eh..

keep in mind, the guys who make up my kit list are the guys who want me to put 2 extra pairs of socks in the front pouchs of my TV

For the valise question, I read in one of the handouts..can't remember which that you are supposed to line it with a heavy-duty garbage bag for water protection as well as your main ruck pouch. I put the hood on the bottom, then bivi, then ground cover then outer sleeping bag, then inner sleeping bag.

Sorry for the late reply.

Is it that cold where you guys are that you need the two sleeping bags together?

Why use a garbage bag to line the valise, the bivvy bag is goretex(waterproof) an you can put everything into that.

MikeL said:
Is it that cold where you guys are that you need the two sleeping bags together?More comfy to sit on.

Why use a garbage bag to line the valise, the bivvy bag is goretex(waterproof) an you can put everything into that.Old School pre gortex, (and nothing stays waterproof).

MikeL said:
Is it that cold where you guys are that you need the two sleeping bags together?

Why use a garbage bag to line the valise, the bivvy bag is goretex(waterproof) an you can put everything into that.
It is called "Redundant Safety" and will protect everthing still in the Valise when you have removed the Gortex Bivvy Bag.....for instance, the other half of your sleeping bag, or perhaps your clothes.

Additionally, one water crossing taught me that gore tex is not water proof, it is water resistant. Your sleeping bags will absorb water through the gore tex and valise if laid in a puddle, swamp or mud (like all good patrol bases). This gives you wet sleeping bags, which are cold, and as an added bonus - extremely heavy.

As George said, this will keep the remainder of the contents of the bag dry when the bivy bag is out, and can be used for other things, like keeping your ration garbage in, and waterproofing radios/GPS etc. In the event of a fording or surprise helo casting, your ruck will float with a double bag valise - even if it weighs 80 - 100lbs dry.

Most people I know double bag the sleeping bags in garbage bags or some of the commercial substitutes (seal bags etc.) If you fall through the ice, or get hypothermia, the sleeping bags will save your life, so it is best to care for them.

aparantly BMQ 3 is starting next weekend, so expect 3 classes at once in the armoury :)

Oh man, I saw one of them last weekend...everything's going to be so crowded...can just imagine how long the food lines are going to be! Ah well...see you next weekend.

Back