• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

We are driving good soldiers out of the Army

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
From Lew Mackenzie:

http://www.cfc.forces.gc.ca/spotlight/2004/09/02/mackenzie040902.html

We are driving good soldiers out of the Army

Since my early retirement from the Canadian Armed Forces in 1993, the strength of our military has steadily declined from some 83,000 to less than 55,000 deployable personnel. The Army, which was my home for 36 years, is now 3,000 soldiers short of being able to fill the seats in Maple Leaf Gardens. The Toronto Police Services have 2,000 more police officers than the Canadian Infantry has soldiers from private to general. As a result, we have little to offer our allies when they set about taming rogue states, war criminals, ethnic cleansers, and various goons such as those immolating villages in Western Sudan.

In an effort to deal with the shrinking force pool, the previous commander of the Army, Lieutenant-General Mike Jeffery, introduced a new method of preparing contingents for overseas deployments. Rather than building a contingent around an established 600- to 700-strong unit -- like the 3rd Battalion of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (3PPCLI), which served with the United States in Afghanistan in 2002 or the 1st Battalion of the Royal 22nd Regiment (1R22eR, a.k.a. the "Van Doos"), which secured the Sarajevo airport in 1992 -- contingents would be created from company-sized building blocks, each one being approximately 100-soldiers strong. These companies could be plucked from units spread across the country. This method has become known as "plug and play" and came into effect in 2002.

On the day before the official announcement of the policy change, General Jeffery was good enough to include me in a conference call with his subordinate commanders. I asked the question, "If you had the budget and the soldiers you should have to do the missions you are being assigned, would you be introducing this new method of creating contingents for operational missions?" His immediate answer was a simple "no."

That did not surprise me. Despite the fact politicians praised "plug and play" as a visionary and brilliant concept, it compromised two sacrosanct Army principles. General Jeffery realized this fact, but had been forced to make such a distasteful decision due to a lack of resources."

The first principle to be sacrificed is that of unit cohesion. Most soldiers don't risk their lives for God, Queen or country. They do so for their buddies, particularly the ones a few metres on each side of them. Don't take my word for it; ask someone who landed on the beaches of Sicily or Normandy. And the best way to foster that intense loyalty and commitment is within a unit based on the time-honoured regimental system.

In civilian language, your regiment is your family. It looks after you, it nurtures you, it shares with you its history and obliges you to meet the standards of those who went before. In return, you might just owe it your life. The regimental names are usually reduced to acronyms and confuse TV anchors and journalists, who rarely get them right -- PPCLI, RCR, R22eR, QOR, LdSH(RC), RCD, 8CH, RCHA, CER, etc. To you, they are alphabet soup. To a soldier, they are structure, order, support, security -- just like a real family under ideal conditions. By contrast, smaller groups of 80 to 100 soldiers -- brought together from disparate sources to perform a temporary mission and then be disbanded -- could never hope to approach a high level of unit cohesion.

The second principle to be trumped by the move was flexibility. Over the years, the Canadian military brass has been conditioned by relatively stable peacekeeping missions in places such as Cyprus, from 1964 to 2002. In such cases, Canada deployed custom-organized units that fit a specific and consistent mission. On the other hand, combat-arms units -- infantry, armoured and artillery -- have been organized since the 19th century to adapt to changing missions in volatile environments. That flexibility is squandered when we cannibalize these units to produce smaller forces with narrow roles.

For example, a Canadian contingent that just returned from Kabul was deployed without its mobile logistics company, relying instead on a static base camp manned by civilian contractors. When NATO officials requested that Canada expand its mission to include mobile operations, we had to turn them down -- proffering the phoney excuse that our soldiers were not adequately trained.

Many soldiers at the sharp end have noted the folly of the compromises. The current commanding officer of the 1st Battalion of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, the same unit I had the pleasure of commanding in the late 1970s, has tendered his resignation after only one year in command.

Lieutenant-Colonel Shandy Vida is an outstanding officer. You would be proud and comfortable to have your son or daughter serve under his leadership. He is a soldier's soldier and bristled at the compromises forced upon him, as he patched together a large part of the infantry component recently deployed to Afghanistan. To him, "plug and play" is not the way to send our soldiers to do dangerous work.

I have to agree, and can't help but think that if the Army had not chosen to introduce such questionable policies, officers of the calibre of Colonel Vida would not be resigning. I, for one, admire his commitment to his martial profession.

Invaluable soldiers like Colonel Vida should not be driven to this. The questionable policies motivating his decision resulted from the disconnect between the military's taskings and resources -- a strictly political failing. Over the past few years, the previous Prime Minister and the current incumbent, as well as the previous Minister of National Defence and Foreign Affairs Minister, all repeatedly promised a new Defence White Paper to replace a woefully dated 1994 document. Now, we are told we don't need one.

What a shame. Our defence policies are in serious need of review. And until reforms are implemented, our military will be at risk of losing its best and brightest.

:cdn:

Note to the bold print: Of course civil service pers with NO concept of esprit de corps and true teamwork would think that something like "plug and play" wouuld be revolutionary. In military terms we used to call it attachments and detachmnets....

Well...
I hesitate to say this, but IMO, the only way the people (that is, the ones that range from "We have a military?" to "Disband the military - all we need is love and a lot of Canadian flags") are going to actually support a stronger and MORE EFFECTIVE military is to have (God forbid) a version of 9/11 in downtown TO. There could be studies up the wazoo about the requirement for this, the need for that, but unless the people demand better, we ain't gettin' nutin' but more of the same. Unfortunately, we only seem to learn these lessons after the blood has been spilt. :(
Again, IMHO.

Company sized units aren't capable of high levels of cohesion?   Tell that to the Special Forces around the world.

I agree with much of what General Lew is saying, but I think he tries too hard to sell the regimental concept; as has been discussed here before, Canadian soldiers have fought very well when taken outside the regimental structure.   Think CEF, or even FSSF.

He is right, of course, about melding company sized units into ad hoc battalions, which is the bigger point he is trying to make.   The battalions will naturally have little cohesion.   But the companies themselves are not precluded from high levels of cohesion simply because they are companies.   Cohesion is a result of training and experience, not simply issuing a cap badge and giving a lesson or two on Regimental History.

The Plug n Play concept may not work in the Reg Force - except in small special forces type teams - but IMHO it could make a difference in the Reserves - we get deployed that way right now - it would be nice to train that way as well.

By cross-training or switching up the training ex's to more closely resemble a self contained company (like 2VP) we would get a look at the bigger green machine which - we at least - do not get to see right now; and it would keep the attention - and hence RETENTION -  of the young recruits who seem to be getting bored out of the CSS trades with our current training schedule - they would get to do 'army stuff' - rather than just 'CSS stuff'.

Component training/practice is always necessary but IMO so is being able to know your place in the whole - and just like in kindergarten - learning how to play well with others.

We do go out on support ex's but we never seem to really learn from each other (i.e we never get to leave the radios to see what other elements are doing / and they never get to leave what they are doing to see our side of the operation).

I understand Lews point, but I do not entirely agree with him.

I am a big believer in combat teams.  In my opinion, a couple of companies of Infanteers, a squadron of Armour, an Engineer troop plus the other atts that are required (HQ, Cbt Support, etc) should be the nucleus of all of our deployments.  Everyone brings their own equipment, and specialties.

I also agree that sub-unit cohesiveness is not only possible, it most certainly exists!

Of course, Lew is not talking about our level, he is talking about CO level and higher.  Any CO wants to lead his Unit to an operation, not parts of units.  And no CO wants part of his unit attached to another for a tasking.  Lew is not talking about us peons.........

From  Lance
I am a big believer in combat teams.  In my opinion, a couple of companies of Infanteers, a squadron of Armour, an Engineer troop plus the other atts that are required (HQ, Cbt Support, etc) should be the nucleus of all of our deployments.  Everyone brings their own equipment, and specialties.

In that case Lance why not form mixed trade Regiments or Battle Groups under one CO?

The Ad Hoc Plug'Play system tries to be all things to all people but doesn't allow for the development of operational expertise as Unit/Formation level.

Single Trade Units have limited flexibility and regularly need to be fleshed out or tasked out on an Ad Hoc basis anyway, to meet demands.

Why not decide that a unit such as you describe is a viable and valuable option.  Raise it, equip it, train it (and 5 or 6 more like it)  and make those available for employment as they are.  Say to the government "this is what they can do - we can sustain it - employ them knowing their limitations".

Rather than trying to organize three half-assed brigades as we have now, organize one properly (light, mech, heavy I care not) and form the rest of the bodies into the half-dozen Battle Gps/Regiments as described under on CO and permanent staff.

It wouldn't be the old army, where we expect to line up the brigades, form a division and plug into a corps, but we haven't been able to do that since well before 1972.

It would give a firm base to hold formation skills, and a flexible, permanent, trainable structure that maintains and promotes unit cohesion.

:-\Ranting again ain't I?  Oh well  ;)

I find this point astounding: "The current commanding officer of the 1st Battalion of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, the same unit I had the pleasure of commanding in the late 1970s, has tendered his resignation after only one year in command."

I also believe this article will only have any effect with those that are already in the choir.

Lastly I have a sick feeling that if TO has nuked it would make a difference in public opinion.  A lot of voters these days are new immigrants and still have their country of origins best interests first and Canada second.  That's my opinion and it will probably come off as ignorant or racist but it is what I perceive.

Kirkhill;

That is exactly my thinking.

A Unit should be a self-contained combat team.  Complete with artillery assets and all.  Why not?  Those of us that have more than a few years experience have worked with other arms, have friends with other arms, and know that we live, or die, because of other arms.  Because none of us can survive alone.  The Germans are great advocates of this, every Battalion, whether armoured or infantry, has the other arm attached as an integral part of its unit.  Mind you, the Germans go one step further.  Every Infantry section commander gets a mini course, and commands a tank for a few days, to include a gun camp.  Just to know the capabilities.  Every tank commander gets to command a Marder, with its section, for a while, for the same reason.  It goes up the chain, Platoon commanders, Squadron commanders, all the way. 

In my thinking, a tanker posted to the PPCLI will still be a tanker, and may even wear the black beret, but will be a member of the PPCLI.  The same for the Infanteers posted to the RCD.

I do not advocate this to smaller than squadron/company size, however.  A troop/Platoon won't do much.  A Squadron/Company sent to the opposite arm, however, will give much more flexibility to the Unit.  Not to mention the enhanced capabilities the unit will be capable of!

I would think that a " combat team" is a term that the goverment does not want to hear. Tanks, tracks being the others.

Unit Cohesion  is still with us, but is gettin harder to maintain under this new army.

But what do I know........

I think our military should seriously look at the US Marines example.  Hell we are small enough to initiate it.  One cap badge for all.  All members are Marines first and aviators, tankers etc second.

CFL said:
I think our military should seriously look at the US Marines example.  Hell we are small enough to initiate it.  One cap badge for all.  All members are Marines first and aviators, tankers etc second.

And if that badge came down as having a crown, beaver and "22" cypher on it, would you still be in the Army the next morning? 

The way to go is to go under a new name, badge, colours (whatever you want) to prevent that sort of hostility and animosity.  I'm not saying it would be easy to drop the current system but something needs to be done.

At the risk of sounding contentious, many of you are missing the fundamental essence of LCol Shandy Vida's resignation and what it says about the state our Army as a whole.  It is all well and good to talk about permanent "Combined Arms Teams" within the Canadian Army, and perhaps that is the direction that we should be heading.  We all know people who preach that the Armour Corps should be crewing the LAV 3 because they are the vehicle crew and gunnery experts.  Given that the Canadian Armour Corps lacks any other viable role (aside from medium recce) under the new "Interim Army" construct, I would be heartily inclined to agree with the concept of permanent combined-arms "panzer-grenadier" battalions.  Indeed, I have been arguing that very point (as a corps heretic) for several years now, but heaven forbid that we should upset the various Corps "rice-bowls".  Except for the fact that the Canadian Armoured Corps can finally see the writing on the wall, and they don't particularly like what they're reading.....  

Hmmm - now where did that "Panzer Grenadier" term come from - has somebody somewhere done this before with a quantifiable degree of success???  But I digress...let's get back to what is going on within the Army as a whole.

To put it bluntly, the Canadian Army is currently experiencing an unstoppable hemorrhage of experience and talent.  LCol Shandy Vida is merely the most recent "high profile" example of the ongoing mass exodus that has been occurring "under the radar".  And suddenly this is news?

Two years ago, the CLS (Gen Jeffries) stood in front of 3 PPCLI Battlegroup in Kandahar, and told us quite candidly that his single biggest fear - the thing that kept him up at night - was the "bow-wavë" of talented releases that would gut the Army over the next 5 years.  Well, here we are 2 years later, and the "talent exodus" is just getting underway.  So what is responsible for this situation?  To understand the current "talent crisis" you have to look back a few years - 20 years to be precise.

Back in the early to late 1980s, the CF had 80.000+ troops.  We had a war-strength brigade group in Germany, and an identfiable enemy (the Soviets).  Back then, the CF was still on a hiring kick, and we were taking in folks hand over fist.  That all ended around 1987, when the Cold War definitively ended and the long, slow decline of the CF ensued.  Over that period we went from 80,000 to 53,000 all ranks.   Needless to say, in the early to mid-1990s the hiring ceased and the personnel reduction began commesurate with an overall reduction in the CF budget.  It was the "Peace Dividend", dont'cha know....

Well, flash forward to 2000-whatever.  Here we are, with a "bubble"  of personnel hired during the "good old days" of the Cold War, who are now hitting their pensionable 20 years of service.  Behind this "bublble" of experienced WOs, MWOs, Sr Capts, Majs and LCols, is .......frightenly little in terms of sheer numbers and experience/ability.  Because during the late 1980s our Defence Policy was cast aside in deference to the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the end of the "Cold War", and a purported era of global peace and harmony.  So, cashing in on the "Peace Dividend" our political masters (Conservative and Liberal alike)  started slashing the CF.  What had been a hiring boon in the mid-to late 1980's became "zero entry" recruitment.  Heck, we even went so far as to financially "encourage" a lot of our most experienced follks to take an early retirement.  We called it the "Force Reduction Plan", or FRP.  

So following behind this "bow wave" of hiriing in the mid 1980's to late 1990s, there is .....nobody!  We recruited doodly-squat for new blood, because we were busy down-sizing the CF.  The focus was on Bringing home 4 CMBG from Germany and disolving the positions, a few years later we eradicated the SSF and then the Airborne Regiment, etc.   The Canadian Army was  down-sizing with a vengeance and reaping the (whoops!  non-existent) "Peace Dividend".   LIttle did we know what the early 1990's would bring in terms of operational deployments to the Balkans, and the never-ending litany of deployments since.....

Turning back to the CF manning situation, we had a large "bubble" of personnel moving through the system who had been hired in the early to late 1980's.  I suspect that anyone reading this can do the math.  Yes, that very same "bubble" of personnel now constitutes your Army's WOs, MWOs, CWOs, Capts, Majs, and LCols - all of whom served in the Canadian Army when we still had a focus and a war-fighting brigade group overseas.  And all of whom have since served during the slow but steady demise of our military.  This same group has been subjected to an endless litany of "peace support" deployments in the Balkans, Africa, etc, only to come home and find that they are "tasked" for something or other because the army is 40% smaller than it used to be......

Well, you can guess what is happening with "the bubble" of our Army's experienced tactical leadership.  Yes, that's right - an inordinate amount of them are opting to leave at the 20 year end of their "Intermediate Engagement" (IE) with a miminum pension.   There are as many reasons for doing so as there are action-items in my in-basket.  But at the end of the day, the net result is that the Canadian Army is currently undergoing a hemmhorage of its most experienced and talented personnel.  For those of you who hadn't noticed, this started about 2 years ago, and is projected to continue for another 3 years or so.  The "bubble" is hitting "20", and there ain't no reason to stay....  Hence the former CLS's "sleepless nights".

Which brings us to LCol Vida's release and relinquishment of battalion command (the pinnacle!) a year into his 2 year tour as a Regular Force CO.  Is this anything new?  Not really.  Is it unusual for a Battalion CO to say "screw this?"  Yes, but I am willing to bet money that he will not be the last.  I have several friends who are currently serving as Reg Force unit CO's, and they are NOT happy for a whole host of reasons.  Not the least of which is the fact that they have been relegated to sub-unit (read company) "Force Generators" vice unit commanders.  What is the point of being a CO, if you are never able (or allowed) to train as a unit because all that your unit consists of (in the eyes of the Army leadership) is a collection of companies and platoons that can be plucked out of your organization to form ad-hoc abortion units for operational deployments?  Now there's some rewarding "command", eh?

Reasons for the current 20-year "bubble" of officers and NCOs to leave the CF varies by individual.  But in a nut-shell, we can consider the following:

a.  Loss of Focus.  Right or wrong, these people served when Canada had a defined enemy, and had a committed war-establishment combat brigade ready to face that threat.  Neither of the above currently exists, and even if it did there is wide-spread doubt that our nation would exercise the political will do anything substantive.

b.  Loss of Capability and Credibility.  These same folks have seen the CF go from 80,000 to 53,000, with a commensurate loss of definable purpose.  Now we are pursuing a deliberate degradation of our combat capability while pretending that it is a "good thing" based on ISTAR-driven "perfect Situational Awareness" and the "Direct-Fire System of Systems".  We're the only Army in the Western World headed down those particular combat-capability paths despite what all of the current operational experience of our Allies suggests.  But evidently we know better....

c.  Increased Tempo.  Commensurate with the force reduction from 80K to 53K personnel, the "bubble"  folks have "held it together" throughout the 1990's and into the new century with cobbled-together units deployed on seemingly endless cycles of "peace support operations".  Often launched with inadquate unit cohesion, equipment, mandate, ROE, etc, etc.  These same folks kept holding it all together, and now they are   both frustrated and tired.

d.  Loss of Capability.  Many of the "dinosaurs" from the "good old days" have a fundamental disagreement with the direction that the "interim" Canadian Army is headed.  They don't believe the "spin", and know that the ongoing degradation of combat power is a function of funding - not forethought.

e.  Institutional "Correctness".  While this is a comparatively minor consideration in contrast to the others, there can be no mistaking the fact that the "degreed officer corps" and bilingualism requirements have proven to be a significant dissatisfier for "the bubble".  Nobody likes having the goal-posts moved half-way through the game, yet that is precisely what has occurred to many of the "bubble" folks in terms of career progression.

f.  Limited Opportunity.  This dissatisfier goes hand-in-hand with the above, but is distinct.  What we're talking about here is the fact that unit CO's no longer command a unit that they can take to the field and perhaps command on operations.  Within today's resource-deficit-driven operating evironment, COs get to "manage" and "force generate" companies/squadrons/batteries that will be taken away from them to cobble together a disjointed and dysfunctioal operational entity dispatched on an overseas mission.  Of course, this does nothing for the sub-unit in question, and leaves the parent unit fumbling through its training cycle under-funded and missing one or more critical components.

g.  ATOF versus the Command Cycle.  We have a system wherein units supposedly undergo a 3-year cycle of "Reconstitution", "Pre-Deployment Training", and "High Readiness" (ready for deployment).  Yet we have a 2-year command cycle, where an exceedingly competent CO such as LCol Vida can take his unit trhough the "reconstitution cycle" (read, nobody home because they are all on career courses or Army-level taskings) and "pre-deployment" training (if you get the training resources), only to be replaced by a new CO when the unit reaches its "high-readines" (read deployment) cycle.  As a CO, you get to train the unit, and then hand it over to a new guy who wasn't there for the work-up, doesn't know the troops, and is expected to deploy with the unit on a operational tasking.  Or at least he did, until we adopted "plug and play", where the unit CO is now merely a "force generator", existing solely to surrender his trained sub-units to form ad-hoc "units" for national operational taskings..... Even more reason to aspire to the lofty position of CO, eh?

There are numerous addtional reasons" for the ongoing exodus of "20 year talent", but I suspect that I have made my point.  It is not a pretty situation, and it is only going to get worse.  I would predict that we will hit the institutional low-point in about 3 years time.  By 2007, the exodus of talent will be complete, and the Army will be scrambling to fill the experience/competence void.  The fundamental problem being that you can't simply promote competence.  And you can't create experience overnight.

We are already seeing the deletorious effects of the ongoing exodus CF-wide.  Using Infantry officers (a subset which I happen to know) as an example, 10 years ago we used to promote 3 or 4 Captains to Major across the entire corps each year.  For the past 6 years, we have been promoting increasing numbers of Captains to fill vacant Major positions due to attrition.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but last year we promoted 27.  The year before was 25.  And the year before that was similar.  The average time in rank for a Captain promoted to Major in the Infantry has seen a commesurate drop from 10 years to 6.  Can you say dipping into the bottom of the gene-pool just to fill demand? And did I mention that the Infantry Corps is apparently "short" well over 100 Captains across the corps establishment?  So just where are we "dipping" from, and who are we leaving behind to do all of those Captain jobs?  The answer is........

Perhaps now you can truly begin to appreciate the manning crisis that we find ourselves in.  The problem is not recruits, regardless of whether or not we can manage to train them.  the true crisis is in experienced leadership at all ranks.  The Army is currently akin to a hemophiliac in a Weed-Whacker factory.  And the situation is only going to get worse over the next 3 years as the last of the late-80s "hiring bubble" says "thanks, but Ã?'ve had enough".  

what's that old Chinese Proverb?  "May you live in interesting times"?   Well, interesting is certainly one way to look at it.......

The good news is that we still manage to train world-class soldiers and officers within the Canadain Army.  There may be a few "lean years" where folks are forced to prematurely step up to the plate, but I am conficent and hopeful that those new leaders will carry the day.  If they don't (or can't), then there are some very dark days ahead....

And on that happy note, I will sign off for this evening...      

Well said Sir.

The retirement of Col Vida came as a shock to those of us in 1PPCLI serving in Afghanistan.   For all the reasons that both Gen MacKenzie and Maj. C have mentioned it really should not have been.

Some thought perhaps that since Lt. Col Vida had been in Kabul as part of an observer mission before, and his troops (1VP) composed the largest portion of the combat arms soldiers deployed, that he would have been the logical choice for TF/NCE commander.   Securing an urban centre is (at least in all other armies) a task reserved for Infantry troops (with Armoured support) not vice versa.

However Canada chose to send an Armoured Recce (read surviellance) Sqn as its flagship presence and awarded the NCE postion to an Armoured officer.

I looks like the next few mission will get Engineer and Artillery commanders - talk about putting the cart ahead of the horse.   I guess is the kinder gentler fresher smelling army of today we must round robin command positions despite tactical requirments or general common sense.

I can't wait till the mission commanded by a Dentist for it was simply his/her/its turn   :'(

-Later

Mybe not a dentist, but it may well be a pilot/infantry/mars candidate dropout who then became a Health Care Adminstator...

Lets hope not.

Mark C,
That bow wave of recruitment you discussed, thanks to the freezes in promotions in that FRP period extends down to the MCpl and Sgt level as well. Its when those middle NCO pers leave the greatest vacuum of experience will happen.

Armymedic

It is even worse....It is down to the experienced CPL level, which we suffered through during the last deployment in the Sqn that was left behind.

Very well put Mark C

Just a point for Michael Dorosh, not all CEF were hodge podge collections of units, many went over on the various CEF as "Regiments" and maintained that Regimental family.  The FSSF was comprised of volunteers from all Cdn Units, and when joined by their American counterparts, became a Regiment and a very fine and closely knit one.  That 'Band of Brothers' still maintains close ties and celebrate "Menton Days" passionately. 

This all makes this 'dinosaur' sad. :'(

GW

his troops (1VP) composed the largest portion of the combat arms soldiers deployed

True, but without getting into details of the current deployed contingent, there is an even larger portion of 1 PPCLI soldiers left back in Canada who need their CO.  There were a number of LCols in LFWA with a big lip on because they were not chosen to lead it.  The chain of Comd chose the current Comd for a reason and their reasons for not chosing LCol Vida are probably just as valid.

Securing an urban centre is (at least in all other armies) a task reserved for Infantry troops (with Armoured support) not vice versa.

Hmm, you and I are both serving in the same location. Who's doing the securing right now?  Who's in support?  No details please due to OPSEC.

However Canada chose to send an Armoured Recce (read surviellance) Sqn as its flagship presence and awarded the NCE postion to an Armoured officer.

Irrelevant.  Op PALLADIUM Roto 0 the main contribution was an Infantry BG and the Comd NCE was artillery.  Roto 1 the main contribution was an Infantry BG and the Comd NCE was again a gunner.  Comd NCE are their for their capability, not their capbadge.  

I'm not trying to bust your balls about your reply Kevin, but the army has to get away from these cap badge games.  Personally, I'd rather be lead by an extremely competent HCA officer who will successfully accomplish the mission vice an incompetent Infantry Offr, who is going to get me killed.  LCol Vida left for personal reasons.  Maybe he is dissatisfied with the way the army is going, at least he did the honourable thing and retired instead of sticking around being an obstacle to "Progress".  

Good Retirement LCol Vida.  End of mission.

Gunner,
I play ground hog day in the QRF tent...

The Op Palladium Roto's the Inf Bn's that formed the Btl Gp's had CO's.  The continegent commander which we have renamed as NCE was more of an administrator then - the CO 'fought' his unit.

The 1VP 031's are FP assets - realistically if we wanted to patrol the city the Roto would have been much more 031 heavy.  Ask MarkC for an honest assement/feedback of Coyote usefulness is this neck of the woods.

As a Patrica I am extremely sad to see Lt Col Vida go he is the best CO I have served under since I joined some 17+ years ago
Though 'Super Dave' Chupick is runner up when he had 2 RCHA (92-93)...

No offence the Artillery trade (I saw the light in 94  ;D) - but the only two trades that really should command Btl Gps are Inf and Armd - and historically command has gone to the unit that that has the heavy presence (which in this Roto would have been Inf).

Several NCO's and Officers in 1VP that have their 20, have 30 day released since Lt Col Vida tendered his resignation.  This year I feel the unit is really going to take a kicking - and the CF/Gov't hopefully will realise that the reasons are exactly what MGen Mac stated...

Several NCO's and Officers in 1VP that have their 20, have 30 day released since Lt Col Vida tendered his resignation.  This year I feel the unit is really going to take a kicking - and the CF/Gov't hopefully will realise that the reasons are exactly what MGen Mac stated...

I've stated this before, my biggest fear for the military is those who serve with honour and are respected by the
TROOPS [cause this is what really matters especially once your long retired] will "fall on their sword" and who does that leave behind?
Yep, the politicians bagboys. :-X  and the  inexperienced

George Wallace said:
Just a point for Michael Dorosh, not all CEF were hodge podge collections of units, many went over on the various CEF as "Regiments" and maintained that Regimental family.  The FSSF was comprised of volunteers from all Cdn Units, and when joined by their American counterparts, became a Regiment and a very fine and closely knit one.  That 'Band of Brothers' still maintains close ties and celebrate "Menton Days" passionately. 

But you only prove my point.  The FSSF went from scratch to a superbly melded, highly trained and motivated combat unit capable of performing great deeds (la Difensa, for one, or the sizeable frontage they held at Anzio while opposed by Fallschirmpanzerdivision "Hermann Goering") in a matter of months.  They didn't need a silk flag with the names of ancient battles on it, or a flashy cap badge.  Traditions can be created out of whole cloth instantly.  We did the same thing with the Canadian Guards.  If we have to, we can do it again and again.

I doubt we'll call them "Panzergrenadiers", of course. ;-)

But why not merge the armoured and infantry regiments, if you are serious about intermixed battalions, with squadrons of armour and companies of infantry under the same COs?

You'd have the traditionalists' heads spinning on what to name the new amalgamated units and what hats they should wear....

Back