• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Warriors:The impossible mission

FredDaHead

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has seen that miniseries from the BBC. (4, 1-hour episodes) It‘s about the war in Bosnia in 92-93, and it follows some British soldiers. It seems realistic for a civilian, but is it really?

Thanks for your input,

:cdn: Fred :cdn:

If is the one im thinkin of yes it‘s real. its about a Plt in Bos Grohovo. I was there in 96/98
Sgt J. CD,CDS com

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The programme is based very closely on the tour of 1st Battalion, The 22nd (Cheshire) Regiment in Bosnia in 1992-93.
The events shown are an amalgam of those which happened to various sub-units of the Cheshires, and all placed on one platoon with its four Warrior Infantry Fighting Vehicles. The series was filmed in the Czech Republic, with the full asistance of both the Czech Ministry of Defence and the British, including the lone of a company of Mech Inf. There was an article in Soldier Magazine.

The stressors placed on the soldiers is that which was actually recorded at the time, whilst the resultant problems with war neurosis and PTSD is also based on actual cases.

The CO wrote a very good book. Lt COl Bob Stewart. Broken Lives : A personal view of the Bosnian Conflict. Harper Collins, London, 1993. In this he made no attempt to conceal the fact that he had a unsuccessful marriage, in 1995 he married a Swiss aid worker Claire Podbielski who had worked with his Battalion, this generated a ‘flurry‘ of letters to the British press denigrating him! He received the Last Distinguished Service Order for gallantry, before the regulations for the award were changed (his hair also went pure white during this time). Promoted Col after relinquishing command of his Battalion. He took early retirement
being very disatisfied with the events in the FOrmer Yugoslavia.

Yours,
Jock in Sydney

The Brits seem to have a number if miniseries/documentaries out following military personnel. I watched a good series on TV here that followed a RN destroyer on a deployment, it was quite good (two best scenes - the Marines sunbathing on the deck as the sailors load supplies, and the sailors coming back on board after a night on shore all dressed in women‘s clothes)

There‘s Battle Stripes, Guns and Roses of course as well.

How successful have these been? I‘ve always wondered why CBC didn‘t do something similar.

Back