• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

War Museum Controversy and Follow-up Thread [merged]

Iterator said:
The point being, as an example, a Canadian who joined the US army and fought in Vietnam is an American War veteran who happens to be a Canadian - not a Canadian War veteran.

Being one... +1

exercist said:
48 Highrs - Please re-read my post carefully. If you are talking about the two times I think you are talking about, Canada went to war. Canadians, also and by exception, fought with allied units and formations, with the authority of the Canadian government. That is not fighting in a foreign war; that is fighting in a Canadian war.

Joining the US Armed Forces in order to fight in Vietnam is fighting in a foreign war. Isn't it?

Perhaps I would be a little less cynical if our allies were a little less idiosyncratic about which repugnant regimes they support and which ones they attack.

I don't know how you arriving at your conclusions.....but all Canadian Viet Nam Vets all fought for a foreign armed force. Viet Nam never was a Canadian Conflict, even though 30,000 Canadian served in foreign forces that fought over there. The only time the CF was represented in Viet Nam was as UN members at the end of the conflict.

You lack of profile lends you NO credibility, so if you do not know what you are talking about....stay in your lane.

A couple of points:

First, my initial post simply noted an anomaly in the War Museum's policy on "Canadians in foreign wars" - one got in, the other didn't. Any comment?

Second, any remarks about My Lai do not reflect on the overwhelming majority of US service personnel who have fought honourably in Vietnam and in other conflicts before and since. My remarks about Abu Graib, Guantanamo and repugnant regimes stand.

Finally, I am perfectly comfortable in this lane, thank you.

The anomaly of not recognizing one's nasty little secrets is not exclusive to the US.

Japan still does not recognize what it did in WW2 as being wrong & doesn't really understand why someone would drop an A Bomb on them....

Russia / Soviet Union never really acknowledged wrong in the invasion of Poland in the early days of WW2, the occupation of Czeckoslovakia, Hungary, etc, etc, etc.....

So to point to the US and saying "bad dog" without doing so to the others is based on biased values IMHO

I should also point out that the US is more or less the only world super power left standing.  Whenever the feces hits the fan, we all turn to them & ask, what are you going to do about this mess?... is it OK to roundly criticize them immediately after they have acted upon "our" requests?

Please review the previous posts. The issue was raised in the context of whether Canada should place its dirty little secrets in museums or quietly forget about them. My Lai was mentioned - and nobody ever claimed that the US was alone in having blots on its historical escutcheon. Let us indeed take a moment to condemn the evil, whether institutionalized or otherwise, that led to Auschwitz, the Katyn Forest, the Burma Railway, My Lai and Belet Huen.

I do however not recall Canada asking the US to invade Iraq, or indeed endorsing the claims about weapons of mass destruction that have, I think, been generally demonstrated to have been false. As the annual number of dead Iraqis (estimated conservatively) begins to exceed the number killed by Saddam Hussein (estimated liberally), I think it is fair to question an illegal war, prosecuted badly.

Finally, that the US is the "only superpower left standing" does not exonerate anything. The image of a benign global policeman doing the right thing for the world despite continued vilification wears a bit thin. If the town policeman was the best-paid guy in town, owned much of the local business, applied the law with favoritism, and at the end of the day argued that he was above the law, the town might well wonder. Policing, like soldiering, requires an abandonment of self-interest.

The United States has been, and has an amazing ability to be a force of good in the world, as a result of its many positive attributes. Does anyone see that happening right now?

exercist said:
Please review the previous posts. The issue was raised in the context of whether Canada should place its dirty little secrets in museums or quietly forget about them. My Lai was mentioned - and nobody ever claimed that the US was alone in having blots on its historical escutcheon. Let us indeed take a moment to condemn the evil, whether institutionalized or otherwise, that led to Auschwitz, the Katyn Forest, the Burma Railway, My Lai and Belet Huen.

Excuse me did you just compare  Belet Huen to Auschwitz, the Katyn Forest and the  Burma Railway? 

Man that’s a stretch even for the "Troops Out" Birkenstock brigade regulars that occasional infest this place with their post and run trolling, care to elaborate. On second thought don't bother I've reached my quota of self righteous drivel for the day.  ::)

The United States has been, and has an amazing ability to be a force of good in the world, as a result of its many positive attributes. Does anyone see that happening right now?

www.usaid.gov

Some of these folks might be grateful...

exercist said:
Please review the previous posts. The issue was raised in the context of whether Canada should place its dirty little secrets in museums or quietly forget about them....

Well, I'm not a Topic Wrangler, so sticking with that then:

The Somalia Incident had only a limited impact on Canada and Canadians. Even the course of Canada's efforts in Somalia probably wasn't affected. There is little to learn from the incident that we didn't already know. Its comparison to other Canadian military events is insignificant. The Somalia Incident is a form of Tabloid History: there are some shocking photos and a political dust-up about documents - that's all.

The scale and connectedness of the atrocity should dictate how it is displayed. Knowing about the Somalia Incident, or not, will not change anything about Canada, and very little in the CF (in the CF you would probably see an effort made to not recreate similar conditions).

There was the other issue you brought up:
exercist said:
...On the War Museum, I was interested to see that there was a small display recognizing the Canadians who - for whatever reasons - volunteered to join the US armed forces during Vietnam. There was not however any recognition of the Canadians who served with the MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion in the International Brigade during the Spanish Civil War. ...

My opinion, as mentioned before, Canadians joining the US army and serving in Vietnam are a part of American military history. Canadians joining Stalin's Communist Spanish Republican forces serving in Spain are a part of the USSR's Spanish military history.

exercist said:

Yes., no qualifiers needed.

Each of the incidents referred to above differs in scale and character. I did not compare them, I merely included them in the same sentence. (Each would meet the criteria of the Rome Treaty regarding war crimes/crimes against humanity - they have that much in common.)

Given the fallout of Belet Huen, it is hard to argue that it was not a historically significant event. Whether or not one agrees with the actions taken by the government (and I do not), it perhaps merits objective mention in any museum chronicalling our recent military history. We use the term "strategic corporal" - Clayton Matchee et al would seem to fit the bill, albeit in a rather negative way. I go back to the argument that a museum may interpret history from more than one perspective, and our War Museum should be able to include the good and the bad.

On which, the tragedy of Belet Huen (apart from the loss of life etc.) was that it distracted atention from a relatively successful UN mandate (measuring effects against objectives), as well as a good example of inter-service cooperation or "jointness" in a period when our doctrine was not strong on that sort of thing. The success of this should undoubtedly be recorded.

And my feet are in boots, not Birkenstocks.

Chop said:
What is hapenning is an outrage, there are 2 paintings depicting Clayton Matchee and Kyle Brown beating and torturing and killing that Somalian that will be in the new museum of Cliff Chadderton is livid. He is well known in the veteran community as well as head of War Amps Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/05/03/war-musuem050503.html

This is just an awful shame, Joe Geurts and Gertrude Kears should be ashamed. for even thinking of putting such a painting in the museum, I will never step foot in that building ever in my life, some 10,000 Canadian Airborne Regiment men have been put to shame because of the disbandment because of the action of two men, it was all political due the fact they had to shrink the budget at the time, but it looks like the shame will continue.

Chop you should not feel that way...I just recently visited that museum with my family and of course this was one of the last things we saw during our visit.  I didn't see it as shaming the Airbourne Regiment .  My actual first thought was " Damn, I have forgotten about that "  I guess my point is....I never forget the Airbourne, as so many of you still wear your t-shirts, and sweatshirts with pride, and so you should.  Who I forgot was Clayton Matchee and Kyle Browne and their cowardliness.

Not going to to war museum is a personal choice...One of which I hope you someday will change...Especially if you have children.  I think it would bea shame for them to miss out on such history as well as you.

PetawawaMama

It'll be interesting to see what art comes out of this proposed study of another facet of war (edited to clarify subject line that she doesn't appear to be painting the wounded themselves).

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

A brush with war's horror
EARL McRAE, Ottawa Sun, 15 Feb 07
Article Link - [http://www.karenbailey.ca/|Karen Bailey's web page, including some of her work]

Three floors up the creaky, wide, wooden staircase of the old and long-closed school, the wintry northern light flooding through her studio windows, the artist works surrounded by her paintings, waiting every day for the news that part of her hopes she won't hear.

"I know it does sound macabre," she says about waiting for the significant incident -- as they metaphorically put it to her -- but she knows, too, it's a possible reality, and as an artist it speaks to her soul, as an artist it's what she would want to do, so she watches the TV, and she listens to the radio, and she reads the papers, she awaits the news.

"They told me to keep my bags packed," she says, pouring a cup of coffee. "I have clearance to fly out right away. They're paying all my expenses."

Ottawa's Karen Bailey.

At 46, one of this country's finest painters, and soon to join -- if the news comes -- the honourable list of those who, down through the past century, preceded her when Canada answered the highest call. Karen Bailey, War Painter. Karen Bailey who, at 46, has never been with soldiers in combat, has never seen a soldier wounded, a soldier maimed, a soldier dying. Nor painted any. Karen Bailey who is ready to go at any time.

But it won't be to Afghanistan, it won't be to the Canadian theatre of war.

The military would not provide the liability insurance for a civilian painter. It will be, should it happen, to where the wounded, the maimed, the brave Canadian soldiers are taken, to where they either survive or die, to where Canadian doctors and nurses await them. It will be to the giant American military hospital at Landstuhl, Germany.

"I'll be there at least a week. I'll take photographs and make sketches, not only focusing on the soldiers, but the doctors and nurses, the medical personnel. I'm also interested in the behind-the-scenes people, the caterers, those who provide and prepare the food. They're important, too. People have to eat.

"This is not like where you have somebody coming into your studio for the purpose of letting you paint them. It can't be that. Nor do you have that time. I'm hoping to be allowed to be in an operating room. But this is about trying to be a fly on the wall. I'll complete the paintings after I get home."

When she heard through the artists' community that the Department of National Defence was looking for artists, for war painters, she applied -- her body of work, her credentials, so impressive that she got the job. Her style is somewhat impressionistic, but all her own. "I prefer to call it Bailey's Way," she says with a laugh. Her paintings range in price from $500 to $4,000. Much of her wide-ranging subject matter is displayed on her website.

She's been painting full-time for 25 years, an honours graduate of the Reigate School of Art and Design in England. She's illustrated numerous books, both at home and abroad. Twice she's received the acclaimed Elizabeth Greenshields Grant for drawing and painting. She was artist-in-residence at the private girls' school Elmwood from 2003 to 2005. She was the designer of the portraits on former governor-general Adrienne Clarkson's medal of academic excellence.

Undoubtedly, for Karen Bailey, War Painter, it could be an emotional experience at Landstuhl, but she is honoured to have been chosen.

"I want people to look at the paintings and understand the military experience, the emotion of it. It's about capturing emotion. It will be left to me, it will be how I myself see and feel it as an artist."

Should -- as she waits day by day listening, watching, reading -- the "significant incident" come.

I'll certainly be interested to see what comes out of it, but I'm a little perturbed that DND isn't letting our war artists into theater...isn't that the point of war artists?  Park their easels in an FOB, and paint away?

I know we've got our image techs out and about (not enough, we're still seeing Kestersen's (sp?) video as the only CTV TFA video clip) but what about the other mediums?  I've been awed by some of Canada's war art, lets make sure Afghanistan is represented in the same body of work.

DF

TFA Roto 0 hired a War Artist, commissioning 4 large pieces and 8 small pieces.  Three artists competed, and Ms Gertrude Kearns was chosen (her work hangs in the War Museum, including some slightly controversial pieces on Cpl Matchee and Pte Brown).  She spent 4 or 4 weeks in theatre.

The results are stunning - I have been involved in the project from the beginning, and discussed and viewed the 4 pieces in her studio in Toronto throughout the process.

War artists are an important part odf the countries military and artistic heritage - and one that we must not forget.  The insurance problem was solved by offering enough renumeration that the artist could purchase their own policy.

ParaMedTech said:
I'll certainly be interested to see what comes out of it, but I'm a little perturbed that DND isn't letting our war artists into theater...isn't that the point of war artists?  Park their easels in an FOB, and paint away?

I know we've got our image techs out and about (not enough, we're still seeing Kestersen's (sp?) video as the only CTV TFA video clip) but what about the other mediums?  I've been awed by some of Canada's war art, lets make sure Afghanistan is represented in the same body of work.

DF

The green-eyed liability monster - I'm guessing she wouldn't be able to get her own insurance, and if the CF doesn't want to cover her, not too many more options....

Gotta wonder, though (minor tangent), how the university anthropologist who studied the "Grunts in the Mist" in AFG was covered?  If she was untrained, but with the troops, couldn't an artist be covered in some way?

I had heard of Ms Kearn's work, through members here.  I wonder what the shift was between Roto 0 and Roto 3(?). Salary alone?

There was a recent MSM piece on a physician who wanted to work in KAF, and was surprised to discover he couldn't get insurance.  Same issue?  Is insurance simply not avail to Canadian with the CF?  Who underwrites the contracted support staff in theater?

DF

ParaMedTech said:
I had heard of Ms Kearn's work, through members here.  I wonder what the shift was between Roto 0 and Roto 3(?). Salary alone?

I'm not there, so not sure what the difference is - I do know that this was quite hard to ram through - but as it was important, ram it thru we did.

ParaMedTech said:
but I'm a little perturbed that DND isn't letting our war artists into theater...isn't that the point of war artists?  Park their easels in an FOB, and paint away?

DF

Believe me they are just as perturbed. My kid brother is in the same boat. Has been pleading with DND for over two years now. Given that he is the only Canadian artist to make it into Taschen's The Polaroid Book and has had his work grace the walls of the National. I just tell him he has not starved enough yet and still has both ears attached.

This, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act, is from today’s Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070219.wxafghan19/BNStory/Entertainment/home
The Afghan War, through our eyes
Val Ross visits a riveting new exhibit at the Canadian War Museum that, instead of artifacts, relies on video and photographs to tell its stories

VAL ROSS
From Monday's Globe and Mail

OTTAWA — Like the conflict it chronicles, Afghanistan: A Glimpse of War, which opened this month at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa, is unfinished. The exhibition begins very precisely, with the events of Sept. 11, 2001, when al-Qaeda terrorists smashed planes into the World Trade Center in New York City, and of Sept. 20, when Canada officially decided to join the mission against al-Qaeda in Afghanistan.

But the final rooms of the show dwindle down to blank walls -- because who knows how the story ends?

A Glimpse of War fascinates on several levels. Compared to a typical exhibition, it has been created from precious few artifacts. Mostly it is made up of videos by documentary filmmaker Garth Pritchard, who's been over to Afghanistan five times since 2002, and the photos of Stephen Thorne, a Canadian Press photographer who accompanied the Canadian forces on their first helicopter assault in March 2002; he stayed for nine months between 2003-2004. It was because Thorne's son was dating the daughter of a war museum employee that the museum first learned of the trove of visual material available.

After contacting Thorne and Pritchard, staff assembled the show in 18 months -- breakneck by museological standards (last year's Clash of Empires show took more than a decade to organize).

Still, the few artifacts in this show have a powerful impact. Sept. 11, for example, is evoked not only through photos and texts but also $10,000 worth of Canadian $100 bills, crushed into a solid brick by the buildings' collapse (did they belong to one of the doomed Canadians working in the towers?). There's also a crumpled piece from one of the killer planes.

Nearby are the last messages from the doomed people inside the buildings, and newspapers blaring day-of-infamy headlines. But the museum's own low-key curatorial texts avoid editorializing. "We're sensitive that people will say this show is nothing more than propaganda for the government," says Dean Oliver, the War Museum's director of research and exhibitions. "We want the participants to speak more to you than I or the historian."

Indeed, the show is a case study in how to be as apolitical as possible -- a wise decision given the divisions in this country over Canada's involvement. Besides, as Oliver points out, "We don't have Cabinet records, we don't know why key decisions were made." Instead, the exhibition invites the public to editorialize by posting their comments on boards at key junctures.

By the 9/11 portion of the show, a young visitor has posted, "I was five and all I can remember is watching a plane flying into two towers and lots of blak [sic] dust." A more adult hand has written: "I am a firefighter. I lost close personal friends."

Another station poses the question: How should Canada have responded? "Exactly as they did!" responds someone signing herself "Widow of CF member." But another response is: "Le Canada devrait agir comme lui-même, non pas comme les Etats Unis" [in our own way, not the Americans']. In organizing Afghanistan, curators bypassed the region's history; there's only a glancing reference to U.S. funding of rebels in the 1990s, or about insurgents who proved eager to bomb a hand that fed them. However, a tantalizing sense of how some in the region regard al-Qaeda is evidenced by a box of a popular children's candy, which bears the startling label Osama Bin Laden Kulfa Balls.

In this show, Afghans sometimes are shown as rebuilders of their ruined country and its political institutions (my favourite footage shows women at a polling booth lifting their burkas to kiss each other in congratulation after voting). But mostly the locals are depicted as enigmatic allies or implacable adversaries -- in other words, as Canadian soldiers see them. Fundamentally, this is a show about Canadians: what we have done and endured since our troops officially arrived on Feb. 2, 2002.

We have shot -- a MacMillan Tac .50 long-range rifle is displayed under a rather proud reminder of the prowess of Canadian snipers. We have been shot at -- Pritchard's footage shows a U.S. surgeon slicing through the Canadian flag tattoo on a soldier's shoulder, and then removing shrapnel. We have killed and been killed -- a U.S. officer threw Thorne off the Kandahar military base on April 15, 2002 for taking photos of dead U.S. soldiers. Two days later Thorne was allowed back -- to cover the deaths of four Canadians killed by friendly fire.

The final elements of the show are the twisted wreckage of an armoured G-wagon destroyed by a roadside bomb, and the museum's video assemblage of photos sent by the families of 44 Canadian soldiers who have died in the conflict. It takes 15 minutes to see the whole thing. Many visitors stay for the duration, out of respect and because it's difficult to look away.

When I do look away, I discover one extra artifact that has been added to Afghanistan, a family snapshot of a young man taped to the museum wall. A Remembrance Day poppy and a black ribbon are pinned to the photo.

For now the curators are leaving it there. "It's the people's museum," says Oliver.

It will a month or more before I’m back in Ottawa and have an opportunity to see this exhibit.

Methinks I'll be driving down to Ottawa in the near future....

Chimo!

Back