• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Volunteer Opportunities in CDN Forces

N

nbk

I am a high school student graduating in June and one of the new policies that all high school students in Ontario must fufill is 40 hours of "Community service". Like we didn‘t already consider school enough like prison, we are being forced to do convicted felon work in order to get our diploma...

But enough whining. I am interested to know if anyone has any ideas of volunteer opportunities in the Canadian military. Any branch, Navy, Air force, but preferably Army will do. Basic volunteer requirements apply:

*Must not get paid for work
*Must not take a job away from someone who would get paid for their work
*etc...

I figure since I must do this work, I may as well do something I can benefit from. I think it would be beneficial for me to do some work for free in the military, and would only aid when I do showcase my application to the forces this summer. So does anyone know of any volunteer positions I can apply for? I‘m prepared to do just about anything.

hmm.. for volunteer work, just work at a local community centre or something, I dont think your have any luck with "volunteering" in the military

I did mine through the community centre, an I‘m using the Army Reserve to get my 30hours of work experiance(payed)

Not much chance of finding a volunteer position in the CF. There are issues with liability and insurance. Seeing that you are in Toronto and all, I would suggest working at one of the major hospitals in the region. Good clean work, and it can be interesting too. Sometimes showcasing your varied interests can be just as influential at the recruiting centre.

Have you tried contacting Cadets ? They are always looking for people to help out with the kids... :cdn:

I think the idea of "Community service" is that you as an individual don‘t really bennifit from it.

I think the idea of "Community service" is that you as an individual don‘t really bennifit from it.
I believe that the individual benefits. I‘ve learned more usefull stuff at the Salvation Army than I did in high school (alright thats sad, but its true!!).

Dong work for free teaches you to go the extra mile... you put the effort in because it gives you the feeling of a job well done, regardless of payment.

In my own humble opinion, there is alot more wisdom to be gained from the guys who do it for free than in the guys who do it because its their job.

Thanks for all your insights and suggestions, if anyone has any other ideas, please share...

Literacy programs, teaching adults to read,
Special Olympics,
(ive done that, its rewarding)
Work at a food bank,
(makes you humble good choice too)
Civilian instructer with a cadet corps,
If you have a vehicle,
Driving old folks to appointments
Doctor, shopping etc

If you‘re in Toronto, the ‘Out of the Cold‘ program is a worthwhile thing. When I was back in Toronto over the Christmas holidays, I volunteered there. There were quite a few kids there doing their 40 hours of community service, helping the homeless. I think a lot of them were down to the wire, and were volunteering as much as possible in order to make it.

A local community centre or church (you don‘t have to be religious or anything) would probably show you where to go.

Back