• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Volunteer firefighters in Reg Force (merged)

Also take a look at CFAO 19-7 -- CIVIL EMPLOYMENT -MILITARY PERSONNEL

Unless the approval of NDHQ is obtained, no member on full-time service shall be employed by or serve as a member or auxiliary member of:

1. the Royal Canadian Mounted Police;
  2. a provincial or municipal police force or any other constabulary force; or
  3. a provincial or municipal emergency planning organization.

There has been confusion in the past if a VFD is a municipal emergency planning organization.

Take a read.  Knowledge is power.

Cheers,

MC

"3. a provincial or municipal emergency planning organization."

The Offices of Emergency Management OEM ( provincial and municipal ) work closely with fire and EMS, but are independant.

The CF link in reply #4 seems specific to vollies.

There is a form to fill out for volunteering as a fire fighter. Problem is not too many people are aware of it. I'll try and post a link when I go back to work. It is in RAMM Chapter 10 (this is the fire service program). It is a form basically stating that if you are injured and have to be medically released from the military you are aware that you may not be covered under VA. You sign it and it goes up to your CO. As far as I am aware it is not really a form for approval, more along the lines of a disclaimer.

Thanks all for the show of support! I'm trying to look into the waiver, If anyone finds a link before i do, mind posting it for the masses to find in the future?

Also, does anyone know anything about the mandatory 8 hours of rest directly prior to duty?

Thanks again everyone!

I'm back at work later this week and will try to post a link then.  The main part is that whatever fire department you volunteer with should have enough insurance that if something were to happen you would be covered by them if not by Veterans. I do not know anything about an 8 hour of rest prior to work. I know that that applies to certain jobs. It could also be a CO's policy. I know for us you are expected to show up to work ready and able to work for your whole shift.

ottawa613 said:
Also, does anyone know anything about the mandatory 8 hours of rest directly prior to duty?

Some safety sensitive occupations "must have a minimum of eight hours off between scheduled shifts in order
to provide for an adequate rest period."

Back