• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voluntary Release (VR) from Reserve - anytime [Merged]

Hey Guys

Quick update, my son completed his BMQ , shipped out to Victoria for life on PAT until his trade training starts ...

Excellent. How does he feel about that?

Happy to be out of BMQ,  but itching to get his trade training, and fleet school so he can get his ship.  That said I think a few weeks on PAT, will get him ready for life in the service.

All he talked about on the night of his graduation was" Dad I am so glad you talk me out of the VR , I am so glad I did not VR , "  he is really happy and I think he will do his full 25 , but it is just the beginning of his joinery. 

Damn now I have to remember to post here if bmq gets tough for me too.

Good on your son and you :)

winster1969 said:
All he talked about on the night of his graduation was" Dad I am so glad you talk me out of the VR , I am so glad I did not VR , "

Not an unexpected result, but good to see nonetheless.

And maybe he has a little more respect for your advice, now, too.

Pump him full of as much of that as you can while you can, though.

AbdullahD said:
Damn now I have to remember to post here if bmq gets tough for me too.

Get your father to do that. It seems to be more effective.

winster1969 said:
All he talked about on the night of his graduation was" Dad I am so glad you talk me out of the VR , I am so glad I did not VR , "  he is really happy and I think he will do his full 25 , but it is just the beginning of his joinery.

Great to hear he's stayed with it. Some "once in a lifetime" great stuff comes with the job. Nothing happens without passing the entry level challenges. I'll echo Loachman and offer any current advice he is willing to accept. It's better to work from facts than rumor.

winster1969 said:
All he talked about on the night of his graduation was" Dad I am so glad you talk me out of the VR , I am so glad I did not VR , "

Turn his room into a man cave before he changes his mind?  :) < joke >

Attachments

• mancave.jpg
    mancave.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 312
Hello, im in the last few weeks of bmq and ive decided i want to become an officer instead. Now the problem is that they wont let me do that unless i complete my initial engagement of 5 years. I talked to my platoon comander and he said another way to go about it would be to vr, get my degree on my own dime and re apply as an officer in a couple years. I thought this was a great idea and even though it is not a sure thing, thats what ive decided to do. I was just wondering how long will it take for me to get released after basic? Do i go on PAR for a while or will they process my request fairly quickly? My CoC has not been very forthcoming in details so any info would be appreciated!

williamholden55 said:
I was just wondering how long will it take for me to get released after basic?

VR before, during and after BMQ
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca++VR+BMQ&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=K-NBV9SdJMSC8QeN5pWYCw&gws_rd=ssl

See also,

Early vr 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/116605.0

NEED TO VR AFTER AS SOON AS I COMPLETE MY BMQ!. 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/89681.0

Release after BMQ 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/90791.0

HOW LONG FOR VOLUNTARY RELEASE IF AFTER BASIC?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/73938.0

VR Declined 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/109003.0/nowap.html

VR being pushed aside
http://army.ca/forums/threads/107212.0

etc...

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

For reference,

quitting before training completion. penalty?
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/124251/post-1458985/topicseen.html#new
I wonder about any consequences for breaking my oath and quitting, such as a dishonourable discharge.

DAA said:
It's your responsibility to try and make time for training commitments with your Reserve Unit.  As far as future training, you will need to speak with the Reserve Unit which you are joining, as they will be the ones who schedule this.  They too also have full-time jobs or commitments elsewhere, so for the most part, they will more than likely be willing to try and work with your schedule of availability.

Pusser said:
That's not new.  That's been the policy for as long as I've been around.  Whether it was enforced that way or not is another issue...
I heard about that after 2012, lol

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

(sorry if this in the wrong sub forum/or this question was answered in another thread but couldn't find it)

Reserves : wanted to know what is the best way to VR from PRes but in away that wouldn't hurt my career's in future  (from civi jobs)but also from coming back in the military if I chose to come back

right now I only have BMQ under my belt(I assume I would have to restart? or after 5 years restart? bmq, if I decided to come back and I would have a bit longer in wait? for admin )

The easiest way is a 4C VR. It will have absolutely zero negative affect on any of you future career. In layman's terms, it's an "honourable discharge".

If you get back in, regardless of whenthey will look at how long it has been since you did BMQ, and they will possibly waive your requirement to complete BMQ over again.

Now, technically you could VR to the SuppRes, and officially that's supposed to make it easier to get back in, but in my experience that has not been the case, and just a straight up full release resulted in an easier time getting back in.

TheSnake said:
(sorry if this in the wrong sub forum/or this question was answered in another thread but couldn't find it)

Reserves : wanted to know what is the best way to VR from PRes but in away that wouldn't hurt my career's in future  (from civi jobs)but also from coming back in the military if I chose to come back
)

Can we ask why you want a VR?  What changed? 

Eye In The Sky said:
I agree with the "finish the course" comments.

If you are sincere about wanting to rejoin, now is a bad time/I am busy stuff...discuss this with your unit.  They may be able to help. 

There are options, discussing "how long you are busy for" etc with them, they may be able to work around it.  Delay your next course, let you train when avail until  you can commmit, etc.  Different units, and even different COs take different approachs to this.  Some understand 'life happens' and will accomodate.  YOu could apply for a period of ED & T (exempt Drill and Trg, if that still exists) where you don't go NES if you aren't at trg nights/weekends.  In short, there may be options other than release.

Food for thought if you are serious about not wanting to just get out and stay out.  Its the Reserves, so you serve under Reserve Terms of Service.  You don't get fired if you miss a training night or exercise.

However, if you do get out and seriously plan on rejoining, finish the course and ask about the Supplemental Ready Reserve in your OR/CofC.

wait with BMQ only you can apply for Supp Reserve? thought you needed a minimum of you're trades course.

You need DP1 to go to Supp Res.  Without it, a transfer request will be rejected.

dapaterson said:
You need DP1 to go to Supp Res.  Without it, a transfer request will be rejected.

Ah. My bad. Then yes, 4C release and don't worry about the consequences (other than not being in the military anymore).

dapaterson said:
Okay so my best opition is to VR, and come back when I got stuff in my civi life handled?

TheSnake said:
okay so my best opition is to VR, and come back when I got stuff in my civi life handled?

Well, I don't think anyone here can really say what's best for you and yours...

That being said, I know the Army Reserves are a bit different than the Naval Reserves, but the reserves in general are pretty relaxed when it comes to commitments.

The CO at the Naval Reserve unit I worked at had a saying: "Family First, then you Civi Job, then the Reserves".

There is no minimum number of days that you MUST attend drill and training. If you have legitimate reasons not to be at weekly drill and training, that is fine. The key here is that it must be legitimate, and it must be communicated.

If you can NEVER make it to weekend exercises because of family issues, but CAN make it to every weekly parade night, GREAT! Just make sure your chain of command knows. If in the same situation, something comes up on Monday and you can't make it to that week's weekly training night, that's fine too! Call you Army boss up (or text) and explain it to him!

Finally, if you need to take some time away from the reserves for an extended period of time, you can go on ED&T (exempt drill & training). It basically exempts you from showing up to ANY drill and training during period for which you are on ED&T, which can be for up to a year... I believe... (I'd verify that...) You can go on ED&T for just about any reason. Going away to college for the year? ED&T until next summer. Going backpacking in Europe with your buddies for a month? ED&T for a month. Whatever it is, there is a process for it, and it should be approved (I'm not even sure it can be denied, truth be told...).

Anywas, your mileage may vary, because the Army PRes works a bit different then the Navy PRes, but on our side, we would take only as much as you were willing and able to give, and we didn't make you stress about your civilian job or family life just so you can show up on Tuesday night and attend lectures.

:salut:

Back