• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

'Very violent tour' earns medals

• Thread starter Thread starter GAP
  • Start date Start date

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
'Very violent tour' earns medals
By RANDY RICHMOND, SUN MEDIA
  Article Link

A London military commander, his right-hand man from Chatham and a third soldier from Listowel will receive medals this week for their efforts during a harrowing tour in Afghanistan.

"We saw quite a bit of combat. My true gratitude is to my guys," Major Mark Gasparotto of London said.

Gasparotto commanded the 23 Field Squadron Combat Engineers from August 2006 to February 2007, one of the bloodiest tours of duty Canadian soldiers have seen in Afghanistan.

"It was a very violent tour," Gasparotto said from CFB Gagetown, N.B.

Riding in the back of Gasparatto's light-armoured vehicle during most of his trips "outside the wire" of headquarters was Master Warrant Officer Bradley Montgomery, originally from Chatham.

The two men, as well as Lt.-Col John Conrad of Listowel, who served with a different unit, are to receive Meritorious Service Medals from the Governor General.

The awards are given for a deed or activity of "a very high standard that brings . . . honour to the Canadian Forces," says the Department of National Defence.

Gasparotto, a combat engineer, was credited with "exceptional leadership under enemy fire" that "saved the lives of Canadian soldiers," the department says.

The Catholic Central grad commanded what he called an "eclectic group" of 135 combat engineers.

They fought as infantry during battle, blew holes through enemy defences, built bunkers for their own defence, sniffed out and dismantled explosives, and built a key road through the heart of insurgents' territory.

"We were attacked almost every day by the Taliban, who did not want the road to go through," Gasparotto said.

They were also under attack by drug lords, rival tribes and armed men engaged in centuries-old blood feuds.
More on link

Hmm.... I'm apart of chatham's regiment, well soon to be, wonder if I'll meet Montgomery

Mont is an Engineer, in 2 CER these days, I believe, so, no probably not.

Montgoomery probably dosen't even know anything about the E&K's. If he did, ou'd probably see him in the Mess aorund Christmas time.

why wouldnt he know about the E&K's, he is originally from Chatham, logically thinking, that would possibly be the first area he would've seen the CF and as a MWO he would probably know the other units within southern ontario

Kat Stevens said:
Mont is an Engineer, in 2 CER these days, I believe, so, no probably not.

Actually, he's at CMTC now...

Back