• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vehicles to A-Stan

scm77

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering, how did we get all of our LAV3‘s and other armoured vehicles to Afghanistan?

Also, we have our replenishment ships, but I was curious on what peoples thoughts on sealifts are. I think we would only need one or maybe 2 (one for east coast one for west coast). The US navy got the USS Bob Hope for approx. 240million. That really isn‘t that much and that would be all we need to carry our tanks or other armoured vehicles without having to hitch a ride with the US.

One other thing, approx. how long would it take to go by boat, I think those big ships go 20-30 knoughts to the middle east? Perhaps one of the Navy people would know that.

I guess I can answer some of this. If we want to prove viable to overseas operations we need AORs and heavy sea lift ships. From a naval standpoint I know a lot of the higher ups do not like this concept of having a combination of replenishment and a sealift vessel. We need both but in the long run we will have ships that can only do a job good but not as well it could.
The Bob Hope is USNS not USS.
Length of time to get there depends on sea going conditions but if it was a civillian charter that they took they were not doing no 20-30 knots more like 18 and maybe 20. Since I don‘t know where it offloaded its cargo of LAVs and other vehicles I can‘t say how long it would take.

A Real Wake-Up Call: The Continuing Decline of the U.S.-Flag Merchant Fleet

I posted the above in Current Affairs and it explain‘s the present prediciment with transporting troop‘s and equipment over sea‘s as the 1st world nation‘s no longer have the merchant fleet‘s any more because thier fleet‘s are all under Foriegn Flag‘s with 3rd world crew‘s and there is a shortage of qualified Ship‘s Officer‘s.

Read the link it‘s quite disturbing for the U.S. never mind us or the U.K and the U.K. is having the same problem!!

I know,my Civie Job is Marine Engineering Officer.
I only hold a 4th class motor ticket and I know if I play my card‘s right I can sign a contract for $4,000 U.S. a month for 6 month‘s with paid leave and go back aboard and be at sea for another 6 month‘s and after that I can up the anti!!And it‘s happening to day as I speak!

Philippino Engineering Officer‘s with 2nd class Engineer‘s tcket‘s are making $3,000 U.S. amonth!
World wide there are no Ship‘s Officer‘s because nobody whant‘s to go to sea any more!!

That‘s why we in the 1st world have no heavy movement capabilty!!

No Merchant Navies left!

P.S. Been at sea since I was 18 except for 5yrs when I was a full time Militia Plug :salute: 76-81

ex-Dragoon:

"Length of time to get there depends on sea going conditions but if it was a civillian charter that they took they were not doing no 20-30 knots more like 18 and maybe 20"

You are probably right about the length of time and speed of the ships that Canada‘s equipment took to get to Afghanistan, but there are sealift ships capable of high speed take a look at these USN Military Sealift Command ships http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-takr.html

18 days to the Persian Gulf via Suez Canal...not bad. I bet they are relatively cheap to.

Back