• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Navy blues

ricard

Inactive
Reaction score
Presently on a US exercise and I'm seeing the dinner blues which is the US equivalent of mess kits for us - is the pattern the same like the white chokers?  Can I get tailored for it and buy the jacket and pants here and simply add the accoutrements back home (i.e. gold threads etc).

Everything you need to know is in this pub: ftp://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/Downloads/dhh/CFPs/cfp265.pdf

Unless their pattern is the same as ours though, I'd have to make an educated guess and say no.

MM

Yeah that's the question I'm asking - hoping for something a little more concrete but obviously I'll err in the side of caution if I get no info.

The USN pattern is not the same.  It's very close, but not the same.  The notching on the collar of the blue jacket is not done quite the same way as the Canadian jacket.  Also the Canadian jacket has button holes on the lapels (they serve no purpose, but they are part of the uniform), while the USN  jacket has none.  Buying a blue USN jacket and having it altered to the Canadian pattern might prove more costly than simply having a Canadian one made.  I'm not sure what pattern the USN trousers are either.  The Canadian ones have "a high English back" and the the most costly part of them are the gold stripes.  I'm not sure there would be any savings there either as the stripes would have to be added in Canada.

Finally the white USN jacket has a notched collar, while the Canadian one has a shawl collar.  Altough I have seen Canadian officers wearing USN white jackets.

These differences are not huge and you might get away with it, but I'm not convinced there are big savings to be had, especially if you end up buying a round because some crusty old bugger with a sharp eye out for that sort of thing takes notice.  I'll be on the lookout! ;D :cheers:

I pride myself in being mostly pusser (or "pusser when it counts :) ).

This is EXACTLY the information I wanted and is therefore definitely a no-go for me.

I am however purchasing the white choker while here (and the glossy oxfords which are legal use for us day-to-day); that's what started the whole idea.

Thank you kindly for your wisdom and attention to detail.  Andrei's it is!

medicineman,

Do I need access to CF computer to view the link you posted? I tried on a few different computers/ISPs to no avail. I was quite interested in the topic... alas!

ricard said:
I am however purchasing the white choker while here (and the glossy oxfords which are legal use for us day-to-day); that's what started the whole idea.
The USN high collar white jacket needs to be modified (Canada flashes, tabs for the shoulder boards, and cuffs on the sleeves) when you buy it.  I got mine done at the Halifax Dkyd and it worked out to slightly more expensive that just buying one at Quinpool Tailors.  YMMV.

Nemecek said:
medicineman,

Do I need access to CF computer to view the link you posted? I tried on a few different computers/ISPs to no avail. I was quite interested in the topic... alas!

Yeah, it's from DWAN, my apologies.

MM

Lex Parsimoniae said:
The USN high collar white jacket needs to be modified (Canada flashes, tabs for the shoulder boards, and cuffs on the sleeves) when you buy it.  I got mine done at the Halifax Dkyd and it worked out to slightly more expensive that just buying one at Quinpool Tailors.  YMMV.

I have the flashers and the tabs they'll sew for free in the purchase of the jacket down here.  As for the sleeves, are they not cuffed already?  Just to confirm, you're talking about inverting the material and making them look like the #1 tunic right?

Honestly, it's probably easier to make all of them in Canada.  The high-collar whites would be cheaper in the States, but the rest of the mess kit is cheaper in Canada.

The issue was always cost effectiveness and most importantly following d&d rules.  Not the same pattern implies inability to use as an option - full stop.

The whites are way better to get down here though from my analysis.  $148 got me the jacket with tailoring and loops,  and with NO TAX on NEX purchases.  I _do_ need to find out about the cuffing of the jacket though.  Can anyone shed more light on that?  I put the jacket in the tailors without knowing this was an issue so I might have to take it again.

Thanks everyone!  Great resources all around.

ricard said:
I have the flashers and the tabs they'll sew for free in the purchase of the jacket down here.  As for the sleeves, are they not cuffed already?  Just to confirm, you're talking about inverting the material and making them look like the #1 tunic right?
Yep.

There is no difference between Canadian and USN cuffs on the high-collar white tunic.  In fact, there is no cuff per se.  The sleeves are hemmed (i.e. turned up and sewn) and this should be included in the cost of purchasing the tunic from the NEX. 

Remember that there are two sizes of buttons used on the white tunic, large ones (which are the same size as those on the blue tunic) and smaller ones (same as mess kit buttons, but not as small as the ones on your cap).  All these sizes are available at Clothing Stores, but they may have to search for the pocket buttons.    Another option is to buy nice shiny ones from a tailor.

As for mess kit, if your on the West Coast, go to the Canex tailor (Mia).  She does great work at a reasonable price.

Pusser you should have a paypal button.  At least a "donate drink" button.

Pusser said:
There is no difference between Canadian and USN cuffs on the high-collar white tunic.  In fact, there is no cuff per se.  The sleeves are hemmed (i.e. turned up and sewn) and this should be included in the cost of purchasing the tunic from the NEX. 

Remember that there are two sizes of buttons used on the white tunic, large ones (which are the same size as those on the blue tunic) and smaller ones (same as mess kit buttons, but not as small as the ones on your cap).  All these sizes are available at Clothing Stores, but they may have to search for the pocket buttons.    Another option is to buy nice shiny ones from a tailor.

As for mess kit, if your on the West Coast, go to the Canex tailor (Mia).  She does great work at a reasonable price.
The USN tunic comes with the sleeves un-hemmed.  If you don't catch that when you buy it, then you'll need to get it done.  Just trying to save you the $30 that it cost me last fall.  Dkyd Halifax had the buttons with no issues.

On a side note, the "back" of Cdn pattern buttons (where the ring attachment goes to fasten them onto the tunic) are a lot smaller than the US pattern ones, and the US high-collar tunic holes are sized (obviously) for the US buttons. 

Basically, what it meant was that my Cdn pattern buttons would spin freely even when buttoned up.  I suppose you could make a game of it and turn each one a different way :blotto:

Dimsum said:
On a side note, the "back" of Cdn pattern buttons (where the ring attachment goes to fasten them onto the tunic) are a lot smaller than the US pattern ones, and the US high-collar tunic holes are sized (obviously) for the US buttons. 

Basically, what it meant was that my Cdn pattern buttons would spin freely even when buttoned up.  I suppose you could make a game of it and turn each one a different way :blotto:

Easiest way to deal with that is to not use the rings. Run a boot lace with a knot on the end, starting at the top, down through each of the button loops. Tie a loose knot on the bottom, trim to fit. Makes it shit simple to put them on and take them off. Plus they don't spin on you.

ricard said:
Pusser you should have a paypal button.  At least a "donate drink" button.

I'm always ready to drink when someone else is buying.  :cheers:

Back