• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Election: 2016

You are exactly missing the point. Democrat voter turnout fell by 38% in states which have voter ID in effect, but only 17% where there was no voter ID requirment.

While we can agree that in every state there is less urgency to go out for the Democrat primaries, since Hillary has already purchased enough superdelegates, it is difficult to believe that twice as many people decided not to come out in states where the only difference was a voter ID system in place.

And of course since Republican voter turnout rose regardless of voter ID requirments, there is a very good case demonstrated here that voter ID primarily affects Democrat voters.

cupper said:
Not exactly sure that new Voter ID laws is really the drive behind the drop / increases in turnout noted.

The GOP is in the middle of a civil war and there are significant issues that the candidates bring to the mix, where as the Dems really only have a two candidate race, and in actuality the outcome has all but been decided anyway. So the GOP turnout is up because of they have motivation, the Dems don't. And it also doesn't take into account the number of independent and crossover voters in the open primary states. And caucus states are shouldn't factor into turnout as there are different mechanisms at play, and only the most ardent party voter tends to attend the caucuses due to the time involved in caucusing.

Always remember: Correlation does not imply causation.

And yet the outcome HASN'T been decided. The media in the US that identifies with the Democratic Party establishment would like you to think so, but one just has to look at the 2008 Demorcratic Primaries to understand that the super delegates can and will change their nominations if popular support for Sanders necessitates it. Sanders actually isn't very far behind Clinton when you remove the super delegates who shouldn't be counted at this early stage.

The Washington Post for example published 16 anti-Sanders stories in 16 hours alone this week. There was a virtual media blackout on Sanders until quite recently as well. If you compare air time given to Trump to air time given to Sanders the difference is quite stark:

[urlhttp://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/12/11/abc-world-news-tonight-has-devoted-less-than-on/207428][/url]

Trump wins Mississippi and Michigan.

Everyone start taking note of where you where when his presidency became a real thing.

You know, sitting here listening to Trump give his speech after the polls closed and he was declared by the news outlets as winner, it dawned on me just how painful it is to listen to this man give a speech.

Total train of thought performance. Switches tracks in the middle of a sentence. 50% of the time he's an advertisement for some Trump business. 30% is insult comedy. 20% is something close to information.

:facepalm:

cupper said:
You know, sitting here listening to Trump give his speech after the polls closed and he was declared by the news outlets as winner, it dawned on me just how painful it is to listen to this man give a speech.

Total train of thought performance. Switches tracks in the middle of a sentence. 50% of the time he's an advertisement for some Trump business. 30% is insult comedy. 20% is something close to information.

:facepalm:

Just try staring at his short stubby fingers and the whole thing is easier to take.

Saw a news article about how all the Trump brand ties are made in China. Trump says he doesn`t do his clothing line (or Ivanka`s for that matter) in the US because  "It's very hard to have apparel made in this country". This is the man who is going to fix the economy--a guy incapable of producing ties in the US.  :facepalm:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/08/news/economy/donald-trump-trade/

:cheers:

Hmmm......

He is not politically correct.....

He blusters at the antics of the other politician's and their accusations.....

He points out the follies of past and present governments.....

People enjoy listening to him rag on about the standard mush they are normally fed...

People are voting for him....

Maybe that's what they want.

election-iq-test.jpg
              :pop:

Only because this is "Radio Chatter."

Oh, to be a fly on those walls….

Some Republicans are choosing the arsenic (Cruz) over the firing squad (Trump)
To beat Trump, Cruz might need to start making friends
The senator is hinting that he might seek support from the Senate colleagues he's been infuriating for the past three years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ted-cruz-might-have-to-make-nice-with-the-washington-cartel-to-take-down-donald-trump/2016/03/08/05de3f1c-e486-11e5-b0fd-073d5930a7b7_story.html?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_pkcapitol-407pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham couldn’t remember the last time he spoke to Ted Cruz. “It’s been a while,” Graham (R-S.C.) said last week.

Same for Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), a first-term senator facing a difficult reelection in the fall. And Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah), whose last talk with the fiery GOP presidential candidate from Texas came a “few months ago.”

“We just chatted in general,” Hatch, the Republican elder statesman on Capitol Hill, recalled last week. Cruz has not won the endorsement of a single U.S. senator, something he has worn as a badge of honor as he rails against the “Washington cartel” of bipartisan disappointment.

Now, coming off several critical victories over Donald Trump, Cruz is dropping hints that he may be seeking support from the very colleagues he has repeatedly infuriated during his first three years in the Senate. By late last week, Cruz had spoken to Graham about the presidential race, following a suggestion by the senator from South Carolina that conservatives may have to rally around Cruz to stop Trump from storming to the GOP nomination.

The recent wins have established Cruz as the clear second choice to Trump, eclipsing the establishment favorite, Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.), and setting up the possibility of a long battle throughout the spring for the ideological soul of the Republican Party.

To defeat Trump, however, Cruz must decide whether his best path is sticking to his current stand against everything and anyone in Washington, or if success will require some rapprochement with the Republican establishment, both inside and outside Washington. He may need their votes as well as their money.

But who could even negotiate such a peace?

For now, Graham is the only one talking about it openly, something that seemed implausible just six weeks ago. That’s when Graham, shortly after ending his own presidential bid, likened Trump or Cruz as the nominee to certain death for Republicans. “Like being shot or poisoned,” he said at a Capitol news conference.

Cruz earned the enmity of his Republican colleagues within weeks of joining the Senate in early 2013. He and other junior senators earned the nickname “wacko birds” from Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) when they filibustered the nomination of John Brennan as CIA director over the agency’s use of drones. Some Republicans dubbed Cruz’s plan to shut down the government in an effort to end funding for the Affordable Care Act the “dumbest idea” ever, and another called Cruz a “bully.”

He seemingly burned his last bridge to fellow Republicans last June, as his campaign struggled for early attention, when he delivered a series of floor speeches accusing Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) of lying to GOP senators about his handling of trade legislation.

That tune changed, however slightly, after Rubio’s disappointing showing in the Super Tuesday states left Cruz clearly in second place, with the best chance of overtaking the bombastic Trump.

In some circles, Republicans are choosing the arsenic over the firing squad.

“I don’t think Trump is a Republican. I don’t think he’s a reliable conservative. Ted Cruz and I have a lot of differences, but I do believe he’s a conservative, I do believe he’s a Republican,” Graham told reporters last week. “Marco would be my preferred choice. I think he’s far more electable, but, you know, we’re going to play the hand we’re dealt here.”

No endorsement has been forthcoming, and Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Graham expanded on the theme to say there is “some hope with Ted, no hope with the Donald” with regard to Republicans winning the White House.

That has been an open question among Republicans for months. Some have suggested that Trump’s outreach to white working-class voters has expanded the GOP electorate, making him more viable in a general election and helping down-ballot Republicans among voters not otherwise inclined to support them.

Others view Trump’s racially tinged remarks as brutal fodder for Hillary Clinton, the likely Democratic nominee. They view Cruz — Princeton undergraduate, Harvard Law, argued before the Supreme Court — as someone less prone to make mistakes.

One Republican consulting firm, with no connection to any candidate, recently tested several remaining hopefuls for the nomination for its private-sector clients and provided the results to The Washington Post.

In head-to-head matchups against Clinton, Rubio fared the best, leading her 45 percent to 44 percent; Cruz trailed Clinton narrowly, 45 percent to 42 percent.

Trump fared the worst, trailing 46 percent to 36 percent. The firm also found Trump’s overall standing with the electorate to be toxic: 28 percent of voters viewed him favorably, 65 percent unfavorable.

Some colleagues think such polls, along with six victories in early primaries, demonstrate that Cruz should stick with an approach that has taken him from obscurity to national fame in four years.

“He’s come a long way the way he is, and I don’t think changing his personality is a requisite. I think he’s got a tough, strong personality. A lot of people think that would be good for the presidency,” Hatch, a Rubio supporter, said of Cruz.

Johnson, who is staying neutral, pointed out that voters have discounted most of Rubio’s endorsements from prominent Republicans. “Are you kind of noticing that comments by senators and congressmen and governors and endorsements aren’t really having an effect? I mean, who am I? So the voters are going to decide, and in the end, we will accept their verdict,” he said.

But others think Cruz cannot overcome Trump on his own. After Tuesday’s races, which included Idaho as fertile ground for the senator from Texas, the races shift to mostly large Midwestern and Mid-Atlantic states that aren’t naturally suited for the evangelical Christian’s archconservatism.

Workers in those states have been hit hard by globalization, making them targets for Trump’s nativist populism.

Cruz has called on others to drop out so he can go one on one against Trump. “If you want to beat Donald Trump, we have to stand united as one,” he told supporters after his win in Kansas on Saturday.

Graham says that, once Rubio and Ohio Gov. John Kasich get to contest their home states in next Tuesday’s set of primaries, a grand negotiation must take place to consolidate forces against Trump. Years ago, party elders such as McConnell or Hatch might have brokered that peace.

These days, no one is quite sure it can be done.

“Cruz and Rubio eventually need to combine forces,” Graham said. “I don’t know how they do it, but it would be good for the party if they could.”

The Trump steamroller continues its march....

Yahoo News

Trump romps in Michigan and Mississippi, tightening his grip on the nomination
Holly Bailey and Jon Ward
March 8, 2016

JUPITER, Fla. — Donald Trump advanced his lead in the race for the Republican presidential nomination, winning Mississippi and Michigan, the biggest states up for grabs Tuesday in the increasingly bitter GOP primary contest. Later in the evening, he also scored a victory in the Hawaii caucuses. Meanwhile, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, vying to make it a one-on-one race with Trump, won Idaho.

Unlike last week’s Super Tuesday contests, just 150 delegates were up for grabs Tuesday — and all were awarded proportionally, suggesting that the results would not dramatically alter the current standing of the GOP race, where Trump enjoys a healthy lead over Cruz, Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida and Gov. John Kasich of Ohio

(...SNIPPED)

And Hawaii. Leading in the Florida and Iowa polls for 15 Mar.

Great discussion with Cornel West, you won't see his views represented on the mainstream media very often. There IS a show on CNN who has him on, though I can't recall which one. Anyway, good watch. His analysis of Clinton is spot on. "She's a neo-liberal posing as a progressive."

They also point out how both MSNBC and CNN ran the ENTIRE Trump "news conference", ignoring Clinton. Ratings ratings ratings.

http://www.democracynow.org/2016/3/9/bernie_or_hillary_cornel_west_dolores

For anyone who still wonders at why people are supporting Trump (or Sanders, on the other side of the fence), here are a few vignettes from Instapundit:

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/228692

BECAUSE WORKING-CLASS AMERICANS HAVE BEEN SCREWED:
Ron Fournier: Why Michigan Is Hungry For Change.

Drive farther north on I-75, past Flint and Saginaw and into the scenic woods of northern Michigan, and you’ll find people who remember when the area was thriving. For generations, blue-collar workers poured out of city factories on Friday afternoons and headed to their cottages, which, along with defined pensions and new cars they helped build, were emblems of the 20th-century American middle class.

That era is gone—and along with it, for many Michigan residents, went the family cottages. What’s left is a core of hard-bitten residents who couldn’t be more disconnected from the political system.

In December 2014, I stopped by northern Michigan diner for breakfast. It smelled like bacon and wet socks. I sat at one table, scrolling through Twitter as news broke from Washington that the economy is on a supposed upswing. At four other tables sat five regular customers sharing a single conversation.

“I leave my Christmas lights on for two hours—tops,” said the waitress, flitting between regulars with a pot of off-brand coffee.

“An hour for me,” said the local cop. The farmer at the next table nodded his head, “That’s about all I can afford, too.”

In Washington and New York, people celebrate economic numbers. In Michigan, people number the minutes they can afford Christmas lights.

Omitted from Fournier’s reporting: “Under my plan. . . electricity rates will necessarily skyrocket.”

UPDATE: From the comments:

Let’s be very direct here. These are exactly the people that Obama was promising to help out 8 years ago, and their lives have gotten worse, not better. This necessarily has to mean some combination of the following three premises are true:

1. Obama was disingenuous in his pledges to help the working class
2. Obama is ineffective/incompetent at accomplishing his promises
3. Obama’s policies themselves are the wrong policies to help the working class
A pretty unflattering picture even before we “embrace the healing power of ‘and.’”

and

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/228624/

ALLUM BOKHARI: Mark Zuckerberg And The New Progressive Plutocrats.

Silicon Valley inspires utopian thinking. After revolutionising everything from the media to communications to taxi services, progressive elites in the Bay Area are now eyeing up government and politics, wondering how they can “disrupt” both. Will American politics survive their delusions of grandeur?

The latest billionaire buffoon is Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook. Having noticed that Jack Dorsey is out-doing him in the realm of leftist political whackery, the social media kingpin has begun to wear his progressivism on his sleeves. Facebook’s users — far more numerous than Twitter’s — are sure to suffer.

Recently, we reported that Zuckerberg reprimanded a number of Facebook employees who crossed out “Black Lives Matter” slogans and replaced them with “All Lives Matter” on the company walls. You’d think that a liberal like Zuckerberg would appreciate a message of discrimination being replaced with a message of inclusiveness, but I suppose that sort of thinking went out of fashion with Martin Luther King, Jr.

Given that Zuckerberg had to send out the reprimand to the entire company, this suggests that the slogan-writers have yet to be identified. Naturally, I hope they continue their efforts, but I can’t help being a little curious about who they are. Given the number of black Americans quietly fuming about the radical Black Lives Matter activists who try and speak on their behalf, I wouldn’t be surprised if they themselves were black.

You know, now that I think about it, wasn’t that Martin Luther King, Jr. fellow with all his inclusive rhetoric also black? Then again, as the University of California recently reminded us, he really is out of fashion in progressive circles.

The truth is, most of us prefer messages of unity over messages of division. That includes the 1 billion-plus people who use Zuckerberg’s platform, and who Zuckerberg appears strangely contemptuous of. Messages of unity bring people to the table to discuss solutions, whereas messages of division cause pointless standoffs.

Zuckerberg’s out-of-touch attempt to stamp his own, elitist politics on his employees is typical of Silicon Valley elites, whose hyper-progressive values are even more distant to those of ordinary Americans than the Washington, D.C. set.

True. As Joel Kotkin says, they’re the New Oligarchs. But wait, there’s more:

But tyrannizing his employees isn’t the worst thing Zuckerberg’s done.

That would be his Orwellian pandering to the German government, whose disastrous immigration policies he recently praised as “inspiring.” Under Zuckerberg’s leadership, Facebook has become Germany’s lapdog, acting as the terrifying new Stasi of Angela Merkel, who is desperate to contain her citizens’ anger at her failed immigration policies. Facebook has promised to work with her government to monitor “anti-migrant hate speech” on the platform, which is another way of telling ordinary Germans that, once again, someone will be looking over your shoulder if your conversation gets too politically inconvenient.

Here’s what’s more troubling: Zuckerberg isn’t just doing this to appease an overbearing government: he wants to do it.

They see ordinary people as cattle to be managed, at best. As Brendan O’Neill said:

From Obama’s writing-off of the inhabitants of industrial downs as people who ‘cling to guns and religion’ to blogging queen Arianna Huffington’s claim that ‘millions of voters’ vote with their ‘lizard, more emotional right brain’ rather than with their ‘logical left brain’, the contempt heaped on ordinary American voters in recent years has been relentless.

America’s new elites, fancying themselves superior to the rural, the old, the religiously inclined and the rest, have increasingly turned politics into something that is done to people, for their own good, rather than by people according to their moral outlook. And then they wonder why people go looking for something else, something less sneering. . . .

In both Middle America and Middle England, among both rednecks and chavs, voters who have had more than they can stomach of being patronised, nudged, nagged and basically treated as diseased bodies to be corrected rather than lively minds to be engaged are now putting their hope into a different kind of politics. And the entitled Third Way brigade, schooled to rule, believing themselves possessed of a technocratic expertise that trumps the little people’s vulgar political convictions, are not happy. Not one bit.

That’s why we’re seeing a populist wave on both sides of the Atlantic.

After a few years of sneering Liberals in Ottawa, I think it is safe to say that we might be joining the parade here in Canada as well.

Thucydides said:
For anyone who still wonders at why people are supporting Trump (or Sanders, on the other side of the fence), here are a few vignettes from Instapundit:

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/228692

and

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/228624/

After a few years of sneering Liberals in Ottawa, I think it is safe to say that we might be joining the parade here in Canada as well.

So do you agree that working people have been screwed. Which policies, to your understanding have led to all of the job losses, greater income inequality and rising poverty in the US? Which specific policies?  Do you believe this is a problem that is exclusive to Democrats?

There's a lot of rhetoric here, but not a lot of content. Where do the Koch brothers and those like them fall into this equation? Are they immune to this criticism because they're Republican and they pay lip service to conservative ideas? What about Trump himself? He's an elite if there was ever one.

Pieces like this are specifically designed to conceal the fact that Republicans and the Right have been pushing for deregulation, less social spending and a loosening of labour laws for decades. It's pretty rich to turn around paint the issue as one that belongs to progressives. I wouldn't even characterize Clinton or Obama as progressive in fact. They are neo-liberals. So are the Republicans and so is Trump. They worship at the alter of capital.

A lot of people support trump and sanders because they are self financed, don't have huge donors and don't have any superpacs.

Seeing as canada has strict financing laws for political parties and the parties have good rules in place, I don't think canada has that concern about money in politics.

We're not without fault, look at the millions dumped into campaigns by unions and special interest groups. If we were to remove that, then we could thumb our noses at the US system of financing.

There are faults for sure, but even 3rd parties has spending limits.

Nothing close to american superpacs.

So while there might be concern, I don't see the same anger over it happening in Canada.

Altair said:
....I don't see the same anger over it happening in Canada.
Perhaps for the same reason as Trudeau's often-cited (well, here anyway) poll numbers are high -- Canadians just don't care about politics.  :dunno:

Wow. This is what the SJW's call "intersectional conflict" where you discover you really can't hold two opposed ideas in your head at the same time:

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/228699

CAITLYN’S COURAGE: “Backlash over Caitlyn Jenner’s Cruz Support Proves Leftists are the Real Bigots.”

Caitlyn Jenner’s support of GOP presidential candidate Ted Cruz is sending the LGBT activist community into conniptions. True to form, radical liberals prove they’re the truly bigoted ones by calling the transgender reality star a “lunatic” for praising the most conservative candidate in the race.

In an interview with The Advocate, Jenner boldly said, “I like Ted Cruz. I think he’s very conservative and a great constitutionalist and a very articulate man. I haven’t endorsed him or anything like that. But I also think, he’s an evangelical Christian, and probably one of the worst ones when it comes to trans issues.”

If Jenner thinks Cruz is weak on trans issues, then why support him? With a commitment to constitutional principles that should make establishment politicians bury their heads in shame, Jenner explains that while Democrats are “better when it comes to these types of social issues,” if we don’t have liberty, we don’t have anything. This position truly goes against the liberal grain as identity politics takes a backseat to freedom.

“Number 1, if we don’t have a country, we don’t have trans issues,” Jenner said. “We need jobs. We need a vibrant economy. I want every trans person to have a job. With $19 trillion in debt and it keeps going up, we’re spending money we don’t have. Eventually, it’s going to end. And I don’t want to see that. Socialism did not build this country. Capitalism did. Free enterprise. The people built it. And they need to be given the opportunity to build it back up.” . . .

Jenner’s comments stunned LGBT activists. . . .

Well, I can see how they’d be stunned. I mean, the gall of Jenner, to elevate the needs of the country or the Constitution over those of the LGBT community! Doesn’t he know that once one is part of that community, there can be no deviation from the script?

RELATED: Gay activist pens a piece in the Daily Beast, “Dear Caitlyn Jenner, Please Reconsider Your Support of Ted Cruz.”

Journeyman said:
Perhaps for the same reason as Trudeau's often-cited (well, here anyway) poll numbers are high -- Canadians just don't care about politics.  :dunno:
Those poll number are simply to provide some balance.

And to remind people that despite the consistent bashing he gets on here, the greater Canadian electorate seems satisfied with what trudeau is doing.

Back