• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Economy

Northalbertan said:
There is no way out of the American crisis that does not include a tax increase.  You have to increase revenues in order to pay the debt the Americans have accumulated.  Get rid of the exemptions and add a small across the board personal income tax increase would help them greatly. All but impossible to get the politicos to chew on that with an election drawing down upon them. 

Decreasing the size of government would have to be a part of the process as well.  As you say program cuts are painful but necessary as well.  They are going to have to bite that bullet sooner or later.  Decreasing the size of government wouldn't hurt us any either. 

But I would expect both governments to feel a lot of pressure from some of the more powerful public sector unions making the choice that much more difficult.  I don't imagine we'll see much in the way of new taxes or program cuts down south, outside of what was agreed to recently, 'till after the next presidential election.

NorthAlbertan

Well said, in all - the delusion that there is a way forward without tax increases in some form is a problem that the GOP in particular needs to grapple with.  Probably the best way forward, I'd submit, is some form of consumption tax - a national sales tax.  It seems to have worked well for us in tandem with targeted cuts to program spending.  It's also the fairest form of tax because its incidence on lower income people will be lower if things like groceries, children's clothing, and so on are exempted, as we do here.

The public sector union comment is interesting though - I don't think they're anywhere near as powerful as CUPE/PSAC are here - although there seems to be concerted efforts to expand unionization in the US, from what I've seen.

The illusion that debt levels were critical was a manufactured emergency. It was entirely arbitrary. Obviously we are all carrying too much debt and we should start paying it off.  Driving the economy over a cliff was not necessary. A combination of cuts linked to GDP growth, tax hikes and closing loop holes would have worked fine.
Public Debt Per Person.
Germany $27,612
UK $28,854
France $32,718
Us $32,931
Greece $34,842
Ireland $37,959
Norway $37,895
Italy $37,175
Canadian $38,194
Iceland $42,845
Japan $86,072

Northalbertan said:
The other mechanism is called transfer payments which Quebec wisely uses for daycare instead of infrastructure.  ::)

What could be more important than taking care of other people's children.  I mean, they have them, you pay for their
upbringing.  Hasn't that been the practice throughout all of human history?

Redeye said:
The public sector union comment is interesting though - I don't think they're anywhere near as powerful as CUPE/PSAC are here - although there seems to be concerted efforts to expand unionization in the US, from what I've seen.

The unions are not as powerful as those up here but they are more vocal, I'd like to say militant but they aren't quite in that category.  As we've seen up here a well orchestrated advertising campaign can have an effect on the outcome of elections.  I would think a lot of union money would go towards opposing anyone who mentions public service cuts during an election.  Be interesting to see what the Tea Partiers have to say as the election progresses.

Nemo888 said:
The illusion that debt levels were critical was a manufactured emergency. It was entirely arbitrary. Obviously we are all carrying too much debt and we should start paying it off.  Driving the economy over a cliff was not necessary. A combination of cuts linked to GDP growth, tax hikes and closing loop holes would have worked fine.

Public Debt Per Person.
Germany $27,612
UK $28,854
France $32,718
Us $32,931
Greece $34,842
Ireland $37,959
Norway $37,895
Italy $37,175
Canadian $38,194
Iceland $42,845
Japan $86,072

These stats shed very little light on the problem, unless our intent is to ask each and every person in each OECD country to personally pay down their government's debt.  Based on population as they are, it would suggest that a family of 12 with a debt of 100k is way better off than a family of 4 with a debt of 100K, which is, of course, nonsense. 

A more pertinent statistic is central government debt as a % of GDP, given that ability to pay of debt is related to the amount of money one makes...  Those stats (2010 numbers) look a little different:

Germany $27,612    44.4%
UK $28,854              85.5%
France $32,718        67.4%
Us $32,931                61.3%
Greece $34,842        147.8%
Ireland $37,959        60.7%
Norway $37,895        26.1%
Italy $37,175            109.0%
Canadian $38,194      36.1%
Iceland $42,845        81.3%
Japan $86,072          183.5%

And the "ranking" implied in your post now looks like this:

Norway
Canada
Germany
Ireland
US
France
Iceland
UK
Italy
Greece
Japan

These figures do not reflect sub-central debts (like. say, Quebec, or even California...)

American politicians can learn from our experience:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/investment-ideas/streetwise/sp-upgrades-saskatchewan-on-low-debt-burden/article2033171/

May 24, 2011
S&P upgrades Saskatchewan on low debt burden
By TIM KILADZE
From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
Province's debt rating raised to triple-A to join Alberta and British Columbia

Saskatchewan suddenly has a new shine.

The province joined an elite club of provinces on Tuesday when Standard & Poor's upgraded its debt rating to triple-A. The only provinces to share the triple-A honour are western neighbours Alberta and British Columbia.

The new rating caps off a dramatic turnaround for a province that was a fiscal mess in the 1980s, and in more recent years saw skilled workers leaving in droves for oil-rich Alberta. But no longer. Saskatchewan is now home to everything from potash to grain and oil, and the money from these resources has made balancing the provincial budget far easier.

Rather than quickly spending its newly-earned wealth, the provincial government has put its tax revenue toward paying the bills. S&P gave special credit to Saskatchewan for its "low-and-declining debt burden." As of March 31, the province's fiscal year-end, Saskatchewan's debt totalled $4.6-billion, representing 38 per cent of this year's projected operating revenues and only 8 per cent of its gross domestic product. Canada's federal debt-to-GDP ratio sits at around 35 per cent.

S&P also cited a strengthening provincial economy, fuelled by global demand for commodities and strong balance sheet liquidity, stemming from ample cash and short-term investments on hand. In other words, the province has a cash buffer in case an economic downturn hits.

And just like the other provinces, S&P is encouraged that Saskatchewan isn't left to fend for itself. The federal government provides "moderate support" in the form of Canada Health Transfers and Canada Social Transfer payments

The province's real GDP grew by 1.7 per cent last year after slumping 3.9 per cent in 2009, and every industry except for agriculture saw gains. Of those, mining and oil and gas experienced the biggest jump, demonstrating just how much the province has changed. Potash Corp of Saskatchewan Inc. is now a globally-recognized name, and the province can boast about its own oil reserves, stealing some of the national attention away from Alberta. Venerable companies such as Crescent Point Energy and PetroBakken Energy have set up shop.

Saskatchewan's unemployment rate is also extremely low by national standards, sitting at 5.2 per cent, the best of any province. And the data suggests that workers are returning to Saskatchewan. The province's population rose 2 per cent in 2010, the highest annual increase in more than two decades.

The future is promising. S&P added a 'stable' outlook to its rating, which "reflects our expectation that the province's operating and after-capital results will continue to improve with its strengthening economy and operating revenue growth and that liquidity will remain strong."

Saskatchewan's rating was upgraded from double-A-plus. Alberta and British Columbia both have triple-A ratings, followed by Manitoba with double-A and Ontario and New Brunswick at double-A-minus.

Of course the United States has a great deal of commodity wealth as well; techniques like Frakking are unleashing new oil and gas deposits (and revitalizing old ones), but the current administration has been preventing drilling for political reasons (to encourage "green" industries), and their business tax rate is in fact the highest in the OECD, which discourages investment and growth. Political initiatives like Obamacare caused major employers to make negative adjustments to their earning statements and forecasts as they had to account for new liabilities, also a major economic drag.

The question ultimatly comes down to what sort of economic climate and culture the State is promoting; Saskatchewan was governed for decades by the NDP and had much diminised economic performance compared to Alberta, despite having a similar basket of resources. The Saskatchewan Party instituted a series of tax cuts and regulatory reform, with the results noted above.

Nemo888 said:
Alberta would hate it but that big pile of black gold up there could be taxed a little more in the short term to keep us from going down the toilet if things get worse.

Just what we need, another excuse for the price at the pumps to go up. Oil is under $90 US a barrel and I'm still paying 124.9 cents a litre in Kingston.

We are at $1.08/L out here.  I'm right on the border of AB/SK.  I am fortunate however in that I get to bill the oil companies for my fuel.  ;D.  Either mileage or cost plus 30%.  Payback is a B@#ch.  :cheers:

Gas in West Kelowna S129.9 was $133.9. Price went up .10 cents a liter , or .45 cents a imperal gallon just before the long weekend. Gas in Omak Washington, one hour away, is $3.79 a US gallon (3.78 liters). It did not go up.

Try GasBuddy, a good site.  http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Nemo888 said:
Public Debt Per Person.
Germany $27,612
UK $28,854
France $32,718
Us $32,931
Greece $34,842
Ireland $37,959
Norway $37,895
Italy $37,175
Canadian $38,194
Iceland $42,845
Japan $86,072

Do you have a source for the numbers?  On February 12, 2010 the US debt ceiling was raised to $14.294 trillion and was recently raised again because they hit it. The population is 311,943,765 (1).  That works out to $45,822 for every man, woman and child. This is just the Federal debt.

The Canadian figure is estimated at $564 billion and $16,470 (2) in Canadian dollars.

(1) U.S. POPClock Projection
(2) Taxpayer.com DebtClock.ca

DBA said:
Do you have a source for the numbers?  On February 12, 2010 the US debt ceiling was raised to $14.294 trillion and was recently raised again because they hit it. The population is 311,943,765 (1).  That works out to $45,822 for every man, woman and child. This is just the Federal debt.

(1) U.S. POPClock Projection

Near as I can tell he used the OECD Data from 2010

Almost like watching a Monty Python skit. Progressives in CA were clearly warned of the result, but beleiving static analysis and disbelieving that capital and labour are mobile, or that people will change their behaviours, they press on with the Amazon tax, with predictable results.

What makes this even stupider, the Amazon tax has been tried in several other States already, as well as "millionaire taxes", with the predictable result that Amazon severed its affiliate programs in those states and "millionaires" vanished the next tax season. Insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result.....

http://biggovernment.com/capitolconfidential/2011/08/15/californias-amazon-tax-already-proving-a-bust/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BigGovernment+%28Big+Government%29

California’s ‘Amazon Tax’ Already Proving a Bustby Capitol Confidential

California recently instituted as part of its budget solution an “Amazon Tax” aimed at forcing out-of-state, online retailers with no physical presence in the Golden State to collect and remit sales tax in respect of goods sold to Californians where the retailer in question advertises, or maintains an “affiliate” referral relationship, with websites based within state lines.

Prior to passage of the bill obligating collection and remittance in such circumstances, prominent online retailers including Amazon.com and Overstock.com had threatened to terminate relationships with affiliates, if the legislation became law.  Now that it has, and affiliate relationships are being severed, something critics of the legislation say was entirely foreseeable is occurring: Online businesses and entrepreneurs are leaving the state, thus risking an actual reduction, as opposed to marginal increase, in California’s tax revenue.

Last month, news broke of one California-based online entrepreneur who had decided to ditch California and move to Nevada in the aftermath of Gov. Jerry Brown signing the law.  ”I always figured that in California, home to Silicon Valley and a million tech startups, they’d never pass a law like this,” said Nick Loper, who formerly operated ShoesRUs and has now opened a new venture, ShoeSniper.

Per the piece in which Loper is quoted, more than 70 affiliates had at that stage already left California, according to online businesses.

Then, last Thursday, another online entrepreneur, Erica Douglass, posted a mock “It’s Over” letter to California on her blog. Douglass, who sold an internet company she had built for $1.1 million in 2007 when she was just 26, cited multiple reasons for moving to Austin.  Among them were unnecessary paperwork requirements mandated by the state, and high taxes as well as business fees.  However, the straw that broke the camel’s back, was according to Portfolio, Brown signing the Amazon Tax into law.

Backers of the legislation seemed to believe that affiliates would be happy to work with other retailers who also operate affiliate programs, or that online retailers targeted by the law would not end affiliate relationships and the threat was idle.

In neither case do those assumptions now seem correct.

The comments section has replies from people who fled other "Amazon tax" states, so you get a broader sample than just refugees from CA.

A long post on job creation in Texas, using primary statistics. There should be no more debate about what economic model "works". Follow the link to see the graphs:

http://www.politicalmathblog.com/?p=1590

Rick Perry And Texas Job Numbers

Full disclosure: I don't like Rick Perry for our next president. I have my reasons that aren't worth going into here. However, when I was watching the GOP debate and pro-Perry people started bringing up Rick Perry's job numbers as a cudgel against other candidates, I looked into the BLS data on Texas jobs. Having familiarized myself with the data, I started noticing claims on the Texas jobs data that started popping up that directly contradicted what I was seeing in the data. So I wanted to clear up a couple of these common misconceptions.

Note: If you are going to comment and you want to introduce some new objection to the Texas job numbers, you MUST provide original data. I spent about 4 hours digging through raw data to write this post. I don't want you to point to some pundit or blog post and take it on their authority, because I've already researched several idiot pundits who are talking directly out of their asses when it comes to the data. I want you to point to the raw data that I can examine for myself. This means links. I refuse to waste any more of my time on speculative bullshit or "Well, I'll wager that the Texas jobs don't really count because..." If you're willing to wager, take that money and put it towards finding the actual data. In short, put up or shut up.

I'm not cranky, I swear.

Anyway, let's deal with the complaints in no particular order:

"Texas has an unemployment rate of 8.2%. That's hardly exceptional."See... that's what I thought when I started looking at the data. I knew that Utah had a lower unemployment rate than Texas and I kept hearing that Texas was go great at jobs, blah, blah, blah, so I looked up the unemployment rate.

Nothing special.

So I was going to drive my point home that Texas was nothing special by looking at their raw employment numbers and reporting on those. That's when I saw this:

This may not look like anything special, but I've been looking closely at employment data for a couple years now and I've become very accustomed to seeing data that looks like this.

In a "normal" employment data set, we can easily look at it and say "Yep, that's where the recession happened. Sucks to be us." But not with Texas. With Texas, we say "Damn. Looks like they've recovered already."

(To get to this data, go to this link http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/dsrv?la then select the state or states you want, the select "Statewide", then select the states again, then select the metrics you want to see.)

But if Texas has so many jobs, why do they have such a high unemployment rate? Let's take a closer look at that data.

As a percentage of the number of pre-recession jobs, here is a chart of the growth of a selection of states. (For clarity, in this chart I selected a number of the largest states and tried to focus on states that have relatively good economic reputations. I did not chart all 50 states b/c it would have taken me too long.)

We can see that Texas has grown the fastest, having increased jobs by 2.2% since the recession started. I want to take a moment and point out that second place is held by North Dakota. I added North Dakota to my list of states  to show something very important. North Dakota currently has the lowest unemployment rate of any state at 3.2%. And yet Texas is adding jobs at a faster rate than North Dakota. How can this be?

The reason is that people are flocking to Texas in massive numbers. Starting at the beginning of the recession (December 2007), let's look at how this set of states have grown in their labor force.

As you can see, Texas isn't just the fastest growing... it's growing over twice as fast as the second fastest state and three times as fast as the third. Given that Texas is (to borrow a technical term) f***ing huge, this growth is incredible.

People are flocking to Texas in massive numbers. This is speculative, but it *seems* that people are moving to Texas looking for jobs rather than moving to Texas for a job they already have lined up. This would explain why Texas is adding jobs faster than any other state but still has a relatively high unemployment rate.

"Sure, Texas has lots of jobs, but they're mostly low-paying/minimum wage jobs"Let's look at the data. Here's a link: Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

Texas median hourly wage is $15.14...  almost exactly in the middle of the pack (28th out of 51 regions). Given that they've seen exceptional job growth (and these other states have not) this does not seem exceptionally low.

But the implication here is that the new jobs in Texas, the jobs that Texas seems to stand alone in creating at such a remarkable pace, are low paying jobs and don't really count.

If this were true, all these new low-paying jobs should be dragging down the wages data, right? But if we look at the wages data since the beginning of the recession (click to enlarge, states are listed alphabetically)

And it turns out that the opposite is true. Since the recession started hourly wages in Texas have increased at a 6th fastest pace in the nation.

As a side note, the only blue state that has faster growing wages is Hawaii. Just thought I'd get that jab in since so many people have been making snarky "Yeah, I could get a job in Texas is I wanted to flip burgers!" comments at me on Twitter.

"Texas is oil country and the recent energy boom is responsible for the incredible jobs increase."In identifying "energy jobs" I cast as wide a net as possible. If you want to replicate my findings, go to this link: http://www.bls.gov/sae/data.htm, click on "One-Screen Data Search", then select "Texas", then select "Statewide", then in Supersectors select "Mining and Logging", "Non-Durable Goods" and "Transportation and Utilities" and then in Industries select "Mining and Logging", "Natural Gas Distribution", "Electric Power Generation" and "Petroleum and Coal Products Manufacturing".

Tedious, I know, but transparency is important and this is how you get the data.

When we finally get the data, we discover that energy isn't really the biggest part of the Texas economy. Increases in jobs in the energy sector (or closely related to it) account for about 25% of the job increases in the last year. Since the energy sector only makes up 3% of all employment, there is some truth to this claim.

However, take the energy sector completely out of the equation and Texas is still growing faster than any other state. This indicates to us that the energy sector is not a single sector saving Texas from the same economic fate as the rest of the states. It's not hurting, but Texas would still be growing like a weed without it.

"Texas has 100,000 unsustainable public sector jobs that inflate the growth numbers."I'm not sure where this one comes from, but the numbers are these (and can be found by selecting government employment from the data wizard at this link http://www.bls.gov/sae/data.htm):

Counting from the beginning of the recession (December 2007) the Texas public sector has grown 3.8%, or a little under 70,000 employees. This is faster than normal employment, but it's not off the charts.

Given that the Texas economy has grown so much and private sector jobs have grown so much, that doesn't strike me as an unsustainable growth in the public sector.

But, just in case you're really worried about it, you can lay your fears to rest because in the last year the Texas public sector has shrunk by 26,000 jobs. In the last 12 months, Texas lost 31,300 federal employees, trimmed 3,800 state jobs, and increased local government jobs by 8,400 jobs.

(To be fair, this was partially driven by the role Texas employees played in the census, which inflated federal job numbers this time last year. Since the census numbers stabilized, federal employment has been at about break-even.)

As you can see, we're nowhere near the "100,000 unsustainable jobs" number.

My Personal Favorite Chart
I'll leave you with my personal favorite chart. I mentioned at the beginning that Texas is seeing high unemployment in a large part because they're growing so damn fast. The problem with this from a charts and graphs perspective is that it leaves worse states off the hook, making them look better than they actually are. Looking at unemployment alone, we would conclude that Wisconsin has a better economy than Texas. But Wisconsin is still 120K short of it's pre-recession numbers. The only reason they look better than Texas is because 32,000 people fled the state.

During that time, 739,000 people fled into Texas. Anyone who takes that data and pretends that this is somehow bad news for Texas is simply not being honest. At the worst, I'd call it a good problem to have.

So, to give something of a better feeling for the economic situation across states, this chart takes the population of the states I selected above and judges the current job situation against the population as it stood at the beginning of the recession.

Using that metric, Texas would have a very low unemployment rate of 2.3%. But the fact that unemployment in the United States is fluid means that the unemployed flock to a place where there are jobs, which inflates its unemployment rate (at least in the short term). It's not a bad thing for Texas... it just looks bad when dealing with the isolated "unemployment %" statistic.

UPDATE: @francisgagnon on Twitter felt that this chart was dishonest because it charts Texas as having 2.3% unemployment and (in his words so I don't get him wrong): "It assumes immigrants create no jobs. But more people = more consumers = more jobs."

He is absolutely right about this. I tried to be clear above that this chart doesn't account for the fluid nature of an economy with immigration and departures of hundreds of thousands of people, but I don't want to leave anyone with the wrong impression. So here it is: This chart doesn't account for the fluid nature of an economy with immigrations and departures of hundreds of thousands of people. The point of this chart is not to say "Texas should have 2.3% unemployment if only things were fair." Instead, it is an attempt to chart job growth in such a way that controls for people leaving one job market to enter another. To say "Wisconsin has a better job market than Texas because its unemployment rate is 0.6% lower" is a wholly untrue statement even though it cites accurate numbers. What this chart is meant to do is not posit a counter-factual, but to give a visual representation of the employment reality that is obscured by the way we calculate unemployment numbers.

END UPDATE

And... that's it.

You may have noticed that I don't mention Rick Perry very much here. That is because Rick Perry is, in my opinion, ancillary to this entire discussion. He was governor while these these numbers happened, so good for him. Maybe that means these jobs they are his "fault". Maybe the job situation is the result of his policies. Or maybe Texas is simply the least bad option in a search for a favorable economic climate.

That is not an argument I'm having at this exact moment. My point is to show that most of the "excuses" you will hear about Texas' job statistics are based in nothing more than a hope that Rick Perry had nothing to do with them and not on a sound understanding of the data.

My advice to anti-Perry advocates is this: Give up talking about Texas jobs. Texas is an incredible outlier among the states when it comes to jobs. Not only are they creating them, they're creating ones with higher wages.

One can argue that Perry had very little to do with the job situation in Texas, but such a person should be probably prepare themselves for the consequences of that line of reasoning. If Rick Perry had nothing to do with creating jobs in Texas, than why does Obama have something to do with creating jobs anywhere? And why would someone advocate any sort of "job creating" policies if policies don't seem to matter when it comes to the decade long governor of Texas? In short, it seems to me that this line of reasoning, in addition to sounding desperate and partisan, hogties its adherents into a position where they are simultaneously saying that government doesn't create jobs while arguing for a set of policies where government will create jobs.

Or, to an uncharitable eye, it seem they are saying "Policies create jobs when they are policies I like. They don't create jobs when they are policies I dislike."

People will continue to argue about the data. But hopefully this will be helpful in sorting out reality from wishful and desperate thinking. I mentioned on Twitter that the Texas jobs situation was nothing short of miraculous. This is why I said that and why I'm standing by that statement.

U.S. lost billions to waste and fraud in war spending, panel says

link here http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/americas/us-lost-billions-to-waste-and-fraud-in-war-spending-panel-says/article2148916/

Truman made his repution in WWII overeeing a commitee that tried to rein in war profiteering

Example "the Martin Murderer"  The  manufacturer knew the thing was dangerous but opted to do nothing since they had the contract already.  Andftold him that to his face.

He simply informed them that if they didn't fix the piece of sh*t they woule lose the contract

He, Eisenhower and Kennedy must be spinning in their graves.

Martin as in Lockheed Martin Proud Producer of the POS F-35

I can never tell what end is up in your posts Kalatzi.

Nor could I find any reference to Martin telling anyone that their product was dangerous and they didnt care because they had the contract.

I did however find lots of articles on the B-26 Marauder that give extensive history on the upgrades, shortfall, and troubles suffered by the airframe and how Martin addressed them as well as the training changes that were made.

Of course maybe I missed the intention of your post because I didnt really understand it.

*edit I did find a line in a wikipedia article where Martin responded to the senate hearing about the aircrafts troubles that the wings were too short. But he also indicated that the plans were too far along. You also left out the part where it was still superior to other contemporary aircraft*

Kalatzi said:
U.S. lost billions to waste and fraud in war spending, panel says

link here http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/americas/us-lost-billions-to-waste-and-fraud-in-war-spending-panel-says/article2148916/

I don't really see how you can avoid loss rates rising in conjunction with the rate a which decisions are made.  Fast decisions implicitly reduce the time available to gather and analyse data.  Wars demand fast decisions.  Waste will happen.

For the level of uncertainty I hark back to this Harvard Business School article (under lock and key unfortunately) - US Army and US Marine Corps officers are expected to act when their surety level is only 70%,  US Navy and Air Force officers are expected to act only in response to clearly defined procedures and processes. 

As an aside: Navy and Air Force apparently do well in Big Business.  Army and Marines do well as entrepreneurs in small companies.

Very interesting and it makes perfect sense.  The complexity of the operations and quick decision making is a perfect enviroment for mistakes. 

Wasting dozens of millions more trying to figure out what happened doesn't seem productive to me.  I believe the integrity of the Comds responsible for spending the money should be enough to justify it.

Another way to look at it in favour of the military would be to express the billions wasted in a per capita ratio for the entire time period that the money was wasted. Consider total man hours, fighting vehicles (air, sea and ground), the logistical vehicles to support and high end munitions all combined, and those billions of dollars would likely shrink to a very small number.

P.S. What was the amount of the wall street bailout?  How much has been given in bonuses to high end brokers since then?  They have likely doubled the military's wastage in just a couple of days of luxurious acts, with much less persons involved.

As a related thought:

Hundreds of thousands of rounds are thrown down range.  Most of them miss.  They are mistakes.  They are wasted.

Unfortunately you can EDIT: cannot achieve the aim without all those "wasted" rounds.

Dollars, bullets, beans or bandages...... all the same thing.

The accountants can pick up the pieces after the fact.

Want to talk about wast and fraud? Here is an example that set the US taxpayer back half a billion dollars. For comparison, a half billion invested in the private sector is the resources needed to create up to 10,000 full time jobs:

http://pajamasmedia.com/tatler/2011/08/31/breaking-solyndra-solar-plant-closes-535-million-vanishes-obama-curse-strikes-again/?print=1

Breaking: Solyndra solar plant closes; $535 million vanishes; Obama curse strikes again; UPDATE: Bankrupt

Posted By Zombie On August 31, 2011 @ 9:09 am In Politics | 95 Comments

This ought to be the top story on every news outlet nationwide, and ought to be the death knell for the “Stimulus” concept and for the “green jobs” fallacy. But I get the feeling the MSM will bury it.

When workers showed up at the Solyndra solar-panel factory in Fremont, California, this morning — they were ordered to leave by guards, and then given instructions on how to pick up their final checks. In other words, the dream is over:

Solyndra Shutting Its Doors

Solyndra, a major manufacturer of solar technology in Fremont, has shut its doors, according to employees at the campus.

“I was told by a security guard to get my [stuff] and leave,” one employee said. The company employs a little more than 1,000 employees worldwide, according to its website.

Shortly after it opened a massive $700 million facility, it canceled plans for a public stock offering earlier this year and warned it would be in significant trouble if federal loan guarantees did not go through.

The company has said it will make a statement at 9am California time, though it’s not clear what that statement will be. An NBC Bay Area photographer on the scene reports security guards are not letting visitors on campus. He says “people are standing around in disbelief.” The employees have been given yellow envelopes with instructions on how to get their last checks.

Solyndra was touted by the Obama administration as a prime example of how green technology could deliver jobs. The President visited the facility in May of last year and said “it is just a testament to American ingenuity and dynamism and the fact that we continue to have the best universities in the world, the best technology in the world, and most importantly the best workers in the world. And you guys all represent that. ”

The federal government offered $535 million in low cost loan guarantees from the Department of Energy.

Here’s a brief clip of Obama shaking hands at the Solyndra plant just a year ago, after giving a speech touting green jobs and the $535 million giveaway:

If you want to watch his incredibly long and self-indulgent speech, click here. Starting at 4:33, here’s what Obama had to say about Solyndra’s rosy outlook:

It’s here, that companies like Solyndra are leading the way toward a brighter, more prosperous future.

Remember, he said this just one year ago.

Basically, the federal government just invested $535 million of our taxpayer funds in a loser company that went belly up in only one year. And that whole investment — poof! Gone.

As an investor, Obama is either cursed, or perhaps merely blinded by ideology.

UPDATE I:

Maybe this is a clue as to why Obama gave $535 million to Solyndra in the first place — it was a union stronghold:

IBEW members at Solyndra with President Obama

UPDATE II:

Solyndra has just announced its bankruptcy. You can download the press release (in. “.doc” format) here:

Solyndra Bankruptcy Announcement

Solyndra LLC, the American manufacturer of innovative cylindrical solar systems for commercial rooftops today announced that global economic and solar industry market conditions have forced the Company to suspend its manufacturing operations. Solyndra intends to file a petition for relief under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code while it evaluates options, including a sale of the business and licensing of its advanced CIGS technology and manufacturing expertise. As a result of the suspension of operations approximately 1,100 full-time and temporary employees are being laid off effective immediately.

Article printed from The PJ Tatler: http://pajamasmedia.com/tatler

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/tatler/2011/08/31/breaking-solyndra-solar-plant-closes-535-million-vanishes-obama-curse-strikes-again/

Back