• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Economy

What happens if we don't use spending cuts:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/04/large-tax-increases-are-not-a-semantic-question/237699/

Large Tax Increases Are Not A Semantic Question
By Megan McArdle

Apr 21 2011, 12:02 PM ET 138

Yesterday I argued that simply covering our medium-term fiscal problems with tax hikes was not going to be easy or relatively painless; we'd have to go back to the Clinton era tax rates, and then hike rates again by at least a third, possibly more.  Today Kevin Drum responds that this doesn't seem so bad:

Page 65 of this CBO document provides estimates for how much income tax various people pay. The median family gets dinged for 3% of its income. A one-third increase means their income taxes would go up by....1% of their income. That's not so much.

How about a family with twice the median income? That is, someone who's pretty well off. They pay 13% of their income. A one-third increase means their taxes would go by 4% of their income. Again, this is far from catastrophic, especially since we're talking about an increase phasing in over the course of many years.

Are these numbers the right ones? I don't know. It all depends on what happens to spending and on how we decide to allocate the burden of higher taxes. If payroll taxes go up, it might hit the middle class a little harder. If we choose to increase capital gains taxes or institute a financial transaction tax, it would hurt them less. Or maybe we'll choose a consumption tax or a carbon tax instead. Who knows? Still, it's likely that more than three-quarters of all taxpayers would end up paying no more than an additional 5% of their income in taxes. That's not painless, and no one will enjoy it. But over the course of a decade or two it's just not a "huge change."

Of course it depends on how we implement such a hike.  But looking just at the federal income tax makes no sense.  In order to raise taxes to the 25% of GDP that Kevin wants, all taxes need to rise by at least a third, not just income taxes: excise taxes, corporate income taxes, payroll taxes.  And we're talking about rising from the Clinton level, not from the current effective tax rate level.  That's going to be a lot more than 5%.

Here's a chart showing effective tax rates on the various quintiles over the past thirty years, using data from the invaluable Tax Policy Center:

Taxes2.png

This data imputes all taxes (including corporate and excise taxes) to various income cohorts, which I think is sensible; ultimately, all taxes are borne by some person, and in the case of corporations, that person is mostly a shareholder.  If you take out corporate income taxes, the gap between the top two quintiles would narrow slightly, but it would not go away.  As you can see from the dotted red line, the share of taxes as a percentage of GDP does not correspond neatly with changes in the tax code, especially on the upside.

So our baseline would be returning effective tax rates on the top quintile to around 28%; effective tax rates on the middle quintile to 17%; and effective tax rates on the bottom quintile to 6%.  Then we raise each tax rate by a third to 37%, 23%, and 8%, respectively.  The current tax rates?  We don't know exactly (the data only go up to 2007), but a rough estimate is 25%, 14%, and 4%. 

In other words, for the poorest 20% of Americans (who make less than $20,000 a year, with an average income of $11,500), taxes go from about $660 to about $1320.  For the middle quintile (making an average of $50,000 a year), taxes go from around $7,000 to over $12,000.  For those in the top quintile, with an average income of $167,000, taxes jump from a $41,000 to $62,000. 

Turn it around and look at the effect on incomes: after tax incomes drop from $10,840 to $10,180, in the lowest quintile; from $43,000 to $38,500 in the middle quintile; and from$125,000 to $105,000.  And the higher you go, the stronger the effect is; for the top 1% (which starts at AGI of $400,000), you reduce their minimum income from a bottom of roughly $275,000 to perhaps $210,000, either through taxes, or through lower capital income as a result of higher corporate income taxes*. 

Can this be done?  Maybe.  Probably, at least on the lower tiers, who don't respond to tax rates the way the wealthy can.  But it won't be easy or moderate.  I'm sure there are a number of people in my readership where two spouses take home $125,000 between them.  How easily can you guys chop $20,000 out of your budget?  And though the percentages are lower, in practical effect it's even worse for the bottom: if you're making minimum wage, $660 is several weeks worth of paychecks.

Now, if you don't want to take more money from the lower quintiles, you have to take even more from the top quintiles.  But the effective tax rate on the top 1% is already almost 50% if we raise all taxes by the same amount.  Those people also pay other taxes: property taxes, state income taxes, sales taxes.  How much of their income do we think the state can claim?  How much do we think it should claim?

Kevin and I probably differ on that question, but I don't think that most Americans would peg the answer at 60% or more, which is easily what it could be in the high-tax states where high-earners tend to cluster.

Does this mean we shouldn't raise taxes?  Not at all; I was a pretty staunch advocate of letting the Bush tax cuts expire last year, and I certainly hope we'll do so in 2012, though I very much fear we won't.  But raising taxes by another third beyond that?  I think that's too stiff a bite.  Politically, reducing paychecks by that much would be extraordinarily painful, even if done slowly.  The size of the burden on the rich would probably slow investment and economic growth. And beyond that, I don't think it's just that someone should have to work longer for the government than they do for themselves. 

* This is a bit approximate because I'm using comprehensive household income for the five quintiles, and AGI, which is all I can find, for the top 1%.  The effect might be smaller--but it would still be very substantial.

In my opinion the President needs to offer America a radical programme which I call "Five-0" the 0 being zero. I recommend that President Obama say:

"I intend to have no, zero, growth in discretionary spending for five years - for the remainder of my first term and all of my second. I encourage the congress to make spending cuts, here and there, if they can agree on any, but my cabinet secretaries will submit budgets that are, at the bottom line, exactly the same as this year - if Homeland Security, for example, wants more border guards they will have to cut somewhere else; if the Pentagon wants new ships they will have to scrap enough older ones, or bombers or Marine battalions, to pay for them, dollar for dollar, years by year. I will veto any budget that comes back from the congress with even one red cent of additional spending in any budget envelope."

"I will keep taxes where they are - except that I will do away with the Bush tax cuts for those with net earnings of more than $1 Million per person - that should protect small and medium business owners."

"But your federal government will shrink - by, at least, the rate of inflation. The national debt will stop growing - unless we have to pay more in bond interest. We will get used to the idea of living within our means, at home and abroad, and then we will find it easier to actually shrink spending and, eventually, balance our budgets.

We are in a hole; we need to stop digging - now, and we must not start digging again next month or next year or even for the next decade."

Governor Palin paid attention in economics 101 (after all, even I could figure out that QE was going to be a bust; I'm just not famous!), now the Administration gets owned yet again (as Glen Reynolds [Instapundit] would say; "Unexpectedly!"):

http://www.nysun.com/editorials/sarah-palin-for-the-fed/87317/

Sarah Palin for the Fed?
Editorial of The New York Sun | April 24, 2011

The big question as Chairman Bernanke gets set for his first quarterly press conference is how Sarah Palin was able to figure out sooner than everyone else that the Federal Reserve’s campaign of quantitative easing wouldn’t work. Disappointment in the Fed’s policies is being reported this morning at the top of page one of the New York Times. It reports that “most Americans are not feeling the difference” from the Fed’s “experimental effort to spur a recovery by purchasing vast quantities of federal debt.” It reports that “a broad range of economists say that the disappointing results show the limits of the central bank’s ability to lift the nation from its economic malaise.”

It’s a terrific story, and well-timed, given that on Wednesday Mr. Bernanke will break tradition and meet with the press. It is part of the Fed’s effort to get ahead of what is emerging as a public relations catastrophe, as gasoline is nearing six dollars a gallon at some pumps, the cost of groceries is skyrocketing, and the value of the dollars that Mr. Bernanke’s institution issues as Federal Reserve notes has collapsed to less than a 1,500th of an ounce of gold. Unemployment is still high. Shakespeare couldn’t come up with a better plot. But how in the world did Mrs. Palin, who is supposed to be so thick, manage to figure all this out so far ahead of the New York Times and all the economists it talked to?

She did this back in November in a speech at Phoenix, which the Wall Street Journal, in a laudatory editorial at the time, characterized as zeroing in on the connection between a weak dollar and rising prices for oil and food. “We don’t want temporary, artificial economic growth brought at the expense of permanently higher inflation which will erode the value of our incomes and our savings,” the Journal quoted Mrs. Palin as saying. “We want a stable dollar combined with real economic reform. It's the only way we can get our economy back on the right track.” Now here is the New York Times quoting a raft of economists who have reached the conclusion that Mrs. Palin’s warning was right down the line.

It happens that Mrs. Palin’s demarche coincided with a piece in the Financial Times by the president of the World Bank, Robert Zoellick, suggesting that a new international monetary system centered on the major currencies “should also consider employing gold as an international reference point of market expectations about inflation, deflation and future currency values.” The FT is such a Keynesian bastion that the Journal likened Mr. Zoellick’s mentioning gold in its pages to mentioning Sarah Palin’s name at the Princeton Faculty Club. The FT issued an editorial attacking its own op-ed piece, while Mr. Zoellick’s scoop so startled the New York Times that it brought in no less a heavyweight than James Grant of the Interest Rate Observer to write a piece on the virtues of the gold standard.

Alone amont general interest publications, the Drudge Report has been fronting the gold price almost daily. And now the Times itself is out with its a story about how the Fed’s quantitative easing has been a disappointment. It may have, as the Times puts it, “pumped up the stock market, reduced the cost of American exports and allowed companies to borrow money at lower interest rates,” but “those benefits have been surprisingly small.” Will any of this bring some humility to the Fed and its chairman? It will be something to watch for in his first big press conference Wednesday. No doubt it will be one of the most crowded press conferences in recent memory, and there will be lots to ask about. But one of the questions will be how in tarnation Mrs. Palin figured it out so far ahead of everyone else.

More unexppected. Is this the hope or the change?

http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives/32861

Palin vs. Krugman
April 24, 2011 by Don Surber
The Fed bet $900 billion it didn’t have — and it lost.

Good thing China is not the Mafia or someone would kneecap Ben Bernanke.

First, the Xtra Normal cartoon: Quantitative Easing Explained (go to link)

In that liberal shorthand that they substitute for critical thinking, this is called QE2.

But unlike the luxury ship that Cunard Lines operated for 39 years, Bernanke’s QE2 sank.

Taking with it, $900 billion.

The idea was to have the Federal Reserve buy $900 billion worth of Washington’s burgeoning debt under a Democratic Congress — up nearly $6 trillion since Democrats took over Congress in 2006 (and Congress has the power of the purse, and not the president) Quantitative Easing was pitched as another savior of the economy after the stimuli of 2008 ($150 billion) and 2009 ($787 billion) failed.

So we flushed nearly $2 trillion down the toilet and unemployment is still 8%-9% — far higher than when the government began trying to stop the inevitable retrenchment of the economy.

The fiscal plan of papering our problems over with $900 billion in new money hurt the economy.

The liberals brought back inflation.

$4 gasoline?

You ain’t seen nothing yet.

Ben Bernanke, the head of the Fed, is a fool who should be fired and replaced by Ron Paul.

From the New York Times: “The Federal Reserve’s experimental effort to spur a recovery by purchasing vast quantities of federal debt has pumped up the stock market, reduced the cost of American exports and allowed companies to borrow money at lower interest rates.”

You don’t “experiment” with $900 billion you do not have.

You blow it.

There should be severe penalties and frankly, not only should we fire Ben Bernanke, but we should strip him of his pension and sue him for economic malpractice. There should also be a federal grand jury investigating this monumental failure.

American conservatives tried to tell them.

From the Wall Street Journal on November 9, 2010:

Sarah Palin, delving into a major policy issue a week after the mid-term elections, took aim Monday at the Federal Reserve and called on Fed chairman Ben Bernanke to “cease and desist” with a bond-buying program designed to boost the economy.

Speaking at a trade association conference in Phoenix, the potential 2012 presidential candidate and tea-party favorite said she’s “deeply concerned” about the central bank creating new money to buy government bonds. Ms. Palin said “it’s far from certain this will even work” and suggested the move would create an inflation problem.

What exactly did she say?

From the same story, Mrs. Palin: “When Germany, a country that knows a thing or two about the dangers of inflation, warns us to think again, maybe it’s time for Chairman Bernanke to cease and desist. We don’t want temporary, artificial economic growth bought at the expense of permanently higher inflation which will erode the value of our incomes and our savings.”

She referred of course to the hyperinflation in the Weimar Republic days of Germany in the 1920s — which collapsed and paved the way for Hitler and Nazi Germany.

This is what happens when a smart nation gets reckless.

From a New York Sun editorial today:

It happens that Mrs. Palin’s demarche coincided with a piece in the Financial Times by the president of the World Bank, Robert Zoellick, suggesting that a new international monetary system centered on the major currencies “should also consider employing gold as an international reference point of market expectations about inflation, deflation and future currency values.” The FT is such a Keynesian bastion that the Journal likened Mr. Zoellick’s mentioning gold in its pages to mentioning Sarah Palin’s name at the Princeton Faculty Club. The FT issued an editorial attacking its own op-ed piece, while Mr. Zoellick’s scoop so startled the New York Times that it brought in no less a heavyweight than James Grant of the Interest Rate Observer to write a piece on the virtues of the gold standard.

Alone among general interest publications, the Drudge Report has been fronting the gold price almost daily. And now the Times itself is out with its a story about how the Fed’s quantitative easing has been a disappointment. It may have, as the Times puts it, “pumped up the stock market, reduced the cost of American exports and allowed companies to borrow money at lower interest rates,” but “those benefits have been surprisingly small.” Will any of this bring some humility to the Fed and its chairman? It will be something to watch for in his first big press conference Wednesday. No doubt it will be one of the most crowded press conferences in recent memory, and there will be lots to ask about. But one of the questions will be how in tarnation Mrs. Palin figured it out so far ahead of everyone else.

How did she know? She has real world knowledge. She has run a business. She has been a governor. She actually ran something other than her mouth.

From William Jacobson: “In other news, the most intelligent, nuanced and intellectually adroit President ever — someone who can parse a sentence with his bare hands — still is pushing windmills and high speed trains as the key to our economic future. I’ll take a mere commoner as the next president, you can have Don Quixote.”

And he teaches law at Cornell.

If an Ivy Leaguer can get it, why not liberals?

Because they have this type of wishful thinking from Nobel economics laureate Paul Krugman:

People have been asking me about this article on the disappointing results of the Fed’s quantitative easing. What I would say is that QE2 has been implemented in such a way that there was no reason to expect a lot of traction on the economy; the only channel through which we might have had large effects was via expectations. And that part mainly happened before the policy actually began.

What is the Fed actually doing? It isn’t “printing money”; it has been buying long term bonds, paying for them by adding to (interest-paying) bank reserves. In effect, it has been borrowing short and lending long.

He is in denial deeper than Elton John was when he married Renate Blauel.

Nothing wrong with being gay.

Plenty wrong with being stupid.

Linked by Glenn Reynolds. Thanks.

How soon will the tipping point come? The worst case scenario:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/maxed-out-america-coming-sooner-than-you-think/?print=1

Maxed Out America: Coming Sooner Than You Think

Posted By Tom Blumer On April 25, 2011 @ 12:00 am In Uncategorized | 11 Comments

Washington’s recent budget deal represents at best a tiny baby step in the right direction. What is at stake in the budget battles to come is exponentially higher. This is why the “Maxed Out America [1]” initiative of the PJ Institute [2] demands the immediate attention of the political class and the American people.

Everyone knows that an individual or family can only afford to go so far into debt before they become “maxed out.” At that point, lenders charge higher interest rates, refuse to extend additional credit, and cut existing credit lines.

The idea that there are limits on borrowing applies equally to the federal government, but its determination and ability to avoid grim reality have been much greater. For decades, Beltway politicians, with recent assistance from the Federal Reserve, have used tools not available to individuals and families to push off the government’s reckoning date. As of April 14, they have run up the nation’s “debt held by the public” — really amounts owed to individuals, corporations, and other countries — to over $9.6 trillion [3], an amount that is roughly 65% of the nation’s annual output [4], or Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

How far can a government run up its debts before lenders either decide to stop lending or raise their interest rates? As PJ Institute economist Laurence Kotlikoff [5] noted in an early April column [6], there is a consensus that a country reaches “a critical insolvency threshold” once its public debt hits 90% of GDP. At that point, lender cutoffs and interest-rate premiums become real possibilities. Call it the point where we become “Maxed Out America.”

How far are we from the 90% Maxed Out America threshold? Not far at all.

Kotlikoff notes that the “alternative fiscal scenario” released by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) in June 2010 “had us going critical … in 2021.”

Since then, a lot has happened. Unfortunately, almost all of it has brought Maxed Out America closer:

– In December, Congress and the president agreed to keep the current income tax system in place through the end of 2012, and to cut individual Social Security taxes by two percentage points during 2011. Kotlikoff calculates that these actions alone moved us two years closer to Maxed Out America.

– Kotlikoff further notes that CBO’s March 18 forecast which incorporated the president’s budget assumed that income tax rates will remain essentially unchanged for the next ten years. That moved Maxed Out America to late 2017, a scant 6-1/2 years from now.

– Since the recession began, CBO’s estimates of federal tax collections have been consistently overoptimistic. For example, it originally thought that fiscal 2010 collections would come in at $2.268 trillion. Actual collections were over $100 billion lower [7]. CBO estimates that collections will grow by 14% in fiscal 2012 and 2013, and by another 11% in fiscal 2014, reaching over $3.2 trillion. With the economic recovery remaining sluggish at best, there’s reason to doubt that these increases will materialize.

– Further complicating matters, lackluster employment growth since the recession ended in June 2009 has been dominated by temporary employees [8]. Temp services have added 508,000 workers in the seven quarters since the recession ended, while the rest of the economy has lost — that’s right, lost — 263,000 jobs. Temps are usually paid less than full-time employees, and therefore generate less in payroll and income tax collections for Uncle Sam. If this trend continues, actual collections will lag CBO’s estimates even further.

If we’re lucky, the positive results of the recent 2011 budget deal might offset the negative effect of the last two factors just cited, and we still have 6-1/2 years until Maxed Out America arrives.

At least one influential entity is concerned that we may have nowhere near that much time. Last Monday, ratings agency Standard and Poor’s cut its long-term outlook [9] on U.S. sovereign debt for the first time from “stable” to “negative.” The firm believes that there is a one-third chance that it will have to issue an actual downgrade of our debt in the next two years. If ratings agencies and lenders determine that we are not serious about addressing our problems, they may begin to raise rates or reduce their exposure even before we hit the Maxed Out level.

The real problem, of course, is spending, which, even after the budget deal, will have grown by over $1 trillion in four years, or about 40%, by the end of fiscal 2011. Maxed Out America cannot be avoided at currently projected spending levels.

The PJ Institute’s Maxed Out America Special Report [10] has a stern warning about the consequences of doing nothing: “Our sixteen year old kids, entering the tenth grade of high school in the fall, may face this economic impact when they graduate from college in 2017, if not sooner.” Are we as a nation willing to accept that possibility?

Given the oncoming calamity, Washington’s lack of serious urgency is scandalous. The Maxed Out America [1] initiative intends to change that. Readers should ensure that their congressperson and senators understand that they, and we, are quickly running out of time.

Article printed from Pajamas Media: http://pajamasmedia.com

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/maxed-out-america-coming-sooner-than-you-think/

URLs in this post:

[1] Maxed Out America: http://www.pjtv.com/?cmd=mpg&mpid=402

[2] the PJ Institute: http://www.pjtv.com/?cmd=mpg&mpid=403

[3] to over $9.6 trillion: http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx40/mmatters/DebtHeldByThePublic041411.png

[4] the nation’s annual output: http://bea.gov/national/nipaweb/TableView.asp?SelectedTable=5&FirstYear=2009&LastYear=2010&Freq=Qtr

[5] Laurence Kotlikoff: http://www.pjtv.com/?cmd=mpg&mpid=404&link=692

[6] in an early April column: http://www.moneynews.com/StreetTalk/AGRITOPZ7-ALLFEA-ALLTOP-ANNOTATED/2011/04/06/id/391929?s=al&promo_code=C07F-1

[7] over $100 billion lower: http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx40/mmatters/CBO2010to2013revenues031811.png

[8] dominated by temporary employees: http://s739.photobucket.com/albums/xx40/mmatters/?action=view&current=TotalAndTempJobsThru0311.png

[9] cut its long-term outlook: http://www.jsonline.com/business/120182339.html

[10] Maxed Out America Special Report: http://tinyurl.com/PJISpecialReport

Gas prices are controlled by supply and demand. Guess what happens when you manipulate supply?

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/thanks-to-obama-gas-jumps-in-a-flash

Thanks to Obama, Gas Jumps in a Flash

Posted By Will Collier On April 26, 2011 @ 12:00 am In "Green" tech,Politics,Science & Technology,US News,economy | 7 Comments

It must have looked so simple from Barack Obama’s rarely visited Senate office, or Steven Chu’s comfortable digs at Berkeley: if only we stopped taking advantage of all those nasty fossil fuels, everything would be better. Three years ago, when then-Senator Obama was dismissing high energy prices as just another good reason for more government handouts [1], and Chu was insisting that Americans ought to pay European prices [2] for gasoline, all they heard in return was applause from their core constituencies — academics and the media.

Unfortunately for now-President Obama, the reality of $4-$5-a-gallon gasoline is a much tougher sell to the general public. He’s put himself to work spinning the line that “speculators” are at fault [3] for high prices, but the actual explanation is far more prosaic. Limited supply plus growing demand equals higher prices. That’s a formula so simple, even a community organizer should be able to understand it.

Asian demand for energy continues to rise as nations in the far east region — oddly lacking in “stimulus” spending — continue to boom [4]. Supply, meanwhile, has fallen off, not only as a consequence of the turmoil in Libya and other oil-producing countries, but also thanks to the Obama-ordered moritorium on drilling [5] in the Gulf of Mexico — and the recently ordered moratorium [6] on future drilling anywhere else off the American coastline.

Obama and his minions have been chasing the green jobs chimera for so long that it’s an instinct. They pompously suggest [7] that Americans ought to trade in their current vehicles [8] for pricey, government-approved matchbox cars [9], asserting still [10] that there’s “no quick fix” for high energy prices. History, and very recent history at that, indicates that they are mistaken.

Take a look at this chart compiled by metalprices.com [11]. It’s the price of a barrel of crude oil over the past 5 years.

See that big peak in the middle? That was the last oil spike, in the summer of 2008. Notice how the price hit a high point, then fell off a cliff afterwards?

The day corresponding to that peak, an all-time high of $145.16/barrel, was July 14, 2008. By some strange coincidence, that was the very same day then-President George W. Bush lifted, by executive order, a federal ban on offshore oil drilling.

Bush’s order was, of course, immediately dismissed by the “experts.” Reuters [12] waved away the action as “a largely symbolic move unlikely to have any short-term impact on high gasoline costs.” Barack Obama’s campaign lectured that if “offshore drilling would provide short-term relief at the pump or a long-term strategy for energy independence, it would be worthy of our consideration, regardless of the risks. But most experts, even within the Bush administration, concede it would do neither.”

The movement left was even more dismissive. ClimateProgress.org [13] blasted The Washington Post for failing to headline their story about the order “Offshore Drilling Raises Oil Prices.” In response to Bush’s assertion that additional offshore extraction could equal current U.S. production in 10 years, they editorialized: “Yes, and monkeys could fly out of my butt” (emphasis in original).

There was just one problem: reality. Even though, as critcs were eager to point out, any additional American drilling was years in the future, oil prices immediately went into free-fall. By Friday, July 18, the price of a barrel of crude [14] had dropped to $128.94, a 12% decrease. A month later, on August 14, the price had fallen to $115.05. In spectacular fashion, Bush’s academic and media critics were proven seriously wrong.

For commodities traders who’d been pricing oil based on a supposition of scarcity, the potential for millions of additional barrels on the market hit like a thunderbolt. The simple act of putting America’s resources on the table popped the oil bubble, and a stunning price drop followed in short order. By election day, November 4, the price of a barrel of crude had plummeted to $70.84 — a 51% decrease in less than five months.

But wait. I can already hear the cries of, “Uh uh! The price dropped because demand fell off! Haven’tcha ever heard of the Great Recession?”

Problem is, all of that happened months prior to the collapse of Lehman Brothers and the beginning of the financial crisis on September 15, 2008 (price of crude: $95.52). Oil prices actually spiked at the outset of the economic mess, peaking at just over $100/barrel on September 30 before falling again. They reached a bottom price of $30.28 on December 23, a jaw-dropping 80% off the July peak, less than a month before Barack Obama took office.

Speaking of which: Obama had been president-elect for all of five days [15] when he announced his intention to rescind Bush’s order. Oil prices started going up again in January of 2009 and steadily increasing ever since. Obama Energy Secretary Ken Salazar announced a highly restrictive offshore leasing policy [16] last December, and the Bush executive order was officially reversed [16] on February 8, 2011.

The price of crude that day was $85.85. By April 19, it had risen to $107.18, with no end in sight.

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/thanks-to-obama-gas-jumps-in-a-flash/

URLs in this post:

[1] good reason for more government handouts: http://yourdaddy.net/2011/04/12/obamas-high-energy-prices-campaign-promise-fulfilled/

[2] insisting that Americans ought to pay European prices: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110302/ap_on_re_us/us_barbour_energy_2

[3] spinning the line that “speculators” are at fault: http://streetwiseprofessor.com/?p=5051

[4] continue to boom: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/business/2011-04/17/c_13832413.htm

[5] Obama-ordered moritorium on drilling: http://www.dailyworld.com/article/DG/20110420/NEWS01/104200343/Slicing-an-artery-industry?odyssey=nav|head

[6] recenly ordered moritorium: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/11/drilling-ban-revisited

[7] pompously suggest: http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/118137/

[8] ought to trade in their current vehicles: http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-wire/157263-obama-trade-in-your-suvs-for-more-fuel-efficient-vehicles

[9] pricey, government-approved matchbox cars: http://www.pjtv.com/?cmd=mpg&mpid=86&load=5199

[10] still: http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2011/04/15/obama-quick-fix-high-gas-prices/

[11] this chart compiled by metalprices.com: http://www.metalprices.com/pubcharts/PublicCharts.aspx?metal=cl nymex&type=C&weight=&days=60&size=s&bg=EDF2F8

[12] Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/07/14/uk-usa-energy-bush-idUKN1445445520080714

[13] ClimateProgress.org: http://climateprogress.org/2008/07/14/offshore-drilling-raises-oil-prices/

[14] the price of a barrel of crude: http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=RWTC&f=D

[15] had been president-elect for all of five days: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5geXQuR4D0KjwE3fpZP1tLnjmF51Q

[16] announced a highly restrictive offshore leasing policy: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/11/drilling-ban-revisited/

Ground level report by VDH. Note the final paragraphs:

http://pajamasmedia.com/victordavishanson/thoughts-on-a-surreal-depression/?print=1

Thoughts on a Surreal Depression

Posted By Victor Davis Hanson On May 7, 2011 @ 9:59 am In Uncategorized | 65 Comments

Here in Fresno County, in the heart of California’s San Joaquin Valley, the official unemployment rate in February to March ranged between 18.1 and 18.8 percent. I suspect it is higher in the poorer southwestern portions, especially near my hometown of Selma, about two miles from my farm.

Since 2000 we have both lost jobs and gained people, and the per capita household income is about 65% of California’s average, the average home price about half the state norm.

In some sense, all the ideas that are born on the Berkeley or Stanford campus, in the CSU and UC education, political science, and sociology departments, and among the bureaus in Sacramento are reified in places like Selma — open borders, therapeutic education curricula, massive government transfers and subsidies, big government, and intrusive regulation. Together that has created the sort of utopia that a Bay Area consultant, politico, or professor dreams of, but would never live near. Again, we in California have become the most and least free of peoples — the law-biding stifled by red tape, the non-law-biding considered exempt from accountability on the basis of simple cost-to-benefit logic. A speeder on the freeway will pay a $300 ticket for going 75mph and justifies the legions of highway patrol officers now on the road; going after an unlicensed peddler or rural dumper is a money-losing proposition for government.

The subtext, however, of most of our manifold challenges here in the other California are twofold: we have had a massive increase in population, largely driven by illegal immigration from Latin America, mostly from Oaxaca province in Mexico, and we have not created a commensurate number of jobs to facilitate the influx.

I often ask business people on the coast why there are not more industries in places like Selma other than agricultural related work that is locale specific. I would sum up their responses as something like the following: Our workforce does not have the educational and linguistic skills to justify, in global terms, the amount of wages and benefits necessary to employ them, hence jobs are mostly in service and government. Software engineering, computers, or Silicon Valley-like industry are out the question. But apparently so are large manufacturing jobs, despite an abundant workforce. As I understand employers, they seem to suggest that steel pipe, electrical wire, or radios would not be better manufactured or fabricated here, and yet still cost two to three times more than a counterpart assembled abroad.

In addition, they believe that the state government would look upon any employer of a large industry not as a partner that would alleviate unemployment and lessen county expenditures, but more or less a sort of target to regulate, advise, lecture, and chastise, both to justify the expanding government regulatory work force and to achieve a fuzzy sort of social justice. There are, of course, large plants and businesses here, but hardly enough to absorb the thousands entering the work force.

The result is about one in five adults is not working in the traditional and formal sense. A morning drive through these valley towns confirms anecdotally what statistics suggest: hundreds, no, thousands, are not employed. Construction is almost nonexistent. Agriculture is recovering, but environmentally driven water cut-offs on the West Side (250,000 acres), increasing mechanization, and past poor prices have combined to reduce by tens of thousands once plentiful farm jobs.

We live in one of the most blessed climates in the world, without major floods, earthquakes, fires, or tornadoes. The soil is unmatched. The Sierra and its rich snowpack loom immediately to the east with all its recreational, hydroelectric, and timber wealth; we are but three hours from either San Francisco or Los Angeles. And yet this is now one of the most impoverished areas in the United States, statistically in many categories of income, education, and employment well behind Appalachia.

But we are experiencing a funny sort of depression, or rather a surreal sort. I grew up with stories from my grandparents of 28 people living in my present house. My grandmother, she used to brag, had a big kettle of ham bones and beans cooking nonstop each day and fed assorted relatives as they came in from the vineyard and orchard. My grandfather made one trip to Fresno (16 miles away) every 10 days for “supplies.” The pictures I have inherited from my mother show an impoverished farm — this house unpainted and in disrepair, ancient cars and implements scattered about, a sort of farm of apparent 1910 vintage, but photographed in the 1930s — one that I could still sense traces of as a little boy here in the late 1950s.

And yet all I heard were stories of happiness, hard work, and collective sacrifice. Relatives would say that the “’30s” were the worst and best years of their lives, as they related sagas of real genius involving fruit canning and curing, ad hoc repairs to equipment, and cobbled together furniture and clothing —all without spending any money. I just looked in my grandfather’s diary; he has a happy entry in 1958 about raisin prices over $200 a ton — quite in contrast to $40 a ton he received in 1936. (A ton of raisins would fill two of those huge watermelon bins you see in the supermarket.)

In contrast, in the present depression, the out of work and poor are as numerous, but both unhappier and yet far better off than prior generations. This is not the rant of some right-wing laudator temporis acti, or the death throes of an aging old white guy, but rather empirically based and shared by most of my friends in the ascendant Mexican-American middle and upper-middle classes, many of whom are becoming quite conservative.

The cars of our poorer brethren in our major discount stores are late model and often expensive. People get into them with full carts of food and clothing. Housing here is cheap and good. How to square this circle between official poverty and misery and the veneer of a well-off general public?

I’ve been discussing these disconnects with farmers, a professor or two from CSU Fresno, and local business people. All come to the same conclusions. There is a vast and completely unreported cash economy in Central California. Tile-setters, carpenters, landscapers, tree-cutters, general handymen, cooks, housekeepers, and personal attendants are all both finding work and being paid in cash. Peddlers (no income or sales taxes) are on nearly every major rural intersection. You can buy everything from a new pressure washer to tropical fruit drinks. For this essay, I stopped at one last week and surveyed their roto-tillers, lawn mowers, and chain saws, new and good brands.

New “restaurants” are sprouting all over the highways — mobile stainless-steel encased canteens with awnings and chairs set up along the road. And yet for all the cash economy, it seems almost everyone in the food stores and doctors’ offices are on food stamps, Medi-Cal, and rent subsidies. A carload of people drove in last week, inquiring about a house nearby; the occupants assured me that they had county housing vouchers.

A third ingredient is easy credit, whether for credit cards or late model cars. The result is statistically we are impoverished with near 20% unemployment; but in reality something stranger and weirder is transpiring. Prosperity and well-being are mostly assessed in relative not absolute terms. There is little appreciation of the wonders of the iPhone, whose computerized, and GPS-driven gadgetry would have been confined to millionaires ten years ago; there is frequent lamentation that the iPhone in question is not the latest model as others enjoy. A Camry is not worshipped as a wondrous machine that can get one 200 miles in 3 hours, in air-conditioned and musical luxury, only that one has a 4, not a 6 cylinder model, without leather seats and 6-disc CD.

The combination of 2 billion Indians and Chinese in the world marketplace, exporting cheap goods, has meant fewer jobs for Americans and far more material playthings now accessible to every stratum of society. Again, easy credit, combined with little shame or penalty in defaulting on what one owes, has allowed a superficial parity with the upper-middle class. Massive government transfers and relaxed eligibility have ensured households thousands of dollars in entitlements and subsidies. We have printed $5 trillion since 2009, and borrowed $1.6 trillion just this year. And the huge influx of easy government cash shows here.

Cash wages have meant augmented entitlement money and are competitive with those who are formally employed and who pay 30% of their money in payroll, health care, and federal, state, and local income tax deductions. The result is an odd sort of poverty, in which superficially the unemployed and poor to the naked eyed are almost identical to the upper middle classes.

Indeed what distinguishes the latter — the ability to pay a child’s tuition at college, frequent travel, higher end clothes and cars, a pool, or boat — seems rather superfluous. Need-based student loans and grants are now ubiquitous, one can learn more about Florence on a cable TV in-depth tour than going there, and a Lexus or Mercedes is not much different in reliability and comfort from a Honda or Nissan. I did an experiment the other day. I priced “wicker” furniture at Kmart and Wal-Mart and then drove up to an upscale North Fresno design outdoor living boutique. In short, the local version from China was about $300 for an ensemble, the high-end version was priced at $1700. To the naked eye, they were again almost identical and explain what I mean by the “veneer” of affluence. Ditto everything from jogging clothes to watches, and one can be outfitted in Selma for 10% of the cost of the brands of those popular in Palo Alto.

Some final tesserae in this confusing mosaic: The rhetoric of poverty and oppression is far more strident than the Depression-era, spread the wealth, Huey Long sort. The sense of injustice voiced by the SEIU [1] or public employee unions suggests wide scale Dickensian malnutrition, not an epidemic of obesity so amply chronicled by the first lady.

History’s revolutions and upheavals — whether the Nika rioting in Constantinople, the periodic uprising of the turba in Rome, the French upheavals, or the Bolshevik Revolution — are rarely fueled by the starving and despised, but by the subsidized and frustrated, who either see their umbilical cord threatened, or their comfort and subsidies static rather than expansive — or their own condition surpassed by that of an envied kulak class. Perceived relative inequality rather than absolute poverty is the engine of revolution.

These are strange and dangerous times. An insolvent federal government, an exporting China and India, and an almost complete indifference to federal immigration, tax, and regulatory laws have all combined to create a well-entitled but increasingly angry population, one “empowered” and made more, not less, bitter by the last two years of governance in Washington.

Article printed from Works and Days: http://pajamasmedia.com/victordavishanson

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/victordavishanson/thoughts-on-a-surreal-depression/

URLs in this post:

[1] SEIU: http://pajamasmedia.com/zombie/2011/05/06/seiu-drops-mask-goes-full-commie/

A Frightening Satellite Tour Of America's Foreclosure Wastelands

Unfortunately, prices are still dropping

http://www.businessinsider.com/satellite-tour-foreclosure-cities-2011-1?slop=1#boise-idaho-1-in-21-homes-in-foreclosure-the-red-dots-show-foreclosures-1

Note: The red dots shows homes currently in foreclosure. The slide title describes the fraction of homes that received foreclosure filings in 2010.

See link.

New York Times

May 8, 2011
The Unwisdom of Elites
By PAUL KRUGMAN
The past three years have been a disaster for most Western economies. The United States has mass long-term unemployment for the first time since the 1930s. Meanwhile, Europe’s single currency is coming apart at the seams. How did it all go so wrong?

Well, what I’ve been hearing with growing frequency from members of the policy elite — self-appointed wise men, officials, and pundits in good standing — is the claim that it’s mostly the public’s fault. The idea is that we got into this mess because voters wanted something for nothing, and weak-minded politicians catered to the electorate’s foolishness.

So this seems like a good time to point out that this blame-the-public view isn’t just self-serving, it’s dead wrong.

The fact is that what we’re experiencing right now is a top-down disaster. The policies that got us into this mess weren’t responses to public demand. They were, with few exceptions, policies championed by small groups of influential people — in many cases, the same people now lecturing the rest of us on the need to get serious. And by trying to shift the blame to the general populace, elites are ducking some much-needed reflection on their own catastrophic mistakes.

Let me focus mainly on what happened in the United States, then say a few words about Europe.

These days Americans get constant lectures about the need to reduce the budget deficit. That focus in itself represents distorted priorities, since our immediate concern should be job creation. But suppose we restrict ourselves to talking about the deficit, and ask: What happened to the budget surplus the federal government had in 2000?

The answer is, three main things. First, there were the Bush tax cuts, which added roughly $2 trillion to the national debt over the last decade. Second, there were the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, which added an additional $1.1 trillion or so. And third was the Great Recession, which led both to a collapse in revenue and to a sharp rise in spending on unemployment insurance and other safety-net programs.

So who was responsible for these budget busters? It wasn’t the man in the street.

President George W. Bush cut taxes in the service of his party’s ideology, not in response to a groundswell of popular demand — and the bulk of the cuts went to a small, affluent minority.

Similarly, Mr. Bush chose to invade Iraq because that was something he and his advisers wanted to do, not because Americans were clamoring for war against a regime that had nothing to do with 9/11. In fact, it took a highly deceptive sales campaign to get Americans to support the invasion, and even so, voters were never as solidly behind the war as America’s political and pundit elite.

Finally, the Great Recession was brought on by a runaway financial sector, empowered by reckless deregulation. And who was responsible for that deregulation? Powerful people in Washington with close ties to the financial industry, that’s who. Let me give a particular shout-out to Alan Greenspan, who played a crucial role both in financial deregulation and in the passage of the Bush tax cuts — and who is now, of course, among those hectoring us about the deficit.

So it was the bad judgment of the elite, not the greediness of the common man, that caused America’s deficit. And much the same is true of the European crisis.

Needless to say, that’s not what you hear from European policy makers. The official story in Europe these days is that governments of troubled nations catered too much to the masses, promising too much to voters while collecting too little in taxes. And that is, to be fair, a reasonably accurate story for Greece. But it’s not at all what happened in Ireland and Spain, both of which had low debt and budget surpluses on the eve of the crisis.

The real story of Europe’s crisis is that leaders created a single currency, the euro, without creating the institutions that were needed to cope with booms and busts within the euro zone. And the drive for a single European currency was the ultimate top-down project, an elite vision imposed on highly reluctant voters.

Does any of this matter? Why should we be concerned about the effort to shift the blame for bad policies onto the general public?

One answer is simple accountability. People who advocated budget-busting policies during the Bush years shouldn’t be allowed to pass themselves off as deficit hawks; people who praised Ireland as a role model shouldn’t be giving lectures on responsible government.

But the larger answer, I’d argue, is that by making up stories about our current predicament that absolve the people who put us here there, we cut off any chance to learn from the crisis. We need to place the blame where it belongs, to chasten our policy elites. Otherwise, they’ll do even more damage in the years ahead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/09/opinion/09krugman.html?_r=1&src=ISMR_HP_LO_MST_FB

Political manipulation of energy markets will have huge long term negative effects (notice the cost of the drilling moratorium in the Gulf. Now expand that amount of economic activity to other areas where drilling and production occurs):

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/gas-prices-are-high-because-the-liberals-want-it-that-way/?print=1

Gas Prices Are High Because the Liberals Want It that Way
Posted By Gary Wickert On May 12, 2011 @ 12:00 am In Money,Politics,Science & Technology,US News,economy | 10 Comments

High gasoline prices are not a cause of the current economic recession, they are an avoidable and unnecessary symptom of liberal environmental and economic policies. When President Barack Obama took office the price of gasoline was $1.83 per gallon [1]. Today it’s over $4.00. Understanding why that is so will give you insight into the patient game plan of the fossil-fuel-hating, combustion-engine-despising, environmentally obsessed left.

The high price of gas is not simply a function of the cost of crude oil. There are many causes for the $4.00 we are currently paying for a gallon of gasoline. Of that $4.00, taxes account for 52 cents, distribution and marketing about 32 cents, refining 56 cents, and the cost of crude oil $2.60. By the mid-20th century, oil was surpassed only by income taxes as the largest generator [2] of revenue for the U.S. government.

Clearly, the biggest portion of the $4.00 you pay goes to the crude oil suppliers. This is where supply and demand takes over. The price of crude oil is determined by the world’s oil-exporting nations, particularly the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). OPEC is responsible for over 40% of the world’s crude production. In 2001, when OPEC reduced its production by 1 million barrels a day, gas prices in the U.S. skyrocketed to $1.71 per gallon. When it increased its production in 2005, gas prices dropped.

The United States is actually the third-largest producer of crude oil in the world, but we still import nearly 40% of our crude oil demand, mainly from Canada, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, and Venezuela. But here is where life becomes quite simple. The more crude oil we produce domestically, the less taxes we heap on a gallon of gasoline, the fewer hurdles and blends we require of domestic manufacturers, the less we pay for gasoline. U.S. domestic oil production peaked way back in 1970, and by 2005, imports were twice that of domestically produced crude oil.

Increasing domestic exploration, drilling, and production is the simple solution to what we are paying at the pump. Yet our president has repeatedly misled us by alleging that there is no “silver bullet” for lowering gas prices. What the Obama administration and his liberal machine have been doing is just the opposite — and it is beginning to look intentional.

President Obama follows the liberal playbook about energy independence — code for wind and solar energy which won’t fuel our automobiles, jets, ships, or the war machines he has sent into Libya. He misleads the American people about ethanol leading to energy independence. It can’t and won’t. Ethanol is not economically competitive. Corn ethanol costs an average of $2.53 [3] to produce – several times the 56 cents it costs to produce a gallon of gasoline. Instead, ethanol simply raises the price of gasoline we pay at the pump.

Last month, Shell Oil Company announced it was forced to scrap efforts to drill for oil in the Arctic Ocean off the northern coast of Alaska. The decision comes following a ruling by the EPA’s Environmental Appeals Board to withhold critical air permits. If there was ever a clarion call to strip the EPA of its oil drilling oversight, this is it. Shell spent five years and nearly $4 billion on plans to explore for oil in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas. The leases alone cost $2.2 billion. The closest village to where Shell proposed to drill is Kaktovik, nearly 70 miles away with a population of 245.

President Obama’s solution to the crisis is to launch investigations and task forces, rather than increasing production. Last month Obama announced [4] that the Justice Department will try to “root out” fraud and waste in the oil markets, yet it was Obama himself who was quoted just a few weeks ago saying, “Politicians are often eager to feed the impression that solving the problem is just a matter of eliminating waste and abuse — you’ll hear that phrase a lot.” At a gas price town hall meeting Obama told [5] a father of ten to cram his family into a hybrid and told us all that inflating our tires and getting a “tune-up” would beat high gas prices.

President Obama overreacted to the British Petroleum Deep Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico last year by issuing a crippling moratorium [2] on offshore deepwater drilling. The spill was a result of a lack of sufficient oversight during the transition of the rig from exploration to commercial production, a particularly low-probability event. The moratorium did nothing to address the root cause of the accident. The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals [2] agreed with this line of reasoning, yet White House officials falsely represented to the public last year and more recently to a court that scientists had approved the blanket drilling moratorium. The administration then defied a federal court by replacing its original moratorium, which had been struck down, with a substantively identical second moratorium — for no good reason.

Obama’s six-month moratorium cost more than $2.7 billion [2] in economic activity worldwide and $2.1 billion in the Gulf communities. It cost thousands of jobs and significantly reduced our domestic oil production — contributing to the high cost of gasoline. Obama has shut down much of the domestic oil production in the Gulf of Mexico, Alaska, East Coast, and West Coast. The U.S. used to produce daily 10 million barrels [6]; now we are at 7 million barrels, and we will soon be at 6 million barrels.

When the heat of high gas prices hits the White House, they default to their usual mantra of blaming Big Oil. They point to oil company profits and insinuate that these profits are from the sale of gas. However, oil companies have an anemic profit margin on the sale of gasoline — around 6%. This means that while the oil companies see a profit of around 24 cents from the gallon of gas you pay $4.00 for, the government sees a profit of 50 cents in taxes and other charges. It is the government who is gouging and needs to be investigated — not the oil companies.

Something you’ll never hear from our president is that most oil companies simply sell crude oil they produce to other companies who have refining capabilities who in turn sell to independent distributors and retailers. They set the price of gasoline and at every stage of the process people are trying to buy low and sell high. But oil companies make good villains for anybody who dislikes capitalism and the free market economy. Lest we forget, the anemic profit oil companies make on gasoline is the only reason oil companies provide us with gasoline in the first place.

Every three years the price of gas goes up and the left attacks the oil companies. Obama looks at profits as something evil and does not understand that profits are needed to explore for new oil and replace quality reserves. He does not realize — or refuses to acknowledge — that one oil platform alone can cost $1 billion. The left doesn’t understand that higher taxes make the U.S. more dependent on foreign oil, increasing the cost of gas at the pump.

And my how the story changes when high gas prices occur during the Obama administration as opposed to the Bush administration. In 2006, the Democrats cried foul over high gas prices. Nancy Pelosi [7] said, “We are seeing a government run for the oil companies.” When the Democrats took control of the House and Senate, gas prices were at $2.33 per gallon. Senator Barack Obama used high gas prices to get elected, telling people on the campaign trail that he felt their pain.

“I met a guy who couldn’t go on a job search because of the high price of gas,” Obama said in 2008. “I met a teacher in South Dakota who loved her job as a teacher on an Indian reservation, but she had to quit because the drive was too far — it was taking up too much of her paycheck. I know how bad people are hurting.” But he apparently doesn’t feel your pain anymore. In fact, he blames you for high gas prices. Recently, he was asked if he still felt our pain, and he responded [8], “If you’re complaining about the price of gas and only getting eight miles per gallon – you, uh, know — you may have a big family but it’s probably not that big.”

The media destroyed George Bush over gas prices saying it would destroy the country. But today the media portrays high gas prices as something positive. “Higher gas prices are forcing us to search for alternative fuels and more fuel-efficient cars,” said Priya David [9] on CBS News. “And there are other reasons to be optimistic about the high cost of gas.” So there you go. It’s a good thing.

Obama’s policies are intentionally reducing the supply of gasoline and crude oil just as world demand goes up. One must conclude based on his actions that he doesn’t object to gas at $4.00 a gallon. Inflammatory? It shouldn’t be. In 2008 he said [10], “I think that I would have preferred a gradual adjustment [in the rising cost of gas]. The fact that this is such a shock to American pocketbooks is not a good thing. But if we take some steps right now to help people make the adjustment, first of all by putting more money in their pockets, but also by encouraging the market to adapt to these new circumstances more rapidly, particularly U.S. automakers.”

A president who truly wants lower gas prices can increase the supply of oil by opening up more areas offshore and in ANWR for domestic drilling and easing regulations. We have plenty of domestic resources to drill, and plenty of companies willing to drill for it if the left and their misguided environmental, big-government and anti-capitalist policies would just get out of the way. Increased domestic production would stimulate U.S. job growth and provide a tremendous boost to our economy. It would lower gas prices, reduce our dependence on foreign oil, and shield us from the effects of instability in the Middle East and price fixing by OPEC.

But these things aren’t going to happen if the president wants just the opposite. The result of our president’s policies has been decreasing oil production, increasing gas prices, and a mass exodus of oil companies sending operations and rigs overseas to “greener” pastures.

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/gas-prices-are-high-because-the-liberals-want-it-that-way/

URLs in this post:

[1] $1.83 per gallon: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/Avigdor/white-house-correspondents-dinner-2011_n_855926_86477066.html
[2] largest generator: http://www.noia.org/website/download.asp?id=40016
[3] $2.53: http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=7308
[4] Obama announced: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110421/ap_on_bi_ge/us_obama
[5] Obama told: http://community.history.com/reply/420632/t/Gasoline-Price-Townhall-LightWalker-Tells-Father---Sell.html
[6] 10 million barrels: http://bigpeace.com/jkalosha/2011/05/03/obama-cause-of-not-solution-to-high-gas-prices/feed
[7] Nancy Pelosi: http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/dahlgren/110429
[8] he responded: http://www.anchorrising.com/barnacles/012569.html
[9] Priya David: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/16/earlyshow/main4264742.shtml
[10] In 2008 he said: http://www.nationalreview.com/planet-gore/17568/we-have-only-ourselves-blame-4-gas/noel-sheppard

The "A scary strategic problem - no oil" thread demonstrates there is actually lots of oil, and various techniques exist to squeeze more out of each unit of energy produced (as well as lots of facts and figures on various green, nuclear and alternative energy sources which can help suppliment but not replace hydrocarbon fuels), so a change in the political landscape can open the door for lots of changes to the market.

I find all this nonsense about gas prices from the right in the USA to be hilarious.  The reality seems to be from a variety of studies that even if suddenly the US Government opened a free-for-all on drilling for oil in US territory, not only would it take years to come on stream, but the impact on prices wouldn't be huge.  The idea that somehow oil companies would then necessarily supply this to US customers is also hilariously wrong.  They'd sell it for the highest price, and OPEC would continue to have a great impact on that price.  The USA's largest supplier of oil is Canada, and while we're not a member of OPEC, we sell at the price that they are only too happy to manipulate to an extent, and to which speculators in the market happily add when they see fit.

The only thing funnier and stupider spouted by some (all righties, interestingly) is a comparison of gas prices in other countries - pointing to places like Iran etc where government subsidies exist, something I don't think too many conservatives would actually argue for, unless of course they are complete hypocrites.

The fact is, a rise in the price of gasoline isn't bad, though I'd rather have seen it be a gradual increase, like President Obama said.  Oil is a scarce resource and will continue to be, and it's in our interest for a variety of reasons to use less, find alternatives, and adapt ourselves to the reality that it will become more and more expensive to extract and thus to buy.  The US economy could use the growth that could come from taking the lead on this, but it seems they're too busy arguing about stupid things like abortion, funding NPR, etc, to actually really figure out where they're going for the next few years.

Thucydides said:
Political manipulation of energy markets will have huge long term negative effects (notice the cost of the drilling moratorium in the Gulf. Now expand that amount of economic activity to other areas where drilling and production occurs):

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/gas-prices-are-high-because-the-liberals-want-it-that-way/?print=1

The "A scary strategic problem - no oil" thread demonstrates there is actually lots of oil, and various techniques exist to squeeze more out of each unit of energy produced (as well as lots of facts and figures on various green, nuclear and alternative energy sources which can help suppliment but not replace hydrocarbon fuels), so a change in the political landscape can open the door for lots of changes to the market.

Seems like every time gas goes up we get the same old story in the media  ........
Bicycles, e-bikes and scooter sales are up. Yet as I bike around my neighbourhood people look at me like I am too poor to own a car.  ::)

Toronto fights back against rising gas prices

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/989236--toronto-fights-back-against-rising-gas-prices?bn=1

Failure to note that the mere announcement of the lifting of US drilling restrictions by President George W Bush caused the price of oil to collapse within 24 hr of the announcement being made suggests that you are either not understanding the response of the market to signals, or are simply attacking the messenger without reference to the message.

And of course the second part of the message demonstrating that they physical product is readily available also suggests that there is a lack of understanding about supply and demand. Supply is being manipulated and negative signals are being sent to the market, hence the price spike.

Knowing how things work can lead to the discovery of solution; trying to shout down the messengers not so much....

And of course reality eventually cannot be ignored:

http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2011/05/drilling-for-votes-president-obama.html

Drilling for votes: President Obama caves to the Republicans

By TigerHawk at 5/14/2011 07:39:00 AM

In what can only be described as a victory for Republicans, President Obama has, in the wee hours on a Saturday morning, announced that he will direct federal agencies to approve more drilling for oil and gas off the Alaska and Gulf coasts. His motives are transparent, even to Reuters:

U.S. President Barack Obama, under pressure from Republicans and the public to bring down gasoline prices, announced new measures on Saturday to expand domestic oil production in Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico.

High fuel prices have dented Obama's ratings in opinion polls and threaten to dampen the economic recovery that is critical to his re-election in 2012.

The question is, why announce a big policy reversal at the quietest moment in the news cycle? Well, because it is a reversal, which point both victorious Republicans and anti-oil liberals will be making as loudly as possible with delight and outrage, respectively. The White House wants to minimize the publicity now and leave President Obama room to campaign on the claim that he "expanded" offshore drilling (when, in fact, he unlawfully did the opposite).

Now let's bring those rigs home.

Thucydides said:
Failure to note that the mere announcement of the lifting of US drilling restrictions by President George W Bush caused the price of oil to collapse within 24 hr of the announcement being made suggests that you are either not understanding the response of the market to signals, or are simply attacking the messenger without reference to the message.

Actually, there's little evidence anywhere that Bush's announcement had a causative effect on oil price changes, in fact, as I recall, it had more to do with the collapse of credit available to leverage speculative positions.  Didn't I actually post a link on this.  See, what you and the blogs you post (most of which I find laughable) fail to do is actually establish causation.  It's not enough to say "Bush announced lifting of drilling restrictions and oil prices fell..."  You have to actually extend that to "oil prices fell because..." and provide evidence to support that claim.  I've noticed over the years that the right in particular doesn't really worry much about that, but that doesn't change anything.  There's nothing wrong with attacking the message when it's incomplete, and when it's in the messenger's interests to promote that incomplete message, I also see nothing wrong with attacking them.  They should know better, or do and persist because it suits those interests.

Thucydides said:
And of course the second part of the message demonstrating that they physical product is readily available also suggests that there is a lack of understanding about supply and demand. Supply is being manipulated and negative signals are being sent to the market, hence the price spike.

Knowing how things work can lead to the discovery of solution; trying to shout down the messengers not so much....

So you've just undermined your own argument, well done!  If the physical product is indeed readily available (and what I've read suggests both a) it is and b) US drilling restrictions don't really stand to impact that supply much anyhow), then it is clear that there's more to the story.  The impact of price speculation and ability of producers to manipulate supply (and to shift costs along their vertically integrated systems) are both contributing.  Stopping deep water drilling which we know can produce disasters the industry can't control, and drilling up wildlife habibat clearly aren't going to solve those problems.

Thanks for this though, it's refreshing to see you completely undermine your nonsensical claims in one single post.  BZ!

More interference with the market:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/startup-america-will-have-a-bad-ending/?print=1

‘Startup America’ Will Have a Bad Ending

Posted By Jay Schalin On May 28, 2011 @ 12:00 am In Opinion,Politics,US News,economy | 9 Comments

In January, the Obama administration announced a major new initiative to revitalize the national economy called Startup America [1]. Its main objective is to unleash the nation’s latent entrepreneurial energy.

But it is just as likely to unleash a wave of failed enterprises and crony capitalism.

For one thing, it may have already been exposed as a cynical political ploy. According to the American Spectator, [2] in February, an unnamed White House staffer stated that Startup America was largely a ruse: “It’s one more way to engage corporate America. We know many of the executives are predisposed to Democrats, this is just a way to build more connections.”

Even if it is instead a legitimate attempt to spur the economy, it should be met with skepticism — as should all such government programs. Government is rarely good at picking economic winners and losers, even when attempting to be objective. Startup America openly mixes political priorities with economic goals. Specifically, one of its core goals is to “inspire and empower an ever-greater diversity of communities and individuals.” Such a divided mission is a blueprint for failure and political payoffs.

Another ill-conceived goal of the program is to “accelerate green technology innovation.” The environmental sector is often heralded as the wave of the future by the eco-friendly Obama administration, but one study by Spanish economist Gabriel Calzada [3] showed that each “green” job created by his government actually destroyed 2.2 other jobs. And 90 percent of those green jobs were temporary.

The program has two distinct strategies. One part is government action — mainly, providing capital for startup companies using $2 billion given by the Small Business Administration. This infusion of capital is probably the wrong tool for the job of jump-starting the economy. “A shortage of private equity is not what’s holding back America,” says Karlyn Mitchell, professor at NC State University and former Federal Reserve economist specializing in small business finance. (The more likely culprit for the economic malaise is uncertainty about the future.)

The other strategy, consisting of corporations partnering [4] with federal, state, and local agencies, is more complex. On the positive side, it doesn’t take an “all your eggs in one basket” approach. Different partners will tackle the problem of spurring entrepreneurial activity in different ways.

One recently announced partnership, the Blackstone Entrepreneurs Network [5] in North Carolina’s Research Triangle region, will spend $3.6 million donated by the Blackstone Group’s charitable foundation to recruit 15 “master entrepreneurs” to work with researchers at four universities.

This arrangement is designed to tear down what, according to Mitchell, may be the most crucial roadblock to entrepreneurial success by university researchers: a deficiency of business savvy and expertise. Blackstone’s master entrepreneurs will guide them through the necessary paperwork and planning.

But despite such hopeful details, Startup America’s total negatives outweigh the positive. Perhaps the biggest problem of all is the program’s potential for crony capitalism. Corporate charity often accompanies questionable quid pro quo agreements between private firms and government: in one particularly blatant example [6], in 2008, General Electric awarded $11 million in grants to schools in New York to Congressman Charles Rangel’s district, shortly after Rangel — the powerful head of the Ways and Means Committee — reversed his opposition to a tax shelter that greatly benefited GE. (Rangel has since been censured for other pay-to-play schemes.)

Major corporations are rushing to sign up as program “partners,” including IBM, Ernst & Young, and Intel. Firms have already pledged over $800 million in services, expertise, and capital to the campaign. Given the comments by the aforementioned unnamed White House staffer, it is doubtful that altruism alone accounts for their generosity.

With only $2.8 billion in mixed public-private funding to date, the program may look fairly insignificant now. But it has a great deal of potential for making economic mischief: the waste of taxpayers’ money, the interruption of natural market forces needed to actually restore prosperity, greater government control, and corruption. Let’s hope Startup America doesn’t do for entrepreneurship what HUD did for urban communities — or what Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac did for the housing industry.

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/startup-america-will-have-a-bad-ending/

URLs in this post:

[1] Startup America: http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/startup-america

[2] American Spectator,: http://spectator.org/archives/2011/02/02/funny-business

[3] one study by Spanish economist Gabriel Calzada: http://pajamasmedia.com../blog/spains-green-policies-an-economic-disaster/

[4] corporations partnering: http://www.startupamericapartnership.org/about

[5] Blackstone Entrepreneurs Network: http://blackstoneentrepreneursnetwork.org/#1

[6] one particularly blatant example: http://www.thestreet.com/story/11060496/general-electrics-harlem-horse-trade.html

There is one inescapable fact: sooner rather than later both Obama/Reid/Pelozi and Boehner/McConnel will, indeed must take some responsible actions. Those actions must include politically damaging spending cuts and equally politically damaging tax hikes. No one who matters, and Obama/Reid/Pelozi and Boehner/McConnel really don't matter much, gives a damn what the politicians think, if they do that at all, or want. The people who do matter, people like D.J. Flint, Rex Tillerson and Wang Jianzhou, will decide what spending is to be cut and what taxes are to be raised. Note that 2/3 of the people who will decide American policy for Americans are not, themselves, Americans. Both the American politicians and the American people have abrogated both their responsibility and authority because they found their silly culture wars over non-issues like gay marriage more important than governing themselves in a responsible manner. It's a wee bit sad and too bad but they - the Americans of all classes - have only themselves to blame.

Its going to take money and Congress wont be giving any for this project.If Obama wants to fund it he can out of unspent TARP funds.
The good news is that a massive oil shale deposit in Texas is gearing up - unless EPA steps in. But full production is years away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/28/business/energy-environment/28shale.html?_r=1

CATARINA, Tex. — Until last year, the 17-mile stretch of road between this forsaken South Texas village and the county seat of Carrizo Springs was a patchwork of derelict gasoline stations and rusting warehouses.

Now the region is in the hottest new oil play in the country, with giant oil terminals and sprawling RV parks replacing fields of mesquite. More than a dozen companies plan to drill up to 3,000 wells around here in the next 12 months.

The Texas field, known as the Eagle Ford, is just one of about 20 new onshore oil fields that advocates say could collectively increase the nation’s oil output by 25 percent within a decade — without the dangers of drilling in the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico or the delicate coastal areas off Alaska.

There is only one catch: the oil from the Eagle Ford and similar fields of tightly packed rock can be extracted only by using hydraulic fracturing, a method that uses a high-pressure mix of water, sand and hazardous chemicals to blast through the rocks to release the oil inside.

The technique, also called fracking, has been widely used in the last decade to unlock vast new fields of natural gas, but drillers only recently figured out how to release large quantities of oil, which flows less easily through rock than gas. As evidence mounts that fracking poses risks to water supplies, the federal government and regulators in various states are considering tighter regulations on it.

The oil industry says any environmental concerns are far outweighed by the economic benefits of pumping previously inaccessible oil from fields that could collectively hold two or three times as much oil as Prudhoe Bay, the Alaskan field that was the last great onshore discovery. The companies estimate that the boom will create more than two million new jobs, directly or indirectly, and bring tens of billions of dollars to the states where the fields are located, which include traditional oil sites like Texas and Oklahoma, industrial stalwarts like Ohio and Michigan and even farm states like Kansas.

“It’s the one thing we have seen in our adult lives that could take us away from imported oil,” said Aubrey McClendon, chief executive of Chesapeake Energy, one of the most aggressive drillers. “What if we have found three of the world’s biggest oil fields in the last three years right here in the U.S.? How transformative could that be for the U.S. economy?”

The oil rush is already transforming this impoverished area of Texas near the Mexican border, doubling real estate values in the last year and filling restaurants and hotels.

“That’s oil money,” said Bert Bell, a truck company manager, pointing to the new pickup truck he bought for his wife after making $525,000 leasing mineral rights around his family’s mobile home. “Oil money just makes life easier.”

Based on the industry’s plans, shale and other “tight rock” fields that now produce about half a million barrels of oil a day will produce up to three million barrels daily by 2020, according to IHS CERA, an energy research firm. Oil companies are investing an estimated $25 billion this year to drill 5,000 new oil wells in tight rock fields, according to Raoul LeBlanc, a senior director at PFC Energy, a consulting firm.

“This is very big and it’s coming on very fast,” said Daniel Yergin, the chairman of IHS CERA. “This is like adding another Venezuela or Kuwait by 2020, except these tight oil fields are in the United States.”

In the most developed shale field, the Bakken field in North Dakota, production has leaped to 400,000 barrels a day today from a trickle four years ago. Experts say it could produce as much as a million barrels a day by the end of the decade.

The Eagle Ford, where the first well was drilled only three years ago, is already producing more than 100,000 barrels a day and could reach 420,000 by 2015, almost as much as Ecuador, according to Bentek Energy, a consultancy.

The shale oil boom comes as production from Prudhoe Bay is declining and drilling in the Gulf of Mexico is being more closely scrutinized after last year’s Deepwater Horizon disaster.

What makes the new fields more remarkable is that they were thought to be virtually valueless only five years ago. “Everyone said the oil molecules are too large to flow in commercial quantities through these low-quality rocks,” said Mark G. Papa, chief executive of EOG Resources.

EOG began quietly buying the rights to thousands of acres in the Bakken and Eagle Ford after an EOG engineer concluded that the techniques used to extract natural gas from shale — fracking, combined with drilling horizontally through layers of rocks — could be used for oil. Chesapeake and a few other independents quickly followed. Now the biggest multinational oil companies, as well as Chinese and Norwegian firms, are investing billions of dollars in the fields.

The new drilling makes economic sense as long as oil prices remain above $60 a barrel, according to oil companies. At current oil prices of about $100 a barrel, shale wells can typically turn a profit within eight months — three times faster than many traditional wells.

But water remains a key issue. In addition to possible contamination of surface and underground water from fracking fluids, the sheer volume of water required poses challenges, especially in South Texas, which faces a severe drought and rapidly diminishing water levels in the local aquifer.

At the rate wells are being drilled, “there’s definitely going to be a problem,” said Bay Laxson, a local water official.

Dave Thompson, regional production superintendent for the oil company SM Energy said the industry knew that water issues were “an Achilles heel.” He said his company was building a system to reuse water in the field.

But unlike Pennsylvania and New York, where fracking for natural gas has produced organized opposition, the oil industry has been mostly welcomed in western and southern states.

Thanks to the drilling boom, the recession bypassed North Dakota entirely. Here in Dimmit County, Tex., the unemployment rate has fallen in half, and sales tax receipts are up 70 percent so far this year, allowing the county to hire more police officers and buy sanitation and road repair equipment.

“In my lifetime, this is the biggest thing I’ve ever seen,” said Jose Gonzalez, 78, a retired teacher and son of migrant farm workers, who leased mineral rights to Chesapeake for $27,000 and sold another plot for $100,000 to a company building an RV park for oil workers. “You can see I’m happy.”

Before ypu break out the bubbly, you might want to cath the documentary "GasLand" on youtube.

Note if you get the one with the zombies - its the wrong one serious.

The main visual I recall from the real one is the dude running water into his kitechen sink and then lighting the running water with a zippo.

To say that there are severe environmental consequences is putting it very mildly

Going along with the idea that every silver lining has a cloud...

...this news from Britain as reported by Bloomberg / Businessweek:

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9NIVOPO2.htm

Kalatzi said:
Before you break out the bubbly, you might want to cath the documentary "GasLand" on youtube.

Note if you get the one with the zombies - its the wrong one serious.

The main visual I recall from the real one is the dude running water into his kitechen sink and then lighting the running water with a zippo.

To say that there are severe environmental consequences is putting it very mildly

According to the information at this site, gas in the water is naturally occurring and predates the extraction method. Further, it states that the producer of "Gasland" knew that there were documented cases of water burning dating back to 1936 and omitted that information as "irrelevant."

http://www.noteviljustwrong.com/General/gasland-director-hides-full-facts.html

Back