• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US authorities seize old private F-14 jets

I think that at least some if not all F-15's the USAF fly also have the tail hooks..again for emergencies. Think I saw it on at least one Eagle at "Earnest Harmon" Air field day here in Stephenville.

NovaScotiaNewfie said:
I think that at least some if not all F-15's the USAF fly also have the tail hooks..again for emergencies.

They are for runway arrestor gear and are not capable of stoping a jet landing on a carrier, plain and simple.

any pics around the net with an F15 or any other USAF aircraft with a tailhook? You have peaked my interest...

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0295.shtml

Found some....who woulda thunked....

CF-18s were purchased "off the shelf" with all production US Navy arrestor hooks, strengthened landing gear, and launch bars. This was done as a cost savng measure.
The was a pre production model (YF-17) built by Northrop that had a traditional landing gear, and offered in place of the F-18, but never made it past the prototype stage.
F-16s  F15s F-5s and most of the "Century Series" A/C had runway arrestor hooks.
USAF F-4s retained the USN arrestor hook, but had none of the slingshot launch gear installed

Jammer said:
CF-18s were purchased "off the shelf"

No they were not.  None of the USN/USMC F/A-18s ( In any variant ) have the searchlight mounted on the port side of the nose , thus ours were not "off the shelf"

Taken straight from the DND site

Adapted from the American F/A-18, the Canadian version of the jet features:

a sidewards-aimed searchlight beneath the fuselage for nighttime visual identifications

survival equipment adapted to the Canadian environment

various cockpit layout modifications

Correction on my part. The ID search light was added as an option as part of the purchase.
My information is based on extracts from Janes All the Worlds Aircraft published in the early eighties.

The Wilipedia entry for CF-18 should clear up any dipute

Don't totally rely on Wikipedia for your info, it will come back and bite you in the end.

Normally I don't.
However my Janes refs aren't handy right now.

Is it normal for the duty mod to mock a post?

Jammer said:
Is it normal for the duty mod to mock a post?

I'm not duty mod.....just a regular poster.

I wasnt making fun of you or your post, just indicating that i had a good laugh.

Likewise don't rely on the DND website for accuracy.

The Canadian American Strategic Review might be of interest as well.

Uhhh... what are we supposed to be saying?

however,  was reading in the papers that Iran anounced the `"launch" of a new jet fighter (again) today...

State media reported that the "Azarakhsh" (Lightning) jet -- one of the first to be home-produced by Iran -- made a successful flight in the central city of Isfahan in a ceremony attended by Defense Minister Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar and other officials.

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2007/08/16D7ECBB-153D-461D-AA1A-936BAC8294DE.html

the only problem is that..... it always appears to be the same aircraft......

Back