• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Update on Current Requirements for Joining the CF and open Direct Entry Trades

biggs said:
So in other words, DEOs are easy-come easy-go?

I can see how they arrive at that conclusion, but it still doesn't explain why they take so many more ROTP candidates ab initio, particularly for Pilot.

Because the training system for pilots is currently backlogged. A lot. Therefore, they don't really need any pilots right now. A few years down the road, once the current backlog is cleared, they could be trained. So, the focus is on enrolling people who could be ready to start their training a few years down the road, aka ROTP candidates.

Of course, fast forward a few years, and it's entirely possible that backlog will still be there, because the training capacity at that time has been filled by ROTP candidates in the past few years. But, as far as the training system is concerned, if it continues to receive trainees when there is an anticipated capacity to train them, it's all good. I don't think the Air Force really cares all that much if its pilots are ROTP or DEO. They care about not having to pay them for sitting around for years on end on OJT waiting to be trained, as that is, for the most part, wasted money.

I can see how it would be frustrating hearing how the trade you want to get into is closed to you, for the short, and possibly for the long term. But, this is a natural consequence of choosing to go after one of the most popular trades in the Canadian Armed Forces. If your goal is to serve your country, there are a number of other fine trades available. If your goal is to learn to fly, well, you can still try, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Or, of course, you can become a civilian pilot.

Back