• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unfortunate news: We have lost a member of the Corps....Ben Aubin

Bzzliteyr

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I just received an email at work about this.   I recognize the name but cannot seem to put a face to it.   It is unfortunate when any member of the forces passes on and even worse when it is a fellow Crewman.

To The Regimental Family & Friends of The Regiment,

It is with great regret and sorrow that we inform you of the death of Warrant Officer Benoit E.P.J. Aubin.   WO Aubin passed away last evening 23 August 2005 in Deep River after a long and courageous fight against cancer.

WO Aubin was born in Sturgeon Falls, Ontario on 01 May 1965. He enrolled in the Canadian Forces on 01 November 1984, and served the CF with great loyalty and dedication for over 20 years. After his basic recruit and TQ 3 training in 1984, Ben was posted to the 8th Canadian Hussars and served with the Regiment in both Petawawa and Germany from 1984-91.   He returned to Canada in 1991 and served with The Royal Canadian Dragoons in Petawawa from that time forward.   From 1997-2000 WO Aubin served a short tour away from the Regiment as an instructor at the Armour School in Gagetown.   WO Aubin served on two operational tours, one in Bosnia from 1994-95 and most recently with the Recce ISTAR Coy on Roto 0 in Kabul in 2003-04 as a Troop Warrant Officer.

An excellent soldier and Sr NCO, WO Aubin was a very strong leader who always represented his soldiers well, keeping their welfare at the fore at all times.   The consummate professional who loved soldiering, he served as an inspiration to us all and set an excellent example for us all to emulate.   A very outgoing, energetic and gregarious individual, his excellent sense of humour certainly set him apart and made him a joy to work with.   As with all great Sr NCO's, he was never backwards in coming forwards either, and had an amazing ability to offer sound advise or counsel when required.   A great friend and comrade to us all, he will be missed dearly in the Regiment.

Condolences may be sent to the Aubin family through the e-mail to the CO's Secretary, Muggsie Boland or the Acting Regimental Adjutant, Captain Rick Cameron. We will ensure they are passed along to the Aubin family.

Details of the funeral arrangements and/or Memorial Service will be passed along as soon as they are known.

Ben is survived by his wife Colleen, his son Eric, and two daughters, Christine & Aimee.   A loving and devoted father and husband, he spoke often of his love and admiration for his wife Colleen and his three children. On behalf of the Regiment, we extend our sincerest condolences to WO Aubin's family.

Just know that the Regiment is doing everything it can to assist the Aubin family through this very difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Audax et Celer

Just a quick update to the previous msg: 

Dear Regimental Family & Friends of the Regiment:

The following are the details for the Memorial Service and Military Funeral
for the late Warrant Officer Ben Aubin who passed away on 23 August 2005:

Memorial Service - Friday 26 August 2005

A Memorial Service will be conducted at St. Francis of Assisi Chapel (RC),
CFB Petawawa at 1400 hrs, 26 Aug 05, to honour the life of WO Ben Aubin.

Dress will be DEU 1A.

Guests are requested to be seated by 1345 hrs.

Following the Memorial Service a reception will be held at the Twin Rivers
Banquet Hall.

VIP attendance is requested via e-mail or phone to the undersigned, or the
CO's secretary, Muggsie Boland (613) 687-5511 extension 5649.

Public Viewing - Friday 26 August 2005

A public viewing will also be held on Friday 26 August 2005 at the Valley
Funeral Home (beside Home Hardware on Hwy 17) in Deep River, ON from
1900-2100 hours.

Military Funeral - Saturday 27 August 2005

A full military funeral will be held on Saturday 27 August 2005 at the St.
Anthony's Parish (RC Church) in Chalk River, ON.  St. Anthony's Church is
located on Main St. (if travelling NORTH from Petawawa, turn left at the
main lights in Chalk River). The tentative timing for the funeral is 0930
hours, this timing is still to be confirmed with the Aubin family & the
parish.  Once the timing is confirmed definitively, we will promulgate it as
soon as possible.

Dress for military guests is DEU 1A.  Again, VIP attendance is requested via
e-mail or phone to the undersigned, or the CO's secretary, Muggsie Boland.

Following the funeral, WO Aubin will be laid to rest at the St. Anthony's RC
Cemetery, Mill Yard Road, Chalk River, ON.

A reception will be held at the Royal Canadian Legion in Chalk River
following the internment.

Donations/Letters of Condolence

In lieu of flowers, the family has kindly requested that donations may be
made to the Canadian Cancer Society.

Letter of condolences can be sent to the undersigned, or the CO's secretary.
These will be consolidated into a book of condolences that will be presented
to the family.

If you have any questions, please call.

Thank you.

R.D. Cameron
Capt
RCD Acting Adjutant
CSN: 677-5635
Cell: (613)732-5175

Muggsie

CO's Secretary RCD
Share Your Gifts 

We got word of Ben's passing here in Kabul yesterday morning....everyone hoped he would overcome the cancer....

Alas it was not to be....

He was my troop WO in A Sqn RCD this year....a great fella. Worked with him at the school and in Recce Sqn RCD as well.

His smile was infectious....his performance was an inspiration to all that knew him.

All Dragoons in TFK HQ have said it...so I'll post it here....

He'll be sorly missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to Colleen and the kids....

A memorial for all Dragoons in theater will be held. Any pictures taken will be pushed here.

We'll miss you Ben.

Regards

Audax et Celer(Bold and Swift)  :salute:

I phoned our Mark if he knew Warrant Officer Benoit E.P.J. Aubin as our Mark was a Hussar and Mark knew him when he joined the 8th.
He asked me to pass on his Heart Felt Condolence's from one Hussar to an other Hussar.

From the both of us,our Condolence's too W.O. Aubins Family. :cdn: :salute:

I had the honour of serving overseas with Ben and knew him for about ten years.  He was an extremely energetic and outgoing man who put his men first.  He was a straight shooter who related very well with all ranks.  He was also a devoted family man.  I was floored when I got the news this spring than he had cancer.  I've been on leave the past two weeks (without e-mail) so I just found out.  I deeply regret not being able to attend the funeral, but my thoughts and prayers are with Colleen and his children.

Rest in Peace.  :cdn:

Iain

Here's the link.

http://www.dragoons.ca/Regiment/Slide%20shows/WO%20Aubin%205.mpg

It's not working for the guys over here in A Stan....it may work for you.

Regards

Never met the man, but from what I've read here I wish I had.

RIP  :salute:  :cdn:

I was fortunate enough to meet him on EX.
A Strong member of the Corps.
:salute: :cdn:

I knew WO Aubin from my early Germany days as an Hussar (1988-93).
If I remember correctly he was in A Squadron 4th Troop.
I was in A Squadron 2 Troop...

My condolences to the family. He was a good man.

L.

Back