• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Two Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

babicma

For Reservist training

While I was in the Navy we got weekends off while we were on course, OSQAB for example.

1.Do you get weekends off on SQ? (my buddy‘s getting married while I‘ll be on SQ)

2. Whats the DPI course?

You may or may not get weekends off. If you do, it‘s likely to be at the discretion of the DS, and will be based on whether or not they think the course as a whole deserves time off. If you draft up a memo at the beginning of your course stating exactly when and where your buddy is getting married, etc, then they may be able to accomodate you. That said, don‘t count on it. I don‘t know these new acronyms yet, so I‘m not sure what "DPI" is, although I have a feeling it‘s actually "Development Period 1" i.e. basic training.

1.Do you get weekends off on SQ? (my buddy‘s getting married while I‘ll be on SQ)
Good luck getting time off.

A guy on my course actually had to get married when he was on course (DP1 aka: SQ/BIQ). He told the staff about it early on in the course and it went through the chain of command. When the time came to get married almost two months later they were still giving him a hard time about wanting time off (a Friday + the weekend) so that he could get married.

He ended up paying a visit to the Padre so he could get the time off, much to the shagrin of our platoon officer.

As its been said, weekends off on course are iffy at best. If it‘s early in the course, forget about it. If it‘s later on, don‘t count on it. You can always see the Padre if the course staff turns you down.

Tyler

Now, all that being said, it isn‘t really appropriate, to my mind, to complain to a padre if you don‘t get time off on course. I‘m not saying that this is the case with you, babicma, as I know nothing about your situation, but I have had students in the past who have done all kinds of whining and complaining because they didn‘t get the weekend off. When a student turns up for a course, they should expect to work every single day of the course, weekends included. My advice to you, unfortunate as it is, is to plan not to be able to attend. That way, if everything turns out well, i.e. if the time off fits with the course schedule, and if your course doesn‘t give your instructors any grief, then maybe you will get to go, and it will be a pleasant surprise for you.

Will check, but I think DP1 = Dismounted Platoon Course, Module 1, which is sort of a combination of a couple of QL4s (comms, gunner, etc).

Originally posted by Tyler:
[qb]
Good luck getting time off.

A guy on my course actually had to get married when he was on course (DP1 aka: SQ/BIQ). He told the staff about it early on in the course and it went through the chain of command. When the time came to get married almost two months later they were still giving him a hard time about wanting time off (a Friday + the weekend) so that he could get married.

He ended up paying a visit to the Padre so he could get the time off, much to the shagrin of our platoon officer.

As its been said, weekends off on course are iffy at best. If it‘s early in the course, forget about it. If it‘s later on, don‘t count on it. You can always see the Padre if the course staff turns you down.

Tyler [/qb]
I guess with the army you dont get the weekends off. I asked because in the navy I did but oh well!

Wrong forum. Guess where this one is going to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back