• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Turmoil in Libya (2011) and post-Gaddafi blowback

The following piece from the Daily Telegraph, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provision of the Copyright Act, makes a good case for Western governments to stand aside and let the locals run their own affairs. The results may not be what we would have desired, but to impose a solution will just make matters worse.

Libya: The Arab Spring may yet turn to chilly winter

We may not like the consequences of elections in North Africa - but we must not repeat the mistakes of the past.

By Peter Oborne

9:00PM BST 22 Oct 2011

The extra-judicial execution of Colonel Gaddafi has been greeted with international elation, and understandably so. There was very little to be said in favour of that gnarled torturer and war criminal. Nicolas Sarkozy and David Cameron, who masterminded the campaign against him, have some excuse to take the view that with the killing of Gaddafi, and today’s elections in Tunisia, the Arab Spring appears to be entering a hopeful stage.

But in truth, they have more reason to be fearful. Last week, I accompanied the Foreign Secretary, William Hague, on a tour of North Africa. The mood in Libya was understandably buoyant – yet it was another destination on our itinerary that provided a hideous warning about what might happen next.

This coming December marks the 20th anniversary of the Algerian Spring, when free elections seemed to bring an end to a long period of ugly dictatorship. Yet those elections did not lead to the liberal democratic nirvana envisaged by Cameron and Sarkozy today. On the contrary, they were followed by a decade of hideously barbaric civil war, in which more than 160,000 Algerians died and the most unspeakable atrocities were perpetrated by all sides in the conflict.

Even today, Algeria has not recovered. As a society, it is suffering from a kind of post-traumatic stress syndrome. The streets are empty at night – a legacy of the curfew imposed during the civil war years – the country is a police state and al-Qaeda has established its North African headquarters in the ungovernable south.

As the Arab Spring embarks on its next stage, it is essential to ask: what went wrong in Algeria? This question is all the more urgent because the similarities between what happened then and what is happening in Egypt, Tunisia and Libya today are alarmingly close.

Back in 1991, Algeria was suffering from mass unemployment, social discontent and riots in the streets. Eventually, the president, Chadli Bendjedid, felt obliged to call an election. What followed was a fantastically hopeful period for the country. Opposition parties mobilised and, after a lively and what is widely accepted to have been a free and fair election, the Islamic Salvation Front emerged victorious.

It was at this stage that the army intervened, strongly backed by France, the former colonial power, and the CIA. The generals declared a state of emergency, cancelled future elections, and curtailed free speech and the right to public assembly. The effects were utterly catastrophic.

We now face a wave of elections all across North Africa – today in Tunisia, next month in Egypt, and in eight months’ time in Libya. It is, of course, possible that these will be won by the secular liberal parties beloved of the West. But that is unlikely. In today’s vote in Tunisia, for example, the Islamic group Ennahda is set to emerge as the largest party. That outcome will be especially unwelcome for France, which continues to regard Tunisia as part of its sphere of influence more than 50 years after the country gained its theoretical independence.

In Egypt, meanwhile, a quiet military coup, tacitly supported by the United States, has put the brakes on the move to democracy. Elections that were originally meant to be held last month have been delayed: they are now planned for next month. At some point, however, they must happen – and when they do, there is no question that the Muslim Brotherhood will emerge as a dominant force. My guess is that, at some stage, a version of Islamic law is likely to be imposed across Egypt.

Let us now consider the case of Libya. It is impossible to predict the course of events now that Gaddafi has fallen, and there will be many powerful voices in the new transitional government that indeed reflect the secular, liberal views of Western democracy. But it is perfectly possible that Abdel Hakim Belhaj, the rebel commander who claims to have been tortured by the CIA in secret jails (allegedly with British complicity), will emerge as a powerful force. His and his supporters’ presence within the rebel movement is almost certainly the reason that al-Qaeda has failed to establish a presence in Tripoli over recent weeks – but his Islamist backers, or other, similar factions, may well form alliances that take Libya in a direction that is profoundly distasteful to Britain, France and the United States of America.

What should we do? The answer, I believe, is that we must leave well alone. At this delicate stage, it is essential to bear in mind that several competing narratives are available to explain the trajectory of the Arab Spring. The narrative most favoured in the West explains events in terms of the victory of freedom and democracy over a series of ugly autocratic regimes. This narrative is true as far as it goes – but it is sadly incomplete. Those autocratic regimes were, without exception, created or sponsored by the West. President Ben Ali in Tunisia, President Mubarak in Egypt, and even Colonel Gaddafi in Libya all had their connections to Western democracies. Their security forces were often trained by us; their torturers collaborated with us; and our corporations did very profitable business with them.

This is why there is a terrifying paradox at work this weekend. The Arab Spring has certainly been a victory of freedom and decency against barbarity and repression. But it has also been, in a very fundamental way, something completely different: a revolt against Western post-colonial domination. We have consistently preferred to ignore or forget this central point, but the revolutionary leaders in Egypt, Tunisia and Libya are extremely conscious of this uncomfortable truth.

That is why it is so very important that this weekend, we reflect very carefully on the Algerian calamity. If we move once again to suppress national movements across North Africa, we will not simply risk plunging the region into chaos and brutal civil war, we may even achieve something even more dangerous and self-destructive: we may enfranchise and justify al-Qaeda.

Thus far, the Arab Spring has represented a total defeat for the ugly ideology of violent nihilism preached by bin Laden and his successors. That is because this year’s events have shown that change for the better can be achieved peacefully, through democratic means. If we step in now to block that democratic change – however unpalatable its consequences may be for us – the Arab Spring may turn almost overnight into a long and dark Arab winter.

In my (probably too oft repeated) view it is time, indeed past time, for "us," the American led West, to disengage, militarily and, in the largest possible measure, economically, from most of the Muslim world, at least from the North African, Middle Eastern and West Asian Muslim world. We should endeavour to provoke internal questions about how and why the North Africans, Arabs, Persians and Asian Muslims live and are governed as they do and are.

Some possible basic steps:

1. Stop allowing young people from most of the Islamic Crescent to study in the West. China can and will take up part, but not very much of the slack - Chinese universities are, I think, already overcrowded and understaffed, in fact, if we took fewer students from e.g. the Middle East then China and India would happily fill the empty seats in our universities, making the move revenue neutral.

2. Stop all state-to-state aid. Nothing should be done about non-state aid, much (most?) of which is humanitarian in nature; and

3. Monitor, intrusively, direct investment in North African, Middle Eastern and West Asian countries and try to tax revenues from those investments as though they were domestic. (This is a serious double-edged sword which I admit may have too many unforeseen consequences.)

Will that make Muslims crave Western style democracy? No. My guess is that most practicing Muslims would rather have an Islamic government, with Sharia and all that, than a secular one; that doesn't mean they don't want "democracy," most people want to decide their fates for themselves, but they generally, I suspect want to choose between two or three Islamic alternatives, not two or three secular ones.

Will that collapse the Muslim economies? No, but it will make growth and the provisions of services more difficult.

Will it ferment internal dissent? Yes, probably, if we maintain a propaganda barrage by allowing Muslims to travel here and see what we have and how we live. Young Muslim men, especially, will want what they do not have - even if it is not especially good for them.

Will it provoke intra-Islamic wars? No, but it will allow them.

Good article....and he's mostly correct.

This soft ball piece from the Toronto Star by columnist Rose DiManno is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provision of the Copyright Act. I wonder when someone is going to ask how many other Canadians ran a war, or even a theatre. I can only think of two, and one was a RMC graduate serving in the British army who commanded the campaign in the Cameroons in the First World War. The other was a very capable admiral in the RCN in the Battle of the Atlantic. This is a first for the RCAF.

DiManno: NATO had a good plan and Canadian commander stuck to it

Published On Sun Oct 23 2011

The day of reckoning for Moammar Gadhafi — what would be the last day of his life — was in the mission commander’s crosshairs.

Lt.-Gen. Charles Bouchard could have watched, in real time, as the deposed dictator was run to ground in a sewer, yanked bloody but alive from his hidey-hole, and set upon by revolutionary fighters. It was the bloody climax to a long, often second-guessed, campaign.

Yet the Operation Unified Protector boss from Chicoutimi took his eyes off the drama, visible to him by sophisticated surveillance technology. Instead, he cast anxious glances across what was happening elsewhere in a once-vast Libyan battlefield that had shrunk to the loyalist territory around Sirte, whence Gadhafi had risen from nobody to self-described “King of all Kings.”

From the very beginning of the NATO intervention, Bouchard had insisted, if less than convincingly, that Gadhafi was not a specific military target. His marching orders, however broadly expanded by politicians to regime change, had been the protection of civilians, enforcement of a no-fly zone and arms embargo, as mandated by UN Security Council Resolution 1973.

“Was I watching? No, I wasn’t. If I had, then I’m not looking at the whole country,’’ Bouchard told the Star by telephone Sunday from his NATO headquarters in Naples.

“The death of Gadhafi was not something that I had included in my strategic planning. To be honest, I was surprised that he was still in Sirte. I thought he was probably somewhere in the southern Libyan desert.’’

For weeks, fighting had been intense around 69-year-old Gadhafi’s hometown as antiregime forces — the ragtag but battle-hardened army of rebels — encircled the ancient fishing town, taking fierce fire from the dictator’s devoted personal guards. Last Thursday, just after dawn, reconnaissance NATO aircraft spotted about 80 vehicles slipping out of a compound and speeding away from Sirte.

“What we saw was a major convoy on the move,” recalled Bouchard. A U.S. Predator drone and French jet zeroed in for the strike at 8.30 a.m.

“The lead vehicle was destroyed. But it was evident they were attempting to reassemble. My conclusion was they were trying to marry up with other regime forces in Bani Walid.”

A second strike — likely by attack helicopters rather than a missile (there was no bomb crater left behind) — was authorized, leaving scores dead. Gadhafi was not among the victims. He had scurried into a culvert as rebels streamed to the location. And they would have, it appears, their pound of flesh.

Gadhafi was breathing when pulled from the culvert. He wasn’t upon delivery at Misurata, where his body was laid out on a mattress for public viewing inside a meat locker at a mall, men and women and children filing by to confirm that the big bad tyrant was indeed no more.

“The victory is theirs,’’ said Bouchard, of the revolutionaries who waged combat through eight months of advances and retreats. Tripoli fell in late August and so did the regime, but its remnants fought on in Sirte and Bani Walid.

There were no coalition forces on the ground, beyond “advisers.” But mission accomplished — a premature phrase when applied to Iraq in 2003 — will likely be declared, if not in those exact words, this week. NATO has said it will withdraw from Libya by Oct. 31.

A successful mission was absolutely vital for the alliance, given its muddled acquittal in Afghanistan, even if some inside observers remain skeptical about NATO’s capacity to conduct such assignments as the lead interventionists.

“Goodness, it’s always important for NATO to have success,” said Bouchard. “I think this mission bodes well for NATO’s future. It proved the concept of rapid response in a limited engagement. It tells me that we were hitting the right targets, bona fide targets, and not anybody else. The regime leaders were hit wherever they went.”

Bouchard did not know Gadhafi was part of that fleeing convoy. He was leery of initial reports the colonel had been captured. “There has been so much inaccurate reporting, rumours that proved to be untrue. … It could have all been a diversion to sneak away. I didn’t want him still out there, floating around, trying to get back into power.”

As tempting a target as Gadhafi may have been, Bouchard was adamant about sticking to the plot: methodically degrade all command-and-control nodes, sever supply lines and eliminate, from that point, the secondary echelon of organizational threat. “We had a good plan and we stuck to it. I was not going to be distracted by chasing bright shiny objects.’’

Now, like the rest of the world, Bouchard has seen the proof.

On Sunday, Libya’s chief pathologist confirmed Gadhafi died of gunshots to the abdomen and head. How that occurred is a matter of intense speculation. Human rights agencies and the UN are demanding a full investigation.

The cellphone images that went viral, of a dazed and apparently wounded Gadhafi confronting his antagonists, don’t sit well with Bouchard. “I had no respect for this individual. But no matter how despicable he was, human dignity should prevail. Justice would have been served if he’d been tried at the International Criminal Court.

“On the other hand, I do understand it. I don’t wish to comment on what happened after. From my perspective, there has been closure. Libya can move on now.’’

The flamboyant Gadhafi had vowed to fight on “until martyrdom or victory” and to “burn Libya under the feet’’ of his enemies — the “rats” and NATO stooges. For all his oratorical defiance, however, it seems he trembled under the incessant NATO onslaught.

“He was very afraid of NATO,” Mansour Dhao Ibrahim, leader of the feared People’s Guard, told the New York Times on the weekend.

Bouchard isn’t taking any bows, though clearly relieved at the outcome of a mission for which he was given command in March. .

Himself trained to fly tactical helicopters, Bouchard assumed military leadership of a coalition in which only eight of NATO’s 28 members — including Canadian fighter pilots — abetted by some Arab states, did all the heavy lifting from two bases in Sicily.

What they left behind, Bouchard emphasizes, is a country with its infrastructure still largely intact (because the missile strikes were precision-guided) and with remarkably few civilians killed, at least by NATO.

“Libya’s in a good position. The infrastructure is all there — gas, oil, electricity, water. The hospitals are open. The ports are open. The airfields are operational. It’s an urbanized country. They still have a civil service. All the ingredients for a future are in place. The challenge will be political because a new nation is being born. But they won’t be the first to do so with regional differences. Our own country is like that.”

Those sortie strikes — 9,646 since March 31 — were launched using fewer aircraft than were available during the Kosovo campaign. They relied on surprise attacks, adept intelligence gathering and relentless pursuit, never allowing regime commanders time to recalibrate.

Some rogue states can be overthrown from a distance, in coordination with ground troops. But whether this strategy can or should be replicated in future missions is a matter of disagreement. There were, it’s been reported, shortages of proper equipment and skilled targeting officers, with the U.S. — “leading from behind” — providing many of the required assets and the critical drones.

“Most of the time, I never asked, what country did what?’’ said Bouchard. “We operate under one flag: NATO.’’

Bouchard will be writing his summary for NATO on “lessons learned’’ in the coming months.

“The biggest danger is thinking that what worked here can work somewhere else at another time. We couldn’t apply Afghan tactics here and we can’t apply Libyan tactics elsewhere. I would caution against that; otherwise you’ll be planning for the last war rather than the next one.’’

When Bouchard heads back to Canada, it will be to retirement. He’s done and, frankly, mentally exhausted.

“It’ll be nice to go home and stop thinking about it. I’ve been in the military for 37½ years, a career that has gone way beyond anything I could have imagined.

“I’ve had a very good run.”

OTTAWA - Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird can't guarantee Libya won't return to Stone Age laws and treat women as second-class citizens.

After an eight-month war to liberate the people, the leader of a rag-tag coalition says Shariah law would guide the country in a post-Gadhafi era.

It was unclear how much of the law Mustafa Jalil - a former Gadhafi justice minister - wants to adopt to appease followers of Islam.

But his comments have sparked concerns.

"We didn't send our troops, our pilots to help in the liberation of Libya in order to see any one group in Libyan society oppressed," interim Liberal Leader Bob Rae said. "The liberation of Libya means the liberation of Libyan women as well as Libyan men."

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/world/archives/2011/10/20111024-170825.html

More on link

Sythen said:
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/world/archives/2011/10/20111024-170825.html

More on link

Have we got another Tar Baby on our hands?

Jim Seggie said:
Incredible. Should we be dusting off our Arid Boots?

I hope we won't be that stunned to get mired further in the morass this will turn in to.  I like ER's suggestions in another thread on what we should do with our involvement in that area of the world.

The Security Council today ordered the end to authorized international military action in Libya, more than seven months after allowing United Nations Member States to take “all necessary measures” to protect civilians during a popular uprising against the country’s former regime.

The 15-member UN body unanimously passed a resolution ending the UN mandate allowing military intervention and terminating a no-fly zone over Libya that had also been imposed in March.

After those measures were introduced, members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and other countries carried out air strikes to protect civilians caught up in the fighting between then rebels and forces supporting former leader Muammar al-Qadhafi.

According to today’s resolution, the authorization will end at 11:59 p.m. local time (1859 Eastern) in Libya on 31 October. Authorization for the no-fly zone will lapse at the same time ....
U.N. News Centre, 27 Oct 11

Text of today's resolution, via U.N. news release:
“The Security Council,

“Recalling its resolutions 1970 (2011) of 26 February 2011, 1973 (2011) of 17 March 2011, and 2009 (2011) of 16 September 2011,

“Reaffirming its strong commitment to the sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity and national unity of Libya,

“Taking note of the National Transitional Council’s “Declaration of Liberation” of 23 October 2011 in Libya,

“Looking forward to a future for Libya based on national reconciliation, justice, respect for human rights and the rule of law,

“Reiterating the importance of promoting the full and effective participation of members of all social and ethnic groups, including the equal participation of women and minority communities in the discussions related to the post-conflict phase,

“Recalling its decision to refer the situation in Libya to the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, and the importance of cooperation for ensuring that those responsible for violations of human rights and international humanitarian law or complicit in attacks targeting the civilian population are held accountable,

“Reiterating that the voluntary and sustainable return of refugees and internally displaced persons will be an important factor for the consolidation of peace in Libya,

“Expressing concern at the proliferation of arms in Libya and its potential impact on regional peace and security, and also expressing its intention expeditiously to address that issue further,

“Expressing grave concern about continuing reports of reprisals, arbitrary detentions, wrongful imprisonment and extrajudicial executions in Libya,

“Reiterating its call to the Libyan authorities to promote and protect human rights and fundamental freedoms, including those of people belonging to vulnerable groups, to comply with their obligations under international law, including international humanitarian law and human rights law, and urging respect for the human rights of all people in Libya, including former officials and detainees, during and after the transitional period,

“Recalling its decisions in resolution 2009 (2011) to:

(a)  Modify the provisions of the arms embargo imposed by paragraph 9 of resolution 1970 to provide for additional exemptions,

(b)  Terminate the asset freeze imposed by paragraphs 17, 19, 20 and 21 of resolution 1970 (2011) and paragraph 19 of resolution 1973 (2011) with respect to the Libyan National Oil Corporation and Zueitina Oil Company, and to modify the asset freeze imposed by paragraphs 17, 19, 20 and 21 of resolution 1970 (2011) and paragraph 19 of resolution 1973 (2011) with respect to the Central Bank of Libya, the Libyan Arab Foreign Bank, the Libyan Investment Authority, and the Libyan Africa Investment Portfolio, and

(c)  Cease the measures imposed by paragraph 17 of resolution 1973 (2011),

“Recalling also its intention to keep the measures imposed by paragraphs 6 to 12 of resolution 1973 (2011) under continuous review and to lift, as appropriate and when circumstances permit, those measures and to terminate authorization given to Member States in paragraph 4 of resolution 1973 (2011), in consultation with the Libyan authorities,

“Mindful of its primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security under the Charter of the United Nations,

“Acting under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations,

“1.  Welcomes the positive developments in Libya which will improve the prospects for a democratic, peaceful and prosperous future there;

“2.  Looks forward to the swift establishment of an inclusive, representative transitional Government of Libya, and reiterates the need for the transitional period to be underpinned by a commitment to democracy, good governance, rule of law, national reconciliation and respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms of all people in Libya;

“3.  Strongly urges the Libyan authorities to refrain from reprisals, including arbitrary detentions, calls upon the Libyan authorities to take all steps necessary to prevent reprisals, wrongful imprisonment and extrajudicial executions, and underscores the Libyan authorities’ responsibility for the protection of its population, including foreign nationals and African migrants;

“4.  Urges all Member States to cooperate closely with the Libyan authorities in their efforts to end impunity for violations of international human rights and international humanitarian law;

“Protection of Civilians

“5.  Decides that the provisions of paragraphs 4 and 5 of resolution 1973 (2011) shall be terminated from 23.59 Libyan local time on 31 October 2011;

“No-Fly Zone

“6.  Decides also that the provisions of paragraphs 6 to 12 of resolution 1973 (2011) shall be terminated from 23.59 Libyan local time on 31 October 2011;

“7.  Decides to remain actively seized of the matter.”

..... on the end of Canada's mission in Libya (e-mailed statement attached - link here for online version):
“With the Libyan people having freed themselves from the Gaddafi regime, Canada’s military mission in Libya is complete and Canadians can be proud of the job well done by our troops.

“Since the onset of the crisis in Libya, Canada has played a critical role both politically and militarily to protect innocent civilians against a cruel and oppressive regime.

“Working alongside our NATO allies, the Canadian Armed Forces established and maintained a no-fly zone under United Nations Security Council Resolution 1973. The Canadian Armed Forces were instrumental in mission success, flying over some 1500 military missions. Their performance is a tribute to their training and leadership and a result of having the right equipment to get the job done.

“I also want to reiterate my congratulations to Lieutenant-General Charles Bouchard and commend him for his pivotal role in leading the combined NATO military mission. He has represented our country with distinction.

“We saw a blatant wrong being perpetrated by a brutal regime and took a leadership role with our allies to help set it right. As a result, Colonel Gaddafi’s 42 years of oppression have come to an end and Libyans now have every opportunity to create a more secure, just and peaceful country.

"While our military mission in Libya has come to an end, Canada will continue helping Libyans by supporting their efforts to build a brighter and better future for themselves.  Canada recently announced it would be contributing $10 million to help secure weapons of mass destruction and
remove and dispose of explosive remnants of war."
We'll have to see how the Libyans take advantage of the opportunity mentioned in the bit in orange above to "create a more securt, just and peaceful country".

- edited to add link to statement -

Is this the new foreign policy?

We didn't think much of the last guy you picked as your agent.  Pick another one.

Repeat as often as necessary.  >:D

Lawrence Solomon: Divide Libya into its tribal parts
Article Link

Libyans are ill-prepared to govern themselves

Who should get Libya’s fabulous oil and gas wealth, an amount that could be equivalent to several million dollars per Libyan? With NATO leaving Libya Monday, the West should prepare for the aftermath. The coming chaotic months will see infighting, and perhaps a renewal of civil war, among the many rival tribal and ideological groups. The West should now consider whether to influence — or impose — a just resolution.

If the West takes a hands-off approach, Libya is likely to fall into the hands of another strongman, as all Arab countries have in the Middle East. Does the West want another Gaddafi to control these riches? Or should the riches be divvied up among Libya’s many tribes? Should Libya — a new country conjured up by Western powers 60 years ago — even exist in its present form? Or should some other borders be created, to better reflect the traditional lands and cultural differences of its indigenous populations?

This immense country — the fourth largest in Africa, in area equivalent to 25 Irelands — had but one million people on its independence day in 1951, when the United Nations merged together one French and two British-administered territories to create Libya. Few among those one million had any notion of nationhood — they largely hailed from nomadic and semi-nomadic tribes, some 20 tribes among them of various racial stock, typically with fierce allegiances to their own clans and little else.

The three territories that became Libya had few economic prospects at the time — they were believed to have no commercial supplies of oil or water — making them a cost to their British and French masters. To rid themselves of these costs, these Western powers, with UN approval, installed a local dignitary as king and walked away.

Prior to the Second World War, the territories had been colonized by Italy’s Fascists. Prior to the First World War, they had been colonies of the Ottoman Turks, who had taken them from the Arabs, who had taken them from the Romans, who had taken them from the Greeks. “Libyans” had never ruled themselves.

Today, Libyans still have little notion of nationhood. Shortly after Libya’s creation, Esso (now known as Exxon) discovered oil, making Libya a prize worth seizing. Gaddafi then overthrew the monarchy that the UN had created and dismantled parliament, political parties and all other institutions that might challenge him. Over his 42-year rule, he used Libya’s wealth, as Arab dictators often do, to buy off some tribes and oppress the rest. Today no tradition of democracy exists in Libya, except as vestiges of tribal governance, which Gaddafi also attempted to destroy.

Libyans, by any credible measure, are ill-prepared to govern themselves, and some minorities may prefer to live apart from the dominant Libyan tribes. The Tuareg in the country’s remote southwest, for example, call themselves “the free people” and live up to their name: These dark-skinned people from the Saharan interior are famed for having fought the French Foreign Legion and other colonizers in the past; today they oppose the interim leaders that NATO and the West have empowered in Libya.

Fortunately, the United Nations has a mechanism to deal with people such as the Tuareg, and immature states such as Libya —
More on link

I suppose the UN could always declare Libya a UN protectorate. :pumpkin:

That almost might be better than the visions I sometimes see them going towards....I don't honestly think Libya's fate is what people imagine....

Canadian Forces set to begin return from Libya next week
By Lee Berthiaume, Postmedia News October 28, 2011
Article Link

OTTAWA — After seven months spent bombing pro-Gadhafi forces and patrolling the coast of Libya as part of the NATO mission to protect civilians, the first Canadian units will begin returning home next week.

Seven CF-18 fighter jets, two Canadian military refuelling aircraft and approximately 270 crew members have been stationed at the dusty Trapani-Birgi airbase in western Sicily since March. Two surveillance aircraft and their crews have been operating out of a separate airfield in eastern Sicily for the same period.

Defence department spokesman Lt.-Col. Christian Lemay said Canadian pilots and crew will hold short ceremonies at both locations on Nov. 1 to thank their Italian hosts for their hospitality before preparations to withdraw begin in earnest.

While the dates are not set in stone, Lemay said the nine Canadian planes, which have conducted 1,539 missions since March, are expected to depart Italy and return to their respective bases in Canada around Nov. 2 or 3.

Military staff will take several more weeks to finish packing up what communications equipment and other items need to be brought back from Italy, Lemay said.

That will not take as long as the still-ongoing process to leave Kandahar, he said, because Canada's footprint was much smaller in Italy than Afghanistan.

Lemay said it could take up to a month for the naval frigate HMCS Vancouver and its crew of 250 to return to Canada as it must replenish supplies before the trip, and it may make several stops in foreign ports.

little more on link

E.R. Campbell said:
Just about the last thing Libya (or Tunisia or even Egypt and Bahrain, which "matter" much more) needs, right now, is foreign, especially US, intervention.

It is not clear who may end up running Libya, nor is it clear, to me anyway, why it matters a whole lot. We, the big, US led Western "we" and the even bigger Sino-Indo-American led "we" do care about Egypt and Bahrain and a few other places that are seething with discontent - Pakistan, too, maybe? - but not about Libya.

These populist movements may well bring on fundamentalist Islamist government - that was the result of the last really "free and fair" elections (1991) in relatively sophisticated Algeria. Libya has, for over 60 years, been behind its North African neighbours in most socio-economic measures; it depends upon Egypt and others for a steady supply of educated professional and technical people to "operate" the country. It is quite possible that a new military junta of some sort will take over and it may decide to reform and modernize the country - or it may decide that further decades of political repression and socio-economic stagnation are in Libya's best interests.

In any event, it is of little concern to us ... whoever "us" is.

Here is an interesting "post-mortem" on the Libyan operation, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/lysiane-gagnon/libyas-islamist-stripes-are-no-surprise/article2218022/
Libya's Islamist stripes are no surprise

LYSIANE GAGNON
From Monday's Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Oct. 31, 2011

As shop owners like to say, if you break it, you own it – or, rather, you’re stuck with it. So it is with Libya.

For at least six months, the country was bombed on a near-daily basis after the Western powers, under the impetuous guidance of France’s Nicolas Sarkozy, decided to side with a group of rebels from Benghazi who wanted to overthrow Moammar Gadhafi’s regime but couldn’t manage to do it themselves.

What began under a United Nations Security Council mandate as a series of air strikes exclusively aimed at protecting the rebels from Col. Gadhafi’s wrath soon evolved into a full-fledged regime-change operation marked by blatant attempts to assassinate the Gadhafi family. The Western coalition, including Canada, foolishly intervened in a civil war pitting the eastern part of the country against other regions without even considering, given Libya’s tribal and fractious nature, whether the majority wanted to be ruled by the Benghazi rebels.

So now Libya is broken. The Security Council voted last week to end its authorization on Monday of the foreign military intervention, although the transitional Libyan government is pleading for NATO to extend its operations through at least the end of the year, to stop the return of Gadhafi loyalists and prevent the country from descending into a spiral of tribal infighting. In Canada, there are already calls for the government to get involved in Libya’s reconstruction. Obviously, this can’t be done from the air and would usually require “boots on the ground” – huge contingents of armed peacekeepers.

The Harper government has already pledged $10-million to help Libya collect and secure the arms that have been wildly dispersed throughout the country after Col. Gadhafi’s military reserves were plundered. Another difficult task will be to disarm the bands of young, undisciplined rebels who learned to play war last spring and now cherish their lethal toys.

Agence France-Presse says tonnes of munitions, including surface-to-air missiles, have been left unguarded in Libya’s devastated towns and in the desert, some of which have already ended up in the hands of al-Qaeda, which has a base in the Sahel region.

The Western “liberators” of Libya have other reasons to worry. In his first major speech as head of the interim government, Mustafa Abdel Jalil, who heads the National Transitional Council, declared that any law that doesn’t respect sharia will be deemed illegal, starting with marriage and divorce. His first move will be to strike down the Gadhafi law prohibiting polygamy. In another disturbing decision, the council appointed a former jihadist, Abdel Hakim Belhadj, as military governor of Tripoli.

The Islamization of Libya, a relatively secular country under Col. Gadhafi, should have been expected. It was known that Benghazi, where the rebellion originated, was a bastion of religious fundamentalism, and that there were al-Qaeda sympathizers among the rebels NATO supported with its air strikes.

Canada, along with other countries, was instrumental in handing Libya, its vulnerable population and its vast resources to a group of people who didn’t offer the slightest guarantee that they would turn the country into something vaguely resembling a democracy. In the process, Libyan women are being thrown under the bus. They will lose some of the rights they had under the previous regime.

First: I doubt LGen Bouchard ever received or initiated an order to kill Col. Gadhafi; I don't know if Sarkozy gave such an order to French forces who often, I think, operated with orders that superseded those of NATO.

240px-Lt_Gen_Charlie_Bouchard_%28close-up%29.jpg

LGen Charlie Bouchard, RCAF
Commander of NATO's Libyan military operation

Second: I am not sure this is part of an Arab Spring because I am not sure there is or was an Arab Spring. "Spring" implies renewal. We may have witnessed and be witnessing an Arab Autumn, a time when things decay and die. Or, perhaps we are witnessing a period of great disruption and chaos - something akin to an Arab Spring and Autumn period during which there will be both good and bad effects for the Arabs (and North Africans and Persians and West Asians, too).

Third: I remain convinced that this is not, generally, our business, even when strategically important places like Bahrain are threatened ... or perhaps offered an opportunity.

It may be that we are about to witness a long, bloody and chaotic "changing of the guard" in most of the Islamic Crescent that stretches from the Western end of North Africa all the way to the North West boundary of Australia. I doubt that we, the American led West, have the military, economic or political resources to try to influence the course of events - even if our peoples had the will and patience for such and enterprise, which I am convinced they do not. I don't know which ways the "guards" might change - I'm sure some nations will, eventually, install moderately responsible, at least semi-democratic, fairly honest, modestly competent governments; others will replace one dictator (or that interim moderately responsible ~ modestly competent government) with another; still others will replace the overthrown dictator will a fundamentalist Islamic theocracy.

The ancient Chinese Spring and Autumn period lasted for a few centuries; I doubt the Arab (et al) equivalent, IF that's what is happening, will last as long - more than likely decades rather than centuries because it may, likely will, go nuclear at some times in some places.

E.R. Campbell said:
First: I doubt LGen Bouchard ever received or initiated an order to kill Col. Gadhafi; I don't know if Sarkozy gave such an order to French forces who often, I think, operated with orders that superseded those of NATO.

240px-Lt_Gen_Charlie_Bouchard_%28close-up%29.jpg

LGen Charlie Bouchard, RCAF
Commander of NATO's Libyan military operation

A colleague, with good "insider' knowledge has corrected my guess; he says, "... the French were not operating under NATO OUP [Operation Unified protector] control. They were on French national taskings. They were doing their own things in, essentially, what is called "associated support" to OUP.

So, French orders didn't "supersede" NATO orders, the French operated under their own, national control, supporting NATO when it suited them. Thus we have no way of knowing if Sarkozy told them and/or his clients in Libya to murder (execute, if you insist) Col. Gadhafi.

I understand that after a conflict, there are reprisals against the ones that lost.

The French did it to the collaborators to the Nazis, and the Italians (as I understand it) did the same to the Fascists.

How long before we hear of reprisals against the Libyans who supported Whacky Gadaffi?

Or will there be.....

Libya elects little-known scientist new PM
By REUTERS
Article Link

TRIPOLI - Libya’s ruling National Transitional Council has elected little-known academic Abdul Raheem al-Keeb as the new interim prime minister to guide the country as it emerges from a bitter civil war towards a new constitution and democratic elections.

With vast oil and gas reserves and a relatively small population, Libya has the potential to become a prosperous nation, but regional rivalries pent up during Muammar Gaddafi’s 42 years of one-man rule could descend into a cycle of revenge.

Keeb, a professor of electrical engineering, will have to rein in the armed militias that sprang up in each town to overthrow Gaddafi and reconcile those remaining loyal to the old rule while brokering a new system to govern the country.

“We salute and remember the revolutionaries who we will never forget. We will not forget their families,” he said. “I say to them that the NTC did not and will not forget them and also the coming government will do the same.”

The NTC has promised to hold elections for a national assembly after eight months. The assembly will then spend a year drawing up a constitution ahead of parliamentary elections.

“This transition period has its own challenges. One thing we will be doing is working very closely with the NTC and listening to the Libyan people,” Keeb said after 26 of the 51 NTC members elected him for the post in Tripoli on Monday.

An academic and a businessman, Keeb has spent much of his life outside Libya, studying in the United States before taking up academic posts in Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

NTC members described Keeb as “quiet and friendly” and said he had helped with the financing of the revolt against Gaddafi.
More on link

Back