• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Turmoil in Libya (2011) and post-Gaddafi blowback

George Wallace said:
Ah!  This explains a lot.  I am sure you really don't want to know what it explains to us though.

Yes I really do want to know what it explains to you, could you please explain I feel it is important in order to know what is important to grow on

You've been given a pile of good and justifiable reasons that we, they, us are not intervening at this time. Get yourself and your white stallion down off of that lofty, ivory tower and have a good solid look at the world.

And to paraphrase a member here "In that world, the sky is blue"

CDN Aviator said:
can a mod sort this out for him, before he make things even worse ??
I explained it to him by PM....to no avail. Perhaps fixing a post is more difficult than sorting out the UN, US, China, Russia, Libya, and now, Saudi Arabia.

sean m said:
The West is already hated for the current operations.

Your solution to that is more intervention ??

yet you cannot deny that there is a chance that they results could be positive 

It may very well be positive but i question wether that is worth the investment in Canadian lives and treasure that would be required. it is easy for you to say "intervene" because you are not at risk of being one of those who will have to do it.

I admitted to the fact I do not know an extreme amount there is to know about tactics,

make no mistake, you have no knowledge whatsoever.

Did you have a great amount of knowledge at 21?

I had much to learn at 21. I also had experienced things you cant begin to imagine. I have experienced alot of the real world since and my perspective is based on that.

Time for a pro-vivisectionist league?

sean m: Your response to this?

The Indispensable Military?
http://www.cdfai.org/the3dsblog/?p=139

Suppose one agrees that something military must be done in Libya regarding Col. Gadhafi.  It seems to me a telling, and sad, indicator of international realities that any such forceful action appears effectively impossible without considerable participation by US armed forces.

The Americans spend far more on defence, in total and per capita, than EU members.  Very many criticize the US, often severely, sometimes stridently, for what they judge an American obsession with military strength.

Yet.  Libya is close to Europe and far from the US (and Canada).  It is Europe that fears a mass migrant influx and loss of oil (along with arms contracts with Libya).  The EU in terms of population and GDP is quite equivalent to the US.  Its members still have numerically very large armed forces, technically far more advanced than Col. Gadhafi’s.

At the same time many in the EU (and in Canada) see themselves, socially and morally, even economically, as an alternative beacon to the “shining city on a hill”.  But when something military may be required EU members (as a Union, as part of NATO, or in some coalition of their own) are unable, unprepared, and ill-equipped in fact to do much of anything on their own.

There are relevant colloquial phrases: talking the talk or walking the walk; all hat and no cattle.  As for Canada, consider the unfolding of our Afghan military mission and our humanitarian frigate somewhere near, or even in, the Med.

Give the Americans a break...

Mark
Ottawa

Sean, consider the following:

The Canadian Forces are pretty much at max capacity now with just one battlegroup deployed in Afghanistan. Where is the manpower and logistical support for a Lybian adventure going to come from? Since the Canadian public isn't exactly brimming with enthusiasm over our efforts to build schools, establish civil infrastructure and civic institutions and protect the rights of women and children in Afghanistan (to the extent the NDP have called us war criminals in the past and the Legacy media ignored the completion of a two lane highway, 4000 micro loans and a project to make the hospital in Kandahar city more hygienic in my tour alone), where is the public support for intervention?

Come to think of it, in the 1930's, people were willing to go fight for what the thought was right (see the International Brigades. Canadian Communists raised one for the Spanish Civil War). Where are the people lining up to "do the right thing" in the absence of State action?

The answers add up to a big "no". We have no resources, nor the public support (which IS what political will actually is) to do so. There may be even worse consequences down the road if we don't intervene (see up thread), but for now the Canadian and world public seem willing to accept the risk. The real world sucks. Deal with it.

Is sean m concerned to the death over Cote d'Ivoire?
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-03/14/c_13778314.htm

Why not? No TV? Not a nice world out there, keep those national interests (however calculated) in mind.

sean m: What about those thousands killed by India in Kashmir?  There are, one supposes, foreign (and defence) policy, er, trade-offs for Canada--as well as those stemming from emotion and lack of knowledge.  Tough world in reality:
http://unambig.com/kashmir-and-the-great-game-and-double-standards/

Mark
Ottawa

Lorne Gunter, in the Full Comment section of the online National Post, is critical of President Obama's action, or rather inaction, towards Libya. It is reproduced under the Fair Comment Provisions of the Copyright Act.

Lorne Gunter: After Libya, Western credibility is shot

Lorne Gunter  Mar 16, 2011 – 12:14 PM ET | Last Updated: Mar 16, 2011 12:35 PM ET

All hail the glorious ruler

It’s said that Teddy Roosevelt used to enjoy quoting  a West African saying, “Speak softly, but carry a big stick.” To the extent that the current U.S. president, Barack Obama, has a foreign policy doctrine, it would have to be the exact opposite, “Shoot your mouth off, but carry no stick whatsoever.”

Just look at the disaster the U.S. and the Western allies have created in Libya.

In early March, Mr. Obama insisted that the murderous Libyan strong man, Col. Muammar Gaddafi, “step down from power and leave” Libya immediately. Everyone, including Gaddafi, thought that meant that if he didn’t depart, the U.S. was prepared to use some level of force to make him go. Shortly after the president utter his threat, it was reported that Col. Gaddafi was trying to negotiate his exit with the rebel forces that, at that time, seemed certain to depose him.

But then there was no no-fly zone imposed by the U.S. or NATO. And there were no arms shipments to the rebels. A few automatic weapons and some grenades might have tipped the balance in the war.

The U.S. and its allies have aircraft carriers and air force bases within easy striking distance of Libya. With little effort (and little risk to their flyers), they could have pinned Col. Gaddafi’s jets on the ground and silenced his anti-aircraft batteries. They likely, too, could have restricted his use of helicopter gunships.

Imposing a no-fly zone had European and Arab League approval. It’s true the two major multilateral organizations the U.S. wanted to sign-off on no-fly before it put it a zone in place — the UN Security Council and NATO’s governing council — are both still dithering over whether to approve such a move. But independently, the French, the Brits and the Arab League have nodded their support.

No one would have truly complained. There may have been some public posturing against U.S. Imperialism and the usual rot by leaders in the Arab world and elsewhere, but privately, almost no one likes Gaddafi — not even his fellow Arab leaders. So there would have been little real opposition to a U.S. move.

But President Obama is the new Jimmy Carter — a sanctimonious do-gooder, who makes all kinds of high-toned moral pronouncements, but then never follows through. He did the same when Iranian protesters threatened to overthrow the mad mullahs of Tehran in the spring of 2009. He wished them well, then abandon them to the thugs and guns of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, whose blatant theft of a democratic election had sparked the protests in the first place.

Mr. Obama might be forgiven for missing his opportunity in Iran. After all, he was new in office then. But he is two years into his job now, and Libya was a much cleaner opportunity. It’s easier for U.S. forces to get to than Iran and far less capable of throwing up resistance to U.S. military efforts.

Even the ouster of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak shows Mr. Obama’s fecklessness, in a way. Had Mr. Mubarak not chosen to go on his own, he might still be in power. He didn’t have the army on his side — as Col. Gaddafi appears to — but then the Egyptian protesters didn’t take up arms, either, as their Libyan counterparts have.

My point is, nothing Mr. Obama did seems to have decided events in Egypt. The Egyptians took care of their own problem. Had it been left up to the American president, Mr. Mubarak might well have chosen a Gaddafi-like crackdown and succeeded in keeping power.

It is said that the U.S. has faltered because as bad as Mr. Gaddafi is, the Obama administration feared the rebels might well have been worse; they might have turned out to be extreme Islamists who are pro-al Qaeda.

That’s certainly possible. But it’s hard to see how they could have been much worse than the Colonel, who at one time was a more enthusiastic sponsor of anti-Western terrorism than even Iran.

Whatever their intent, the rebels might have been grateful to the West, too, for helping free them from a corrupt and brutal dictator. At the very least, having seen Western might used against their foe, they may have been reluctant to test that might again by permitting their country to become a staging ground for terror attacks against Western targets.

The problem now is that no one in Libya feels any gratitude towards the West. And no one around the world fears the Americans.

Both the rebels and Col. Gaddafi will be angry with the West, especially the United States. And no one in any other country will take American threats or pressure seriously. American pronouncements about democracy and freedom and free and fair elections will be assumed to be just so much hot air.

The world may moan about American unilateralism. The French may sniff, and the Brits and Germans and others may wring their hands about American disdain for the UN and other international collectivist organizations. Still, everyone looks to follow the American lead. If the U.S. takes a firm stance and backs its up, others fall into step. They may not always like it, but they do it. And there is a certain stability in international affairs that comes from U.S. clarity and decisiveness.

Now, thanks to Barack Carter, we’re back to the point where the worst, most vehemently anti-Western elements feel emboldened. Meanwhile, moderate and pro-Western elements are afraid to stick their heads up because they are justly concerned the Americans won’t back them up. Iran has been lost for a generation thanks to Jimmy Carter’s unwillingness to stand up for moderate, democratic forces in the face of Ayatollah Khomeini’s Islamic revolution. Now in Libya and elsewhere there is a real chance of a repeat under the vacillating Mr. Obama

HMCS CHARLOTTETOWN is now officially fighting terrorism:

Operation SIRIUS
http://www.cefcom-comfec.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/ops/sirius/index-eng.asp

Funny, I haven't seen the Colonel's gov't or military added to this list:
http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/prg/ns/le/cle-eng.aspx

Mark
Ottawa

Arms export "Oops!"‏--I'm assuming the horrid source is actually right:

Canadian-made armoured vehicles enter Bahrain
http://www.ceasefire.ca/?p=7585

Mark
Ottawa

Nobody is going to intervene in Libya, if the French, Italians, and Brits were really serious about a No-Fly Zone they would have done it themselves, its basically in their backyard.  Fact is, the US along with every other Western country is trying their hardest to extract themselves from a long standing war, not start a new one.  With the precarious economic situation the United States and many other nations (Great Britain) find themselves in, more foreign wars and interventions is something Western governments are going to look to avoid.

milnews.ca said:
Arms export "Oops!"‏--I'm assuming the horrid source is actually right:

Canadian-made armoured vehicles enter Bahrain

It appears the move got ALL PARTY support in 1991 - kinda hard for the opposition to complain now, eh?

milnews....are you discussing a potential "Opposition Party" complaint.....or "opposition" by some blogger who hates all Conservative party defence acquisitions...such that he'd base his scandal-mongering headline on a ceasefire.ca article?  ::)

Shame he doesn't realise that Bahrain...unlike Libya....matters.

link

TRIPOLI/BENGHAZI (Reuters) - Libyan troops pushed forward toward the insurgent stronghold of Benghazi on Thursday and launched air raids on its outskirts as Washington raised the possibility of air strikes to stop Muammar Gaddafi's forces.

But the international debate on what action to take may have dragged on too long to help the anti-Gaddafi uprising, now struggling to hold its ground one month after it started.

Libyan state television said government troops had taken Zueitina
, an oil port on the coastal highway 130 km (80 miles) from Benghazi, but the rebels said they had surrounded the pro-Gaddafi units on the approaches to the town.

Similarly, a rebel spokesman denied a state television report that government troops were on the outskirts of Benghazi itself, the city where the revolution started.

However, residents of the city and a rebel spokesman reported air strikes on the outskirts, including at the airport. Libyan state television had said earlier that gunfire and explosions could be heard at the airport.

Clashes around Ajdabiyah, a strategic town on the coast road, killed around 30 people, Al Arabiya television reported.

On the approaches to Ajdabiyah, burned-out cars lay by the roadside while Libyan government forces showed the foreign media artillery, tanks and mobile rocket launchers -- much heavier weapons than those used by the rebels.

In Libya's third city, Misrata, about 200 km (130 miles) east of Tripoli, rebels and residents said they were preparing for a new attack by Libyan troops, who had shelled the coastal city overnight. A government spokesman said Gaddafi's forces expected to be in control of Misrata by Friday morning.

The United States, previously cool on the idea of a foreign military intervention, said the U.N. Security Council should consider tougher action than a no-fly zone over Libya.

"We are discussing very seriously and leading efforts in the Council around a range of actions that we believe could be effective in protecting civilians," U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice said in New York late on Wednesday.

"The U.S. view is that we need to be prepared to contemplate steps that include, but perhaps go beyond, a no-fly zone."

Washington had initially reacted cautiously to Arab League and European calls for a no-fly zone over Libya, with some officials concerned it could be militarily ineffective or politically damaging.

Diplomats at the United Nations told Reuters that the United States, Britain and France now supported the idea of the council authorizing military action such as air strikes to protect civilian areas.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she hoped the Security Council would vote "no later than Thursday."

She said Gaddafi seemed determined to kill as many as Libyans as possible, and that "many different actions" were being considered.

Russia, China, Germany, India and other council members are either undecided or have voiced doubts about the proposal for a no-fly zone. Italy, a potential base for military action, ruled out military intervention in the oil-exporting country.

A U.S. official said he could not confirm any discussion of a plan to attack Libyan forces. In theory, he said, military action could be directed not only at Gaddafi's air force, but at artillery and communications systems too.

The U.S. change appeared to be driven by the worsening plight of the rebels, who are fighting to end 41 years of rule by Gaddafi and have set up a provisional national council in Benghazi.

Their ill-equipped forces have been routed by troops backed by tanks, artillery and war planes from towns they had seized in the early days of the uprising.

ARMY ADVANCES

Gaddafi, in an interview with the French daily Le Figaro, said his troops' aim was to liberate the people from "the armed gangs" that occupy Benghazi.

"If we used force, it would take just a day. But our aim is to progressively dismantle the armed groups, through various means, such as encircling cities or sending negotiators."

Asked if dialogue with the rebels was possible, he repeated his assertion that they were linked to the al Qaeda Islamic militant group.

"These are not people with whom we aim to talk, as al Qaeda does not talk with anybody."

On the fate of the rebel leadership, he said: "It is quite possible they will flee. Anyway, it's not really a structure. It has no value."

A statement on Al-Libya state television told people in Benghazi that the army was on its way.

"It urges you to keep out by midnight of areas where the armed men and weapon storage areas are located," it said.

One civilian reached by phone from Tobruk, Hisham Mohammed, said: "People are okay here. There is a bit of tension, a little fear of air strikes, but most people are fine."

Two aid agencies -- the International Committee of the Red Cross and Medecins Sans Frontieres -- have withdrawn their workers from Benghazi due to safety concerns.

BENGHAZI AND TOBRUK ROADS

The exact state of affairs in Ajdabiyah, 150 km (90 miles) south of Benghazi on the Gulf of Sirte, was unclear on Thursday morning. Parts of it appeared to have changed hands several times in the past 48 hours, a recurring feature of the war for control of the towns strung along the North African coast.

Osama Jazwi, a Benghazi doctor, said that when he left Ajdabiyah late on Wednesday, rebels had controlled the city and fighting was still going on.

At one point, Gaddafi's forces had cut the road from Adjabiyah to Tobruk, but then rebels cleared them from it.

But another civilian in Benghazi, who asked not to be named, said Ajdabiyah had fallen.

"I know people there. There are many people leaving Ajdabiyah, coming through Benghazi and heading for the border."

(Additional reporting by a Reuters reporter in Benghazi, Michael Georgy in Tripoli, Mariam Karouny and Tarek Amara in Tunisia, Louis Charbonneau and Patrick Worsnip at the United Nations; Editing by Giles Elgood and Kevin Liffey)

sean m said:
Considering the fact I am 21 I feel that I am more learned in terms of what is going on in the world, and can review in practically is better than most of my peers.

I think that out of all your posts, this one bothers me the most and I'll tell you why.

If you are, as you state, more learned in terms of what is going on in the world than your peers at the age of 21, then they might consider you to be a leader.  This means that they may look at your opinion as "gospel truth", and think that it's the only true accurate reflection of the situation.

If that is the case, then you should really ensure that you don't speak out about things which you don't understand fully* and when you post on websites like this unless it first involves reading everything and developing a deeper understanding not only of the topic at hand but the history and relevant situations which can be used to defend your viewpoint.

If this isn't done, then as one other poster said, we really are screwed.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-pushing-air-strikes-no-fly-zone-libya-20110317-100831-148.html

A change of tune: US now pushing for a no fly zone, and airstrikes on Ghadaffi's forces.. This ought to be interesting,  :pop:

New York Times

March 17, 2011
U.N. Approves Airstrikes to Halt Attacks by Qaddafi Forces
By DAN BILEFSKY and KAREEM FAHIM
UNITED NATIONS — The United Nations Security Council approved a measure on Thursday authorizing “all necessary measures” to protect Libyan civilians from harm at the hands of forces loyal to Colonel Muammar el-Qaddafi.

The measure allows not only a no-fly zone but effectively any measures short of a ground invasion to halt attacks that might result in civilian fatalities. It comes as Colonel Qaddafi warned residents of Benghazi, Libya, the rebel capital, that an attack was imminent and promised lenient treatment for those who offered no resistance.

“We are coming tonight,” Colonel Qaddafi said. “You will come out from inside. Prepare yourselves from tonight. We will find you in your closets.”

Speaking on a call-in radio show, he promised amnesty for those “who throw their weapons away” but “no mercy or compassion” for those who fight. Explosions were heard in Benghazi early Friday, unnerving residents there,  Agence-France Presse reported.

The United States, originally leery of any military involvement in Libya, became a strong proponent of the resolution, particularly after the Arab League approved a no-fly zone, something that Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton called a “game changer”

With the recent advances made by pro-Qaddafi forces in the east, there was a growing consensus in the Obama administration that imposing a no-fly zone by itself would no longer make much of a difference and that there was a need for  more aggressive airstrikes that would make targets of Colonel Qaddafi’s tanks and heavy artillery — an option sometimes referred to as a no-drive zone. The United States or its allies might also send military personnel to advise and train the rebels, an official said.

In the most strident verbal attack on Colonel Qaddafi to date by an American official, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said Thursday that the Western powers had little choice but to provide critical military backing for the rebels. “We want to support the opposition who are standing against the dictator,” she told an applauding audience in Tunisia on Thursday. “This is a man who has no conscience and will threaten anyone in his way.”

She added that Colonel Qaddafi would do “terrible things” to Libya and its neighbors. “It’s just in his nature. There are some creatures that are like that.”

The Qaddafi government responded to the potential United Nations action with threats.

“Any foreign military act against Libya will expose all air and maritime traffic in the Mediterranean Sea to danger and civilian and military facilities will become targets of Libya’s counter-attack,” it said in a statement carried on Libyan television and the official news agency, JANA, Reuters reported. “The Mediterranean basin will face danger not just in the short-term, but also in the long-term.”

More at LINK

Back