• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Except it will be treated like any purchase in the US. While CBA doesn't usually bother with vehicles built in tanks, they will not look at that one as part of the vehicle. This means that, unless you can prove to them (either with a customs unbroken seal or a signed and stamped custom statement obtained at the time you left Canada), they will assess a levy on it to cover all Federal and provincial taxes, including excise, gas taxes and the carbon tax. If you fail to declare, they will also impose penalties - just like anything else.

There are no provision that exempt oil/gas/petroleum products from import duties.
If it's plumbed in, it's part of the truck. They have no way of knowing the amount of gas I had when I crossed over compared to what I have coming back. I haven't seen or know of a single person required to seal or sign a declaration. This isn't something new. People do it every day. Nobody, to my knowledge, has ever had a problem. Come over with Jerry cans, that's different. Either way, it's not the first time I've had two tanks and I'm satisfied with the way its handled, by CBSA, here.

Lumber, I really do appreciate you man.

We tend to look at political issues from very different perspectives. And while political topics tend to get heated or snarky fairly quickly, you always seem to keep a level head & make sound points, and take the time to explain your perspectives even if they go against the grain. So cheers to that 🍻

You've posted a few things in the recent past that I've meant to comment on, but the day has slipped away on me...I think if we took a big step backwards & looked at the REALLY big picture, we actually probably agree on more than it seems we do here in the forum.

Look, I don't totally disagree with you in principle, but I can't not call out hyperbole when I see it.

You're saying NONE of the following was truly intended to help Canadians? I think you might be letting more recent legislation that was enacted in a very tone deaf manor might be clouding your perception.

Canada Child Benefit Act.
Pay Equity Act.
EI Parental Sharing Benefit.
Legalized Cannabis.
Reduced small business federal tax rate from 11% to 9%.
Canada Workers Benefit Act.
Dental.
Pharmacare.

Allow me to clarify some things before I continue...

There are good Liberal MP's who work hard to do what's in the best interest of their constituents, and I respect them.

There are good people who were involved in drafting some parts of the legislation you mentioned, and I respect them too.

I imagine the working class people that get the dry & unrecognized work in government did so with the very best of intentions, and genuinely created it in the way they thought best served Canadians - and I sincerely respect their efforts also.

My criticism of our government lies purely with Trudeau, Freeland, and a few senior cabinet officials.

My criticism is NOT towards the folks behind the scenes that work hard, are enthusiastic, albeit perhaps naive - or the MP's that are down to Earth and work hard on behalf of their constituents, regardless of their party.

It's the key leaders in our government that draw my criticism, and to be honest, my downright hostility.

So with that said...

No, I don't believe any legislation passed by this government has ever been for the genuine benefit of Canadians - and quite often I find the legislation is detrimental to the national interest.

With the exception of legalizing Marijuana (which the government benefits from greatly via tax revenue) I find every single piece of legislation this government has passed has served one of 5 purposes...

- Take as much money out of the pockets of Canadians as possible.

(An ever increasing carbon tax, higher income taxes, deferred eligibility for CPP, and monetary policies that keep inflation high. So many clear examples, I'm thinking I don't need to expand too much on it)

- Limit what Canadians can read and/or say online via internet censorship legislation.

(Bill C-11 was touted as being all about promoting Canadian content to the press & the people, but in reality the bill didn't mention a single word about Canadian content even once...curious what the final version of the Online Harms Bill will contain.)

- To massively increase the size of the federal government & all the expenses that come from that

- To centralize power in Ottawa

- To bankrupt the country funding a ton of programs that act as a bandaid for problems caused by Trudeau & Freeland In the first place

I don't know a single person that only pays $10 a day for daycare. But I know we as a country must be paying a lot of money to subsidize daycares now.

The cost of paying for such an expanded government work force is sitting at around $20 billion annually...thats $20 billion just to pay for the expanded government, in addition to the costs the government already had.

i dont know a single person that gets more money from the carbon rebate than they put in. The cost of administering the carbon tax alone is now sitting at $200 million...

$200 million dollars to take your money from you throughout the year, only to give you most of it back come tax time... sheer f**king lunacy

Nobody was ever going to get a carbon rebate for more than they paid into it. That was literally idiot math & a snake oil salesmen scheme to try to trick people into supporting the idea

We already have pharmacare in the sense that drug prices are regulated & subsidized. The Pharmacare bill isn't even a thing - it looks like a bill, but all it does is promise to discuss the idea in the near future. As far as I can see, there isn't anything of substance in it yet.

(Medications here cost a fraction of what they do in the US. For the odd person that requires a rare or unique medication thats cost prohibitive, there are pathways to ensuring they have access to it regardless, etc)

Most people already have a dental plan through their employer or health insurance.

For low income folks who need a dentist, most dentist offices have payment options & can link people to different programs - Alberts Works, for example, can assist people with getting dental care arranged.

For dental emergencies one can also always go to their local hospital. Hospitals do offer treatment & care for dental emergencies, and its from some of the same dentists you'd get a cleaning from...

(I had a tooth somehow cracked & come out halfway through Topgun Maverick, and had to go to the hospital right after the movie. Ended up getting treated by my own dentist, just at the hospital, and it didnt cost me a dime)

Crime is up across the board because of policies that pretty much guarantee people will be released on bail, even when they clearly shouldn't be.

For just one example of how this affects all of us, higher car insurance rates...despite not having any tickets or accidents, I pay more now for car insurance than I ever have in the last decade!

The national debt has doubled under Freeland, and currently sits at $2.14 trillion. .
That is up from the $1.1 trillion debt they inherited.

They've added more money to our national debt than all previous governments combined - the servicing costs on that will prevent that same money from being used things that could actually help the country

*Editing this post for length (I already wrote a novel once for this post and deleted it because it was way too long, and now I've done the same again...

I don't see a single thing that this government has done or is doing that is improving our lives from where they were at when Stephen Harper was PM.

Can anybody name a single part of our lives that were crappy under Harper but are now so much better under Trudeau? (Not including violent criminals, that is...)

I'd take a time machine back to when Harper was the PM any day. When we weren't all paying for other people's kids daycare, imaginary pharmacare, no mandatory vaccinations that were rushed & experimental, no internet censorship legislation, no freezing people's bank accounts, no labeling legitimate protestors as terrorists a media that didn't get a government subsidy in exchange for favorable coverage, a MAID program that was there to help those terminally ill & not as a recommendation if someone has a mental health issue (52,000 people killed & counting), when budgets were balanced & the government had a surplus, when I didn't pay a carbon tax, and we were all a lot less financially stressed, all of us had hope regardless of what our ambitions were, when I wouldn't be labeled as a bigot for asking why there's a fucking drag queen reading stories to little kids, and when the country's morale was a whole lot higher.

Oh yeah...one more thing...

The carbon tax has collected approximately $32 billion dollars since it first came into affect...yet this year we are running a deficit of roughly $40B.

Next year, in 2025, Freeland has "confidently stated" that she will "try" to keep the deficit at only $25B. (Ha! Only...)

My question is - where the f**k is all our money going? (Am I legit missing something?)

Also...Justin's net worth in 2016 was approximately $3.2 million, but now he's worth an estimated $97 million (as of the end of 2023) That's just a wee bit fishy, no?

Sorry, I thought I'd posted this week's ago. Feel free to ignore, time has moved on

Also...Justin's net worth in 2016 was approximately $3.2 million, but now he's worth an estimated $97 million (as of the end of 2023) That's just a wee bit fishy, no?
I find that truly suspicious and I hope Pierre P when, not if, elected does then launch inquiry after inquiry into ALL the Trudeau scandals.

If Trudeau flees the nation and refuses to come back from his soon to own private island, well I am sure this nation has the resources to ensure his attendance at said inquiry

I find that truly suspicious and I hope Pierre P when, not if, elected does then launch inquiry after inquiry into ALL the Trudeau scandals.

If Trudeau flees the nation and refuses to come back from his soon to own private island, well I am sure this nation has the resources to ensure his attendance at said inquiry
PP has a net worth of 25 million from that same source. No inheritance and no PM salary. Coming from humble means and has never been anything but a politician. Would you call that suspicious?

My question is - where the f**k is all our money going? (Am I legit missing something?)
Payments to bond holders. The federal government has run an operating surplus (revenues less expenses, not including cost of servicing debt) since about 1987, with only 3 or 4 exceptions (for the post-2008 economic action plan, and for COVID spending). We borrow to cover the cost of borrowing.

PP has a net worth of 25 million from that same source. No inheritance and no PM salary. Coming from humble means and has never been anything but a politician. Would you call that suspicious?
1. Did he go from $16 M to $97 M while in office over an 8 year period?
2. Knowing PP, he usually has his numbers squared away and I will be my net asset of a loonie at present that he be more than willing to explain and show where his income and assets come from.

Trudeau? Come on, YOU damn well know he couldn't defend himself on that (unless he spends a couple of million on a small army of lawyers)

One advantage to growing up in a small town is that every town with a Canadian Tire feels like a big city! 😁
Smallest Canadian Tire: Nipigon ON, 3000sf retail, 8000 sf all-in.

If it's plumbed in, it's part of the truck. They have no way of knowing the amount of gas I had when I crossed over compared to what I have coming back. I haven't seen or know of a single person required to seal or sign a declaration. This isn't something new. People do it every day. Nobody, to my knowledge, has ever had a problem. Come over with Jerry cans, that's different. Either way, it's not the first time I've had two tanks and I'm satisfied with the way its handled, by CBSA, here.
Perhaps so, but I don't get your math. A savings to be sure, but I don't get $270/load.

1. Did he go from $16 M to $97 M while in office over an 8 year period?
I don’t for a second believe those numbers nor the source. For either him or PP
2. Knowing PP, he usually has his numbers squared away and I will be my net asset of a loonie at present that he be more than willing to explain and show where his income and assets come from.
I don’t know him. I’ve met him and conversed with him twice. Glad you do. I’ll take your word for it.

Like I said. I don’t believe those numbers. What sources do you have on his wealth?

It will be interesting to see what happens after 1 Apr when the federal gas tax holiday ends, and the next increase to the carbon tax hits. Should be something on the order of 0.14 per litre overnight.
I don't know about the rest of Ontario/Canada but here in Kingston the gas prices have already gone up from $1.41/L to about $1.55/L, approx. 15 cents increase. Add on next weeks increase of .11 cents and we have an increase of about .26 cents per litre!

Very convenient that gas companies increase the gas prices prior a major government tax increase.

Like I said. I don’t believe those numbers. What sources do you have on his wealth?
Gotta ask @CBH99

I really got to ask you. Do you not ever put down the binos and have a clear look at Trudeau? The overall man? You usually seem pretty quick to defend or deflect criticism away from him. Why?

Perhaps so, but I don't get your math. A savings to be sure, but I don't get $270/load.

5 litres per gallon
75 gallon transfer tank and 20 gal fuel tank = 95 gal = 475 litres
Current fuel price $1.50/ltr plus April Fools @ 00.15 = $1.65 CAD
Current price in Detroit $1.07/ ltr CAD
475 ltr x $1.65 = $783.75 CAD
475 ltr x $1.07 = $508.25 CAD
Difference of $275.50

Gotta ask @CBH99

I really got to ask you. Do you not ever put down the binos and have a clear look at Trudeau? The overall man? You usually seem pretty quick to defend or deflect criticism away from him. Why?
Go back and read my stuff. I rarely defend him. I do however try counter BS and disinformation.

Enough with the bino or bias crap you lecture others on and accusations when things don’t match your opinions. I don’t like Trudeau. I’ve repeated more than I care to here that he needs to go.

I don’t even see where in this case I actually defended him. I questioned the source of his purported wealth and net worth. Now take a look at your reaction to that.

Go back and read my stuff. I rarely defend him. I do however try counter BS and disinformation.

Enough with the bino or bias crap you lecture others on and accusations when things don’t match your opinions. I don’t like Trudeau. I’ve repeated more than I care to here that he needs to go.

I don’t even see where in this case I actually defended him. I questioned the source of his purported wealth and net worth. Now take a look at your reaction to that.
In regards to the "BS and disinformation" claim. No offence, but thats what we hear the Trudeau Liberals say the exact same thing. And then it comes to life time after time that they have done the very things they are accused of. See a pattern.

In relation to Trudeau's personal net worth (or alleged net worth) that seems like a VERY large amount and seems very suspicious.

Touched a nerve did I? Good. I am an asshole and a loud mouth. But I have been hollering foul about Trudeau and his Liberals since 2016, when many people were excusing his inexcusable actions back then. Had more Canadians spoke up and spoke out, his political career would be history by now.

Just because someone you don’t like says something is BS or disinformation doesn’t mean they’re wrong. One still needs to prove that they are wrong. Sometimes these clowns actually tell the truth.

Anyways, here is a great podcast with Eric Grenier and David Coletto of Abacus doing a deep dive into the changing coalitions at the federal level. It is fascinating stuff.

Just because someone you don’t like says something is BS or disinformation doesn’t mean they’re wrong. One still needs to prove that they are wrong. Sometimes these clowns actually tell the truth.

Anyways, here is a great podcast with Eric Grenier and David Coletto of Abacus doing a deep dive into the changing coalitions at the federal level. It is fascinating stuff.

I will listen to that tonight

In regards to the "BS and disinformation" claim. No offence, but thats what we hear the Trudeau Liberals say the exact same thing. And then it comes to life time after time that they have done the very things they are accused of. See a pattern.
Sure. Both sides need to be called out when they do it. No offence taken.
In relation to Trudeau's personal net worth (or alleged net worth) that seems like a VERY large amount and seems very suspicious.
Are you still believing the numbers? Again what is your source?
Touched a nerve did I?
No.
Good. I am an asshole and a loud mouth.
Also no. At least not from my perspective. Just a little boring when you have posted about political biases and political discourse and research etc and then post thing like you did.
But I have been hollering foul about Trudeau and his Liberals since 2016, when many people were excusing his inexcusable actions back then. Had more Canadians spoke up and spoke out, his political career would be history by now.
Or if the opposition had been serious and actually focused maybe his career would be over now. But they were more concerned about rumours and his hair rather than serious issues.

Eric Grenier is always a great source of anything stats. Too bad some dismiss him as a liberal shill when they were polling higher or when he appears on the CBC.

Re: Trudeau's net worth, interesting article from the before times here:

Key points rough numbers:
950k in stocks from PET inheritance as og August 2011
~600k in real estate sale gain mid 2010 (my estimate, conservative)
777k semi in Mont- Royal (80% mortgage ) mid 2010

Putting the stocks into an S&P 500 index with reinvested dividends and holding the house of the end of 2023 (not accounting for tax or cash re-balancing)
  • Montreal real estate has doubled -> 1.5m
  • the PET portfolio would be worth 4.7m
  • the money invested from house proceeds would be worth 3.3,

So a 9.5m dollar net worth, following a complete couch potato approach, giving no allowance for
-prior investments (article declares 750k in speaking fees in 06,07)
-continuing investments (MP salary + housing allowance followed by PM salary with housing provided)
-his money managers outperforming an index
-non stock ventures with active and passive returns (any one doubt that he's built a real estate portfolio?)
-leveraging his assets invest on the margin

97m would be eyebrow raising, but there's also zero reason to believe its an accurate number. That he's in the 8 figure territory is in no way surprising or suspicious. We've always know that he's completely out of touch with the average Canadian's financial reality- and the last decade has been fantastic for the wealthy to get wealthier

His (lack of) character and actions speak for themselves- there's no need to bite on outrage bait.

Back