• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

That is what I suspect it was for as well. But I also suspect (not really hard detective work though) the CPC really really wants an election right now. But was in poor form for PP to not actually be present for the vote. Not that it will matter in the larger scheme.

I don’t think it’s a case of mental gymnastics for them. They are pro environment but it likely that more than few are under pressure from their constituents.

Ya PP should have been there, no contest.

I watched some stuff on CTV and CBC and they, the NDP, are laughable at this point. They will openly criticize the LPC and their plan and then support them because CoNsErVaTiVeS BaD.

They are pro environment but it likely that more than few are under pressure from their constituents.
There aren't really any anti-environment parties. There's just a lot of disagreement about where to sit on the spectrum between a lifeless rock and a pristine state of nature with a few hunter-gatherers with lifespans of about 40.

There aren't really any anti-environment parties. There's just a lot of disagreement about where to sit on the spectrum between a lifeless rock and a pristine state of nature with a few hunter-gatherers with lifespans of about 40.
I had people from the international LNG business tell me that the Harper era regulations for environmental reviews were the most stringent they had met globally. As predicted, there are almost no new major projects started under JT new environmental regs.

Norman Spector on X
TRUDEAU'S PREPARING FOR THE WORST

The Election Act provides for elections on the third Monday in October every four years. Under the law and rules known to everyone, the next elections were to be held on October 20, 2025.The Election Act provides for elections on the third Monday in October every four years. Under the law and rules known to everyone, the next elections were to be held on October 20, 2025.Except there's a “catch”.

The 2019 elections (which were called early) were held on October 21 that year.This poses a small problem for MPs, because they get a pension for life after six full years... the election would be held a day too early for those who were elected in 2019.By proposing to change the date of the next elections from October 20 to 27, 2025, Trudeau is guaranteeing a lifetime pension to all MPs elected in the 2019 elections. A pension to which they would not be entitled if he followed the rules.

On the sly, without any warning, Trudeau is trying to stack the deck.The Liberals pretend this change of date is due to the religious festival of Diwali... It's a funny argument, because they could just as easily have brought the elections forward rather than postpone them. Moreover, during the last election, they argued that citizens whose religious festival was held at the same time as the vote simply had to take advantage of advance voting!

This maneuver reveals everything about the state of mind of Trudeau and his gang. They fear the worst and, based on the polls at least, they are right.

There is nothing more important in politics than the confidence of the leader and Trudeau, let's be clear, has never lacked confidence in himself.

This is the first time I've seen him prepare for a defeat. This will quickly be decoded by his own troops, the very ones he is, on the contrary, trying to help by being considerate with regard to their pensions.

As I understand it, more Conservatives than Liberals will benefit from the change. Then again, the Conservatives will be elected in 2025 and the Liberals won’t.

The Cons would be very smart to play this to the max, perhaps even pledge to reneg on the pension and use every power available to Parliament to change the law to 12 full years of service before any vesting- and make it retroactive to the date that Trudeau changed the law. Or, go full Ontario and ditch the MP pension plan and replace it with RRSP like Mike Harris did.

As I understand it, more Conservatives than Liberals will benefit from the change. Then again, the Conservatives will be elected in 2025 and the Liberals won’t.

The Cons would be very smart to play this to the max, perhaps even pledge to reneg on the pension and use every power available to Parliament to change the law to 12 full years of service before any vesting- and make it retroactive to the date that Trudeau changed the law. Or, go full Ontario and ditch the MP pension plan and replace it with RRSP like Mike Harris did.
Too many career politicians. Will never happen.

Pierre Poilievre once advocated for a two term limit on federal politicians. Until he became a two term politician and decided he didn’t like that idea.

2 Term Prime Minister, I could support that.
Max 8 years in any combination of Cabinet Posts. Allows someone to have up to 16 years in the Executive cabinet but only 2 terms as PM.

And as unpopular as it is, it’s time to ditch the GG role and replace it with something more meaningful. Enough with the unchecked power that being PM brings.

Norman Spector on X

The Election Act provides for elections on the third Monday in October every four years. Under the law and rules known to everyone, the next elections were to be held on October 20, 2025.The Election Act provides for elections on the third Monday in October every four years. Under the law and rules known to everyone, the next elections were to be held on October 20, 2025.Except there's a “catch”.

The 2019 elections (which were called early) were held on October 21 that year.This poses a small problem for MPs, because they get a pension for life after six full years... the election would be held a day too early for those who were elected in 2019.By proposing to change the date of the next elections from October 20 to 27, 2025, Trudeau is guaranteeing a lifetime pension to all MPs elected in the 2019 elections. A pension to which they would not be entitled if he followed the rules.

On the sly, without any warning, Trudeau is trying to stack the deck.The Liberals pretend this change of date is due to the religious festival of Diwali... It's a funny argument, because they could just as easily have brought the elections forward rather than postpone them. Moreover, during the last election, they argued that citizens whose religious festival was held at the same time as the vote simply had to take advantage of advance voting!

This maneuver reveals everything about the state of mind of Trudeau and his gang. They fear the worst and, based on the polls at least, they are right.

There is nothing more important in politics than the confidence of the leader and Trudeau, let's be clear, has never lacked confidence in himself.

This is the first time I've seen him prepare for a defeat. This will quickly be decoded by his own troops, the very ones he is, on the contrary, trying to help by being considerate with regard to their pensions.

GIF by Super Troopers: Original GIFs

So, Trudeau is working to ensure those soon to be unemployed CPC members will be looked after when he wins his majority. Very magnanimous of him.

Norman Spector on X

Fuck the Liberals and electric car they drove in on.

They gamed the system in 2021 with an election that did not need to happen and now they want to game it again to reward (at taxpayer expense) their MPs?

Assholes.

2 Term Prime Minister, I could support that.
Max 8 years in any combination of Cabinet Posts. Allows someone to have up to 16 years in the Executive cabinet but only 2 terms as PM.
You have me with you here.

And as unpopular as it is, it’s time to ditch the GG role and replace it with something more meaningful. Enough with the unchecked power that being PM brings.
Here is where you lose me.

The GG has the Reserve Powers (withhold or refusal of Royal Assent(veto), porogation or dissolution of Parliament, and the dismissal and appointment of the Government) to check the power of the PM. Its defined in a Letters Patent from George VI date 1947.

The problem is that the position of Governor General is no longer apolitical, as it is filled by former members of the political class. Take a look at all the Canadian GGs, post-Vanier: All career politiicans, academics, or media personalities with ties to the PMs who recommended them. Would you bite the hand that fed you? No.

This is why the position used to be filled by the Aristocracy in days of yore. The interests of the Crown are apolitical, so someone far removed from those parties would execute the duties of that office as such.

My caveat for GG would be that all future appointments must not have held political office prior to appointment.

Last edited:

As per the above article, probably most of the people I know are either very slightly left of centre or very slightly right of centre. Yet it’s been years since either party has occupied a truly centrist position. Somehow both parties, with the help of strong lobbyists, have allowed the extremes to hijack many of the important platforms and to re-position far away from centre. The LPC is definitely tired, too smug and too corrupt to continue representing the interests of Canadians. Trudeau is a joke…a bad joke at that. But Poilievre is all over the place and I trust him even less than fancy socks Justin. At least Justin tells you he’s going to screw you and then proceeds to do it with gusto.

The lack of what I call a responsible, viable political position for either party is proving to be a sad time for Canada and Canadians. I yearn for the days when people like Louis St. Laurent and Brian Mulroney (neither of them perfect) were leading the country or people like Robert Stanfield were in responsible positions as leaders of the opposition. Until a party can successfully address the hopes, fears and interests of the vast majority of Canadians we’ll continue to be screwed.

You have me with you here.

Here is where you lose me.

The GG has the Reserve Powers (withhold or refusal of Royal Assent(veto), porogation or dissolution of Parliament, and the dismissal and appointment of the Government) to check the power of the PM. Its defined in a Letters Patent from George VI date 1947.

The problem is that the position if Governor General is no longer apolitical, as it is filled by former members of the political class. Take a look at all the Canadian GGs, post-Vanier: All career politiicans, academics, or media personalities with ties to the PMs who recommended them. Would you bite the hand that fed you? No.

This is why the position used to be filled by the Aristocracy in days of yore. The interests of the Crown are apolitical, so someone far removed from those parties would execute the duties of that office as such.

My caveat for GG would be that all future appointments must not have held political office prior to appointment.
I would totally be in favour of making members of the Royal Family far from the immediate line of succession into GGs an LGs. Get it away from the political hacks, bagmen and other rent-seekers.

Nothing stopping us from going back to it.
Plenty. Imagine the uproar over going back to a more colonial stance. Quebec would have a fit as usual but it would push anti monarchist feelings even further towards republicanism.

I’m fine with having Canadians. But maybe I would be a bit less political about who is picked and how.

Any it has really brought an air of smugness nepotism dignity and Canadian unity to the Office, hasn't it?
Like I said, I would change how they are picked. Imagine Prince Harry and Megan Markel or maybe some obscure duchess/baroness languishing in some obscure castle in England. We don’t need that. I am all for recognizing our British roots. But we don’t need to go back to us depending on them for a representative of the head of state.

Vincent Masse, Vanier, Michener etc. All good. Recent picks though have been based on political choices and identity politics.

Just remove the selection process from the politicians and figure out a better nomination process.

Back