• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Good grief, that’s embarrassing to watch…

Especially that tie....

I Dont Like It Amazon Studios GIF by Harlem

Wow. That is some kind of awful.
But not the end of the world. I saw a terrifying fact on an Ottawa newscast last night during a segment about Brian Mulroney. It was stated that in the 1984 general election, Mulroney entered the race at 19% in the polls. By running a skilled and disciplined campaign, he won a crushing majority.

Trudeau's forté is campaigning. The difference now is that Canadians have already had a taste of life under Trudeau, which they did not have with Mulroney back in '84.

But not the end of the world. I saw a terrifying fact on an Ottawa newscast last night during a segment about Brian Mulroney. It was stated that in the 1984 general election, Mulroney entered the race at 19% in the polls. By running a skilled and disciplined campaign, he won a crushing majority.

Trudeau's forté is campaigning. The difference now is that Canadians have already had a taste of life under Trudeau, which they did not have with Mulroney back in '84.
I didn’t invent the the saying but I have said it: campaigns matter.

I didn’t invent the the saying but I have said it: campaigns matter.

And we all know Conservatives just love self immolation. They have a knack to wounding themselves.

And we all know Conservatives just love self immolation. They have a knack to wounding themselves.
They certainly can, although Poilievre is not a Scheer, and one would hope that the Chinese interference in the 2025 election will not be an issue.

You're correct. I find the Cons just do it in ways that cuts off voters, where the LPC does is in a way just makes them hold their noses.

Here's hoping.

It's more of a media/LPC collaboration on influence thing then CPC screwing up. "Look a right winger wants to take away your abortions!"

To be fair, they usually take the bait in the trap laid out before them.

Stick to the issues at hand, don't let the SoCons out of their cages, and the election is in the bag.
And don't assume you're setting a trap.

"I know, let's challenge him to a boxing match."

Every proficient statesman in a democracy first has to be a good campaigner. But not every good campaigner has to be a proficient statesman. The sorting filter is backwards. Not much we can do about it.

So looks like PP will introduce a confidence vote on the Carbon Tax.

Interesting play, I think it really targets the NDP.
The confidence motion is theatrics of course, I’m just not sure who precisely is supposed to be sitting in the cheap seats. I can’t tell if it’s just preserving momentum on the carbon tax issue, or if he thinks there’s additional outstanding support to be gained this way. I don’t think the NDP will feel any real chagrin at this; they’re still getting what they want out of the arrangement.

The confidence motion is theatrics of course, I’m just not sure who precisely is supposed to be sitting in the cheap seats. I can’t tell if it’s just preserving momentum on the carbon tax issue, or if he thinks there’s additional outstanding support to be gained this way. I don’t think the NDP will feel any real chagrin at this; they’re still getting what they want out of the arrangement.

Sooner or later they will have to face the voters.

Perhaps there is LPC dissent that are now willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater in hopes of hanging on to their seat post Trudeau.

This is win/win for PP.

Perhaps there is LPC dissent that are now willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater in hopes of hanging on to their seat post Trudeau.
I’m thinking along those lines generally, but I don’t believe we’d see that manifest in a surprise confidence vote rebellion within his party. They’d keep it in house and deal with it within the caucus to present a more dignified retirement rather than the very public fictionalization and fracture. I do agree though that so many LPC MPs stand to lose what should be very safe ridings, that a caucus revolt is on the table as a possibility.

But a lot can happen in a year and a half. We may still be too far out for anyone to be willing to commit to that yet.

Or do the LPC roll the dice, realizing that the reapportionment of the House as of 22 April will be even less favorable, decide to get the writ dropped the day after the budget on 16 April, keeping the current seat distribution, and running based on a budget they know will never be actioned that makes promises to every possible group?

Every proficient statesman in a democracy first has to be a good campaigner. But not every good campaigner has to be a proficient statesman. The sorting filter is backwards. Not much we can do about it.
Campaigning won't save him. I truly believe your gonna see a repeat of the Kathleen Wynne slaughter at the polls.

Back