• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training, Tech to Prevent Accidental Discharges?

Hey there Red 6.
For "ranges" there are many levels, from introductory shoots to collective shooting (live fire attacks, and the like)
For the intro shoots, yes, they are tightly controlled.  You file by, get your ammo, go to the firing point, load and ready on command, fire on command and so forth.  Having said that, regardless of the level of the range, once all is said and done, we unload and then clear weapons on order, and all are checked by a NCO (usually the section commander, or "squad leader" in US terms).

Off topic, speaking of "Squad Leader", check out the link on my profile.  It's my main hobby.

von G out.

Von: Thanks for the intel. I just shot a PM out to you.

Mark

+1 to what Von G said.

At the early stages of trg, weapons and ammo are tightly controlled.

Once you get to a unit that is training for something (like, oh say,  a deployment to afghanistan) and higher level collective training, personal and platoon weapons are readied at the start of the scenario, and that state is not changed unless there are targets that need engaging or the scenario ends.

As these ranges get progressively more complex, incorporating indirect fire, heavy weapons, both mounted and dismounted, and various other systems, such as grenades, mines, rockets, demo charges etc, the responsibility is that of the soldier, not the staff, as they cannot watch everyone all the time.

Safety remains a priority while allowing realistic training to take place much of the time, whereas at the school, the mission itself seems to be safety, with realism a distant second.

Back