• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Top 15 Quotes of Prince Philip

namal24

Inactive
Reaction score
Prince Philip is married to Queen Elizabeth II of England, making him the Duke of Edinburgh. He is quite famous in Britain for making some rather embarrassing, though often funny, comments. This is a list of fifteen of the best.

1. China State Visit, 1986

If you stay here much longer, you’ll all be slitty-eyed.

2. To a blind women with a guide

“Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?”

3. To an Aborigine in Australia

“Do you still throw spears at each other?”

4. To his wife, the Queen, after her coronation

“Where did you get the hat?”

5. When asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union

“The bastards murdered half my family”

6. To a Briton in Budapest

“You can’t have been here that long - you haven’t got a pot belly.”

7. To a driving instructor in Scotland

“How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?”

8. After the Dunblane shooting

“If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?”

9. To a student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea

“You managed not to get eaten, then?”

10. To Elton John after hearing Elton had sold his Gold Aston Martin

“Oh, it’s you that owns that ghastly car - we often see it when driving to Windsor Castle.”

11. On the London Traffic Debate

“The problem with London is the tourists. They cause the congestion. If we could just stop tourism, we could stop the congestion.”

12. To the President of Nigeria, dressed in traditional robes

“You look like you’re ready for bed!”

13. Unknown

“If you see a man opening a car door for a woman, it means one of two things: it’s either a new woman or a new car!”

14. On key problems facing Brazil

“Brazilians live there”

15. To the matron of a hospital in the Caribbean

“You have mosquitos. I have the Press”

Phillip... always good for a quote

Carry on!

I have always had a good giggle at the prince.  I love how he follows the queen with his hands behind his back and the smirk.  You know he's up to something.

Supposedly said, ""If it has four legs and is not a chair, has wings and is not an aeroplane, or swims and is not a submarine, the <snip> will eat it."
He has a private pilots licence. Reportedly his passengers ask for a good stiff drink prior to landing.  ;D

Originally posted here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23081/post-168654.html#msg168654
Liked it so much, it's my sig.

This was back in Aug. '83 during the Regimental Centennial celebrations.  Naturally, as Col.-In-Chief, H.R.H. Prince Phillip was on hand for the Trooping of the Colours and all the other parades that were going on at CFB London at the time.  After one parade on the base, there was a meet-and-greet set up in tents in front of the officer's mess, one Coy. per tent, and a tent for the band (where the beer was.)    ;D

As Prince Phillip approached the beer band tent, we formed up, were brought up to the chow, and H.R.H. began moving down the front rank, shaking hands and, well, being the Prince.

My contribution to the occasion was entirely forgettable, (I stammered "Five years, Sir!" in response to his question to me,) and then he moved on to the man at my left.

On my left was Cpl. Brendan, er .. O'Bloggins.  Born in Northern Ireland, O'Bloggins had a certain attitude towards anything even remotely English.

So the Prince, oblivious to this, asked the next question on his "innocuous questions to ask while meeting troops" list, which was:

H.R.H.:  "And where are you from, Corporal?"

O'Bloggins:  (Kind of takes a breath while his right eye goes all sort of squinty, and says in a thick brogue.)  "Belfast, Sir!"

Without missing a beat, the Prince replies:

H.R.H.:  "Well, next time you go home, you had better wear your iron knickers."

Not entirely charmed, O'Bloggins replies, "Aye." (pause) "... and you too, Sir."

H.R.H.:  " ..... "

He doesn't miss much,

Also from 1983, at some point shortly after the London festivities there was a freedom of the city or something similar that was outside Ottawa City Hall and I attended with ML in full CFs etc etc. Afterwards there was a reception hosted by the GG at Rideau Hall and we decided to crash the party and have a few on  Ed and Lilly.

It was in the Tent Room as I recall we had a few when Phil the Greek stepped up to us and said words to the effect "I say what are you doing here being Corps types". I do grant the man credit for IDing Log collar dogs. We both stated we were "Friends of the Regiment" or something similar (actually ML was ex RCR). He said 'Jolly Good" an continued on his way. We wondered if we were going to be doing 30 days each for being there but nothing ever was passed back to Pet.

I think that list of quote forgot to include "British women can't cook." My fav of the Royal Family though is Princess Margaret's comment to the mayor of Chicago Jane Byrne who was 100% Mick, "The Irish are all pigs". This was  shortly after Mountbatten's assassination, but not the thing to say given the audience.

It was kinda neat being in the ranks of a Royal Honour Guard mounted for him at RMC in 1980; he did not stop to chat but I still remember what he was saying to the CWC when he passed in front of me "You tell me your Band is all cadet volunteers, most excellent" . Don't think I would volunteer for it today however. I still remember the RSM warning us within an inch of our lives to leave his flag alone during the visit as he had decamped at the deChastelain's overnight and it was flying on the Comdt's flagpole.

Back