• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Too Big/Tall for Armoured?

tango22a said:
Perhaps we should emulate the Russians and just recruit people under 5ft 8in for the RCAC.....J/K of course!!

tango22a

PROMOTIONS!!!

tango22a said:
Perhaps we should emulate the Russians and just recruit people under 5ft 8in for the RCAC.....J/K of course!!

When I joined the emergency services you had to be over 5'8" and 160 lbs. Years later that became a real "hot potato" with the human rights people, and they were not joking!  ;D

-Skeletor- said:
Well technically the Bison is essentially the same vehicle as a Coyote, with some exceptions(turret, no ramp, etc)

Well technically....nope. On the surface they look somewhat similar but that's where it ends.

The Coyote has a totally different hull design and power pack/ transmission combo. Batteries are in a different configuration as are the fuel cells. Bisons also have a trim vane and propellers for an older model, stowage bins for the newer mod. The charging system is completely different as well.

...an the driver area is the same in the Bison an Coyote is it not? 

As for the drivers station, wrong again. There is a 10 year gap between the technology of the Bison and the Coyote driver's panels including the digital enunciator panel, removable steering wheel, tall Kevlar seat back, digital HUD for driving hatches up, electric high idle. Then of course there is also the CBRN kit right behind the station as well.

Then there is the rear compartment for the Surv Op and all the clag that gets squeezed into there.

An isn't the Coyote one of the main vehicles in the Armoured Trade ! (I can do exclamation points aswell)

Yes.

Also, do you or do you not have TLAVs in the Armoured units? Pretty sure I've seen atleast the LdSH with some.. so that would be another vehicle a Trooper can drive in their career, etc

Yes, there are TLAVs and LAVIII in Sqns. For the most part they fill either the role of the OC/ SSMs carrier or LO's vehicle. TLAVs are normally given to the maintainers for their MRTs.

Now getting back on to the thing about height. I had a gunner on the last tour who was at least 6' 4 and he could get himself into his gunner's hole in either a Leo 2 or Leo C2 with flak vest and helmet with no problems. Mind you my knees were constantly digging into his upper back.

Regards

Hmm.. apparently I was given bad info...  an I look like tool now  yay 

Thanks for the correction.

-Skeletor- said:
Hmm.. apparently I was given bad info...  an I look like tool now  yay 

Thanks for the correction.

If you ever get the chance, take a few minutes and check one out....if there is a crew there that's even better. There's usually a good Dog and Pony given during CF day.

Get them to show you the 4 stations and I'm sure they'll go into detail on how the vehicle is operated. You're not the first to believe bad information (taken on good faith) on the Coyote platform.

Hell, I've even heard some good one's from troops in the Corps and had to correct them.

Regards

ALWAYS REMEMBER:  DO NOT traverse the Coyote turret MORE than SIX (6) revolutions to the LEFT or it will unscrew and fall off!! CONVERSELY DO NOT traverse the Coyote turret MORE than SIX (6) revolutions to the RIGHT or the turret will LOCK in place and become unusable!!

Cheers,

tango22a

P.S. : Stolen from AVGP Operators' Manual (with apologies to Skeletor......I must have been listening to the same wrong sources...AGAIN!!)

RE: Reply #47

I was told this by a certain RegF WO (admittedly with a twinkle in his eye) in '81 while taking my TQ2 Gunner's Course.

tango22a

tango22a said:
RE: Reply #47
I was told this by a certain RegF WO (admittedly with a twinkle in his eye) in '81 while taking my TQ2 Gunner's Course.
tango22a

Only one way to find out. Did you? Inquiring minds want to know!  ;D

NOPE!.... took his word for it since he was a real switched-on soldier.....with a great sense of humour....hehehe!!

tango22a

MM: I suppose I COULD have tried.... but if the WO was correct I would STILL be at Wainwright trying to remount the turret..... MAYBE this would have been a good thing!

t22a

Now......Back in 1976, when we had a great number of Foreign Nationals (FNs) on Phase Trg, there was a Mr Dingah who was told that if one were to traverse the turret 15 times to the right, then 12 times to the left, and then another six to the right, the Centurian turret would pop off for maintenance.  One night in the Leaguer the Fire Picket heard a noise and when they went to investigate, it was Mr Dingah trying to see if he could get the combination right.  True story.

this is a good thing for me...i was always wondering with me standing at just shy of 6'2"...love tanks but they arent the whole picture..... we'll see how things go  and ill take what get given...

AndyRad said:
this is a good thing for me...i was always wondering with me standing at just shy of 6'2"...love tanks but they arent the whole picture..... we'll see how things go  and ill take what get given...

Thats the attitude.
I cant speak for what happens after Afganistan and the career progression,however right now a driving position is a position held for a very short amount of time.There was a time where being a driver for 4 years was normal,and you moved from positions within the troop according to seniority.
Usually the troop leaders driver was a very experienced driver (2-3 yrs) as was the charlie driver.A and B had the least experienced driver as those two crew commanders developed their drivers for future movement into a C or T c/s.

This produced very good drivers with tons of experience.It also aided the Corp when these people moved onto gunner,loader,C/C positions as they had a very excellent working knowledge of the Hull portion of the vehicle.

After the driver time was done they were usually moved into the gunner position and began the journey around the C/S's again.This developed their working knowledge of the turret,and with their background they aided in driver maintenance as part of a cohesive crew.

Soon enough they were put into the loaders hole where they could see the bigger picture.See whats happening on the ground better from a view like the C/C.They aided the C/C by monitoring the radios etc.Again the seniority of positions played again,Charlie and troopie getting the most experienced.The troop leader's Loader was on the cusp of being a Mcpl,thus soon becoming a charlie.

(UFI:the German army does it totally different in that the 2 I/C of the tank is the Gunner.It was explained to me by their SSM that the way they look at it if the C/C bites it the gunner can just push him up and out and take control.He also said word to the effect of "the loader puts bullets in the gun...a monkey can do it ...note our loaders provide much more than a conscript putting a bullet in a hole)

And then of course everyone bumps up again where you have a charlie commander who has 3-4 years as a driver 2 or so years as a gunner 2 years as a loader then he gets his own C/S.

This is how it use to be (for the most part).The corp had very competent C/C who knew each job inside out and could solve problems a new gunner or driver couldn't.Thus making the Crew more efficient.

Right now you may find yourself a C/C within 4 years.We are shooting ourselves in the foot.While I do agree I could have easily commanded with 4 years experience,I couldn't have assisted my crew with problems that arose as my corporate knowledge of the fighting vehicle would ave been very low.

All I can say to you all is take what ever course you can,learn and remember.Become buddies with Maintenance and LEARN from them.We were timing injectors as troopers....try and find tank drivers who can do that nowadays.
And of course the corporate knowledge is at the Snr NCO level (for the most part)now and the Mcpl's have the knowledge of what troopers did 8 years ago when it comes to vehicle knowledge.(and I've seen some VERY stupid stuff that the C/C should have been able to rectify..but lacked the knowledge to do so..as did his/her very young crew.

IIRC the driver restrictions were directed by the German army training center.IIRC if you are over 5' 8" they will not take you to train.

Sorry...that drifted off didn't it? ;D

"EITS - Thats a common answer when I tell that story.  There were lots of offers to get the individual BLOCK so She could reach the pedals. "

This thread has focused on how tall is "too tall"... so I have to ask, what is too short? (I'm 5'3", all legs...am I ok, or doomed?)

I would say there is only one way to be sure, and thats try.  I know many ladies who drive.  The one in particular that was too short was 4'9"ish.

I wouldn't worry about driving as a potential Armour Officer one day.  Your height will always ensure your neck is well below the turret ring... always a good thing when you are getting lit up.

Maverick894 said:
I wouldn't worry about driving as a potential Armour Officer one day.  Your height will always ensure your neck is well below the turret ring... always a good thing when you are getting lit up.

That is pretty low.  Not exactly where I would like to find an officer.

at least he didn't say curled up in a ball rocking and humming....!

Back