• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Too Big/Tall for Armoured?

Ah it is good to be short some times I'm 5'7 and find it uncomfortable in the Coyote/LAV turrets, especial with ballistic vest and plates on. But I got lots of head room in the Tanks  ;D

I'm 6'2" and had a bitch learning casualty extractions from the Leo, much less sitting in some of the positions...I had my knees up around my ears in the gunner's station.

As Tetragrammaton said, I'd also be worried about whether or not someone will have to grease the cupola ring to get you out of the hatch in a hurry.  I used to have to go refresh AFV commanders on emergency casualty extraction at CTC - there were a few that had some abrasions on their tummmies because the belly size to hatch circumference ratios weren't in their favour, especially the Coyote.

MM 

Hi everyone,
I'm currently going through the recruiting process and was wondering if I'm too big for armoured. I've talked to a friend who's a mechanic at Borden and he seemed to think I'd have a tough time fitting into LAV's and C2's. I stand 6'5 and weigh in at around 285, I'm an offensive lineman so I think I have kind of a muscular fat guy build. Will I fit into vehicles?
Tanks a lot for your help guys

My buddy is 6'8 and weighs like 270lbs and is an armoured officer in the strathcona's.  Have no idea how he does it but he manages so you can def do it.

You are to tall to drive leopard II or at least the the A6Ms don't know if that precludes you from the trade.

Like I used to tell my Armoured  friends (do I actually have any?)....."the tank doesn't care if you are carrying an extra 50 lbs" :)

We have guys as big as you in the trade. Maybe even bigger. I cant speak for tanks, but if nothing else you will be a dismount.

Besides.. were getting TAPV soon... Room wont be so much of an issue forRecce in the years to come.

KerryBlue said:
I stand 6'5 and weigh in at around 285,

This discussion may be of interest to you.

Armour > Too tall for drivers seat?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/89141.0

I was going to post this in the "too tall for armour" but a warning thing said to start a new thread since it was 365 inactive.

I met a ex-cf guy the other day and we had a good chat about my trade choices.
He commented that I was too big for armour and should go engineer. 6'2 245lb cut to 230 comfortably losing muscle past that.

That being said will that effect my career progression in armour in and of its self?
If so I had combat engineer as one of my choices and they only interviewed me for armoured. (I'm not complaining, I was content either way)
Do they not take stature into consideration when picking suitability for trades? 
On a side note why does the recruiting website say firefighting is a related civilian trade? 3-4 crew aspect?  [:(

Sometimes it makes sense to post in an old thread.

kungfupanda said:
I was going to post this in the "too tall for armour" but a warning thing said to start a new thread since it was 365 inactive.

I use this Sticky, posted by a Moderator in Admin, as my guideline,

Necroposting - Not always a bad idea 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/87278.0

kungfupanda said:
On a side note why does the recruiting website say firefighting is a related civilian trade? 3-4 crew aspect? 

Firefighting, like Crewman, is teamwork on specialized fighting ( war / fire ) heavy vehicles. We had a Captain, and four Firefighters, per truck.

kungfupanda said:
I met a ex-cf guy the other day and we had a good chat about my trade choices.
He commented that I was too big for armour and should go engineer. 6'2 245lb cut to 230 comfortably losing muscle past that.

Was this guy a former armored soldier? Or just talking out his ass? While I am not Armoured, I am posted to an Armoured unit. I am 6'3" and see plenty of guys taller than me around the unit.There are also quite a few dudes with significantly more girth than me.

I don't think the driver's hole of an E-LAV (armoured Engineering vehicle) has that much more room than a TAPV/LAV 6/Leopard 2 (the vehicles Armoured units will employ by the time you arrive).

He said he had done 4yrs infantry/10yrs carpentry.

I have seen lots of examples in this thread of taller people doing the job.
I doubt there is a statistic for this, do tall people have higher attrition rates in armour? If they do and it's do to wear and tear is there any advice or go to tricks for guys coming into the trade that you guys can offer?

Thanks in advance either way going to stay the course, just curiousity driven now.

kungfupanda said:
He said he had done 4yrs infantry/10yrs carpentry.

I have seen lots of examples in this thread of taller people doing the job.
I doubt there is a statistic for this, do tall people have higher attrition rates in armour? If they do and it's do to wear and tear is there any advice or go to tricks for guys coming into the trade that you guys can offer?

Thanks in advance either way going to stay the course, just curiousity driven now.

There is a lot of wear and tear in many Trades.  Infantry has been known for knee injuries.  Older Tankers have compressed discs due to track vibration over long periods of time (years).  Engineers have injuries from lifting heavy weights.  Cooks have hearing loss due to working around high pressure steam lines.  Firefighters have their own set of physical or health issues from heavy lifting to toxic fumes.  Every Trade has its own set of possible health issues or injuries. 

Advice?  Be physically fit.  Take care of your health.  If you are ill or injured, don't push it -- take the time to heal.  Know and follow all safety protocols. 

KNOW your own family history.  If you are tall, and most in your family are, and many suffer from "basketball knees"; then you are likely to have knee problems.  A lot is genetic. 

Back