• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Those of us returning from summer courses...

• Thread starter Thread starter ninty9
  • Start date Start date
N

ninty9

How was it?

I myself just got back yesterday from my BMQ/SQ courses in Lethbridge. I must say it was quite an experience. To fire the C7, C9 and C6 we went out to Kipp range about 20 minutes away and did our ex for BMQ there.

For our SQ ex we went up to Waneright, which was great as well.

Tyhe only problems I had with the course was limitations on weapons, such as we only had 8 C9‘s to practice on and fire, 10 C6‘s to practice on with no training rounds whatsoever even though we had to lug 4 of them around waneright and 4 Carl G‘s for a platoon of 47 recruits. It was mighty difficult to get time to practice on each weapon so you knew what you were doing for your PO checks, but we managed.

Another thing was the gas hut. It was supposed to be done on BMQ but we couldn‘t and pushed it back to SQ and then we couldn‘t get a SME to get us in the hut so we didn‘t do it at all.

In Lethbridge we got to stay in the LCC dorms, which was cool, but may have been a disadvantage from barracks as for standards and such.

Anyone going to Lethbridge to train in the future should have a good time.

I just got back from my SQ/MQ + a 4 day ex with my unit. I have to say the SQ I was on was awsome...training with the C9,C6, ‘nade, Carl G. The MQ was sweet to...mostly in the fact that it made me a gunner.

I have to say I agree with you on the point about PO checks though. The only thing that saved us ( section ) was the fact that our 2ic decided to help us and sign out the weapons so we could practice after the training was done for the day.We did have practice rounds for the C6 but most of the time the rounds and links got damaged which caused many stopages ( which I guess ain‘t bad for a course teaching ). I can‘t remember how many times my C6 could only be half-cocked because of a damaged link.If you think training time is bad for SQ though you should see the arty course.Doing things ( hands-on ) at most maybe twice before the test..

It‘s a shame you didn‘t get to do the gas-hut. Definitly one of the best times i‘v had...next to maybe firing the howitzer and the carl g.

All in all a great summer, starting school in a couple days. Lookin‘ forward to a warrior weekend comming up..

One thing I forgot to mention was that since we wern‘t on base we couldn‘t take the weapons out of the armouries, therefore the only hance we had to practice was during the day. But everything worked out in the end. Definitely a blast.

Hey guys,

Got back from my BMQ/SQ about 2 weeks ago from good ol Shilo, Manitoba dust capital of the world.
Had an awesome time we got to do everything. C-7, C-6, C-9, grenades, gas huts, nav ex, field ex ( slept in a trench for 4 nights because there was too much poison ivy for hoochies.) Gotta love it when a trench collapses on you when you‘re sleeping in it :) We did have a shortage of blanks for the field ex and only had like 180 rounds per person but it was all good. Already back in school and going back to unit next weekend so life is good.

Cheers

Just got back from my SQ a few days ago, we didn‘t even get blanks because of the fire index.

We pretty much just yelled "BANG! BANG BANG!"

I am glad to hear that you new guys enjoyed your summer training. I sincerely hope that you will stay the course; the start of the training year in your units will present new challenges - it‘s always disappointing to see the recruits from the summer before melt away as the year goes on.

No blanks because of fire index? Do I smell bull****?

And next time for firing ‘mo‘litia rounds for the C9, it‘s buh buh budget cut. ;)

No bull****. I was one of the people who had to sadly load all our blanks back into the truck to be shipped off.

We have an extremely high fire index in BC right now.

I did my SQ in Waneright and they were basically throwing blanks at us, as well as arty sims T-Flashes and smoke grenades. They said they would have used more pyro if the index wasn‘t so high. It was pretty dry up there and we still used it all. It must be really bad next door.

There were also a few of my course mates who are leaving very soon to fight fires in BC. they asked for volunteers at the end of my course. They‘re on Class C contract until Sept 21. More of us would have gone, but its too much school to miss. There were actually some schools making deals with the gov so that there could be a way for the reservists to go and still beable to fininsh their school work.

I just got home from my BMQ/SQ course on the 28th, and I can truly appreciate how much of a dusty hellhole Dundurn SK is. :warstory:

My final SQ exercise was good, but the fire index prevented us from using arty sims, t-flashes, flares etc... :(

We did get blanks though...lots of blanks. Then, last EX day, our warrant told us to gather up all of our (freshly unloaded) remaining ammunition, and empty it the fastest way possible....on fully automatic.

Your point about training time on the weapons was good, but for our course, the problem was the BMQ C7 test, where people failed it because they only tried loading a magazine by hand once before.

I Just Completed My Sq And My Ql3 (Section Member Course) In Cfb Gagetown The Sq Was Phenominal

Lots Of Ammo Alot Of Weapons Experience The 5 Day FTX was **** Though Rained For 5 Days Put about 5 Inches of Water in Our Trenches Alot of people Got There Feet Eaten Apart

Ql3 Was A Different Story Though For Anyone Who is Going To Join The Engineers Or Is Going To Do There 3‘s Get used to Pushups Running And Lepoard Crawling And If your Going To Sleep In Tents For 6 Weeks Bring Cough Medicine Cause Shack Hack Will Get You

yeah i was in gagetown for a week this summer sleeping in mods. rained the whole time man did that ever suck

Your point about training time on the weapons was good, but for our course, the problem was the BMQ C7 test, where people failed it because they only tried loading a magazine by hand once before.
A few people failed the mag loading as well on my course because I think we only had 89 dummy rounds for the entire course of 55 to practice on. But the instructors knew this and were pretty leanient on the way they scored us. I‘s under 55 seconds right? I took the test and I know I was above that, cause I screwed up on a couple of the rounds. At least 60 or 65 seconds it took me I bet. It was only my second time loading manually. My sec commander said it was close enough though. :D

Well, I recently got out of Wainwright from the PLQ course (formerly the JLC/JNCO). I got medically RTUd for a broken ankle, but on my course the fire index was so darn high, that we were allowed NO pyro, blanks, ball or ANYTHING. Since I spent a few days in the course CQ waiting for the paperwork, I heard the instructors talking about how they had all the ammo and pyro waiting for them, it WAS allotted, but we just weren‘t allowed to take it out.

It reeked of budget cuts to me too, but it was quite legitimate.

Oh yeah, the PLQ sucks serious @ss. Totally not what I expected, and not something I‘m looking forward to having to go back to complete.

Yes, I‘ve heard some bad things about new PLQ.

Apparently they lumped every trade together; combat arms, log, medical, whatever.

So they had to dumb down some things (like when will a log do section attack).

Two guys from my unit who completed it wasn‘t very impressed.

I‘ve heard some pretty nasty things about the new PLQ as well (mainly due to Arty ncos on an infantry course and a lack of proper planning). But I highly disagree with the statement "when will a log (logistics?) ever do a section attack?"
Before Infanteer opens up on this statement, let me take a crack at it. Suppose immediate reinforcements are required in combat, who do you think will fill this role? Ever heard of the term "soldier first"? A soldier‘s job is to fight, regardless of MOC. I‘m sure even Michael Dorosh could give some examples in history of where this occurred as well, eh Dorosh? Try the US Marines where everyone trains as an infanteer first. Or maybe Heinlein‘s Starship Troopers where "everybody jumps, everybody fights." One EME (remustered from infantry) I worked with actually refused to wear certain types of workboots while on operations cause, if the s*** ever hit the fan, he didn‘t think he‘d be able to run around and fight properly while wearing them. That‘s the type of attitude the CF needs in all arms, and those are the type of support guys I‘d gladly fight along side any day.

I also disagree with the statement "when will a Log ever need to do a section attack". I think that the whole idea of the BMQ/SQ course is great. Ensuring that ALL soldiers, regardless of trade have the skillset of an basic infantry soldier is a FABULOUS idea.

However, the problem with the PLQ course is that you get a bunch of WOG trades who have never, ever, ever participated in a section attack, fired a machine gun, or know how to spell "reconnaisance". These people are now expected to lead a section attack with no prior knowledge of infantry skills. There‘s a massive gap of knowledge, because all of the non-combat arms type have never been through the SQ course, so most of the infantry skills are brand new to them. Often times, the first recce patrol a WOG might do would be leading one on their PLQ. For the next few years, there‘s going to be a noticeable gap in skills, until the kids who HAVE completed the SQ catch up and start doing the PLQ. It sucks, but it‘s something that‘s going to have to be addressed and dealt with.

know how to spell "reconnaisance".
Two "s"es in reconnaissance, combat_medic. :D

As for Logisticians having to do section attacks throughout history? Not really - if it comes to that point, you‘re pretty much screwed anyway.

In 1944 they did begin remustering clerks, artillerymen, and various others into the infantry and they were found to be deficient in basic skills. Some infantry entering the line in 1944 and 1945 had never seen a grenade or fired an LMG. Common-to-arms training would have prevented this, so I agree that it is a good thing. If nothing else, it gives the weapons tech, clerk, or whatever an appreciation for what is going on at the sharp end - our true raison d‘etre. I certainly admire the infantry guys in my unit and consider myself lucky when I get to walk a patrol or man a defensive position with them.

It‘s a good idea in theory. Needs practical work.
I‘ve heard of (and spoken with) a lot of people who passed because their instructors said "ya whatever you pass". I think it‘s a great idea to have support trades better trained combat wise (even though i‘m sure it will never be needed) The army has to work on making people actually earn the course though.

And wheres the pity for those of us still on course, april 22 to september 26 is a long time ;)

Back