• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

This pissed me off...

• Thread starter Thread starter R. Jorgensen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

R. Jorgensen

Today, I had a lovely conversation with an American (you'll find out how I could tell he was American) and there were some things he said that pissed me off. The conversation was about several books that I was considering purchasing, religious, and political views.

Here it is:

Man A: "Do me a favor and stay out of my country."
Jorgy: "I have a passport, I can come and go as I please."
Man A: "Then pray (like a Marxist prays) that we never meet again." -> I mentioned I was a strong believer of Marxism
Jorgy: "I don't pray, it doen't solve anything." -> I grew up in a religionless family, I know people who are VERY religious and it's ruining our relationship.
Man A: "Neither does the Canadian military, but you still wear their uniform." -> Mild pissed off-ness
Jorgy: "That's what you think, you need to do some research."
Man A: "Why? Canada means absolutely nothing to me. They're just wannabe Americans with bad attitudes." -> Heightened level of pissed off-ness

I realize there is nothing I can do, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I thought it was just something people would like to know about our "beloved neighbours." The Canadian Military doesn't solve anything...

-Jorgy

I don't get it.  Was this on a phone?
And what's this about you having a uniform? Your profile says your a civy.

Cadet Sergeant  :-[

This was a 3-way phone conversation with my brother aswell; he wasn't too impressed either.

I know I shouldn't have, but I poked and prodded at him:

Jorgy: "The Canadian Military doesn't solve anything eh? Do you have any proof?"
Man A: "You tell me, eh?"
Jorgy: "You're the one who's making the assumption that we don't solve anything, I say bullshit, so you need to have proof to support your thesis."Man A: "Come on high school kiddie.... tell me what the big bad military forces (aka Canadian girl scouts) have done? Can you do it or are you just blowin' sunshine up my arse?"

Honestly, this is just another debate over politics.  It would have ended the same the guy was American, Swedish, Thai, or another Canadian.

Since this was a three-way phone conversation, I'm really curious as to what the context was.

I had simply called my brother, who's taking courses at UCLA, to find out how he's doing and such; he wanted me to meet his friend, well, I had carried out a conversation with my brother whilist he listened on. Unaware of his remaining presence on the line; his argumentative, aggresive "americanism" unleashed when I mention the ridiculous dispute over same-sex marriage (Prop Eight) and it went downhill from there.

R. Jorgensen said:
Jorgy: "I have a passport, I can come and go as I please."

In whose country were you? His?

In that case, you cannot "come and go as you please" just because you hold a passport. You have no right to enter any country but your own.

And when one is a guest in somebody else's country, one should behave as such. Disagreement is fine, but one should do so politely.

I have encountered at least as many "Ugly Canadians" as "Ugly Americans".

Loachman said:
In whose country were you? His?

In that case, you cannot "come and go as you please" just because you hold a passport. You have no right to enter any country but your own.

And when one is a guest in somebody else's country, one should behave as such. Disagreement is fine, but one should do so politely.

I have encountered at least as many "Ugly Canadians" as "Ugly Americans".

I was here in Canada, but has stated he does not want me to enter his country, USA. To tell you the truth, I've been to the US of A several times the last couple weeks, machined and raw steel is REALLY cheap inexpensive  ;) down there. The Boarder Control Officers only asked for my passport and receipts.

For the most part you will find the US military likes the CF or at least the US Army does (I have run across a split with Marines, but they are from Nam era), it's a lot of the civies that don't have a clue.

R. Jorgensen said:
... I mentioned I was a strong believer of Marxism
-Jorgy

- You are? Then why are you buying steel produced by the labour of capitalist stooges?
- I would have started pushing your buttons too, after that.  In fact, I think I'll start now...

>:D

TCBF said:
- You are? Then why are you buying steel produced by the labour of capitalist stooges?
- I would have started pushing your buttons too, after that.  In fact, I think I'll start now...

>:D

Why do think I purchase products by the labour of capitalist stooges? Because there isn't any other way to purchase these goods without becoming a thief.

Jorgy quotes:

1. " I mentioned I was a strong believer of Marxism"

2. "Why do think I purchase products by the labour of capitalist stooges? Because there isn't any other way to purchase these goods without becoming a thief."

3. "...aggresive "americanism"

:pop:

Aggressive?

Define what Americanisms are for us please. At 49, I just don't know.

We were all British Colonies once, and we are not that different form them overall.

Perhaps there is an anti-US agenda here? Anyways, just my 2 cents, and I am staying out of this. Just making an observation.

OWDU

There are more agreements of cooperation, (militarily, political, economic - you name it) than any other two countries I know of.  I would be extremely surprised if there was evidence to the contrary.  I mean when you really look at it - where is the VS in our relationship with the U.S.?  Yeah, small things here and there...

We have an intrinsic DUTY to the American people.  There are DIRECT consequences against Canada if something happened to them.  NEITHER does that have to do with wanting to be American - it is because we ARE Canadian.

What p*sses me off is this idea we are somehow measured against Americana - they have their ways and we have ours but the convergence of cooperation between the two - where it matters - is staggering.

Overwatch Downunder said:
Jorgy quotes:

1. " I mentioned I was a strong believer of Marxism"

2. "Why do think I purchase products by the labour of capitalist stooges? Because there isn't any other way to purchase these goods without becoming a thief."

3. "...aggresive "americanism"

:pop:

Aggressive?

Define what Americanisms are for us please. At 49, I just don't know.

We were all British Colonies once, and we are not that different form them overall.

Perhaps there is an anti-US agenda here? Anyways, just my 2 cents, and I am staying out of this. Just making an observation.

OWDU

Americanism - the general "Oh we are better than you attitude" and such; where people provide no evidence to backup any of their reasonings.

For instance, I had a chat with an American-born Canadian citizen on an exchange in Montreal and he said:

"We are unintelligent? What has Canada invented? How come when our economy is in trouble the whole world collapses? I doubt the same could be said for Canada. Your jealousy is only superseded by your stupidity. Canada is a bunch of weak minded fools and cowards who have never fought for anything. You let a bunch of redneck Yankees send you sorry hides back to Canada. Who are the weaklings now? Tell me again what Canada has invented besides the dump truck?"

All I did was get up and walk away. I have many friends who are American and live in the States; they are good friends and are very knowledable. I agree with what twistedcables said especially "What p*sses me off is this idea we are somehow measured against Americana."

"Perhaps there is an anti-US agenda here?"

I'm not anti-US; I just tend to interact with them as little as possible, especially the Southerners, they are REALLY bad.

R. Jorgensen said:
especially the Southerners, they are REALLY bad.

Realy ?

You know that from living there do you ?

I dont know about everyone else but i smell an idiot 

Yes, I do. I used to live in Gadsden, Alabama.

I was not very fond of the people; most of them are friendly and welcoming, but when it comes to patriotism - you can't stop them. The neighbours asked us where we were from - "Richmond B.C.; in Canada", we continued to tell them about the great things in Canada (except for the fact that my father was paid more in Alabama than he did in B.C.) and that's when the attractive wife of the Alabamanese man summoned a firestorm of hate towards us.

Clearly unprovoked.

R. Jorgensen said:
Clearly unprovoked.

I very much doubt that. I'm guessing you were being a tool and insulted people around you and that set them off.

No, I clearly remember my mother saying something about the humidity and then childcare... then healthcare and related it to the conditions in Canada. I piped in and said "I like the temperature down here, but I'm not looking forward to paying an arm and a leg for the surgery that needs to be done on my ACL" and the woman just blasts away "YOU GOOD-FOR-NOTHING CANADIANS!? You think you can just walk into our country and start spreading your blasphemous ideas among us!? Well guess what? This is America! We have rules here!"

Ever since that day the entire community hated us for some reason, I think the woman was twisting words and spreading lies.

CDN Aviator said:
I very much doubt that. I'm guessing you were being a tool and insulted people around you and that set them off.

I'm not a person who throws out insults, I used to be amazed by the USA, I wanted to live in Long Beach, it was my dream. I was finally one step closer to my dream; but that woman + the surgery costs; my dad said that living down here just for a pay raise isn't worth it, we packed up and moved into Calgary.

Forgive me if i dont take your word for it. I stand by my assesement of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back