• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thinking About A Ford???

hmmmmmm...... ;D ;D ;D

I had a girlfriend in Windsor once and lots of friends that grew up there.  I think I know where this is going!  ;) ;D

How is this bad?

My van was made in Princeton, Indiana.

Toyota Motor Mfg. Indiana has invested $2 billion in Princeton to date, to assemble fullsize Tundra pickups and Sequoia SUVs, as well as the second-generation Sienna.

The Indiana plant began Tundra production in January 1999 with a single shift and 1,300 workers. The Sequoia was added in September 2000, and the workforce swelled to 2,300. The line, with a capacity of 150,000 units on two shifts, is known as the West plant.

The footprint was doubled with the addition of the East plant to accommodate Sienna. It required doubling the body shop area, a second paint shop and second final assembly line. The Sienna line will raise employment to 4,700.

When it is time for the second-generation Tundra and Sequoia, Toyota may invest in the more flexible global line for the original section of the body shop. There also is room to expand on the 1,160-acre (470-ha) site.

The first-generation minivan was built in Georgetown, KY, but was moved to Princeton to make room for the Solara, which in turn was moved from facilities in Cambridge, Ont., Canada, that are gearing up to make the new Lexus RX 330 cross/utility vehicle. The '03 Sienna ceased production at the end of December. The plant is expected to hit full production May 1.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3165/is_4_39/ai_99747887

I'm with GerryCan, some people have luck with certain cars and others don't.  I've always had Fords until recently and they've always performed really well and I drove them into the ground.  As for Pontiacs, my husband bought a brand new Pontiac Grand Prix in 1989 and the thing needed a new clutch on day TWO!  It proceeded to go downhill from there until he just threatened to abandon it at the dealership.  He finally traded it one for one, believe it or not, for a Mazda 323 which got driven into the ground.  I have a Mazda Protege 1999 now and I love it.  I trust Consumer Reports and they didn't let me down with my little car.

It's true, some cars are just different, but automatics compared to manual is a whole different story.  When you're buying a standard car, you really need to do research on the engine and the car itself, I would never get a grand prix at all, let alone with a stick.  My mom has an automatic 1999 Grand Am GT, my father being a GM Mechanic hates it (plus it's black with charcoal interior), but I love driving it, and it's the exact same car as an Alero.  Sunfires=Cavaliers, you just really have to know the manufacturer and their cars.  When in doubt, DON'T BUY A LUMINA!  Don't get me wrong, I love the car, it drives like a dream, I've had it for a year and a half now (I inherited it when my grandfather passed away), and I have so far only had to replace the Alternator, which was the original from when it was bought in 1997 by my grandpa.  It's a boat, but the trunk is huge and fits my snowboard for those trips up the mountain, and you can fit 3 reasonably sized people in the back (my aunt uncle and cousin as it worked out, lol) comfortably!

Apart from the Big 3, I can't think of many cars that are actually built in Canada or The United States. People are easily fooled by 'Assembled' in Canada or U.S. Meanwhile all parts including engines, drivetrains etc. etc. are made in factories like KanBan in Japan which are actual sublets from the originating Company.
So you could be buying a good old Ford built by hard working Americans and Canadians just like you, that was actually built somewhere in Asia and merely assembled here at home. This way companies like Suzuki can still operate almost completely out of Japan by building all their parts there and sending them over here using the "Just in Time' Method which eliminates mass storage usage by keeping everything in motion from the factory, across the sea, in the trucks on our roads and finally into the factory in Canada.
Most of the technical work is done overseas and only put together here, which still doesn't make it at all a Canadian product.

As for the trade between the U.S and Canada in the automotive business...I think we'll all be doing just fine for years to come. The National Post stated yesterday that Ontario's automotive industry 'de-throned' Michigan last year by producing 2.7 million vehicles, over 90 000 more than Michigan. Not all of these are foreign company's, many of which are right across the border in Windsor ie; Chrysler. I know for one there is a Ford plant in my home town, 2 other plants where the frames and uni-bodies are made for a few chevy lines and the new Mustang everyones been drooling over. So that right there shows how much is going back and forth from our borders to the U.S and is ever increasing. Mexico would really have to step up it's quality side of things to beat us out right now >:D

Oh yeah, and I ended up trading in my dodgy little Focus for a 2002 Jeep Liberty and so far I am very impressed.

S_Baker said:
We will see how many manufacturing jobs ontario has when the CDN Dollar is 1.60 to the US Dollar.  ;)  Besides....I drive a 1989 T-Bird SC and a 1971 F-250 4x4 (Made in 'Merica, San Jose, CA.) 

Now THAT I don't see happening anytime soon, I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the CDN dollar lately though ;)

Alright Ford lovers......... I Couldn't help to post a few more pics of my AU-II XLS Ford Falcon '"U Bewt" Ute. Australian designed and made. AC, PB, PS, PW,SBS, plus more options. Goes like a raped ape, 157kw, 5 speed manual, 6 cyl, dual fuel (ULP and LPG) with a combined range of over 1700km. Roll bar, and lined tray with tonneau cover, Falken XR series tyres and rims.

Cold Aussie beers,

I think I'll go for a ride in it right now, ya... down to the beach  ;D

Wes

Wes,

You got the photos reversed. The steering wheel's on the wrong side!! ;D

Why get a Ford? I hear Western Star has a nice mid-sized go anywhere . . . some places truck available these days.   ;)

Wes, I was wondering, are the pedals reversed on that Aussie Ford of yours, or are they the same as here?

By the way it's -20 C in Edmonton you lucky s.o.b. - how do I join the Aussie army? ;D

There_ya_go.jpg

Thats better... ;D

Try www.defencejobs.gov.au   ;D

METREP for 12 Jan is 30-35C sunny, by Friday 37-41C sunny. Sea temp is 24C, and the local palm trees areslighty blowing in a warm tropical breeze. Right now at EDIT time of 0645 Wed is 21C, not a cloud in the sky.

As one can see (below pic) the pedals are all the same. Some differences are the turn signal indicator is on the RH side, and the windscreen wipers direction of travel is reversed. One must also shift with his LH, but that only takes a few hours to master. Overall, driving on the LH side of the road is not really a problem, or terrifiying as one seems.

I reckon I should give the beast a good 'vac' on Saturday   8).

Cheers,

Wes   PS-   A RHD version in the above pic was good for a laugh ;D

2004, Ford F-150 Super Cab (4-Door), Full Load, Leather, Sunroof, THE WORKS......FX-4 Off Road edition.......

I LOVE MY TRUCK........

5 Stars for comfort, ride and quality.......The Ford Service guys are excellent too.

TM

Wesley H. Allen said:
... One must also shift with his LH, but that only takes a few hours to master. Overall, driving on the LH side of the road is not really a problem, or terrifiying as one seems.

Well ... when I was living in England, I had to drive with my left hand on the gear shift ... otherwise, if I had both hands on the wheel going into a roundabout ... I found myself rolling down my window instead of shifting gears ... :-[

Eventually I got the hang of it ... when I was in Germany for Christmas, still driving my Brit car ... I got up one morning and started driving head-on at a BMW ... until I shook the cobwebs out of my head ... ! :o

Wes,

The car is nice and sounds even better, but posting about driving it to the beach while it's -25 in Petawawa with near 3 ft of snow is crossing the line!

My snow shovel and I hate you

Too be honest, I am soooo sun burned from Sunday. All arvo in and out of the spa, BBQ, and 3/4 of a bottle of CC ;D

And yet to think my former Tech Spt Troop are farewelling me here at my own house this Sat. More liver abuse, then pack kit and leave for Enoggera on either 30 or 31 Jan.

So, more spa'n, more CC, more snags, steaks and rissoles in a 'members only' night. Nancy has already had the WNG O to steer clear that evening.

Cheers,

Wes

Now, normally I'd be quite happy and pleasant in the lotus land that is the Vancouver rainforest....however this recent "snow storm" (or so they call it....25cm of snow in higher elevations is hardly a snow storm IMO) is making me only slightly depressed....what makes it worse is that there are places in the world that are nice and hot....and if I were there, I wouldn't be all pale and wintery!  Darn you snow!

I think it is the luck of the draw..I have seen many Toyota Camry owners trade-up after a zillion years only out of bordom, as they are pretty reliable veehicles.  We have a little Toyota Tercel hatchback, and I have to say it is one tough little car.
The electrics can be expensive.

The older Toyota pick-ups are worth gold out here on Vancouver Island..esp' diesel ones.

Wes.. nice ride, I'm envious. ;D

Cheers!
P.

My grandma has owned Corollas since I can remember, not the same one, but a few different ones.  She bought her latest one about a year and a half ago, and it's the coolest little car.  If I could, I'd probably get one, they're great on gas, and if you even think about stepping on the gas, it goes.  Cute little car!

Sort of on topic...I wonder what is going to happen to those Iltis jeeps as they get replaced?

I'm thinking one might be a nice run-about town, and the back logging roads of my area.
Any ideas?

Will they go into surplus, and be for sale to the public?

How much?

Note: personally if I won the Lotto I'd get me one of those civy G wagons by Mercedies. ;D

Cheers!
P.

C'mon Pug. You've been here long enough to know about the search function ;) There's a couple of threads on the Iltis disposal and surplus availability, and a couple on the G Wagon also.

Back