• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thinking About A Ford???

GerryCan

Inactive
Reaction score
Think Again...

I bought my 2002 Focus brand new off the lot with 93 kms on it. It's a good car, rides nice, good gas mileage and is pretty comfortable for the size and the price.
At around 20 000km, the car started making a humming noise from the rear-end which sounded a lot like a bad wheel bearing. So I brought it in, being still under warranty and all and told them about it. They checked it out and told me that my tires were shot and had to be replaced. I in turn nearly had a kitten at the thought of replacing the tires on my still new car.
I asked them why the tires were wearing out so fast and if they were just cheap tires from the factory. They replied with "No, Focus' are really hard on tires."
Gee thanks tips.
So I put on high quality tires rated for 120 000km and worth about $110 a pop. I figured this would somewhat rectify the problem and that I wouldn't have to replace the tires for ATLEAST another 50 000km and from there I would decide whether or not to keep the car.
Well just last week I brought the car in for an oil change and to rotate the tires because it had been about 10 000km since I last rotated them.
After the mechanic was done with the car he told me that he couldn't rotate the tires because the rear tires were bald and needed to be replaced. Sure enough the tires were again trashed, and when I rotated them in the summer they were fine.

I then called dear old John Henry Ford for some answers as to why this car sucks so bad.
They replied with "Focus models from 2000-2004(all models) are experiencing irregular tread wear and that customers that are experiencing this are to get an alignment check ($60), if there is a problem with rear alignment buy a kit to replace the rear suspension arm ($200), replace existing worn-out tires (around 600-$800) and then the problem SHOULD not persist there-after."

Yeah I'll get right on that.

What gets me is, they don't actually guarantee whatsoever the problem being rectified after all this money and time has been put into the scrap heap. So tomorrow I could put $1000 into my little gay car and 30 000 km down the road, put another 600 bucks worth of rubber on it.

So all in all, if you were ever thinking about buying a Focus or have one, maybe you should consider your options for buying something else...Believe me, I am.

The Focus won rally awards here in Australia. Wierd. Sounds like some type of a defect. Try www.ford.com.au.

I drive a Ford, uniquely Australian. Its an 8/2000 Falcon AUII XLS Ute. 6 cyl, dual fuel (ULP/LPG - gasoline/propane), 5 spd manual, and not bad. Utes are referred to as a sports car with a big boot.

Cheers, and good luck chasing that problem down on your Focus.

Your license plate done on purpose, Wes? I like it either way.

WOW! I like that truck,  if they sold them here I'd probably get one!

Gilligan, thye are hot, and with you in one - HOTTER!

Cheers and merry Christmas,

Wes

EDIT: yes guys she is a woman  ;D

ummm....yes I am  :-*

I think I'd change the headlights though...they look to Focus-ey, blech!

They have been changed in 2003. Go to the Aussie Ford web site on www.ford.com.au and follow the links to 'commercial vehicles', then 'Falcon Utes', there you will see the new ones. Yes they are hot, especially the XR6 turbo and XR8. if ya want, play the add in the left hand corner (its classic Aussie).   ;D

Cheers,

Wes

scott1nsh said:
Your license plate done on purpose, Wes? I like it either way.

Yes mate is was. Seems a few other Canadians already had 'CANUCK' and 'KANUCK' so had to go phonetically to get this one.

Cheers,

Wes

Nice ride Wes.  Shades of El Camino?  It's a 'Mad Max' world out there!

"I am the Night Rider, a fuel-injected suicide machine"!

I like the 'Pied Piper' effect the XR8 had in the ad video clip.

Had to convert the power rating of the new 'utes' to understand just how much power they are packing.  Very impressive!

re:  Fords - and then there was the time the engine mounts on my Ford Taurus wagon rusted out and the engine basically fell out of the car ... while I was driving it ... (a design defect - the subject of a recall ... a recall I never received, because I'd bought the car used - moral of the story:  In addition to changing the ownership papers with the government, it's a good idea to do the same with the manufacturer so that you'll received any recall or safety notices)

*drool*  my dad thinks it's ugly.....but then again he drives a GMC S-15

Ford is a large international company. A Ford that is sold in Australia could have been made by Mazda in Japan. Ford is part owner of Mazda. I have been involved in racing for many years and no one runs stock vehicles, the adage win on Sunday sell on Monday is very important, I would not be surprised if the Ford Focus that has won rallies is probably worth some $200,000.00. And the chassis and drive line gets changed every race.

There is a book called Lemon Aid for the used car buyer, I saw it in a book store and started to read it, I was quite surprised and would never purchase a Ford again. I had a Ford Taurus, nice car to drive but a real piece of junk. After 120,000 klm with many failures and three transmitions later I went back to the book store and bought the book. I now own a Toyota and with 157,000 klm I am very happy. I have spent less than a 1,000 on maintenance and I am still on the second set of tires. So when my sister went to purchase a Ford Focus because it looked nice I brought her the book, she now owns a Honda.

Never buy a made in North America Ford, the right up on the trucks is good but there is no reliable cars.

Why is the ford logo written on a blue background in a white oval?

BEACAUSE YOU ALWAYS CIRCLE YOUR MISTAKES >.< ...yeah well I think Im funny..

Suggest getting yourself a 1969 Plymouth Valiant with a 225 slant six. You can beat the crap out of it and it will still ask for more. If anything breaks down most likely you could even fix it yourself. That being said you won't have that tire problem anymore. I don't really care for new vehicles.

Ford Taurus= Throw away car

My mother had one. Had trans replaced and in that same year the new tranny went on it too.

Fords are great cars.  My family has 3 Tempo's and all of them lasted well above 230,000km mark, which is a awesome secord hand.  I've found Fords to work just as well as any GM product, if you compare then to any Japanese products.... then their just throw away cars.

Buy a Toyota, chances are it was made in Canada, and will last years longer than any so called domestic.

Well I've driven nothing other that ford since I've been 17 and haven't had a problem such as this. If you read any Lemon-Aid catologue or a Consumer's Guide, the Focus is rated very high as a reliable car. I've wondered if I'm the only owner experiencing this and after a short search on the net I've found that there are a lot of problems with the Focus suspension. All in all, it's crap. I'm considering a Toyota as I know some people that work in the plant in Cambridge that say the quality level is very high, but I'm not exactly sure yet. It's a crap shoot no matter what you buy, brand new, used it's all the same nowadays. All I know is that I'm not buying or keeping another Focus thats for sure.
And Wes, that's a pretty sweet looking car. ;D

Back