• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Whole New Knife, Liz May, Gear Up, Racism Merged Thread

NFLD Sapper said:
Can you confirm this MCG?

I'll check to see exactly which scale it's on tomorrow. If it wasn't on a scale ... it wouldn't be in the system and it wouldn't be locked up in my clothing vault right now because I'd have no one to issue them to. It's on a scale somewhere ... it's the notes to whatever scale it's on that are the important bits of info as to entitlements and which determine who gets what. There are HUGE numbers of different scales.

Much like engineers were not entitled to safety boots on the D01301 scale until trades qualified (now fixed by the way) where every other trade that is entitled to them was listed, but could be issued them under the Personal Protective Equipment scale instead ...

MCG: thx

Vern: sorta like the safety boots issue for all 043's right?

NFLD Sapper said:
Vern: sorta like the safety boots issue for all 043's right?
That item appears in the Land Operational Clothing Scale.  The knife is not on any Army scale (lots of use by the Air Force though).

<points to verns post>  ;D

I see she added the 043 comments after I posted lol

MCG said:
That item appears in the Land Operational Clothing Scale.  The knife is not on any Army scale (lots of use by the Air Force though).

Yes it does.

And until 1 month ago 043 Engineers were not entitled to those safety boots until after they had completed trade and phase training. Doesn't make sense now does it? I've been working a long time to get that fixed on the D01-301 ... and it FINALLY happened ... and come to think of it - I think that NFLD Engineer was sitting in my office with me when they finally notified me they were going to do the scale ammendment to include the 043s.

We worked around that (prior to it's being placed on the CFSD01-301) by issuing them out 1 pair ea based on the Personal Protective Equipment scale and I can't remember that scale off the top of my head, but it's on page two or three (in the MA docs if you've got access right now) ...

Recceguy:

Are you into pork-barrelling? I like them all done up on a big spit. Very good!!  :)

Whats the big deal about these knives, anyways? How are they any better then any other knife? I see them all the time, but I always figured getting one was a new guy thing.

Or maybe it's an Airborne thing.... I just wouldn't understand... ;)

Wonderbread said:
Whats the big deal about these knives, anyways? How are they any better then any other knife? I see them all the time, but I always figured getting one was a new guy thing.

Or maybe it's an Airborne thing.... I just wouldn't understand... ;)

Well, thank you for bringing it back on topic ...  ;)

Of course it is!! Here it is from the original article.  8)

tech2002 said:
Found this on Global and Mail website
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080916.welxnmayknife0916/BNStory/Front

porkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrelling

The knives are used by paratroopers to escape from their parachute harness.

porkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrellingporkbarrelling

I've got one buried away in a box, somewhere. It's been there since I tried to use it on my survival course decades ago.

I never liked them, and could not understand why anybody would. The handle offered no grip when wet or muddy, and lacked a guard. I like my fingers too much to risk on something like that. The blade would not hold an edge, but perhaps the steel has improved since mine was made. The shape of the blade, its cross-section, and its size rendered it useless for anything that I tried to use it for on that course, which also taught me to hate the C5 pocket knife.

I have a much better knife on my survival vest.

after all my experiance around JM Load Masters Riggers  I generally see them use some other knife.  One of the most commom is a rescue type knife .  flat safety nose and razor sharp else where easy grip handle  not this mishapen steak knife .  Ive  got one tucked away somewhere and  prefer my Spyderco.

The Airforce dumped the Russell belt knife a couple of years ago for the "Made in Germany" PRT-X rescue tool.

I too have my fathers Russell knife from the early '60s on a plinth on my desk.  When i was teaching at ATR(W) I tried a variety of knives (sykes-fairbairn (also my pop's 41CDO), gerber, issue machette, and some of the "respected" survival knives) I recomend getting a hold of a kukri, heavy solid knife with a wide chord for the first 7" (tip to bend) enabling good chopping and a normal 1 1/2" chord for the remainder 5" for the finer stuff, comfy pommel.  The bad points is the 2 smaller utility knives, take them out and leave them in your drawer! 

Perhaps the Green party under Liz May are all for bringing back the Airborne Regt so that we will need a larger number of these knives to be purchased to cut risers and such.  ;D

MCG said:

used on ships as well...personally I am not a fan of it as it never holds an edge

I always thought the idea was for Canada to get its equipment from the lowest bidder...now we are Ms May is upset? Ummm ok that makes sense, we get in trouble if we spend too much money on equipment and then we get in trouble when we go looking for a deal.

Politics makes a lot of sense. ::)

Back