• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Via Rail Promotion For CF Members Thread

Fair dealings, Copyright act and all that stuff.

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1056878.html

Via Rail military freebies no sacrifice
Offer seen as slow-season tonic

OTTAWA — Via Rail’s offer of free train tickets for Canada’s military during the month of July was partly a business decision to help boost revenues during a slow travel period, an internal document suggests.

The offer, announced with fanfare at the Halifax railway station on March 26, was publicly touted as a way for the Crown corporation to express its gratitude to military personnel.

"We just wanted, simply, to say thank you . . . for everything they’re doing for us," Via’s chairman Donald Wright told a news conference attended by Defence Minister Peter MacKay.

‘But an internal planning document, obtained by The Canadian Press, suggests there was more than altruism at play.

July is traditionally the slowest revenue month for Via Rail, as business travellers and students disappear, especially in central Canada, and as more tourists choose to travel in May, September and October.

"Historically, July has been Via Rail’s poorest month by passenger load in Via 1 (first class). That trend dates back to 1997," says the Dec. 11 proposal for the military freebie.

"In comfort (economy) class, July has traditionally been 20 per cent lower than August."

The offer to military personnel and veterans, and for civilian employees at National Defence, included a 50 per cent discount for family members travelling at the same time in the same economy class — a potential source of fresh revenue on otherwise half-empty trains.

In addition, as July trains filled up, more non-military passengers would be forced to travel in June or August, or would have to upgrade to seats in first-class or even sleeper cars.

"The additional revenue would be welcome," says the document. "If the offer is successful we could experience a surge in demand in July, which could spread our summer business over three months.

Additionally regular coach passengers may be encouraged into purchasing upgrades . . . and there should be a noticeable increase in on board revenues."

The proposal concluded: "Overall the downside of this offer is very low. It will generate trial (business), and new business. The upside, particularly in media exposure and in goodwill, could be massive."

A spokeswoman for Via Rail said the offer was never designed as anything more than a thank you to the military.

"This appreciation fare is not about revenues, it’s not about statistics," Catherine Kaloutsky said in an interview.

"What it’s about is saying thank you. It was about finding a simple way to show appreciation to those who have served our country and who are currently serving our country."

About 26,000 reservations have been made under the program so far, Kaloutsky said, though she could not indicate how many were freebies and how many were family discounts.

Via Rail’s Ocean (Halifax to Montreal) and Canadian (Vancouver to Toronto) trains are almost fully booked for July, but there are still seats in the central Canada corridor trains from Windsor, Ont., to Quebec City.

The Crown corporation has been struggling in recent years with poor on-time performance, cheap competing air fares in central Canada, and frequent equipment failures, especially in its geriatric F-40 locomotives. The high dollar has cut into its tourist business.

The federal government had to cover a $200-million operating deficit at the Crown corporation last year — or about $48 for every passenger.

Via Rail’s trains are, on average, only 55 per cent full and almost a quarter of them arrive late.

The money-losing corporation’s military freebie drew some criticism when it was announced.

"Since when is it Via’s mandate to expend funds to support DND employees?" said one e-mail respondent to a CBC online report.

"I hope the auditor general slams Via and everyone along the line who had a part in this decision."

Internal figures suggest the freebie is generating new revenues.

An analysis dated April 16, or three weeks after the offer was made, shows Via Rail booked about $370,000 in revenues for July under the Canadian Forces family appreciation fare, the half-price tickets for military family members travelling together.

An official estimated bookings for the eastern and western services were between three and five times higher than at the same point in 2007.

The Via Rail documents were obtained under the Access to Information Act.

The corporation carries about four million passengers each year, most of them in the busy Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto corridor.

Last October, the federal government announced $516 million in capital funding over the next five years, much of which will go to rebuild the F-40s from the ground up, giving them 15 to 20 more years’ of service.

’If the offer is successful we could experience a surge in demand in July, which could spread our summer business over three months. Additionally regular coach passengers may be encouraged into purchasing upgrades.’

Ummm... does this make the offer any less interesting or appreceated?  NO!!!

Via could have decided to ignore the military and left the cars half empty OR offered deep discounts to students and others.

Thank you VIA RAIL for having given us this little tip of the hat... It is greatly appreceated.

To DEAN BEEBY The Canadian Press, with all due respect: blow it out your a$$

Fair dealings, Copyright act and all everthing. From TheChronicleHerald.ca today:

Families sniff at Via offer
Soldiers in Afghanistan miss out on deal for free rail travel
By DEAN BEEBY The Canadian Press
Sun. Jun 1 - 4:31 AM

OTTAWA — Via Rail’s offer of free travel for the military throughout July has triggered a backlash, as soldiers serving in Afghanistan that month miss out on the deal but civilians back home enjoy it.
"Why has Via . . . chosen to exclude the thousands of Canadian Forces members who will not qualify for this offer?" Susan Killam, whose husband is posted to Afghanistan until September, recently wrote to government officials.
"These members, currently serving in some of the world’s most dangerous conflicts, deserve the same opportunity. . . . These members are the very individuals which this offer should be honouring."
On March 26, Via Rail announced with great fanfare that Canadian Forces members, veterans and civilians at National Defence can enjoy free rail travel throughout July. Under the deal, up to five family members can join them, at half price. Retired civilians also get free travel.
"We just wanted, simply, to say thank you . . . for everything they’re doing for us," Via’s chairman Donald Wright said at a news conference.
Killam, who lives in Hammonds Plains, says it’s unfair that civilian employees will be able to take advantage of the offer while her husband is stuck in a war zone.
"I feel it devalues the gesture in that the work of those employees in no way equates to the hardships faced by the military members and their families," she wrote to Wright, Defence Minister Peter MacKay and others. "They do not face warfare."
Killam and other families shared correspondence and related material on the issue with The Canadian Press.
Dartmouth-based Margaret Crook, whose husband is also in the military, was similarly upset.
"When this first came out, I was literally pained to read that civilians and their families were being thanked for work we (Canadian Forces) do," she said in an e-mail.
Crook also wrote to government officials, including those at Via Rail who responded that National Defence insisted civilians be included in the freebie because "the support of civilian positions plays an integral part in the success of the missions."
"The Via program was to thank those who sacrifice. To include civilians here is mind boggling. It only mocks that sacrifice," Crook wrote to the deputy minister at National Defence.
Some of the dozens of people who posted comments about the offer on a CBC news website were equally skeptical.
"This is a very nice idea but doesn’t do much for those spending July in Kandahar," said one.
Several correspondents said the freebie should be considered a taxable benefit, although a spokeswoman for the Canada Revenue Agency said it is not under the Income Tax Act.
A Canadian Forces pilot, who heads to Afghanistan next April, said he was unable to book a round trip because seats filled rapidly. A Via Rail spokesman says about 30,000 people have booked tickets under the offer, though he could not say how many were civilians and retirees.
"I felt ripped off not being able to get a seat," said the Ottawa-based officer, who requested anonymity.
He managed to book a one-way ticket, but only after struggling with a "stonewalling" Via Rail ticket agent. "They never stated there was limited availability."
Via Rail has no plans to provide rain checks for military members stuck serving overseas in July, said spokesman Malcolm Andrews, and is not putting on any extra trains in July.
"Like any promotion, it has conditions and one of those conditions is the applicable dates," he said in an interview from Montreal headquarters. "Everyone is treated equally."
Andrews also said a "significant" number of civilians have served in Afghanistan, not just soldiers.
The Canadian Press, citing internal documents, reported recently that Via Rail’s decision to offer the freebie was partly intended to boost revenues during a slow travel period.
Via’s Vancouver-Toronto trains are full for July, and the Halifax-Montreal trains are almost full. Seats are still available in other regions.

Instead of the complaints and negative comments about the offer, I will be interested to hear about people's experience of this offer once it has started in July.

Andrews also said a "significant" number of civilians have served in Afghanistan, not just soldiers.

Wow.

I've got to state that I am flabbergasted by Ms. Crook's complaint.

Besides civilians working in Afghanistan, there are also thousands of civilians within DND who are doing their jobs each and every day to support our soldiers and this current mission.

These employees are buying kit, issuing kit, paying soldiers, looking after these soldiers in the BHosp, feeding them, teaching them ... and on and on and on.

Without them and their contribution to DND ... this mission (and any mission, any regular "in Canada" work day) would be entirely in the hurt locker.

Let's faceit, wherever there is a sincere from the heart donation of something... there will be detractors...

That's life

VIA rail made a generous offer that, in the end costs them little (the trains were running anyway) but provides some valuable tansportation to the Military - Current serving & former members PLUS the civilian personnel who support us.

Given that there will always (till 2011 anyway) be some 3000 personnel in theatre, not much can be done about those who are out there... but the 3000 who just came back OR those who are preparing to deploy DO have that oportunity.

Thank you VIA rail

Some people would bitch about a lottery win  ::) .  I don't get these people at all. Here's my take:  When I buy anything, car, dishwasher, stereo, whatever, if I think I got a good deal, and the salesman thinks he got a good deal, THEN IT'S A GOOD DEAL.  This is a good deal for us, a good deal for VIA, therefore, IT'S A GOOD DEAL.  Some people need a good swift smack in the head with a dead mackerel.

The sad reality is that you could cure air pollution in every province for a total of $5 and there would be somebody out there objecting.

VIA did a nice thing. True, it is not going to reach everybody in the target audience, but it will be open to most of them. 

True, it's not top-of-the-line travel, but it's free.

True, VIA hopes to make some money during a traditional slow period for them - is that wrong? They are giving away a lot and, besides, this country is based on making money.

The sad thing, as I see it, is that the acrimony, carping and winging about this giveaway not being perfect is probably going to stop VIA from ever running another one in the future.  VIA should be commended for their generous recognition of Canada's troops and veterans.

You know, I have yet to be home for a single one of those Ottawa Sens Military appreciation nights. You know the ones they give us free tickets. Am I disappointed I missed it? Yes. Am I bitter enough about it to complain to the press? No, and why would I be.

I was away when Via announced the offer. And by the time I got home, all the relevent routes for my family were sold out. Was I disappointed? Yes. Was I bitter enough to complain to the media? No, and why would I be?

But:

It took my wife and I a lot of rechecking for availability to get a set of 4 return fare tickets from Ottawa to the Maritimes for July. Finally, we got lucky last week and did.

Family of 4: Me (military) for free. My wife (DND employee) 50% and my kids (both under 11) for free. Cost- no more than $200. A lot less than it would have cost me to drive.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Family of 4: Me (military) for free. My wife (DND employee) 50% and my kids (both under 11) for free. Cost- no more than $200. A lot less than it would have cost me to drive.

And, I'm sure you'll enjoy the scenery both down & back -- as well as not having to remain with your butt firmly planted.

Glad to see that you managed to get yourselves booked and enjoy the benefits of this outstanding offer from Via.

Actually, rereading thru the offer web page, and with a quick call to Via, my wife (DND employee) can travel for free as well...so she can get a refund on her fare.

Oh, happy happy joy joy.  ;D

edit to add- the scoop is; because she was booked under my ID she has to pay her 50% fare. If she would have booked her own ticket (and 1 child) seperately from mine, she would have gotten the discount.

Just make sure you pick up your tickets within 5 days (maybe 7?).  Otherwise you will lose them.

Strike said:
Just make sure you pick up your tickets within 5 days (maybe 7?).  Otherwise you will lose them.
We had 14 days to pick them up....and got them yesterday.

I learned that life can be disappointing, then I turned 6!! >:D  GET OVER IT!!!!!!!
If you look up UNGRATEFUL in the dictionary, I think you might find a picture of Mrs. Killam.  :brickwall:
We will be unable to use the VIA offer as we are being posted this summer, but we still appreciate the offer.  Or maybe I should alert the media, because somebody offered us something nice and it ISN"T convenient for me :brickwall:

I hope VIA actually makes a bit of a profit on this, and it shuts up those asking for an Auditor General investigation.  If, in August, this all goes off with minimal complications, I hope the person/team at VIA who came up with this idea gets a bonus/promotion - especially if it actually helps generate some additional revenue for VIA - making it a total win/win for everyone.

To those that can't get a ticket at this date, I truly wish that VIA could have accommodated everyone, but given the true business and practical constraints they had to work with, they seem to be doing a great job.  Easy for me to say, my wife and I scored tickets from Ontario to Vancouver and return.  Only because we read the offer when it came out, realized the number of people it included (it stated civilian DND and CF upfront from the very first announcement), and read the on line conditions where it stated that there was no penalty for cancelling our tickets.  So that very first night we booked with VIA, before knowing if we could get vacation, or have someone look after the house - because we knew we could always go back and cancel it hassle free.

The offer was in most major papers within 24-48 hours of the announcement, their website was clear and concise.  I'm sure people missed the initial announcement, and I'm sorry for them, but it happens to everyone, it is NOT VIA's fault.    With no penalties for cancellations, I'm sure there will still be many, as people can't pull off their initial plans, I hope others follow SMMT's example and keep checking back for vacancies.

Like others, I did wish that VIA offered rain checks for those deployed in July (or on training).  It didn't happen.  It probably would have added a lot of complications and extra overhead - such is life.  I'm sure there would still be groups complaining that they couldn't take part.  If I was deployed, or the loved one of someone deployed, I'd have a lot more on my mind with someone in a war zone, than a train trip.

Thank you VIA for letting me see a great chunk of this country that represents the thousands of Canadians I've served with over the years.

Just some news from the rock.According to "open line" VOCM it is too late for Marine Atlantic to do the same.They plan on offering the same thing next summer.

"Why has Via . . . chosen to exclude the thousands of Canadian Forces members who will not qualify for this offer?" Susan Killam, whose husband is posted to Afghanistan until September, recently wrote to government officials.
"These members, currently serving in some of the world’s most dangerous conflicts, deserve the same opportunity. . . . These members are the very individuals which this offer should be honouring."
Killam, who lives in Hammonds Plains, says it’s unfair that civilian employees will be able to take advantage of the offer while her husband is stuck in a war zone.
"I feel it devalues the gesture in that the work of those employees in no way equates to the hardships faced by the military members and their families," she wrote to Wright, Defence Minister Peter MacKay and others. "They do not face warfare."
Killam and other families shared correspondence and related material on the issue with The Canadian Press.
Mrs. Killam should quit her whining and look deeper into the offer. Even though her husband is overseas, she is still eligible for a free fare under the offer:

From the Via rail website:
Qualifying adult passenger is defined as any adult 18 years of age or older who is in possession of either a valid DND photo identification card, Canadian Military Record of Service card (ND175), any Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) benefit card, Communications Security Establishment Canada ID card, Dependent ID card, or Canex "Club XTra" card. Note: If a Dependent ID card or Canex "Club XTra" card is presented for complimentary travel, a maximum of one complimentary ticket per family per trip is allowed.
(emphasis mine)

as for her:
Dartmouth-based Margaret Crook, whose husband is also in the military, was similarly upset.
"When this first came out, I was literally pained to read that civilians and their families were being thanked for work we (Canadian Forces) do," she said in an e-mail.
Just plain petty, seeing as the Canadian Forces consist of both uniformed and civilian employees.

Unreal.

What ever happened to modest people?
What ever happened to quiet professionalism?

And Mrs.Killam...wow.

How about those guys going to REPLACE your husband?

Again....this is some of the reasons why I hate humanity.

And one reason I love my wife!Man can you imagine how embarrassing that would be if it was your S.O!

Sweet! Fare of 274.05. I pay zero. Free beers for everyone, lol

If perhaps, I was like Mrs. Killam, this would be where I would alert the media and complain that you have offered free beer, but, I don't like beer, and that your offer is inconvenient for me >:D  It does not fit with my schedule as I can't drink beer right now >:D  just kidding ;D

Free beer for EVERYONE?????.....me thinks it may cost a little more than $274.05, remember, you's be dealin' with bunchs of CF members and that's alot of EVERYONE!!!!!!

Thanks ;D

That article is aggravating on so many levels:

1)  I'd hate to be "Insert Rank" Gillam overseas right now - shaking his head at the comments of his wife at home.  Talk about the worst razzing you'd get from your peers.

2)  The true ignorance towards civilian employees is downright outrageous.  I think it's commendable that DND wanted Civ pers included - they should be dammit.  Maybe I don't know enough about what's going on, but I sure see a lot of job postings for civilian employees doing jobs in the sandbox.  Sure the job of an Infanteer is dangerous, but no Infanteer wants to be on some pedestal over anyone else.

3)  A cowardly Air Force Pilot made a stupid remark to the media and then smartly asks to remain anonymous.  I surely hope this Air Force pilot is not one of the ones who makes more than 100K per year - complaining about his right to a 2-300 dollar train ticket.  Oh - and the best part was that it was not good enough that he could only get "one way" free and would have to pay for the other direction.  BLech!

We need more charities for Support Your Troops because obviously tax exemptions, military discounts, and charitable donations such as free christmas trees/Via Rail tickets just aren't cutting it for some of these families.

Sounds harsh, but I'm still of the mindset that we are currently given everything we need to take care of our own business.  I'm basically ashamed at some of the things I've read.  Shame on anyone complaining about the cookie jar being empty.

Bin

Back