• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jarnhamar said:
I thought Pelosi ripping Trumps State of the Union speech especially trashy.

The whole coup attempt was.

Baz said:
Nobody has any comment?  None?

My only comment over the last few days: I don't think anybody is going to take the high road any time soon...

What’s to say? The vast majority of members here have enough savvy that we knew this whole thing was doomed as a farce from early on. While it might be *particularly* disappointing that Republican senators denied a fair and objective trial with witnesses, I doubt anyone is particularly surprised that it went down like that. Before paths were even sworn several senators made it clear they meant nothing. Not much ‘intrigue’ to be found here, just pure partisan hackery from nearly all involved (with McConnell as an outlier).

So we can gnash our teeth and piss and moan and quip, or we can shrug and carry on with our lives.

It's all a silly show. Like Nancy Pelosi sneaking the speech down "out of view" so she can pre-rip the couple pieces of paper to ensure a clean "spontaneous" rip of the speech minutes later.

T-Shirts picturing her ripping the speech appear to be selling for a cool $25 greenbacks. Wish is letting MAGA hats go at $3.

Where do you get 
While it might be *particularly* disappointing that Republican senators denied a fair and objective trial with witnesses...
?

They heard ALL the evidence the Democratic House of Representatives had (whose job it is investigate; not the Senate), and ALL that the Impeachment Managers stated during hours of testimony.

The Republican senators refused to call new witnesses (to do the Democratic House of Representatives task) for the Democrats "iron clad case". https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/30/us/politics/impeachment-witnesses.html

Rifleman62 said:
Where do you get  ?

They heard ALL the evidence the Democratic House of Representatives had (whose job it is investigate; not the Senate), and ALL that the Impeachment Managers stated during hours of testimony.

The Republican senators refused to call new witnesses (to do the Democratic House of Representatives task) for the Democrats "iron clad case". https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/30/us/politics/impeachment-witnesses.html

They denied a trial with witnesses. It's not rocket surgery. I get it from it being a self-evident, objectively verifiable fact. This is the first impeachment trial in Senate history without witnesses, be it presidents or judges. Hell, some of the Republican senators who voted not to allow witnesses stand bludgeoned by their own hypocrisy when their statements on the issue of witnesses in the Bill Clinton senate trial are looked back upon.

I'm well aware that there was investigation and witnesses in the house. While I know better than to mistake this proceeding for a judicial one, to my simple mind anyway, 'trial' suggests it's appropriate to have witnesses. This wasn't a trial in any recognizably meaningful judicial respect; I've been part of a number of those. It was two sides each giving a statement in a legislative house and than the side with controlling votes voting to shut the whole thing down. There was at least one extremely relevant, and reasonably compelling witnesses who was there ready to go and would have had directly relevant things to say. The Republican senate refused it.

That's fine; it's a partisan process, and it played out in a permissible manner. But it wasn't anything resembling a fair trial intended to actually determine facts or culpability.

QV said:
The whole coup attempt was.

You seem to be really struggling with the underlying concepts here. I'm not sure how you call it a 'coup attempt' when the end result of a guilty verdict and a removal would have been '2ic take over' with Mike Pence stepping up. That's not a 'coup'. At worst if it had gone that way it could have been called 'due process', with the result being a constitutionally sound removal of a president from office, but his party retaining the presidency. A coup is inherently *outside* of the legal processes ('legal' as in both the formal law, and 'lawful' exercise of constitutionally granted political authorities). This was anything but that. It may have been farcical, but it fell well within the law.

Brad Sallows said:
>This is the first impeachment trial in Senate history without witnesses, be it presidents or judges.

Not exactly.  For those who might be interested: more stuff about witnesses and impeachment hearings.

I stand corrected on that point, thank you. Nonetheless, proceedings without witnesses can still be fairly said to be rare. I definitely disagree with the claim that this was an attempt to make some 'entirely new system of justice for one man'. No. They went with the system as it has existed for a long time and as it has been implemented in a majority of cases.

The Republican senate's refusal to allow new witnesses to be called when at least on significant and compelling one from within the administration had emerged is still a very telling and very partisan fact.I cannot see that and think that the bulk of Republican senators were faithful to the oath they swore. I bear no illusion that calling Bolton or other witnesses would have resulted in an impeachment in a Republican controlled senate, but they jammed a branch through the spokes of the wheels of justice on this one.

In any case, the matter now returns to the voters, which in parliamentary democracies is how many such things ultimately play out.

There was never any hope of impartiality; Democrats and others have been trying to fit impeachment to circumstances since the inauguration.  Nor was there ever any hope of a fishing expedition in the Senate.

The lack of Republican "impartiality" was exceeded only by the lack of Democratic "impartiality".  The made-up obstruction charge would not have been a matter for finding guilt, let alone removal, for nearly any reasonable and impartial person.  Because the Senate vote is one answer for two questions (is the charge proven? does the charge merit removal?), Republicans can hide behind a fig leaf (proven, but not worth removal).  Democrats don't even have that, because each vote for removal on the obstruction charge implies a guilty finding.  That more than a handful of the most irredeemable partisans found "guilt" for asserting legal privileges and immunities was the worst single possible outcome of the whole sorry circus.

Witnesses with new evidence (Bolton) should have been heard, and might have been heard if Democrats hadn't pissed off Republicans.  As for the rest, what witnesses or documents were required that weren't in the package delivered with the articles?  The trial is to try the case already prepared; all the facts required (except Bolton's possible revelation) were available to the Senate.  It isn't as if people were needed to testify how evidence was gathered, that the chain of evidence was maintained, etc.

If there wasn't enough evidence, how could anyone vote to convict/remove?  Ergo, there was enough evidence.

Congress started after the president on the day he was elected.  They have spent 3 years and multi-millions or maybe billions trying to bring him down.  During all that time, can anyone point to a single, noteworthy piece of legislation initiated and passed by congress that has advanced the welfare of the people of the United States?  The  entire group needs to be impeached for grand theft of the tax payers money in the form of their salaries (not to mention the staff manyears that has gone into their research. 

YZT580 said:
During all that time, can anyone point to a single, noteworthy piece of legislation initiated and passed by congress that has advanced the welfare of the people of the United States? 

Good question to ask the man who calls himself, "The Grim Reaper".
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=641&sxsrf=ACYBGNRRHnTUz_UqqN0yIf_UVzAq1HTGpw%3A1581045130250&ei=itU8XvL0DpCY_QasqqzYCw&q=mcconnell+%22grim+reaper%22&oq=mcconnell+%22grim+reaper%22&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..47027...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.QVj32ENdrTk&ved=0ahUKEwjy4fKKvL7nAhUQTN8KHSwVC7s4ChDh1QMICg#spf=1581045177700

FJAG said:
I think that you were entirely too subtle in your answer MM. As of last November, McConnell has held up 400 pieces of House legislation passing only a small handful. Not entirely unexpected for the man that held up a Supreme Court appointment for a year to spite Obama.

https://www.vox.com/2019/11/29/20977735/how-many-bills-passed-house-democrats-trump

Time for a Democrat Senate.

:cheers:

Not on Your Life !! What is needed is a broom to sweep the communists out of the House !! Maybe we can shift them North ?

tomahawk6 said:
Not on Your Life !! What is needed is a broom to sweep the communists out of the House !! Maybe we can shift them North?

If you sent us your Democrats, it would shift our overall political spectrum to the far right.  ;D

FJAG said:
If you sent us your Democrats, it would shift our overall political spectrum to the far right.  ;D

There's the irony.  All this rancor, which gets stoked by the press wanting to make money, between two parties that are both on the right...

[quote author=tomahawk6]
Not on Your Life !! What is needed is a broom to sweep the communists out of the House !! Maybe we can shift them North ?
[/quote]
I think we have enough with all the guns and drugs you send up here thanks.

[quote author=FJAG]

Time for a Democrat Senate.

[/quote]
Given the behavior by both sides maybe what the US needs is neither.

Baz said:
All this rancor, which gets stoked by the press wanting to make money, between two parties that are both on the right...

Nothing new about political scandals, 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama_tan_suit_controversy

Brihard said:
You seem to be really struggling with the underlying concepts here...

The senate result clearly bothers you.  I note you never once commented on all the corrupt activities involving FISA, Horowitz findings etc.  You ignore all the evidence of corruption on the other side.    There was a concerted effort to prevent, remove, and damage POTUS using unlawful means by those in trusted positions of authority.  There are strong cases for treason, sedition, and corruption.  I'm looking forward to your commentary when those corrupt former officials are brought to justice.     

>Time for a Democrat Senate.

Why?  The country seems to be ticking along without 400 more bills signed into law.  How are 400 bills debated meaningfully in less than a year?

The US is better served when Congress is split between parties.

Add: plus ca change.

The Senate in 2014

The Senate in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back