• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

could the reason not be somewhere on the lines of liability? What would happen if someone was using something they had not been issued and OK'd for use overseas and something serious happened because of that?

Also I could definately see it being something similar to loyalty with other jobs in the civie world, along with standards of uniform. For instance, if you work at Future Shop and in the winter & they 'issue' you a long sleeved red shirt with festive icons on it, they want you to wear it while you're at work... not another long sleeved red shirt that may be warmer or fits better.. or etc..

One analogy is the sports analogy.  Look at the Toronto Maple Leafs.  They all wear Blue and White jerseys, and the jerseys are uniform.  That's about it.  Yes, the helmets are blue (or white on the road), but each has their own.  They still look like the Toronto Maple Leafs to me.
Solution: have a "set" of authorised dealers in "stuff".  That "stuff" then eliminates the "liability" issue.  The "stuff" is warranted by the manufacturer, and the users will determine which "stuff" is best.  That's my solution.

JBoyd said:
Also I could definately see it being something similar to loyalty with other jobs in the civie world, along with standards of uniform. For instance, if you work at Future Shop and in the winter & they 'issue' you a long sleeved red shirt with festive icons on it, they want you to wear it while you're at work... not another long sleeved red shirt that may be warmer or fits better.. or etc..

Wow.....we're futureshop now ?

::)

The way I saw it is that if some REMF pogue wanted to take the chest rig, Knight's Armament M5/M4RAS, ACOG,VLTOR butt stock,etc from me they could damn well have come out to where I was to try and do it, the same applied (applies) to the troops I command. I have yet to have one of the kit nazies take up the challenge, they can quote all the CANFORGEN/LANDGEN they want, I will not order the men under my command to wear the issued crap when they are willing to purchase better equipment.

I gave up the fight for comfortable gear on this roto. The one thing I will not give up is my SWAT boots. I'll take the charge on that one, after the medical system didn't allow me to get a chit for them. I mean, I have a hard enough time with my issued holster, and I'm not one of the pointy end types that require it quickly. Heck, how do you guys even fit in the copola of the LAV III with the issued tacvest on? I'm a skinny lad, and don't fit into a Bison CC hatch with my frag vest and tacvest on, and it seems wider.

MG34 said:
I will not order the men under my command to wear the issued crap when they are willing to purchase better equipment.

I wish those in the puzzle palace thought the same way.

SuperSlug said:
I gave up the fight for comfortable gear on this roto. The one thing I will not give up is my SWAT boots. I'll take the charge on that one, after the medical system didn't allow me to get a chit for them. I mean, I have a hard enough time with my issued holster, and I'm not one of the pointy end types that require it quickly. Heck, how do you guys even fit in the copola of the LAV III with the issued tacvest on? I'm a skinny lad, and don't fit into a Bison CC hatch with my frag vest and tacvest on, and it seems wider.

I can't speak for any other Roto but on ours we didn't wear the TV or any other Chest Rig for that matter in the turret.

CDN Aviator said:
Wow.....we're futureshop now ?

::)

No, you are not. My point was that some employers have uniform standards and the CF is a job, and they wish their employees to use the kit they provide. Don't get me wrong im all for using better equipment for any given situation, I was mearly pointing out something that did not seem to or had not been brought up before in this particular thread.

JBoyd said:
No, you are not. My point was that some employers have uniform standards and the CF is a job, and they wish their employees to use the kit they provide. Don't get me wrong im all for using better equipment for any given situation, I was mearly pointing out something that did not seem to or had not been brought up before in this particular thread.

Is that futureshop employee going to get killed because his/her red sweater is inadequate ?

Give your head a shake

JBoyd said:
could the reason not be somewhere on the lines of liability? What would happen if someone was using something they had not been issued and OK'd for use overseas and something serious happened because of that?

You're RTFO'er.

There's a big difference between Afghanistan and futureshop. People aren't trying to kill you at futureshop.

The shirt you wear at Futureshop isn't going to affect your ability to sell/stock/cash etc.

The difference in equipment you wear in Afghanistan can change CAN affect your personal operational standards, if making you more efficient, maybe saving your life, preventing minor injuries, etc.

You my friend, are comparing a single grape to an entire orchard of oranges. Stick to your lanes.

SuperSlug said:
Atleast bring your personal kit with you.  From the guys I talked to on 3-06, they were told not chest rigs etc., which of course changed after some time in theatre where they were then able to open their barrack boxes and pull out the chest rigs they had packed.

And Be careful what and who you buy from.  An ill sewn aftermarket Chest Rig could be more dangerous then the issued junk.

We have TF 1-08  guys "trialing" rigs here right now and I think if that they continue to trial them oversea's management will be hard pressed to remember who was trialing and who wasn't.

JBoyd,
       there is a saying in the military. "Only a fool makes him/herself uncomftable in the field."

And MG34,
              I agree with your statement. Just not the usage of some words.  ;D

The way I saw it is that if some REMF pogue wanted to take the chest rig, Knight's Armament M5/M4RAS, ACOG,VLTOR butt stock,etc from me they could damn well have come out to where I was to try and do it, the same applied (applies) to the troops I command. I have yet to have one of the kit nazies take up the challenge, they can quote all the CANFORGEN/LANDGEN they want, I will not order the men under my command to wear the issued crap when they are willing to purchase better equipment

Note: Spell Check is N/S for me now while on DIN. Hoping I'm in the clear here.

It's unfortunate that common sense seems so rare.  Anyone else remember the "American Rain Gear" rules prevalent on so many bases in the 80s and 90s: Don't wear it in garrison, but it's fine for the field.

Seems like we need a similar dose of common sense now...

Sig_Des said:
There's a big difference between Afghanistan and futureshop. People aren't trying to kill you at futureshop.

You're not from Toronto are you? ;D

DirtyDog said:
Atleast bring your personal kit with you.  From the guys I talked to on 3-06, they were told not chest rigs etc., which of course changed after some time in theatre where they were then able to open their barrack boxes and pull out the chest rigs they had packed.

It has happened every tour...too bad guys couldn't train with it before they went over

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Re: boots. There is not so much of a debate of black boots in Afghanistan....as everyone wears tan.

No no, I was talking about at home, not in the box.

recceguy said:
You're not from Toronto are you? ;D

lol, fair enough, no. But until futureshop starts issuing their people with BA, the comparison is invalid.

Cumon people, if the CTS staff says the kit is great and works ideal in a war zone enviroment, then it does.  The generals say it was tested to high standards, so it will work.  Why would they issue sub-standard kit to us? :skull:

amastermason said:
Cumon people, if the CTS staff says the kit is great and works ideal in a war zone enviroment, then it does.  The generals say it was tested to high standards, so it will work.  Why would they issue sub-standard kit to us? :skull:

Okay, I really hope you're kidding, and by the look of your profile :D I'd say you are.... need a ;) not a  :skull: man :D hahahaha.

Back