• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Seal Hunt Mega-Thread

Where can we purchase seal meat? It looks delicious. Can't find it in Guelph.

Also have trouble finding duck and goose liver to make one of my favorite dishes, "blackened game livers."

I've proudly eaten the following Canadian wildlife and loved it:  North Bay area spring bear, moose, deer, ruffed grouse.

Southern Ontario bison and ostrich.

Georgian Bay turtle and small "lobsters" which are actually crawfish and juicy Honey Harbour "cuisses de grenouilles"--fried crispy in garlic butter.

My favorite freshwater fish is Lake Kipawa Quebec spring pickerel--always most easily fished when the black flies are the worst (have accidentally eaten a few of the latter,  too.)

Love salmon and trout but not pike--even if they're fun to catch.

Agree with Vern on the rabbit though.  Yuck!

leroi said:
Where can we purchase seal meat? It looks delicious. Can't find it in Guelph.

Also have trouble finding duck and goose liver to make one of my favorite dishes, "blackened game livers."

Apparently, it is becoming more popular in Quebec - I can't seem to find any sources in Ontario.

http://www.capitalnews.ca/index.php/news/sealing-the-deal-on-a-new-delicacy

I actually experienced seal for the first time during my Arctic Indoctrination course in 1985. Pangnirtung, NWT (now Nunavut). Went on an expediton with a local family for their hunt. Their little boy (probably 10 or 11) is the one who got the seal --- shot it from the boat; we hauled it in and headed back to the camp on shore. They went right to work divvy it up --- and I tried some bits, raw and still warm. They were tastey, but am unsure of what "bits" in particular they were. I preferred it cooked however.

A whale was also gotten during the same time period ... and was a community event. The first bite was a little 'different' to anything I'd ever had before, but it was good.

As for goose and duck in your area ... I did manage to find this (apparently their farm is just north of Guelph), hope it helps:

http://www.thebutchersorganic.com/localfarmers.html

Thanks Vern!

Here I am sitting in what some call an 'agricultural haven' and didn't even look beyond my urban grocery stores to the many surrounding farms.

I should look too at the Mennonite communities for game livers.

Maybe I'll have to travel to taste seal meat.

Hmmm... with the warm winter and lack of ice, seals are actually having their pups on the beach here in Newfoundland.

PM me, I may be able to arrange a cash job. I'm sure I've got a spare broom handle and steel spike laying around somewhere. :nod:

I'm kidding, I'm kidding... I can't do cash jobs.

What do you all have against rabbit? I got my nan to have 20 bottles ready and waiting for me when I went on leave in Feb... that'll get me till next season (October/November) since I won't be home this summer haha. I honestly like rabbit more than almost everything.

I don't mind rabbit for a change. As for other game, I love moose, caribou and venison in that order.

One of my least memorable dining experiences was whale hamburger when I was on a brigade exercise attached to the Field Artillery Battalion, Brigade North in Norge.

Cooking with seal, brought to you by the EU

The Fur Institute of Canada is planning to produce English and French versions of a seal cookbook originally published by the European Union – the year before the EU banned imports of Canadian seal products.

Now something of an embarrassment for the EU, the large-format, hardbound 128-page Seal in the Modern Kitchen – published only in Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian – had never received much international notice.

But last week, the original co-ordinator of the cookbook project, Anita Storm, angry at the EU’s seal ban, gave the fur institute the green light to produce its own versions of the book, which features recipes for such haute cuisine dishes as herb-stuffed seal schnitzel and seal Wellington with Madeira sauce.

“It’s a really slick cookbook. Jamie Oliver-style,” said David Barry, the institute’s sealing-committee co-ordinator.

More at link

That's rather ironic, no?  ???

..and the first print copy should go to Michaelle Jean.

Was watching TV last night and a commercial came on for the US Humane Society.  Flashes of domestic animals here and there that had been mistreated, etc, etc and then a quick flash of a harp seal with the hunter about to club it.  WTF does the US Humane Society have to do with the hunt of wild game animals in Canada?

I saw this and it cracked me up.  Some might consider it in poor taste, but it is just too ludicrous to take seriously.  Who lets their baby go out on the ice by itself anyway? 

zipperhead_cop said:
I saw this and it cracked me up.  Some might consider it in poor taste, but it is just too ludicrous to take seriously.  Who lets their baby go out on the ice by itself anyway?

And where did the seal buy the club?  ;)

Oh, I love it!  ZC: that sums up their "movement".  110% power, all the time, at ludicrous speed.  I suppose we should show a chicken eating the ova of humans, or a cow drinking human milk, or a pig barbequeing ribs.  "Adam" ribs.  >:D

Technoviking said:
Oh, I love it!  ZC: that sums up their "movement".  110% power, all the time, at ludicrous speed.  I suppose we should show a chicken eating the ova of humans, or a cow drinking human milk, or a pig barbequeing ribs.  "Adam" ribs.  >:D

Perhaps if we can photoshop those images well enough, I'll bet at least half of the crazies will believe it's real and lose their fuzzy wuzzy ideals of cute cuddly creatures and then we meatitarians will be free at last.

They should shoot a season of "seal wars" a spin off of "whale wars".  Watch the nut cases harass the sealers, getting warned to back off, and then watch as try and resist arrest like in cops after they try and outrun a chopper lol. 

Anyone else think this would make a good show  ;D

NL_engineer said:
They should shoot a season of "seal wars" a spin off of "whale wars".  Watch the nut cases harass the sealers, getting warned to back off, and then watch as try and resist arrest like in cops after they try and outrun a chopper lol. 

Only if we get to watch them run off the edge of the ice floes, thrash around a whole lot, get hypothermia, go inert,......hehehehe..... ;D

Technoviking said:
...or a cow drinking human milk...

That reminds me of that time back in college when...I mean...d'oh.

I meant to say I saw this website one time that...wait...

So the Leafs are done, huh?

GAP said:
Only if we get to watch them run off the edge of the ice floes, thrash around a whole lot, get hypothermia, go inert,......hehehehe..... ;D

I was thinking more along the lines of their boats being used as target practice by the Navy; but that could work.

Unrealted to seals, another hippie poster that was in the email that the seal/club one was in.  Also amusing

Back