• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The PRT & Media Attention

Babbling Brooks

Inactive
Reaction score
Did you know that since January 16th of this year, 175 journalists from 37 different media outlets have embedded with the CF in Afghanistan?

So how many stories have you seen about about anything other than Canadian soldiers killing or being killed by insurgents?

I've put up some interesting snippets about the Kandahar PRT here: http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/11/why-canadians-dont-know-trivia-thats.html

If there's to be any hope of them supporting the overall mission, the Canadian public needs to see the full spectrum of CF operations in Afghanistan: killing the bad guys, digging the wells, and everything in between.  Feel free to forward the link to friends and family - we need to get the word out.

Well done!

Don't be shy about posting to the news-only thread any news items (rare as hen's teeth as they may be) you find along these lines.  I admit to having trouble finding MSM material along these lines.

Thanks for the continued attention/digging...

Outstanding! Thanks for posting that link! Very imformative!

A bit more of the same (places I've been checking):
http://www2.hq.nato.int/ISAF/Update/media_press.htm
http://www2.hq.nato.int/ISAF/Update/media_features.htm
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/LFWA/prt_stories.htm

Given the importance of information warfare in this conflict (and the ones to come), I would suggest the Mods "sticky" this on, and interested readers "Blog burst" this across the web. The more of this information gets posted the better for us and the Afghan people.

a_majoor said:
I would suggest the Mods "sticky" this on, and interested readers "Blog burst" this across the web.
done my part. Now start e-mailing, troops.

Here's where I've shared....

http://thunderbay.indymedia.org/news/2006/12/26049.php

Right on! With the exception of the news over the recent days, the damn mass media has barely mentioned Kandahar since the middle of Oct, when it was a big topic for the same unfortunate reasons.... But than again, what can we expect, its all about vivid images, and sensationalism...

At least one journalist thinks we're on target regarding the media's mostly dismal performance, and e-mailed to explain: http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/12/how-can-you-cover-it-if-you-dont.html

A sample from the horse's mouth:

Many of the experienced reporters...who might've had the perspective to do stories along the lines that [The Torch] so eloquently outlines, have been sidelined in favour of editors playing [organizational] politics. Personally, I'm so disgusted by the handling of the whole thing I'm not going back to KAF and I'm not the only one who feels this way. The CF's media strategy and the way they've handled the embedding process was and is far from perfect. But the lion's share of the blame for this distortion of the mission in Afghanistan can't be laid at their door.

Babbling Brooks  thanks for the link  lots of good information there .

Actually, the CBC had a good story on Newsworld last night about the great work the Canadian medics and other soldiers with the PRT are doing.

Yeah, I heard a good piece on the VMO's (Village Medical Outreach) on CBC radio on the six o'clock news last night too.  Good to see.

Gen Fraser weighs in:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061205/cda_afghan_061205/20061205?hub=Canada

Cdns. ill-informed about Afghan mission: Fraser

Brig.-Gen. David Fraser is seen speaking to reporters in Kandahar in this file photo. (CP / Les Perreaux)

Canadian Press

Updated: Tue. Dec. 5 2006 6:02 PM ET

OTTAWA — The debate over Canada's role in Afghanistan has been ill-informed and bereft of facts, says the former commander of Canadian troops there.

Brig.-Gen. David Fraser, who returned from the war-torn country last month, says he's having a hard time getting used to the chill in the air - both in terms of the weather and the public discourse involving the mission.

"It would be nice to have a debate with all of the facts on the table," Fraser said Tuesday in a speech to the Canadian Institute of Strategic Studies.

"I'll tell you right now, the story Canadians are receiving is like an iceberg. They're only seeing one-third of it."

In part, the soft-spoken general blamed the media for focusing on the casualty count, rather than the more nuanced narratives of nation-building.

"What was reported this past summer was my operations in Sangin and Helmand; what I did to fight the Taliban," he said.

"No one reported the fact that I spent $20 million building roads, schools, wells and training and mentoring an Afghan corp commander."

In fact, there has been media coverage of reconstruction efforts, but access and information is often difficult to get.

Fraser's criticism follows similar comments by Prime Minister Stephen Harper who has said several times that the good work Canadians soldiers are doing often goes unreported.

What the Conservative government does not say is that civilian members of government agencies, such as the Canadian International Development Agency and the Foreign Affairs Department, are routinely barred from speaking with journalists on the ground about redevelopment projects.

Last spring, Fraser's own principal political advisor at Kandahar Airfield - a Foreign Affairs staffer - was not allowed to be quoted on the record by the embedded media.

Liberal defence critic Ujjal Dosanjh blamed the information vacuum on the Conservatives and their policy of muzzling ministers and officials.

"I have the utmost respect for Gen. Fraser, the work he's done, and I understand his frustration," said Dosanjh. "But it's really up to the government to provide information. And they have not been providing that information."

Opposition MPs and senators - especially parliamentary defence committees - have "fought tooth and nail" to be briefed on the latest goings on in Afghanistan, he said.

Speaking to NATO parliamentarians last month about anemic support for the mission, Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor conceded the government hadn't gone a good job engaging the public on the question of why the country was in Afghanistan.

Fraser, who was in charge of all coalition and NATO forces in southern Afghanistan, ended his overseas tour Nov. 1 and turned over responsibility to a Dutch general.

During his time on the ground, Canadians were involved in the heaviest fighting they've seen since the Korean War. A series of conventional and guerrilla-type battles as well as accidents claimed the lives of 36 soldiers and wounded over 200 others.

Public opinion polls reflected a deep skepticism for the mission when troops were first deployed to the unstable southern region last winter. The results in subsequent surveys have ebbed and flowed, depending upon the state of fighting and the number of casualties.

Without naming NDP Leader Jack Layton, who's called for Canadian troops to be brought home, Fraser took aim at critics and said it is important the Conservative government stay the course.

"Those people over there in Afghanistan asked for us to be there. They want us to be there. They continue to want to be there."

However, Dosanjh said it's not the job of the military to promote the mission - that's up to the government.

Fraser, who is on a speaking tour, said Canada's history of diversity and racial tolerance means it has a lot offer the fractious tribal country.

"When I met the governor, Assadullah Khalid, in Kandahar he led with a pistol eight months ago," he said.

"Today he picked the phone and picks up a pen. He leads by example. Ladies and gentlemen, that is huge progress."

© Copyright 2006 CTV Inc

I read a ton of Afghan conflict news every day, and believe me, there is virtually nothing anywhere about any construction or aid efforts.  It's even worse in Europe, where the media completely ignore the work of NATO forces.  News tends to focus on deaths, scandals, and on things like the German Afrika Corp symbol.  Canadians, believe it or not, likely have the friendliest media going when it comes to Afghanistan.  Of all the international news I read, Canada's is the most unbiased and balanced, with the USA coming in second.

I try to post different stories and perspectives daily at my site everyday.  The hot news can be had on any site, so I try to put in a good dose of op-ed from all sides and news that we usually might not get in NA:

http://www.mediaright.ca

I can't recommend any site more than The Torch for daily Canadian Military commentary ... there are a bunch of them posting and they usually manage to see things from a unique angle, or to dig up some gem missed by everyone else.  The URL is at the top of this thread.

Anyone see any press on this item?  http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/12/one-in-five-adult-males-is-missing-at.html

Mr. Speaker, tomorrow 500 wheelchairs will arrive in Kandahar, Afghanistan...

Each wheelchair proudly displays the flags of Canada and Afghanistan side by side symbolizing our friendship and national determination to help them through this difficult time. The wheelchairs will be distributed by our soldiers in Kandahar, giving our troops yet another opportunity to build new and important friendships with Afghanis.

I would like to honour Ms. Flessner for her dedication to this worthy project and encourage all Canadians to visit the Wheelchair Foundation website at wheelchairfoundation.ca to learn more about this exceptional organization...

The aid project, Operation Mobility, is a joint effort between the Wheelchair Foundation of Canada, the Canadian Forces and CIDA. The project was made possible by an anonymous donor from British Columbia, himself a former soldier and veteran of the Second World War.

If I missed the media coverage on this, I'd appreciate it if someone would point it out to me.  Otherwise, what a crying shame it didn't get covered.

BB - it took a bit, but just spotted the 500 wheelchair story - shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Canadian wheelchairs delivered to help Afghan civilians disabled by war
Bill Graveland, Canadian Press, 4 Jan 07
Article Link

CAMP SHIRZAI, Afghanistan (CP) - It's a scene that's becoming more common: a Canadian politician arriving to bring humanitarian aid and a photo opportunity is arranged to record the event.

The gift this time was something desperately needed in this country torn by war and littered with landmines - a donation of 560 wheelchairs.

It is common to see Afghan people of all ages walking with crutches, having lost a leg after stepping on an improvised explosive device. There are thousands of undetected landmines in Afghanistan, many dating back to the 10-year war against the Soviets that ended in 1989.

There is other evidence of the Soviet presence just a kilometre away from Camp Shirzai, home of the Afghan National Army. Dozens of Soviet-era tanks, many now covered with graffiti, remain behind barbed wire in a compound. They were left behind in the rapid Soviet withdrawal.

The presentation Thursday got off to a bumpy start. The Afghan man being given a wheelchair lost his leg in a suicide bombing but was still too ill to sit in it.

Russ Hiebert, parliamentary secretary to the defence minister and an MP from Surrey, B.C., made the official presentation.

"The independence provided by these rugged wheelchairs provides previously unimagined freedom to the recipients," said Hiebert, who explained the executive director of Wheelchairs Federation Canada is one of his constituents and spearheaded the drive.

"I'm here to recognize the mostly generous Canadians who have chosen to send donations, large and small, to meet the needs of the Afghan people," he said in a 12-minute address.

"Like these many generous Canadians, our soldiers and provincial reconstruction team are doing development work without seeking public recognition," Hiebert said.

During Hiebert's speech and that of the local doctor and Afghan National Army official, the elderly Afghan man was lying in a hospital bed largely ignored by the gathering. He was wrapped in a colourful Afghan blanket for the occasion.

When time came for the presentation, Hiebert shook hands with the man and talked to him through an interpreter. The nan was helped into the chair, in which he slumped in exhaustion while pictures were taken.

"As soon as I fix my arm I will be able to ride it," the man, identified simply as Mr. Ramazan, said through an interpreter.

"I was injured in the last suicide attack in Kandahar city. I thought somebody had shot at me. I lost my leg and hurt my arm in the suicide attack."

Ramazan told reporters he had just one wish for the future. "We need peace in Afghanistan and no fighting where things are going to happen," he said.

Dr. Adbul Qaium Pakhala, from Kandahar's Mir Weis hospital, said that in 2005 there were 5,176 Afghan civilians who had amputations as a result of fighting or vehicle accidents.

He said more aid like the wheelchairs is desperately needed.

Great info. the sad fact is that there isn't much info on the good that we are doing, and how we are helping out, the big stories are death tolls, and the wounded.

:skull:

More good stuff from PRT K'Har, shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Canada backs plan to open Afghan version of Islamic school in Kandahar
MURRAY BREWSTER, Canadian Press, 5 Jan 07
Article Link

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - The Afghan government hopes to open a madrassa - a school of Islamic education - in Kandahar province this year with the active encouragement of Canadians.

The country's Education Ministry has drawn up an $890,000 pilot program for a 16-classroom school, with a dormitory for 300 students, to be located in the vicinity of the provincial capital.

Unlike madrassas in northern Pakistan seen by the West as breeding grounds for fire-breathing extremism, the Afghan model would be based on Hanafi, a less fundamentalist form of Islam.

The plan is outlined in a Jan. 7, 2007, position paper written by the ministry. A senior education official confirmed the pilot program but refused to be quoted because he was not authorized to speak on the topic.

Support for the idea was percolating at the ground level from the Canadian Civilian-Military Co-operation team - known as CIMIC - in Zhari district where NATO fought a bloody campaign last fall to root out Taliban insurgents.

"They see education as one of the keys to solving their problems around this area," said Sgt. John Courtney, one of two CIMIC members at Patrol Base Wilson west of Kandahar.

Madrassas are religious schools that can substitute for elementary and higher education in some communities.

Many of the hard-core Taliban commanders that Canadian troops faced on the battlefield last year were educated in Pakistan, in Saudi-financed madrassas that teach Wahhabism, a stern and rigid form of Islam.

With the absence of religious education in Afghanistan, many parents have been forced over the years to send their children to Pakistan. Some end up in fundamentalist madrassas where the curriculum is more about making war on infidels than on education.

With that in mind, Courtney and his partner, Sgt. Chris Augustine, suggested to the district shura - or council - that two madrassas be established, one in the Zhari district and the other in neighbouring Panjwaii. Both of these farming regions, which form an arid arc west of Kandahar, have long been pro-Taliban.

By establishing Islamic schools, "we can avoid sending a lot of these local kids to foreign countries where they are negatively influenced in terms of ways and teachings," said Courtney, a reservist from Kingston, Ont.

The district elders support the idea and "were a bit surprised we suggested it," he said.

The desire of Afghans to have their own religious education is something that even the Taliban recognize. A few weeks ago, the Taliban made the surprising announcement that they intended to open schools in regions they claim to control.

The key to making madrassas non-threatening is in the curriculum.

Ministry officials intend to travel to Jordan later this year to see what the Jordanians are doing right that can be drafted into what would be taught at the new school in Kandahar, the senior Afghan education official said.

Canada supports education in Afghanistan and by extension this endeavour, said Gavin Buchan, the political director of the Canadian provincial reconstruction team in Kandahar.

It is not something western countries should fear, he said.

The Afghans "have a right to have a religious education component in their school system, in much the same way as we would have done with Catholic school systems in Newfoundland when I was growing up," said Buchan.

He has confidence that the country's Hanafi Islamic tradition, which is more liberal and generally more open to new ideas, will exclude intolerant militant teachings and would be open to a great deal of public scrutiny.

"I think the government would maintain a very close oversight of schools like that," he said.

"And when you talk to the Afghan government, they do say they would like Afghans who wish to study Islam in depth to be brought up in that tradition in their own country, rather than go to Pakistan where they might be exposed to extremist teachings."

Throughout the 1980s and much of the '90s, Saudi wealth and charities fuelled an explosive growth of madrassas throughout the Islamic world. Students of different ages, some as young nine, are taught to read and then take religious studies.

Some madrassas, particularly those near the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, preach fundamentalist doctrines. Many of their students are poor and have few other options for education. They became easy recruits for the extremist Taliban movement.

President Hamid Karzai's government, supported by donor countries, will be competing against these well-financed Saudi schools.

Kandahar PRT conducts mine awareness training for children
ISAF news release #2007-089, 5 Feb 07
Article Link

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (5 February) – The Kandahar Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT), at Camp Nathan Smith, conducted mine and unexploded ordnance awareness training for local children in Kandahar yesterday.

“The aim of this training session is to teach the kids three simple steps to follow if they find a mine or unexploded ordnance: don’t touch it; stay away from it and tell an adult, a policeman or an ISAF soldier,” said Master Cpl. Brendan Hynes.

Following the training, PRT members provided the children with a snack and donated rubber boots, socks, gloves, backpacks and toys. One child also received medical attention for an infection on his foot.

Many of the children who attended the training previously received medical attention during a medical outreach patrol conducted by the Kandahar PRT at the Kandahar City fire brigade’s compound on Jan. 7.

Back