• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The Picklies" why is it impolite?

sieran

Inactive
Reaction score
Reading history on the regiments, I've read on a number of sources that its impolite to refer the patricias as "Picklies". Ive asked other infanteers why is it impolite, and no one seems to know. Can anyone help me out?

I've asked the same, and never received an answer.  It's probably just an Army culture thing that gets carried over.  Some probably consider akin to calling a Royal a 'Chickenf***er', although I can't see the parallel.  I've never seen it as impolite or used in a derogatory manner; some of the older retired guys use the term quite nonchalantly.

I think it sounds kind of dumb myself, and never hear it used in day-to-day banter (VP or Patricia are what are used).

Interesting. It's been ages since I've heard the term "picklies" -- and very scarcely "VP," given the commonality of "Patricias."

In my experience, over the past several centuries, I've heard the central Canadian Regiment referred to as The RCR... and the R2eR would be quite justified in demanding a 'Royal' reference as well. .... but it has tended to be Patricias, Royals, and VanDoos.

They were pretty commonly referred to as "Picklies" during my time in the army.

I went past "old" a few years back, I'm now dessicated.

From what I gathered through conversations with my uncle, "Picklie" is used because if you spell out the Regiment's abbrevation: PPCLI... "Picklie" is what one would say is it was a word.

Now, call them "Ping Pong Champions of Long Island" or "Piss Poor Canadians who Couldn't Lick Italy" and you better know how to take a punch  ;)

The PPCLI Retired Senior NCO Club publishes, "The Picklie Post."  As a Picklie, I have no problem with the title or the singing of the Mickey Mouse Club song.

the Mickey Mouse Club song.

This is the purview of the Marine Corps......sung in true Disney fashion

M I C K E Y....M O U S E.....MARINE CORPS.... ;D

Back