• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The new 10$ bill

E

ender

The new 10$ bill is intended to be a tribute to Canada‘s peackeepers. Good idea.

But notice how the peackeepers featured are all female?

As a woman in the CF, it is sometimes nice to be reconized, but not at the expense of males. This is ridiculous. It‘s no secret that most of the military is made up of males, yet many PR pictures feature mostly females. But the 10$ bill takes the cake in having every soldier featured be a female.

This is probably all to meet the 25% females in the combat arms goal. But I think if they really wanted to reconize peackeepers, they would show a more representative sample.

It is a tribute to Canada‘s military, not soley to peacekeeping. Notice the war vets, the text of In Falander‘s Fields, and a war memorial surrounded by members of each arm of the forces (and they are not all female).

Ender, you seem very bitter.

:cool: Yard Ape

ok, maybe I am bitter.

it‘s just that women are disproprtianatly represented in all of the CF‘s propaganda. It causes resentment, which doesn‘t help you at all. I‘ve been fairly lucky so far: my unit accepts me as long as I can do the job.

However, I‘ve seen a lot of girls get through when they really shouln‘t have. It makes us all look bad. I don‘t want to be cut extra slack: if I‘m building a bridge I have to pull my own weight. I had to make that point recently when the put the only two females as ‘pin girl‘, even though by height I should have been lower panel party.

I guess it‘s the fact that CF publications don‘t reflect the reality. The reality is that female soldiers are the exception, and not the rule. And I think, that at least in the combat arms, that this will always be so.

I wouldn‘t mind having a few more females in my unit. But I want them to be able to do the job, and not make me look bad by association.

The bane of our existance:

"Style over Substance"

For my engineer friend:

Ubique is not our motto but our battle honour. And furthermore the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery (and its linage traced back to the RA) is one of the oldest regt in the Commenwealth. Therefore it would appear that "artillery people" (we prefer gunners or even herbies ) stole nothing. However we gunners are big enough and are willing to share.

Keep this in mind though, we are the only two regiments (corps) that have this as our battle honour because we have been eveywhere and we can be damn proud of that.

For my engineer and gunner friends:

If you both trace your histories back through the RA and the RE to a time before either had those names, you will find that once you were both one and the same. The huge siege engines had to be built on the battle field. Thier construction and use fell to the engineers of the day. There came a time when the complexity of the jobs got greater, and artillery pieces no longer had to be built on-site, it only became reasonable at that point for the two jobs to part ways. But ever since that common begining you have both been the only ones to always be there (aside form the logistics, but I am implying combat arms).

Thanks
:cool: Yard Ape

Which only goes to propve that you are never too old to learn something new.

Thanks Yard Ape

I was just bugging. (nothing like a little arms rivalry)

We don‘t need battle honours ‘cause we really are everywhere.

(although I think the informal motto of the engineers is cool too: improvise, adapt and overcome)

Cool history stuff Yard Ape.

Ubique.

Well to quote the good book, UBIQUE is the engineer motto that means "every where". As for the arty it means "All over the place". Engineers do not have battle honours. We all belong to the Corps, reg and res. Army and air force. The informal motto of the engineers is CHIMO. Just thought I would add my two cents

I knew the everywhere joke.

I see Chimo as being less of a motto then the Enginneer word. It‘s was originally a greeting, meaning "are you a friendly Eskimo", or better translated "Are you one of us!". So it‘s not so much of a motto as a greeting or a toast. But where getting into semantics here.

Engineers Rule!

Back