• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The journey begins

Awesome news, Celticgirl!!!! 
2.gif

Celticgirl,

That's great news. Take your time with the PT and be in the best shape you can be.
Good news, last time I checked the bug season in Quebec won't have started when you get to Farnham for your field exercise! Cold is easy to deal with, bugs are just annoying.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! And CFR, I'll take the cold over the bugs! Just pray that I don't get lost in the woods!  ;D

YAY!! Congrats Celticgirl! That's great to know, especially after several months of waiting for this and that! Now are you going to wake up at 5 in the morning to do your runs everyday?  >:D

Kruggle said:
YAY!! Congrats Celticgirl! That's great to know, especially after several months of waiting for this and that! Now are you going to wake up at 5 in the morning to do your runs everyday?  >:D

Um, yeah...of course I am.  ;)  My big challenge is going to be the push-ups and getting my number way up.

How is your application going? Are you still going with AEC as your first choice?

Way to go Celtic, perseverance has finally paid off. congratulations, and all the best in your career.

Chimo

Rodahn said:
Way to go Celtic, perseverance has finally paid off. congratulations, and all the best in your career.

Chimo

Thanks, Rodahn! I have appreciated all of your words of encouragement along the way. :)

Celticgirl said:
Um, yeah...of course I am.  ;)  My big challenge is going to be the push-ups and getting my number way up.

How is your application going? Are you still going with AEC as your first choice?

I am still waiting for pre-sec and I haven't had any updates for more than a month now. Hopefully I will get to know what's going on when I head down to the RC next week. AEC is still my first choice, but I have been having a lot of dreams about myself serving as an Air Nav.  ??? I guess it doesn't matter which one I will get in the end, as long as pre-sec comes through!

Kruggle said:
I am still waiting for pre-sec and I haven't had any updates for more than a month now. Hopefully I will get to know what's going on when I head down to the RC next week. AEC is still my first choice, but I have been having a lot of dreams about myself serving as an Air Nav.  ??? I guess it doesn't matter which one I will get in the end, as long as pre-sec comes through!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!! :)

Sept. 5 - I went to the RC today to see what was happening. I had been told I'd get the 'official' offer this past Tuesday, although I was already informed that I had been selected for AEC. Anyway, the MCpl said that they had just been busy this week and are understaffed, which I understand. I told her that I didn't mean to pester, I was just curious and happened to be passing by so I stopped in. So she brought out the offer form and we took care of everything right then and there. When she asked me if I "accept" the offer, I laughed and said, "Um, yeah!" She said, "If you'd said 'no', we'd have to kill you!" haha!  ;D

So...I was told that I would officially hold the rank of Second Lieutenant after I was enrolled even though my uniform would say "Officer Cadet" during basic training, and that I would also be paid as a 2Lt. while in St. Jean (no 'back pay' as they used to do it). Also, she said they would fly me out on Jan. 3rd for training beginning the 5th. I mentioned that I'd like to take my vehicle but she told me that it was risky due to the time of year (bad weather) and that if it were up to her, the answer would be "no". She is going to ask if they can fly me there and ship my vehicle.

So the next step is enrollment, which will be in mid-December. Is this really happening? Somebody pinch me! :)

Edited to add: I saw the MOC # as 184 (I think) on the form for AEC, not 039 as I had previously read somewhere. Did the MOC # change or did I just have it wrong?  :p

Oh hey, I didn't realize that you posted on this thread. I saw your application process sample and I was like ah! (hence the pm) ;D

I have been wondering about the Officer Cadet and 2Lt thing since the first day of my application. Thanks for clearing that up!

I would also like to take my vehicle if possible, but I am all the way in Vancouver, so that would be quite troublesome. On top of that, I have a class 7 license, which means I need to have my 'N' sign on at all times. However, some provinces don't even have that and I imagine it would be awkward to drive around with a green N on my car.  ;D

Kruggle said:
I have been wondering about the Officer Cadet and 2Lt thing since the first day of my application. Thanks for clearing that up!

Yeah, I don't know if that is just for DEO officers or what, but I won't argue with 2Lt pay! ;)

Kruggle said:
I would also like to take my vehicle if possible, but I am all the way in Vancouver, so that would be quite troublesome. On top of that, I have a class 7 license, which means I need to have my 'N' sign on at all times. However, some provinces don't even have that and I imagine it would be awkward to drive around with a green N on my car.  ;D

I can live without my car, just thought it would be convenient if I wanted to go to Montreal on a weekend or something. I do see their point about the risks. She told me that people have been killed on their way (driving) to basic training, so that is why they don't like recruits & officer cadets taking cars in the winter.  :-\ 

:cdn: Welcome to the family, now just focus on being mentally and physically strong to get through basic. 21 years ago my Basic Trg Plt Sgt said to me "just put up with this for 13 weeks and then you've got it made".  I now know what he meant. Oh yeah, leave your car at my house and fly out from Fredericton. I can bring it to you and fly back some weekend.

Highlander60 said:
:cdn: Welcome to the family, now just focus on being mentally and physically strong to get through basic. 21 years ago my Basic Trg Plt Sgt said to me "just put up with this for 13 weeks and then you've got it made".  I now know what he meant. Oh yeah, leave your car at my house and fly out from Fredericton. I can bring it to you and fly back some weekend.

Thanks, honey.  :-*  If they can't ship the car, I'll ask about flying out of Fredtown. Then again, I don't know how it's better for you to risk your life driving to St. Jean in the winter in lieu of me. That just displaces the risk from me to you. Are you not valuable to the CF? ;)

Celticgirl said:
I mentioned that I'd like to take my vehicle but she told me that it was risky due to the time of year (bad weather) and that if it were up to her, the answer would be "no". She is going to ask if they can fly me there and ship my vehicle.

This is crap.  I drove the route from Hfx to St-Jean numerous times and it is no worse driving there than it is here in the Maritimes.  It is not up to her, your will be allowed to take your car, lots of people do, you will only get paid the equivalent of what it costs to fly you, you will likely not get an advance so you will pay and get reimbursed (could take a few months...) and there is AMPLE parking there.  You will want your car, if you have one, believe me.  It will be off limits for the first month and then only on weekends and some evenings (if the staff allow you to go to Tim's...it has happened).

They will not ship your car up (at this phase in your training), you will likely be on a restricted move, like everyone going up there is.   If you can drive your car in the winter in CB/NS, you can drive it up there, and on the way up there.  The only part that I would even concern myself with is the route between Edmunstun and Riviere du Loop, and you just adjust to the conditions.  If you overnight in Edmunstun and do it first thing in the morning, you'll have no troubles at all.  That would be alittle more than the 1/2 way mark from Sydney.  If you want, you can PM me and I'll give you more info on the route there and recommended places to stop, etc. 

I posted a picture of Garrison St-Jean (The Mega) thats shows all the parking lots in this thread if you want to take a look. (2/3 the way down Page 4)

Eye In The Sky said:
If you overnight in Edmunstun and do it first thing in the morning, you'll have no troubles at all.  That would be alittle more than the 1/2 way mark from Sydney.  If you want, you can PM me and I'll give you more info on the route there and recommended places to stop, etc. 

My plan is/was to stay in Fredericton overnight (if you read Highlander60's post above, you'll notice that I have a place to stay ;)) and drive from there the next day.

Eye In The Sky said:
I posted a picture of Garrison St-Jean (The Mega) thats shows all the parking lots in this thread if you want to take a look. (2/3 the way down Page 4)

I'll check it out, thanks. Did I see something about Tim's runs being permitted through the week? *gasp*  :D

Celticgirl said:
I'll check it out, thanks. Did I see something about Tim's runs being permitted through the week? *gasp*  :D

No, you saw something about some instructors permiting one on some instances. That does not translate into Timmies runs being permited during the week.

CDN Aviator said:
No, you saw something about some instructors permiting one on some instances. That does not translate into Timmies runs being permited during the week.

You delight in crushing the dreams of others, don't you, Aviator?!  :crybaby:

Celticgirl said:
You delight in crushing the dreams of others, don't you, Aviator?!  :crybaby:

No. I dont relish in seeing students being pissed off because they set themselves up with unrealistic expectations. Theres plenty of things in the system that are frustrating, theres no need to import artificial frustrations.

Back