• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Evil Mother Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't I do that In the very first post? ???

Quality of medical care

Many of Teresa's donors were evidently under the impression that their money was being used to build hospitals. In 1991, Dr. Robin Fox, then editor of the British medical journal The Lancet, visited the Home for Dying Destitutes in Calcutta (now Kolkata) and described the medical care the patients received as "haphazard". He observed that sisters and volunteers, some of whom had no medical knowledge, had to make decisions about patient care, because of the lack of doctors in the hospice. Dr. Fox specifically held Teresa responsible for conditions in this home, and observed that her order did not distinguish between curable and incurable patients, so that people who could otherwise survive would be at risk of dying from infections and lack of treatment.

Fox conceded that the regimen he observed included cleanliness, the tending of wounds and sores, and kindness, but he noted that the sisters' approach to managing pain was "disturbingly lacking". The formulary at the facility Fox visited lacked strong analgesics which he felt clearly separated Mother Teresa's approach from the hospice movement. There have been a series of other reports documenting inattention to medical care in the order's facilities. Similar points of view have also been expressed by some former volunteers who worked for Teresa's order. Mother Teresa herself referred to the facilities as "Houses of the Dying".

In contrast to the conditions at her homes, Mother Teresa sought medical treatment for herself at renowned medical clinics in the United States, Europe, and India, drawing charges of hypocrisy from critics such as Hitchens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa

And don't start with the wikipedia-isn't-a-real-quote stuff.  If there's something in the above quote that doesn't add up, point it out and we'll discuss it further.

Michael Dorosh said:
Go through life eyes open, eyes closed, its all the same to anyone else in the end.

My eyes are wide open.  What I see is disturbing.  Somebody looks up Mother Theresa  on the internet, reads a few paragraphs on wikipedia, glosses over the entire life's work of a great humanitarian and focuses on the critisms of a select few. 

Who's next, Gandhi?  Albert Schweitzer? How about Nelson Mandela.  I bet you could google them and find criticisms.  That would be fun wouldn't it? 

Britney Spears said:
But even RCs must admit that all the money she took in for her charity ended up doing pretty much nothing for the people she purported to help, and in many cases her actions and words were directly contrary to what was best for their wellbeing.

Oh yeah, in the face of your overwhelming evidence they have no choice but to admit that. ::)

I know I said I would withdrawl from this, but I can't help myself. 

x-zipperhead said:
My eyes are wide open.   What I see is disturbing.   Somebody looks up Mother Theresa   on the internet, reads a few paragraphs on wikipedia, glosses over the entire life's work of a great humanitarian and focuses on the critisms of a select few.    

Who's next, Gandhi?   Albert Schweitzer? How about Nelson Mandela.   I bet you could google them and find criticisms.   That would be fun wouldn't it?  

Oh yeah, in the face of your overwhelming evidence they have no choice but to admit that. ::)

I know I said I would withdrawl from this, but I can't help myself.  

A link to some better reading on her might help; as I said, I don't know all that much about her.  I don't see how ranting and raving is going to convince anyone you're right.

I don't think I am ranting and raving nor am I trying to convince anyone of anything.  I think the position of someone who considers Mother Theresa evil or a crook speaks for itself. 

x-zipperhead said:
I don't think I am ranting and raving nor am I trying to convince anyone of anything.  I think the position of someone who considers Mother Theresa evil or a crook speaks for itself. 

Nice cop out. 

I'd say lock it up, Infanteer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back