• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Evacuation of Canadians from Lebanon Thread

It seems to me that this whole topic cries out for a change to our laws regarding DUAL citizenship.

In my opinion, if you want to be a Canadian, you have to drop the previous nationality, and SINK or SWIM with the rest of us here in Canada. No more "escape clause " or back up passport. Furthermore, if you live outside of Canada, you have to come BACK to Canada to renew your passport.

A further point............What is with this current Canadian law, that gives Canadian citizenship to a baby born in Canada to parents who are NOT Canadian citizens, or even legal immigrants to Canada ? This results in people coming here to have a kid, who will years later be able to sponsor his/her parents to come to Canada, under the Family Re-unification class of Immigration application, because their child is a Canadian citizen , but who has never llived in Canada. This is simply wrong.

Jim B Toronto.

jimb said:
What is with this current Canadian law, that gives Canadian citizenship to a baby born in Canada to parents who are NOT Canadian citizens, or even legal immigrants to Canada ?

That is the case for most countries, including the US. If you are born there, then you are a citizen automatically.

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=88638bc7-edd1-4363-b6d5-3805ead406ac

What you can do for your country
Why dual citizens should be forced to choose

Andrew Coyne
National Post

Saturday, September 23, 2006

More Columns By This Writer
Here's a statistic guaranteed to set your teeth on edge: Of the 15,000 Lebanese citizens evacuated from Beirut by Canadian Forces during last month's war -- the largest such operation this country has mounted since the Second World War, at a cost of $85-million -- some 7,000 are reported to have returned home. Home, as in Lebanon.

Why were Canadian ships sent thousands of miles across the sea to pluck another country's citizens out of harm's way? Because, as you well know, they are also Canadian citizens. That is, they are dual citizens, beneficiaries of a 1977 change in immigration legislation, and as such, though many have not lived or paid taxes in this country for several years, are entitled to all the protections the Canadian state affords.

Despite the public outrage this aroused at the time, the Harper government wisely decided the middle of a war was not the time to revisit the principle of dual citizenship: They were Canadian citizens, and that was that. But the war being now ended, the government is said to be considering whether to abolish this strangely ambivalent status, to which at least four million foreign-born Canadians, plus an uncounted number of native-born, lay claim.

If so, this would be an event of enormous symbolic importance. Moreover, it would fit this Prime Minister's broader aim, which is nothing less than to recast the meaning of Canadian nationhood -- as a moral project, in which we are collectively and individually engaged, rather than a simple dispenser of services; something that lays claims upon us, as much as it confers entitlements. And the very least claim it can make upon us is that we commit ourselves to it, to the exclusion of all others.

This asks no more of us than that we make a choice. It does not bind us permanently, nor does it impose any barrier to entry. We can be citizens of Lebanon first and then of Canada, or of Canada and then Lebanon. The only thing we can't do is be a citizen of both countries at the same time.

What's wrong with that? Nothing, if your view of nationhood is essentially service-based -- just as you can belong to two frequent-flier programs at the same time. But if you incline to a view of the nation as moral project, as a moral order we are in the process of constructing, then a higher degree of commitment is implied.

It seems to me that this latter view is pretty much intrinsic to the whole idea of nationhood. A nation is, after all, an abstraction. We know why we are members of a particular family or race or gender. But to say why we belong to a nation, especially this nation, requires us to give the matter some thought. And yet we know, intuitively, that it has something to do with moral purpose.

Provinces are essentially service-delivery agencies, inspiring the degree of loyalty that bloodless phrase deserves. But when we say we are Canadian, and swell with pride at the thought, it is because we invest it with some moral content. We associate the nation with our highest moral ambitions, as the vessel of our best selves.

But higher purpose is not achieved without reciprocal obligation. If a nation is something we do together, with and for each other, it requires us to make certain commitments to one another: to pay our taxes, to accept decisions that don't go our way, in extremis to lay down our lives for one another -- in short, to put each other first. The associations that inspire our fiercest loyalties -- our team, say, or our unit -- are not those that give things to us, but those that ask things of us. What, if anything, have we asked of ourselves?

If there was a moment when this thought began to crystallize in a lot of people's minds, it was a few years ago when Yann Martel, the winner of the 2002 Booker Prize for his novel The Life of Pi, referred to Canada as a "hotel." He meant it as a compliment, "the greatest hotel on Earth," but the image was jarring, almost transactional, implying the most fleeting sort of attachment.

And yet we have not drawn the appropriate conclusion. We still try to buy each other's affiliation, "selling" Canada to disaffected parts of the country on the basis of the benefits it can provide -- for what they can get out of it rather than what they can put into it. And we do not seem to notice that the more we have done so, the more disaffected they have become.

There is, however, an older tradition, memories of which lie buried deep in this country's collective consciousness, and it is one I believe the current Prime Minister is attempting to tap. You can see it in his invocation of our moral obligations in Afghanistan, in his unflinching challenge to Canadians to live up to our sometimes lofty notion of ourselves, even at the cost of Canadian lives.

Some look at our losses in Afghanistan and complain that we are bearing a "disproportionate" share of the burden. But there was a time when Canadians would have worn such distinctions with pride.

ac@andrewcoyne.com

This whole topic is beginning to get on my tits.  I was born in the UK, became a citizen at 15, and was in the army by 18.  I gave Canada 23 years of my life, proudly and without reservation.  I am Canadian to the core, and I am also a citizen of the UK, equally proudly, and anyone who doesn't like that fact can take a long hard suck on my lilly white English arse.

Sure.  But while you're in the UK do you expect the British government to look after your interests, and vice versa in Canada?  Or do you expect Canada to come riding to your aid in Britain, and vice versa?

Do you mean that if I become a Canadian citizen and get stranded and held "hostage" in beautiful downtown Brixton, Canadian Soldiers will n ot come and rescue me?  lol

Yes, I fully expect JTF-2 to come charging to the rescue when I am being threatened with a wilted leek by the St David's Parish Popular Front For The liberation of Tiger Bay. 

Edited upon further review of preceding posts.

This, from Hansard (Senate) 28 Sept 06....
http://www.parl.gc.ca/39/1/parlbus/chambus/senate/deb-e/032db_2006-09-28-E.htm?Language=E&Parl=39&Ses=1#13

"Notice of Motion to Authorize Committee to Study Evacuation of Canadian Citizens from Lebanon
Hon. Hugh Segal: Honourable senators, I give notice that at the next sitting of the Senate, I will move:

That the Standing Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs be authorized to examine and report on the evacuation of Canadian citizens from Lebanon in July 2006; and

That the Committee submit its final report no later than March 30, 2007, and that the Committee retain all powers necessary to publicize its findings until April 30, 2007."

Don't know enough parliamentary process to know when that'll be, though....

Any suggestions for questions they should be asking?  ;D

milnewstbay said:
Any suggestions for questions they should be asking?  ;D

Yeah:

1. How many were evacuated?
2. How many have now returned to Lebanon?
3. How much do we charge them?

Why waste one more cent on a bunch of thankless "Canadians of convenience".

Wes

It's not like the senate has anything better to do...

In order to ascertain the true development of this crisis, the said committee will have to have a holiday in Lebanon personally inspect the areas of destruction and non-destruction (read resort) to determine whether the Canadians should have been evacuated from those areas. Our poor hardworking Senators...tsk tsk...we demand so much from them, it's inhumane.

At the very least, this should be a joint Senate/commons jaunt inspection.

Blindspot said:
Yeah:

1. How many were evacuated?
2. How many have now returned to Lebanon?

those figures are already known. The Goverment is pissed because we gave them a free trip back to Canada they whined and cried about the conditions on the boat and now are back in Lebanon

Xfire said:
those figures are already known. The Goverment is pissed because we gave them a free trip back to Canada they whined and cried about the conditions on the boat and now are back in Lebanon
I couldn't believe what I was hearing on the radio. It was just short of unbelievable that these yuppies could whine about getting a free ride. What did they expect... that the Canadian government would send them a cruise ship? I mean really, these people aren't even living in Canada and when Canada comes to get them to safety they have the nerve to complain and whine.....

Why wouldn't they?.....as much as it sucks, it seems to work.

Blindspot said:
Yeah:

Unfortunately we are charging them nothing. We taxpayers are footing the 85 million dollar bill to evacuate these people from the country that they live in. :rage:  How screwy can things get?  Especially considering that normally the government asks people to repay them the cost of evacuation but in this case they decide not to, for people who don't even live in this country. 

neko said:
Especially considering that normally the government asks people to repay them the cost of evacuation but in this case they decide not to..

See:

It was just short of unbelievable that these yuppies could whine about getting a free ride

Could you imagine if they actually had to pay for their evacuation?

Er, I mean, we really should have been paying them for the pleasure of evacuating their families. Not to mention compensating them for the obviously second rate nature of it all. Imagine not having a working washroom while trying to flee a war zone? All i can say is "the horror, the horror."

On top of this, how many years has it been since most of these people paid taxes? Think of the administrative savings we've accumulated because of that! And to believe that we keeping it all for ourselves. tisk tisk.

couchcommander said:
See:

Could you imagine if they actually had to pay for their evacuation?

Er, I mean, we really should have been paying them for the pleasure of evacuating their families. Not to mention compensating them for the obviously second rate nature of it all. Imagine not having a working washroom while trying to flee a war zone? All i can say is "the horror, the horror."

On top of this, how many years has it been since most of these people paid taxes? Think of the administrative savings we've accumulated because of that! And to believe that we keeping it all for ourselves. tisk tisk.
;D

You know though, we may end up compensating them for their rough ride, just think if they decide to sue over it. ::)
And Layton would demand we pull our troops from Afghanistan to cover the cost.

Back