• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The End of the Virtual Land of the Free

I'd argue that the reason why Chinese kids (and Asian kids in general) can be academically smarter is due to the way they are educated.

However, that type of education is generally really good at short-term retainment of material, like preparing for university entrance exams. Not so much anything else. A good comparison would be taking Asian kids born/raised in other countries (with different education systems) and seeing how they compare with other kids. I suspect it's more "nurture" vs "nature".

Also, no one hears about the dumb ones. It is statistically impossible for every kid to be smart.

But I digress.

Speaking to those who know more about this subject than I, the Chinese are desperately seeking ways to adopt a more westernized approach to educating their children.

Their current command and control, micromanaging, 'seen and not heard' approach is more suited to that used by the West in the latter part of the 19th C in order to prepare youngsters for a life in the factories.

Clearly, this does not prepare students well for a life in the 21st C information age, and it will take them decades to change that culture... if ever.

Speaking to those who know more about this subject than I, the Chinese are desperately seeking ways to adopt a more westernized approach to educating their children.

Their current command and control, micromanaging, 'seen and not heard' approach is more suited to that used by the West in the latter part of the 19th C in order to prepare youngsters for a life in the factories.

Clearly, this does not prepare students well for a life in the 21st C information age, and it will take them decades to change that culture... if ever.
Yup.

The way to change it would be to allow Chinese educated abroad to revamp the education system. They can see both pros and cons of the Asian vs Western approaches.

Ironically, they are seen as "lazy and entitled" by the folks in China.

I am already seeing the young Caucasian kids working for Asian managers and know enough Asians who just shake their heads at our young people. It's not just educational content, but the Asian kids get discipline back home where they are required to do x hours of study and work hard. A lot of the teenagers I meet can be divided into two groups, those that get some form of stable and disciplined home life and those that don't. The ones that don't are often the ones with the issues, because they never meet a boundary they can't cross and often floundering and very aggressive to anyone that does put boundaries. Now this is a bit of a generalisation but generally holds true in about 80% of the kids I am seeing.
Spare the rod, spoil the child.

The amount of disrespect and violence facing teachers today is through the roof. Discipline is at a all time low in society. Lots of people demanding respect, yet refusing to give it to anyone else.

The amount of disrespect and violence facing teachers today is through the roof. Discipline is at a all time low in society. Lots of people demanding respect, yet refusing to give it to anyone else.
I was half joking at work today about adopting the Spartan way. I am sure y'all know what I mean.

Nice work, Justin. You sure showed those mega-corporations a thing or two ;)

All news in Canada will be removed from Facebook, Instagram within weeks: Meta​

Discovering news articles and videos on Facebook and Instagram will soon become a relic of the past, as Meta announced it is officially ending news availability in Canada.

Meta said Tuesday that within a few weeks, it will remove news for all Canadian users of its popular Facebook and Instagram platforms.

In June, the company started running a test that limited news for up to five per cent of users, but now it says it is moving out of the testing phase.

"In order to provide clarity to the millions of Canadians and businesses who use our platforms, we are announcing today that we have begun the process of ending news availability permanently in Canada," said Rachel Curran, head of public policy for Meta Canada. Curran previously served as a policy adviser for former prime minister Stephen Harper.

That means Canadians will no longer be able to share or view news articles and other content posted by publishers and broadcasters, including international outlets.

News links to articles, reels -- which are short-form videos -- or stories, which are photos and videos that disappear after 24 hours, are also expected to be affected by the block.

Nice work, Justin. You sure showed those mega-corporations a thing or two ;)

All news in Canada will be removed from Facebook, Instagram within weeks: Meta​

Discovering news articles and videos on Facebook and Instagram will soon become a relic of the past, as Meta announced it is officially ending news availability in Canada.

Meta said Tuesday that within a few weeks, it will remove news for all Canadian users of its popular Facebook and Instagram platforms.
Who's laughing now? I'd say Justin is as sources of news dry up there will only be the Mother Corp... The joke is on us...

In which the utility of "we demand you provide your free service in the manner desired by us" comes to its (foreseeable) conclusion.

Who's laughing now? I'd say Justin is as sources of news dry up there will only be the Mother Corp... The joke is on us...
I'm curious as to why folks have this hatred towards the CBC, but I don't see (or haven't noticed) Brits hating the BBC or Aussies hating the ABC with equal or more vigour.

If anything, those two are even more govt-funded - they have no commercials so 100% of the funds must come from somewhere.

I'm curious as to why folks have this hatred towards the CBC, but I don't see (or haven't noticed) Brits hating the BBC or Aussies hating the ABC with equal or more vigour.

If anything, those two are even more govt-funded - they have no commercials so 100% of the funds must come from somewhere.

Ah yes, CBC. The site of choice when Huffpost is too "far right".

...and yes, that is me dismissing a site out of hand. I do the same with far-right sites too.

It's probably the generation I belong to but I go to news sites to get news, not social media. Granted, I do it online. I've always wondered why people thought that other sites 're-broadcasting' information for profit, that they obtained free, was fair to people who created the content in the first place. Do people who believe 'mainstream media' has a nefarious agenda honestly believe that social media does not? That is somehow pure as the driven snow? You want to see media bias, read archived newspapers from a century or more ago.

Ah yes, CBC. The site of choice when Huffpost is too "far right".

...and yes, that is me dismissing a site out of hand. I do the same with far-right sites too.
That's fair.

So, honest question: When the CPC was in power, was the CBC still a "govt mouthpiece" because it was govt-funded, or anti-govt bc it was left wing?

Back