• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Depression / Anti Depressants Merged Thread

Is this what you did?

Quote from: Pieman on July 26, 2004, 13:08:29
If I was in your shoes,

You NOT!!! If you were you'd see how silly your suggestion was in relation to what he was asking....
Get a note from you're doctor? Is that like a note from your mommy giving you permission to show up at school late? Like the CF will make a decision on employing a person for the next 25 yrs with a simple note from a doctor.
Last time I checked, just a "note" wouldn't be accepted by DMed Pol or Recruit Boards. Being actual doctors they like to see testing and other scientific evidence that you are fit.

Actually if you REALLY MUST KNOW Armymedic, that IS what I did. So I was actually speaking from experience. Also, getting a letter (note, letter) from your doctor regards a past medical condition is actually quite common place in the recruiting process. (Do a search, quite common)   Many people gotten second opinion and evaluations outside the CF Doctors to support their medical file.   it does not mean a final decision your medical, but acts as support to your medical file.   The only difference between mine and Charlies situation is the time difference between the use of the medication. Which is why I said, he should talk to his recruiter about it and CLARIFY before he actually took any steps. Judging from Charlie's above post it sounds like he did just that and it is helping his situation.

If you had any problems with what I said, then why not talk about instead of launching into a personal attack?

Charlie, good luck with your application!

Armymedic said:
Charlie, you have good reason to worry. The regular force will NOT take you if you have had a Dx of depression and have been requiring medications to control in within the last yr....as many others may have told you.
If you do not get selected for this reason do not dispair. There is a really good reason for this:
Currently, the number one cause of death amongst CF soldiers is:

no, not accidents, as is the case amongs non military people of the same age, but....suicide.

Really?  That's rather frightening.  I'm not questioning it, (obviously you know what you're talking about) but where did you find that info?  I haven't been able to find it anywhere public...  I suppose it stands to reason, given the battery of psychological testing the CF does.  Do you know if other military (US, Britian) have the same statistics?  (I'm more looking for a comparison to the other forces than anything.  Curiosity prior to joining, I guess.)  Thanks, Armymedic.

And to Charlie, when I was younger, I was also diagnosed with ADHD.  My father (bless him) refused medication for me for which I am thankful.  I have also had the opportunity to work with youth who have similar problems (ADHD & depression), and I'm sure that once you are cleared from the medication, not only will you be able to apply to the CF, but will be a much better potential member as well.  Build a plan to get you from here to there, with your family, physician, and (use the resources available) the recruitment centre.  You've got a year, so now's the time to make sure your physical fitness is more than adequate.  Take a military history course via correspondence, something to keep your interest up in the meantime.  Nobody likes to wait, but done properly, waiting can be productive.  All the best,

B.N.S.

To all, ref my post to Pieman above, I will digress and apologize for my rude comments. Your last post was much more articulate then the first.

For all, if you are giving advice, try to put your frame of reference to the advice. It helps to say I did this, or my friend tried that so that people have a context of what you are talking about.

As you may guess, I am seriously against the recruitment of anyone with a history of mental health problems/diseases. Other then the fact too many soldiers kill themselves, knowing where I work and whom I have to deal with may give you some insight to the base of my opinion.

Ref actual numbers of suicides, I don't believe thats accessible, but it has been recognized and programs have been put in place to attempt to reduce the numbers. Initiatives such as reintegration training, pretour counselling and increasing numbers of social workers accessable to soldiers are a couple programs which are a direct result.

Armymedic, thanks and apology accepted. I realise now that I also blundered when I wrote my original post. I was trying to write it in a way that kept my experince of the situation 'under the hat', but I see now that was a mistake which is what caused this little spat. So please accept my apology.

I think we can all understand your concern about the mental health of soldiers coming into the forces.

Being ADD or ADHD doesnt mean they are goona say no to you, infact they will ask for your Doctors note saying that it will not effect you with training and duties..
How do i know this, Becuase I am ADD and this is what i was asked to get, and regardless to contrary belief, ADD is with you for life, some learn to coax with it better to almost the point it doesnt really affect them anymore, but you never get rid of it. That said... Be 100% upfront with your recruiter about it and the medical guy at the recruitment center will send you home with a paper that needs to be filled out and signed by your doctor.

As for the Depression, I cant comment on that best just to ask them.

good luck!

hey hows it going everyone

i applied to the CF reserve in november of 2004 (approx. 2 months ago) and everything is good to go.. but i have one question for anyone who has an informed answer for it

my medical and my interview went perfectly, but the only thing holding my file back is the note from the doctor i needed regarding a past depression episode i had. i was on antidepressants for approximately a year and a half, but i was taken off them last march of 2004 and i have had no symptoms as of then nor any side effects - i have been diagnosed as mentally stable and my chances of depression recurring are slim to none. i handed in the note today, and its being reviewed and they told me ill be starting BMQ tomorrow (friday january 14) if theyre fine with my doctors note..... so.. if i have been off the medication and symptom free for 10 months... as well as have an excellent prognosis.. should i be good to go?

thanks for any input guys

i should restate that this application was for reserve not regular... so if that makes any difference

thanks again

infamous_p said:
so.. if i have been off the medication and symptom free for 10 months... as well as have an excellent prognosis.. should i be good to go?

Only the DND doctor (in Borden) who reviews recruit files with medical issues can give a definitive answer.

See the Medical threads in the Recruiting FAQ for similar issues and remarks on the Medical Review process:

http://army.ca/forums/threads/21101/post-103980.html#msg103980

I was on Paxil for about 18 months, I got off in '02.  I have been absolutely symptom free since then but they still made me get a psycholigist's letter to prove that.  It wont make a difference if you go PRes or Reg, they both have the same standards.  The only thing I can think of that would hold you back is time: they may not think that 10 months is long enough. 

Hi folks,

I've been wanting to join the Navy for a few years now and I've researched it quite a bit, but a few years back by doctor put me on a mild anti-depressant for a year. I'm not on it anymore but I was wondering if this would disqualify me for acceptance into the Canadian Forces?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Justin.

You're better off to speak directly with the people in the know. Phone your local recruiting centre and speak with their medical staff. My guess is that when you apply and go through your medical, they will ask for some additonal information (type, duration etc). I'm no healthcare professional, but it's just my opinion.

Good luck.

Hello:

I have ready many threads about depression and trying to get into the military, however I have not seen any that talked about having been on anti-depressants in the past and still getting into the military.  Does anyone have a positive experience like that which they could share?

Cheers

I am in a similar boat - Four years ago my family doctor prescribed Paxil for me. I tried it for a couple of months. My stresses were more situational than clinical depression. After applying and having a medical done by the military Warrant Officer, I went to my family doctor and a psychiatrist who both gave me clean bills of heath with the "would not hesitate to recommend Mr. *** for military duty. Hopefully that will eleviate any concerns. The point is, pro-actively obtain the evaluation and letters from your physician(s). Hopefully that will stomp out any concerns pre-emptively.

Good luck, if I ever get my med docs back from Borden I'll let you know if it succeeded. You may also wish to look at this thread : http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26645.0.html

Cheers

I was on paxil for about a year ending in 2001 and my medical cleared on the second attempt, I had to get a letter from a shrink saying I was good to go.

coupland said:
Hello:

I have ready many threads about depression and trying to get into the military, however I have not seen any that talked about having been on anti-depressants in the past and still getting into the military.   Does anyone have a positive experience like that which they could share?

Cheers

I had depression in the past, and I was on a heavy daily dose of antidepressants. I was cleared and accepted into the military upon acquiring letters from my psychiatrist. My file was cleared on the second attempt, no problem.

Hello All,
I have been trying to get into the military for just about a year now and I finally got to do all the tests and since I had past depression which has been over for 2 1/2 years now my family doctor, whom I've only known for 1 month thinks that I'm not suitable for the military because of my past depression. I've told him over and over that I am fine now more fine then I've ever been in my life but yet he still seems to think that being in the military might trigger my depression to come back. I've had lots of ups and downs in my life in the past 2 1/2 years and the depression still has'nt come back. Plus I love the military and think that it will just make me happier since my family and husband are currently serving.
Has anyone else had this delay?

And with the forms your family doctor is suposed to fill out for the recruiting office, is the doctor aloud to charge 25$ a page? I have already spent 30$ for getting my files tranfered from Saskatoon (home town) to here in Halifax. I just think it's outragous that he is charging me for the recruiting offices property.

Sailors_Gal13 said:
And with the forms your family doctor is suposed to fill out for the recruiting office, is the doctor aloud to charge 25$ a page? I have already spent 30$ for getting my files tranfered from Saskatoon (home town) to here in Halifax. I just think it's outragous that he is charging me for the recruiting offices property.

Yes the doctor can charge you, if the provincial government will not pay for these forms to be filled out.

Sailors_Gal13 said:
Hello All,
I have been trying to get into the military for just about a year now and I finally got to do all the tests and since I had past depression which has been over for 2 1/2 years now my family doctor, whom I've only known for 1 month thinks that I'm not suitable for the military because of my past depression. I've told him over and over that I am fine now more fine then I've ever been in my life but yet he still seems to think that being in the military might trigger my depression to come back. I've had lots of ups and downs in my life in the past 2 1/2 years and the depression still has'nt come back. Plus I love the military and think that it will just make me happier since my family and husband are currently serving.
Has anyone else had this delay?

I would get a second opinion if I was you. It may cost more money but in the long run it would probably be worth it.

9R Domestic said:
Yes the doctor can charge you, if the provincial government will not pay for these forms to be filled out.

Some (not all) Doctors have a habit of charging silly prices for simple forms...

Personally, I had to get a form filled out when I joined, by a psychologist I had seen for a while at one point... we had a brief (ten minute) chat, he filled out the forms, and I was blown away when he didn't charge me a cent for it, just said best of luck on getting in.

Hi Sailorsgal,

Concur with 9R domestic, getting a second opinion wouldn't hurt. 2.5 years seems like a significant amount of time to go by. From reading some threads on this site it seems like if you took prozac or valium, etc. during that time, it may be an issue you run into during your recruiting process. Also, depression is sometimes recurring so you have to consider that it may come back while you are in the service, and how would you cope with that.  Maybe you can call your recruiting office and get them to put you in contact with someone familiar with the medical policies in the CF.

i am on antidepressants, for being ... depressed! i didn't push to get therapy or any other more indepth treatment than a perscription, really, so i'm not listed as being anything other than having "major depression" in my med file. will i not be approved for certain positions, or all of them? i take one pill, once a day. i can go without for one day; two days i get headaches and vertigo. three days the withdrawal symptoms increase, and etc. it's bearable, just pretty unpleasant.

and my perscription is -3. and i'm 5'8" and 110pounds (172cm and 50kg) and pretty weak. (and also female... ^^)

thanks

Back